Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.6

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xudo

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4.1

Post by Xudo »

Confirmed.

I think new solution for equipment isn't compatible with old animation utils. More than that, animation in original addon uses deprecated syntax and needs general update.
Shasha

Post by Shasha »

xudojnik wrote:After some time of work, I have made it.

It uses original sound and images. They are missing in this archive because of the size.
Zombie_Apocalypse_RPG.rar
Download original add-on and unpack this archive to Zombie_Apocalypse_RPG root folder.

I tried to make minimal impact on gameplay. But there are some changes:
* Members of the 41st Airborne Task Force are can't fight with zombies by bare hands. You need to find melee weapon for it.
* Shovel and pickaxe are no longer weapons
* Hand grenades mechanic was altered. Airborns are supplied by 1 HE at the beginning and have a limit of 3 at a time.
* To interact with world around you, use "Take a closer look" button of context menu.

Feel free to notify me about any glitch you will encounter while playing.
The hole, near the guy with an axe. You can dig it, but you can't go down.
There's a random Carbine weapon 10-3 in the ground near the train station.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

:hmm:
The OP has gone for nearly, hmmm...at least since May 27th, before I could sent him a last PM.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

You can download here new version of zombie apocalypse.
I have fixed some glithes and animations, but it still need testing and further optimisation.

I want to split original content of addon from my framework. Main goal of this is to make design of content styled as "zombie apocalypse" easier.

I'm going to write some guidelines and tutorials which will contain all information you need to create your own zombie apocalypse encounter.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Wait...u mean, u are the new maintainer? :hmm:
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

AxalaraFlame wrote:Wait...u mean, u are the new maintainer? :hmm:
I suppose so. Almost anything in wesnoth are open-source, so I think there is nothing wrong with picking up abandoned abandoned addon.

But do not post bugreports to my PM, please. Use this thread for reporting.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

xudojnik wrote:
AxalaraFlame wrote:Wait...u mean, u are the new maintainer? :hmm:
I suppose so. Almost anything in wesnoth are open-source, so I think there is nothing wrong with picking up abandoned abandoned addon.

But do not post bugreports to my PM, please. Use this thread for reporting.
The hell is all this crap I'm reading here?

Just because I don't update it all the time because it's mostly finished aside of small bugs bugs doesn't mean it's abandoned, nor I'm dead, or anything along those lines.

The time I spent on Wesnoth nowadays, which indeed isn't as much as before, is almost fully spent on the 18th Century Era, for which I'm making(remaking actually since I wasn't satisfied with the first result) a campaign.

Now, if you want to make an add-on, put the effort and make it yourself.

Sure I don't mind it if you use the images and ideas as a base to start.

But don't just steal years-worth of work and trial and error on the pretext it's open source.

Also, you didn't even message about it once.

Now I'm glad you like my add-on, but don't go taking it over without my permission. :D
xudojnik wrote:I had a look at source of this mod. Code seems ... autogenerated and completely unfriendly to developer.

I say nothing against the storyline yet. You can say he is good in "art" of gamedesign, but he fails in it's technique aspects.
Well I'm sorry, when I make something I don't organize it in such a way that random people who attempt to take over my work will find comfortable to read.

I find columns way, way less anoying to read that's why all my projects use a single column of text in cfg files, and I always modify them to be that way if they aren't.

Reading something like this gives me a headache:
(Random example)
Spoiler:
xudojnik wrote:1. No spacing
2. New [set_menu_item] for each option in the game. (thats why context menu appears very slowly) Each in it's own preload event. (it's better to use prestart)
3. There is a lot of same pieces of code. (because of this, size of mod so large) It's better to use macroses.
1-As I said, I like that way. Problem?
2-Preload doesn't lead to corrupted save files, unlike prestart does.
3-It used to use even less macros than it does now.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on August 7th, 2012, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PapaSmurfReloaded

About bug reports:
Spoiler:
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

:lol2:
Okay. I will fork you.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:2-Preload doesn't lead to corrupted save files, unlike prestart does.
2. The problem is not in chosen event, but in the design "each action in it's own menu_item".
Do you understand, what Wesnoth iterates over all of them and checks every [show_if] filter before displaying the context menu?
You have 107 (!) context menus total. And each contain it's own filter.
This is why delay between right-click and context menu appearance so long.

In my design there is only two menu items: examine tile and throw grenade. And the delay is not THAT long.

3. The fact that the design had been worse, not a serious reason for the protection of poor design.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:Haven't actually tried to make it do AoE damage, not sure if it's possible, might be.
In the archive I posted to this thread, grenades are used via context menu item. So I think it IS possible.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:It isn't supposed to work, how could you snipe a bat swarm?
While reading the "sniper" weapon special, I have noticed it.

You can take my implementation of timer for the red flower. Everything else is just not backward compatible.
PapaSmurfReloaded

xudojnik wrote::lol2:
Okay. I will fork you.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:2-Preload doesn't lead to corrupted save files, unlike prestart does.
2. The problem is not in chosen event, but in the design "each action in it's own menu_item".
Do you understand, what Wesnoth iterates over all of them and checks every [show_if] filter before displaying the context menu?
You have 107 (!) context menus total. And each contain it's own filter.
This is why delay between right-click and context menu appearance so long.
If you think you can improve the game speed and how the events work and their efficiency(without changing anything in the actual game content) feel free to send me the cfg files, I'll check them and if I like it I'll add them and add you to the credits.

And make sure that saved games can actually be loaded without crashing.

You can as well send your idea of AoE grenades in a txt file.

And if possible, keep the text in a column.
AxalaraFlame

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4.1b

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Recently I just finished this game by 347 turns. The gameplay speed is largely improved comparing to the old version, in which version we could only move 4 hexes per turn. That took me 800+ turns to finish, shix. :augh: However, the game is still proceeding slowly. I believe we can improve it by:

1. Adding more signpost points to the teleport lists, and let them work bidirectionly.

2. Fix the problem of units somehow lost the ability of retriving the movement points back after moved, even if there is no enemies as far as eyes can see. This setting, however, can be considered as the most unstable and unreliable setting in this game, because it turns out to be working in a rather weird way. Sometimes you cannot find any single enemy in the whole map, or you forget to kill a really lowly zombie somewhere which you have seen before, but you just cannot move further anymore; what's more, when a teammate keeps retriving his movement points back and continues to move forward exploring the pass, you wree thrown up far far behind, but...hey wait a second, a zombie! You lost this ability to move and move again, and he is gonna take all them down when you could hardly catch up...It is just so buggy and unreliable.

3. I found that we are required to get pitchfork and shovel to find secret plots. That change is actually unnecessary, because it draws the already low gameplay speed even lower, and without hints many players just dunno how to move on and give up there...I suggest to erase all these tool-requirements in these plot explorations.

4. A bug. In the restricted area of military, you found that after you unelectrified the gate, it is still not opened. It remains "flat, impassable" terrian, which means my guys gotta move back and forth in the sewers if we want to go there or come back, waste another 30+ turns moving around. This bug was ignored before because that does not make much sense fixing it, but now since there is a teleporting point just in front of the door it will be really important.

5. "Hers" grave in the forest is too unconspicuous, somehow waste a lot of time to find out.

6. In the sewer fights, I found that this part of plots watse a lot of time moving in the sewers. I suggested to change some of these shallow terrian as ford terrian, thus troppers move faster.

In addition, ajabeer is so disappointing. :lol2: I doubled his damage points of both ranged and melee, still feel him mean no much threats to me. Using a remington to slow him down, and all people pour out fire by AKM or Hellsing weapons, he perishes so easily.
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on November 2nd, 2012, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I played the scenario with my friend about a week ago, and we had the same problem with the military base gate not opening. I'd also agree about Aljabeer being a pushover; the hellhounds guarding the entrance were a much harder fight than the boss himself.

I was pleased to see the cave portals now had an option box, but there was no obvious indicator that the portals were single-use. If I hadn't the played the map before and been able to warn my friend, he would have tried to fit both his soldiers through one portal, resulting in one of them being trapped with no backup and only the hellhounds for company. Maybe the same message box that asks if you want to go through the portal should say that it's single-use.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Oh, forget something. I feel that Helsing weapons are actually lamer than those I could collect from armory. I get a 14-3 remington shotgun/spread by adding one shell, a 20-2 flamethrower by adding one barrel, 20-1 remington sniper/slow, colt-python pistol 14-2 slow, with only "his" Helsing weapon of arcane damage. "Hers" weapon, however, is too risky to use. Its damage is really high, but it does not have any additional effects, nor does it provide precision, so I equipped my guy with an enhanced remingtoon instead.

Besides, we saw the new dawn coming. When would we see the ZA episode2? I was really expecting that :)
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on November 4th, 2012, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PapaSmurfReloaded

I'll try to fix some of those issues next time I publish a version, maybe tomorrow since it isn't a big deal.
AxalaraFlame wrote:Besides, we saw the new dawn coming. When would we see the ZA episode2? I was really expecting that :)
To be quite honest that's unlikely to ever happen, I've honestly lost interest in Wesnoth, I don't play it anymore.

I even dropped my 18th Century Campaign which was about 80% completed because I just couldn't garner the interest need to finish it, let alone get the spark of creativity required to make something that doesn't suck.

I made ZA during one of those rare outbursts of creativity and dedication I used to get, at first I actually was trying to make some sort of "Counter-Strike" like game addon, but turning a FPS into a turn based strategy game prolly wouldn't have worked out, so in the end I decided to use those images in a zombie-killing game.

(With all the knowledge I gained during the making of ZA I could probably attempt to make something like along the lines of the original project, though I don't know if it would actually be fun to play)

I worked one month straight from scratch until the release the first version, making and decorating the map, was a painfully dull task, though in the end it was worth it. I'm quite sure that ZA is to this day the only Wesnoth add-on that has such levels of decoration and detail in its map.

At some point I did actually think about making a second chapter(that's why the vampire behind the outbreak actually escapes from the final battle) but the debugging and game balancing dragged on and I also began working again on 18th Century, and then I lost interest in Wesnoth.

Anyway, the answer is no, I don't think anything along the lines of a second chapter is ever gonna made, not by me at least. ZA is the most colossal project I've ever worked on, making a 2nd chapter of about the same quality(shorter though, then again, I never intended ZA to be as long as it is, it just turned out that way) would take more energy than I can invest in a game I don't play anymore and have little interest in.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on November 4th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Bro, of my sincerest honesty and based on the experiences of played 120+ add-ons of three versions of wesnoth, yours ZA and 18th centry is really illustrious masterpiece. It would be a regretable loss if you don't play wesnoth anymore, because you start a new era! :D The Conquest series learnt you, because you were the oringinal one who created the finely made maps of Europe and North America et cetera. Besides, ZA must be the best RPG I have ever seen in wesnoth. It is so big, so delicate, so beautiful...just little buggy you know. Each time new versions made, old bugs solved, new bugs come up from some places where there was no bugs once again.