Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.6

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AxalaraFlame

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4.1

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Where the hell is the OP!? :annoyed:

Guy, June has come! I have a striking news to tell you!

Recently, I host a vote for add-ons in the official forum of china. Chinese users voted both of your 18th centry warfare and Zombie Apocalypse on rank 6 and 8! We declared that your add-ons have reached the triumph of map designing in Wesnoth! Congradulations!! :D

Please kill these bugs ASAP. We all hope it get updated someday. :)
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Recently played this mod, and found that it is pretty good.
I like the huge amount of scenery. But boots near (on separate hex) the bed looks odd. I think image of boots (or knapsack) merged with the image of bed will look better.

Teleportation via right-click menu is a good solution. Can you add text labels on the destination tiles with signs?

Graveyard in the middle of the town near water and far from morgue is not normal for real towns. Library on the opposite corner from the school and from the residential area looks strange too.

I spend a lot of time hanging around on the stage "get to the restricted area trough the Sewers". Only after some time I understood, what "!" is the quest objective. Can you substitute "!" with the "?" (which is uniform "point-of-interest" marker)?

I don't like how much time you need to wait in two cases:
* appearing of context menu (after RMB click)
* grey PC player takes its turn
As a workaround for second case, you can delay spawn of zombies to the moment when the player should meet them.

Something about characters:
* Because of something, "sniper" weapon special on Rem M7 doesn't work on the "Bat swarm" (not sure about its name. I talk about thing in the sewers, which have "swarm" attack)
* Characters don't need pistol WITH the machinegun/shotgun. Only one makes sense.
* Its better to use HE grenade by RMB option, because they always is "the best attack option" and player always need to change attack weapon. Why it does not cause AoE damage?
* I think, you need to rethink AMLA of characters. Additional hp makes them so tough, so battles against zombies are no longer "challenge".
* Existence and usefulness of "sniper" in zombie-shooter is under the big question. Shotgun can fullfill the role of "slowing" weapon.
* Wide variety of powerful melee weapons had its side effect: weak zombies don't want to attack characters.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Guy above, it is not just "pretty good", it is excellent! :mrgreen: However the OP's disappearence is a pity.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

While it is unfinished, it can't be "excellent". Only "Pretty good" in my scale of quality.

I had a look at source of this mod. Code seems ... autogenerated and completely unfriendly to developer.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Code seems ... autogenerated and completely unfriendly to developer.
??what does this indicate?? :? I don't really get it...could you name some?
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

It is hard to understand, modify and support it.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

I have read the whole file of the story to help myself complete it asap; I didn't find any part of it offensing the developers, let alone "completely unfriendly"
Anyway...this topic is no longer important if the OP does not come back. He has disappeared for more than a month! He is a genius, really; if u don't believe it, download 18th centry warfare and check his maps. That is the triumph of wesnoth map editing! :D
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Did you really found nothing unfriendly in 2'700 lines of this (original formatting)?
Spoiler:
I say nothing against the storyline yet. You can say he is good in "art" of gamedesign, but he fails in it's technique aspects.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Sorry...I don't really get it. :oops:
could you elaborate the point of where it is "unfriendly"? In my eyes these are just some codes to restrict the concition for me getting a Beretta...
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

1. No spacing
2. New [set_menu_item] for each option in the game. (thats why context menu appears very slowly) Each in it's own preload event. (it's better to use prestart)
3. There is a lot of same pieces of code. (because of this, size of mod so large) It's better to use macroses.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

I see...so it is programmed inadequeately, right? I think once the OP comes back, he will fix it. :) Then where is the unfriendly part?
junoslord

Post by junoslord »

I really like this idea... however trying to play single player is a real -----

In addition to taking so long to load each turn, there are lots of wasted movement points, guys 3 and 4 level up way faster than the other two...

What would happen (for my own use) if I changed it from four teams of one to one team of four... Would it still work? If not what would I have to do to make it work, or is it "too complicated" for a noob like me?
America-- Land of the Free, home of the Brave! "And now that we've taken care of the Braves we're coming after the Free."

"BANNED!!! What the hell do you mean BANNED? All I did was call one narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi moderator a narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi!"
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

junoslord wrote:What would happen (for my own use) if I changed it from four teams of one to one team of four...
If you change things in this manner, you can get:
* 1 playable unit and 3 unplayable units
OR
* 4 clones

RPG addons in Wesnoth usually designed to use one unit per side. By changing this, you can overcomplicate gameplay. (Player will have to control which unit will get power-up. It is 1 additional menu.)

Its possible to limit the number of kills per turn.
At the moment for your own use it is much easier to control killing blows rather than changing the game.

UPDATE:
To implement timer that ticks from 0 to 10, autor have created 10 (!) new-turn events for each phase :augh:
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

After some time of work, I have made it.

It uses original sound and images. They are missing in this archive because of the size.
Zombie_Apocalypse_RPG.rar
(87.42 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
Download original add-on and unpack this archive to Zombie_Apocalypse_RPG root folder.

I tried to make minimal impact on gameplay. But there are some changes:
* Members of the 41st Airborne Task Force are can't fight with zombies by bare hands. You need to find melee weapon for it.
* Shovel and pickaxe are no longer weapons
* Hand grenades mechanic was altered. Airborns are supplied by 1 HE at the beginning and have a limit of 3 at a time.
* To interact with world around you, use "Take a closer look" button of context menu.

Feel free to notify me about any glitch you will encounter while playing.
Shasha

Post by Shasha »

xudojnik wrote:After some time of work, I have made it.

It uses original sound and images. They are missing in this archive because of the size.
Zombie_Apocalypse_RPG.rar
Download original add-on and unpack this archive to Zombie_Apocalypse_RPG root folder.

I tried to make minimal impact on gameplay. But there are some changes:
* Members of the 41st Airborne Task Force are can't fight with zombies by bare hands. You need to find melee weapon for it.
* Shovel and pickaxe are no longer weapons
* Hand grenades mechanic was altered. Airborns are supplied by 1 HE at the beginning and have a limit of 3 at a time.
* To interact with world around you, use "Take a closer look" button of context menu.

Feel free to notify me about any glitch you will encounter while playing.
The attack animations (guns) does not appear always. Just at some positions.