Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

arobinson wrote:
shebillah wrote: I notice that there's no music playing during the scenarios. Is there another add-on I need? :oops:
Nope, I didn't add any music. Actually I almost always play with the sounds muted, so my attention to sounds is lacking, I am sure, sorry. Once again, I would welcome patches to be contributed.
It's a pity, because in mainline we have some really great tracks. Anyway, a quick fix can be done by adding {DEFAULT_MUSIC_PLAYLIST} in every scenario. :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Well if it is that simple I'll release 2.0.2 with some music shortly. Should story scenarios have it or only playable ones?
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Both playable and story-only scenarios.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

3.0.0 uploaded containing "Source of the Elementals" campaign which is part 2 of the series. See the change log in the first post for more information.

Constructive feedback appreciated, as always! Thanks for playing.
Campaigns:
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I'm playing the second part (I'm in the Orc Enlistment scenario), and I find it more challenging than the first part (mainly the first scenarios), but also a little boring : all the scenario have the same objective : kill all ennemy leaders (Maybe we can't expect anything else from a bloodthirsty demon, but for the three first scenarios, it could be different). I haven't noted bugs until now.
And for the third part...:
Last edited by Feufochmar on August 6th, 2010, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Feufochmar wrote:I'm playing the second part (I'm in the Orc Enlistment scenario), and I find it more challenging than the first part (mainly the first scenarios), but also a little boring : all the scenario have the same objective : kill all ennemy leaders (Maybe we can't wait anything else from a bloodthirsty demon, but for the three first scenarios, it could be different). I haven't noted bugs until now.
And for the third part...:
Sorry for the boring part. I think I actually spent more time on the unit graphics and profile pics than I did with the scenario WML (animating the demon took me quite a bit of time actually, but my Gimp skills are improving). It was challenging to try to make it creative since an all powerful demon should not have to "survive to the end of turns" or flee the map, or those types of scenarios that mix the plot up better. One thought is to throw out some of the scenarios and just have a shorter campaign, but is that better or not?

I'm open to suggestions, as you can probably tell from my part I re-write of the end of the campaign, I am not opposed to fixes and non-major plot changes.
Spoiler:
Let me know any ideas on improvements but also what you do like, so I don't remove it and also knowing what is good helps me with the fixes to know what is working vs. just what is not.

Hope you are enjoying it.
Campaigns:
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I've finished the second part.
I've noted this :
- at least in the 3 last scenarios, all leaders (ally or ennemy) have a silver crown. The silver crown is usually used to indicate the non-leader units that must survive in a scenario, not the leaders.
- in the last scenario, normally, the player side can't have any village, as they are burnt. But you burn the villages where at the beggining the turn, not when they are captured. This way, the player side can have villages if the unit who capture the village is killed before burning it.
It was challenging to try to make it creative since an all powerful demon should not have to "survive to the end of turns" or flee the map, or those types of scenarios that mix the plot up better.
I only see three scenarios that have to be of the type "kill all the ennemy leaders" : the Reawakening, Orc Enlistment and Burning the Forests.
The scenario Fusion can be of the type "Go to the signpost" : for the story, the 3 entities of the demon just have to go to the ritual circle to try to fusion. Killing the dwarves is secondary.
The scenario Rebirth can be of the type "Search and go to the signpost" : you have to locate the ritual circle and move the two demon entities to it.
The scenarios Troll Submission and Under the Volcano can be of the type "Kill one specific leader" : the dragon for Under the Volcano, the troll shaman and then the troll hero in Troll Submission.
The scenario Eruption could be story telling only. Appart from the way the demon go to the surface, I don't see any interesting purpose.
For the scenario Elvish Perimeter, it can be a pursuit scenario where you have to follow and kill messengers that go to say want appends at the bordure.
Last edited by Feufochmar on August 7th, 2010, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Wrapping my response in a spoiler tag as this content shows scenario details:
Spoiler:
FYI, the elementals are going to get weaker soon. I am going to lower almost all of their physical damage resistance. Basically I want them to be better balanced with the rest of Wesnoth units and right now their HP+defense+resistance gives them quite an unfair advantage. The downside to doing this is that I will have to re-balance the scenarios which is very tedious. Trying to balance enemy levels, gold, income, map size, castle size is quite an art to make a hard but not too hard scenario (I played that last scenario of part 2 probably ~ 30-50 times, although not always all the way through).

Thank you for the feedback, it was helpful.
Campaigns:
Bjartmarr

Post by Bjartmarr »

I'm enjoying this campaign, and am looking forward to part 3!

Thank you!
Arc

great story, a few play bugs

Post by Arc »

I just played through "Rise of the Elementalist" - absolutely great story. I especially enjoyed the dynamic the elements vs land tiles added to the game, much more interesting than "you're playing elves, so stick to the forests". There's a few angles you could have gone further with it, such as a battle against Wose angry that the fire elementals are burning down forests to heal (would make more sense than vs elves or vs humans).

I disagree with the postings here that the mud units are worthless - I found them very handy for throwing a wave of weaker, less expensive units in a few of the multi-sided scenarios. A few of the maps could certainly be modified to give them more healing terrain (wider roads, more grassland) or add swamp to heal them (mud, after all).

I haven't played "Source of the Elementals" yet, but I look forward to the additional unit levels. While it may be a chore to rebalance (level 3 units costs an extra gold each to maintain, where you've already given the ability for level 2 units to add abilities/etc while remaining at 2 gold/turn), it may be worth it for the visuals. As the elementals appear to have faces and mouths, giving dialog to veteran units (perhaps to help new players with unit selection, such as rock elementals commenting how many hills and mountains there are to hide in) would add a small touch to the story as well.

A few bugs I noticed as I played:
Spoiler:
Overall its a great campaign that, with a bit of work, may be a good candidate to include with future game releases.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Your first post was thread necromancy; this is frowned upon by the Wesnoth community and, of course, a month and nine days later than the last post means that the creator might not still be listening.

:wink:
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Arc

Post by Arc »

So would you suggest starting a new thread on the same subject, or not giving feedback at all?
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Reepurr wrote:Your first post was thread necromancy; this is frowned upon by the Wesnoth community and, of course, a month and nine days later than the last post means that the creator might not still be listening.

:wink:
Not sure what you are talking about in this post (thread necromancy?). Did you get the correct post?

I have posted often to this forum and have updated the change log in the first post recently, after the last minor release:
Last edited by arobinson on September 10th, 2010, 2:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Version 4 is being worked on, but very slowly as my 2nd daughter was born, leaving me very little time to mess around with game development.
Campaigns:
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

congrats!
btw it looks like an awesome campaign, though i only finished 2 scenarios so far.
[[edit]] ok i finished the campaign parts 1 and 2 and they were indeed really fun and challenging to play.

regarding the final level of RotE
Spoiler:
also in the second last level multipart scenario i forgot to keep track of which turn the scene changed and my savegame limit was too low so i had to restart from the beginning. im curious why not break it into multiple scenarios?

the same problem appeared in the first scenario of SotE - it takes so many turns (189) my disk fills up with autosavegames. perhaps each sub-scenario it could be made with fewer enemies.
Spoiler:

for the last level of SotE may i suggest you can add to the nastiness
Spoiler:
there are a lot of simple spelling errors and some grammar but i hesitate to take time to report them if you are still reworking the story.

i look forward to campaign part 3 to explain the story behind the different units you get to work with.
Spoiler:
Attachments
RotE-The_End_replay.gz
wesnoth 1.8.5 medium
(56.77 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I have yet to give credit for the artwork from other campaigns that I have leveraged. I have taken unit images and potentially some other graphics from other user campaigns and used them in this campaign. I will try to make sure I add credits to my campaign to mention each campaign and give thanks, but I wanted to make sure, at least for the short term, that I did not make all of the new unit graphics and some have been borrowed from other user campaigns.

For those that have enjoyed this set of campaigns, the work is still, slowly, underway for the last of the trilogy, but it is going to be quite some time to develop. The 3rd installment will be the longest, with 3 sub-stories. It will summarize the history of the elementals and bring in more story (I hope). I have no idea at this point on the number of scenarios, but it could be in the upper-teens or even over 20 if I have the energy and depending on how well I feel the story is progressing. Don't stop posting ideas or bugs here even if you don't see a release for months as I will try to get around to them at some point. Once the 3rd installment is done I will plan to go back and polish the full trilogy before finally retiring it into maintenance mode only.
Campaigns: