Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Campaign: Saving Elensefar

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I got to the last scenario but I see a bug.

The XP modifier is fluctuating/oscillating inbetween scenarios. In some cases, I see units in my recall with 80/60 XP or 96/80 XP and so on.
Lastly, giving me recallable units in Blackmore is easily missed unless stated in some message or note.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 14th, 2021, 6:25 pm I got to the last scenario but I see a bug.

The XP modifier is fluctuating/oscillating inbetween scenarios. In some cases, I see units in my recall with 80/60 XP or 96/80 XP and so on.
Lastly, giving me recallable units in Blackmore is easily missed unless stated in some message or note.
That bug is caused by a +8xp bonus after each island applying to the recall list aswell. I'm not yet sure whether to fix it with [not] x,y=recall,recall [/not] or to remove the feature entirely.

Since you have completed the campaign, could you tell me if there was anything else that you found unclear or perhaps annoying?
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

That bug is caused by a +8xp bonus after each island applying to the recall list aswell. I'm not yet sure whether to fix it with [not] x,y=recall,recall [/not] or to remove the feature entirely.
That was a feature? :O Then, no! Don't remove that! I was enjoying the level 3s hoarding in my recall list.
Since you have completed the campaign, could you tell me if there was anything else that you found unclear or perhaps annoying?
Maybe a heads-up note on the chain scenarios? Like the ones where I don't get back to the ship but go to another island as a follow-up to a mini-plot. Something like "This island will initiate a scenario chain of X scenarios."
Maybe a start of campaign noticed that my recruit list will not be constant but change constantly or in some islands.
As for finishing the campaign, I do have the 2 alternates to the final scenario left. I took Madru's option so I still have 2 left to explore.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 16th, 2021, 11:22 am That was a feature? :O Then, no! Don't remove that! I was enjoying the level 3s hoarding in my recall list.
In turin's original, only units on the map got the bonus. In my version I try to preserve the spirit of the original, but also keep the gameplay as vanilla as possible. Having recalls with 96/80xp is obviously not something that happens in mainline campaigns, so my previously mentioned options are all I have...
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 16th, 2021, 11:22 am Maybe a heads-up note on the chain scenarios? Like the ones where I don't get back to the ship but go to another island as a follow-up to a mini-plot. Something like "This island will initiate a scenario chain of X scenarios."
Maybe a start of campaign noticed that my recruit list will not be constant but change constantly or in some islands.
The problem with adding new messages is that it breaks all 14 existing translations, which I would like to preserve. My workaround is to make my own english 'translation', where I correct typos and other things when necessary. I'll see what I can do about the things you mentioned.

In any case, thanks for your feedback!
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

MoonyDragon wrote: December 17th, 2021, 1:57 am
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 16th, 2021, 11:22 am That was a feature? :O Then, no! Don't remove that! I was enjoying the level 3s hoarding in my recall list.
In turin's original, only units on the map got the bonus. In my version I try to preserve the spirit of the original, but also keep the gameplay as vanilla as possible. Having recalls with 96/80xp is obviously not something that happens in mainline campaigns, so my previously mentioned options are all I have...
This would cap the bonus so that units wait in the "about to level up" state:

Code: Select all

experience="$(min($this_unit.experience + 8, $this_unit.max_experience - 1))"
For the unit that kills the enemy leader, the game adds the kill xp and checks for level-up before firing the enemies defeated event. So a unit can kill, level-up, and still get the full 8 bonus xp in its new level.
Septim

Post by Septim »

MoonyDragon wrote: December 17th, 2021, 1:57 am The problem with adding new messages is that it breaks all 14 existing translations, which I would like to preserve. My workaround is to make my own english 'translation', where I correct typos and other things when necessary. I'll see what I can do about the things you mentioned.
I don't think making extra "English translation" is a good process. Translations are dynamic affairs. We translators expect that they need to be maintained.
The problem is that if something isn't written to the pot file, it's like it doesn't exist. And that's why it can't be edited by translators.

I would understand if it was a temporary thing that served to bulk changes. These changes could then be processed at once and would not crumble over time.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Is anyone planning on porting this to 1.18? Wondering if I should add it to my list or not... (if I do, it'll probably be pretty low-priority; I've got a lot of other add-ons to port...)