Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Post by vghetto »

egallager wrote: November 9th, 2021, 3:20 am To clarify, could you link to which repo you mean as "the original github" here? Just asking since there are multiple forks of it out there; I have my own repo for it, too, but it's not the original or anything...
Sure. I was referring to trewe's. That's the original, isn't it?
oooo

Post by oooo »

@MoonyDragon

Wesnoth 1.14 or later can load the PO files directly. You can just extract the zip file in the "add-ons" folder and remove the old Japanese MO file, so you can use the Japanese translation. GPL requires you to describe your changes if you modify the Japanese translation.

If you would like not to contain the PO file, though I don't recommend it, you should add the GPL license, license notice, copyright notice, and the information about the location of the source code. The location should be your github repository.

By the way, GPLv2 is almost equivalent to GPLv3 in this case.

If you refer to me in the credit, please use last name or full name, that is, "OOTA" or "OOTA, Masato".
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

egallager wrote: November 9th, 2021, 3:20 am
vghetto wrote: November 8th, 2021, 2:42 pm Especially since the original github is still active with commits done this year.
To clarify, could you link to which repo you mean as "the original github" here? Just asking since there are multiple forks of it out there; I have my own repo for it, too, but it's not the original or anything...
viewtopic.php?p=664223#p664223
egallager

Post by egallager »

Konrad2 wrote: November 9th, 2021, 11:07 am
egallager wrote: November 9th, 2021, 3:20 am
vghetto wrote: November 8th, 2021, 2:42 pm Especially since the original github is still active with commits done this year.
To clarify, could you link to which repo you mean as "the original github" here? Just asking since there are multiple forks of it out there; I have my own repo for it, too, but it's not the original or anything...
viewtopic.php?p=664223#p664223
oh ok, I just saw the "trewe's github version" part, but didn't realize that trewe's was the original...
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

egallager wrote: November 10th, 2021, 12:50 pm oh ok, I just saw the "trewe's github version" part, but didn't realize that trewe's was the original...
It isn't. Turns out I was wrong about that. I was comparing to the version on the 1.12 add-ons server, not 1.2. Everything from wesnoth 1.4 up to 1.12 add-ons is trewe's apparently.

MoonyDragon claims doing a "fork" from the wesnoth 1.2 add-ons version!
Too bad his initial commit didn't include the actual 1.2 code :/
This whole affair is confusing.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

oooo wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:29 am @MoonyDragon

Wesnoth 1.14 or later can load the PO files directly. You can just extract the zip file in the "add-ons" folder and remove the old Japanese MO file, so you can use the Japanese translation. GPL requires you to describe your changes if you modify the Japanese translation.

If you would like not to contain the PO file, though I don't recommend it, you should add the GPL license, license notice, copyright notice, and the information about the location of the source code. The location should be your github repository.

By the way, GPLv2 is almost equivalent to GPLv3 in this case.

If you refer to me in the credit, please use last name or full name, that is, "OOTA" or "OOTA, Masato".
I did not know that one can load the .po files directly, so thank you for the information! I would like to reserve the /translations/wesnoth-se/ folder for the .po files only, so is it okay if I place the accompanying files in the /translations/ folder above it?

I also have some questions about the license of your translation. If I understand correctly, translations are a form of derivative work, so if the original work was licensed under the GPLv2+, the translation should be too. But you license your translation under the GPLv3+, while the campaign 'Saving Elensefar' is licensed under the GPLv2+. Do you have the right to do so?
vghetto wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:47 pm It isn't. Turns out I was wrong about that. I was comparing to the version on the 1.12 add-ons server, not 1.2. Everything from wesnoth 1.4 up to 1.12 add-ons is trewe's apparently.

You pretty much said everything already, but to clarify from my side:
What I call the 'original' is turin's campaign until he abandoned it in 2007-2008. Both I and trewe made extensive changes to our respective versions, so I refer to them as different 'forks'. And you are absolutely right that my github repository is full of bad practises and beginner mistakes.
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

SE turned out to be a fun little project to work on and fix. I'm gonna be uploading my own fork of it soon. I think I'll call it SE Redux or something like that :)

It will use trewe's latest github version as its base. But at the same time I will try to incorporate MoonyDragon's gameplay sensibilities.

I've already fixed three major problems that I've encountered so far.
1- The reversi mini-game being broken and thus unwinnable. Did players just debug :n this level? :lol:
2- The slowness in turns because of one of the custom abilities. I'm not sure if it even worked correctly in the first place :/
3- Recalling loyals was broken too.

There's still much more work to do. I haven't gotten to the petrified issue that others have mentioned. I also have replacing fai patrol with mai patrol on my todo list. The last scenario seems to be have a slowness in loading problem that I haven't identified yet. Maybe it's my computer :(

I will be dropping the multiplayer and translations support. They don't interest me.
I will create a new thread for it once it comes out. Stay tuned I guess :D
oooo

Post by oooo »

MoonyDragon wrote: November 10th, 2021, 4:28 pm I would like to reserve the /translations/wesnoth-se/ folder for the .po files only, so is it okay if I place the accompanying files in the /translations/ folder above it?
You can put gpl-3.0.txt and changelog.ja.txt anywhere in the distribution and rename their filenames into proper ones if you want. Of course, it's not a modification that you should describe in the changelog.
MoonyDragon wrote: November 10th, 2021, 4:28 pm I also have some questions about the license of your translation. If I understand correctly, translations are a form of derivative work, so if the original work was licensed under the GPLv2+, the translation should be too.
No. GPLv2+ means GPLv2 or any later version. Please see term#9 in GPLv2. I cannot explain it more readable.
egallager

Post by egallager »

MoonyDragon wrote: November 10th, 2021, 4:28 pm
vghetto wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:47 pm It isn't. Turns out I was wrong about that. I was comparing to the version on the 1.12 add-ons server, not 1.2. Everything from wesnoth 1.4 up to 1.12 add-ons is trewe's apparently.

You pretty much said everything already, but to clarify from my side:
What I call the 'original' is turin's campaign until he abandoned it in 2007-2008. Both I and trewe made extensive changes to our respective versions, so I refer to them as different 'forks'. And you are absolutely right that my github repository is full of bad practises and beginner mistakes.
OK I think I've got it right now? https://github.com/cooljeanius/Saving_E ... d5106870f5
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I uploaded version 2.3.1 to the add-ons servers - and shortly thereafter version 2.3.2, to fix a bug with the former version.
The only things that changed this time are translation-related. The czech, english and german translations received minor changes here and there... And a newer japanese translation has been imported, which is hopefully in accordance with licensing and attribution requirements. Also, the add-ons server should now display translations aswell.
oooo

Post by oooo »

MoonyDragon wrote: November 14th, 2021, 5:35 pm ... And a newer japanese translation has been imported, which is hopefully in accordance with licensing and attribution requirements.
I downloaded and confirmed it. Thanks!
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Recently, I have been porting turin's original from the 1.2 add-ons servers yet again, because I wanted a better comparison between the gameplay of my own version and the original. I post my results here for those who are interested in historic versions of this campaign, and in the hope that it will be of some use to vghetto and his version. The attachment is an archived git repo, which contains minimal changes to turin's original. I generally do not recommend playing it.
Attachments
Saving_Elensefar-TURIN-2021-11-22.tar.gz
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
Last edited by MoonyDragon on November 22nd, 2021, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

MoonyDragon wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 8:43 pm in the hope that it will be of some use to vghetto and his version. The attachment is an archived git repo, which contains minimal changes to turin's original. I generally do not recommend playing it.
Oh, thank you. I've actually already done that.
wmllint-1.4 then wmllint (1.14) got it in running shape. Then I had to do fixes for result=continue and other minor things. (give it a campaign id and such, fix set_recruit ....)
I agree with you, it's not recommended for play, it's so buggy and needs a lot of work. But it is interesting.
For one, make sure to always unhide the main leader at the end of the sea map and give the ship it's moves back. Otherwise, you could start a scenario with the main elf hidden, and the ship immobile for 1 turn. :lol:

I'll check out your tar as well. Thanks.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

After Scenario 2, your version of SE bugs out.

I am unable to recruit any units anymore after S2.

Also, S2's recruit list seems fixed to Thug and Thief but the scenario gold isn't enough to get me enough of those 2 units types as recalling veterans are better.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 9:12 pm After Scenario 2, your version of SE bugs out.

I am unable to recruit any units anymore after S2.

Also, S2's recruit list seems fixed to Thug and Thief but the scenario gold isn't enough to get me enough of those 2 units types as recalling veterans are better.
You are not supposed to have a permanent recruit list, as is stated in the disclaimer at the beginning of the campaign. Concerning the gold shortage in the second scenario, what difficulty are you playing on? The campaign is rated 'Expert', so I recommend the easy difficulty for first-time players of my version.

The dilemma between new recruits and higher-level recalls will follow you throughout the campaign. Every time you land on an island where you can recruit, you will have to make that choice. And I would say recalling veterans is only 'better' in the short run. Eventually, you will suffer losses, and in those cases it is a really neat thing to have recalls from an earlier island.

The campaign is pretty balanced, or at least I found it so, when I played it through on hard and without save-scumming. It is winnable.