Age of Trials v0.3.2 (3 February 2012)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atz
Art Contributor

Re: Age of Trials v0.3.2 (3 February 2012)

Post by Atz »

Update again.

Some bugfixes and balance changes, but the biggest change is that there is now an AoT+Default era, if anyone wants to play AoT factions with the mainline ones. It's not balanced, of course, but some factions might work okay.
AlaskanAvenger wrote:Hadn't seen this era before as I didn't seriously join the forum till past the last update. Just tried it out, and was fairly impressed. Better graphics then many with unique feels to some of the factions. Will definitely play around more with this era.
Thanks!
RenoOfTurks

Post by RenoOfTurks »

That is a really really nice era, i especially love the free lizard(remind me "Free saurians" from EOS, another great faction!)
I doasn't understeand why in "the People's Front" there are 3 units cost 22 gold...i think is not balanced, but maybe i'm wrong i've not played that faction well

I hope we can see that factions in the Ageless Era too :O
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

RenoOfTurks wrote:That is a really really nice era, i especially love the free lizard(remind me "Free saurians" from EOS, another great faction!)
Thanks!
...I doasn't understeand why in "the People's Front" there are 3 units cost 22 gold...i think is not balanced, but maybe i'm wrong i've not played that faction well
They're that expensive because you're only supposed to get a couple of them - the other PF units are very cheap, but they're also pretty fragile and not good for defending. The general idea is that you should attack with a bunch of cheap units at night, then hide behind the tougher, more expensive ones during the day.
RenoOfTurks

Post by RenoOfTurks »

I tryed the faction well and yes, 22 gold is the right cost ;)
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I've encountered a bug while playing with Age of Trials factions. It only happens if I play on a randomly generated map with Age of Trials. Wesnoth freezes while loading the game, and displays a dialogue box with this message.
dialogue box wrote:Condition ‘str.size() <= 4’ failed at /Users/simon/source.wesnoth.1.10/projectiles/Xcode/../src/../src/terrain_translation.cpp:716 in function ‘string_to_layer_’’
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

Temuchin Khan wrote:I've encountered a bug while playing with Age of Trials factions. It only happens if I play on a randomly generated map with Age of Trials. Wesnoth freezes while loading the game, and displays a dialogue box with this message.
dialogue box wrote:Condition ‘str.size() <= 4’ failed at /Users/simon/source.wesnoth.1.10/projectiles/Xcode/../src/../src/terrain_translation.cpp:716 in function ‘string_to_layer_’’
Sorry for the slow response - don't have much time for Wesnoth these days due to real-life demands.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what would cause that error. It appears to be a function call in a file dealing with terrain translations, or possibly projectiles? AoT does not modify terrain, so I'm not certain why it would be causing issues with something called terrain_translation.cpp. It may be a weird interaction with other UMC, if you're using anything else.

If anyone with a knowledge of WML knows what would cause this, it would be appreciated. I don't really have time to try and track down the cause myself right now - I don't even have Wesnoth 1.10 installed on my current computer.
adr3n

Post by adr3n »

any updates on this?
derrickthewhite

Post by derrickthewhite »

I randomly started cleaning and updating this faction. For those of you who know WML:

The gnome fire arms miss animation macro needs to have numbers put into it. I don't know what these numbers mean at the moment, but there are four of them. With that you can get the era loaded and three of the factions playable (gnomes, rebels, council of elders)

The terrain string problem is caused by the "terrain_liked" string in the multiplayer faction definitions: the creator didn't use commas, so that now breaks if you try to load any of those factions -- removing that line is quite simple, and in the case of the empire probably correct. Kadori is easy to figure out from what they have. For free reptiles I'm starting out by making them like sand, water, and swamp, but would be happy to know the full intent behind the terrain string:
bcdEIJMkpqsUwy
That's all that's needed to make the era work again. It will throw up lots of "Please fix this! support is about to be removed!" but it should all work.

I'm happy to make these changes, but I'd like to properly give credit to the true builder of the faction when I put the updated version up.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

You can look up the terrain strings at data/core/terrain.cfg, then look into any mainline faction residing at data/multiplayer/faction/ to implement proper terrain_liked= ,
i suppose gnome firearms macro is smth like muzzle_flare_hit_diag, you can simply put 0 0 } at its end to bandaid fix it.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It looks like the ancient markup of maps, viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44401

Though, terrain_liked is not that important to have.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Age of Trials now available for 1.14

Post by Atreides »

Last available for 1.10 I've ported it to 1.14. (as luck would have it, it was quick and easy :)

I've run it and it seems to work just fine. If you have any problems leave a reply here or send a p-mail to me.

The era is complete and well written. Some of the unit sound effects and description are not done. I'll be adding sounds in later updates. The descriptions I can't guess at so I'll leave them as is. I've not checked the balance so there may be some problem there potentially.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Thanks! Glad to see this era back again!
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

0.5.0 released

Post by Atreides »

Added some new era choices. It is now integrated with the Lonely Era if both are installed. 20 factions to play with or against. Also added extra random choices to play subsets of the era (i.e. play a random AoT faction vs a random non-AoT faction). Updates are for both 1.16/14.
Atreides

Version 1.0.0

Post by Atreides »

Big upgrade of the Age of Trials. When I first ported this I added some generic sounds to fill out all the missing sounds. After some doing I created a semi-custom sound effects file that adds sounds based on common weapon names first, then as a fall back some more generic sounds based on damage type (6) and range (2) which makes 12 types. Also all units now have get hit sounds as well as die sounds.