Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

arobinson

Re: Rise of the Elementalist campaign

Post by arobinson »

Valvinar wrote:Do you know if we have to restart the campaign or level? I started up a save and she still didnt have the trait. Havent had time to test it out a lot yet.
It will only be fixed for the first time she is created, so if you have passed where she is added, you will not get the fix.

To fix the problem manually, find you save game file, unzip it if necessary, and open the wml file in a text editor. In there look for a [unit][/unit] block (WML is like XML but with square brackets) with an ID of Elania. Under modifications, you want to make sure she has the loyal trait instead of the intelligent trait.

What to look for:
Spoiler:
Make sure that this fix is applied to each unit with id="Elania". There will be multiple (2 or 3, I forget which), as one is for the definition, one is the saved unit, and there may be a third. I don't know the save file format very well at all, but I do know that if you fix it in each location, it will work. Just make sure that upkeep value is there and the loyal trait (the whole modifications block).
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Valvinar

Post by Valvinar »

I have to open it through 7zip and into notebook. I find the only Elania (there is only one for some reason) and change the things but I am having trouble saving it back into the .gz file. help please!

edit

somehow i corrupted it. I guess ill just start over. Oh wellz. Ill watch for SP and such things i suppose.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

You don't have to rezip it, you can load the uncompressed version
Campaigns:
Valvinar

Post by Valvinar »

sry for kinda high jacking this thread. I did unzip with 7zip i just went into it and opened the text file in notepad. idk how or why that was working like that.
Valvinar

Post by Valvinar »

I really liked this series of campaigns. It was always interesting to see when you would lose somebody or switch armies. Anyway these are a few things I noticed and remembered to take note of.

when Elania dies Valin says "loosing". should be "losing".

Maybe point out that each of the six head mages hav special titles? It's a small
thing and I'm not sure how much it matters.

The Village:
After the middle necromance (or second one) dies Valin yells at it
and Elania says she is afraid she is "loosing" him. it should be "losing.

idea: I know it has been mentioned but maybe Elania should be hit by the poison dart
at the end of the scenario. Would make it feel less random.

Revenge:
Lial, Light Guild Head: "although I do feel that his soul is part in that thing".
"in" should be "of".

Epilogue: She was "burried"...should be "buried"

Third Campaign":

Escape:
Vebrithien-"find the runs of Eiyar" should be ruins.

<lua error>[string "..."]:11:attempt to compare nil with number stack traceback:
[string "..."]11:in main chunk
---seems to happen on elements turn
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Valvinar wrote:I really liked this series of campaigns. It was always interesting to see when you would lose somebody or switch armies. Anyway these are a few things I noticed and remembered to take note of.

when Elania dies Valin says "loosing". should be "losing".

Maybe point out that each of the six head mages hav special titles? It's a small
thing and I'm not sure how much it matters.

The Village:
After the middle necromance (or second one) dies Valin yells at it
and Elania says she is afraid she is "loosing" him. it should be "losing.

idea: I know it has been mentioned but maybe Elania should be hit by the poison dart
at the end of the scenario. Would make it feel less random.

Revenge:
Lial, Light Guild Head: "although I do feel that his soul is part in that thing".
"in" should be "of".

Epilogue: She was "burried"...should be "buried"

Third Campaign":

Escape:
Vebrithien-"find the runs of Eiyar" should be ruins.

<lua error>[string "..."]:11:attempt to compare nil with number stack traceback:
[string "..."]11:in main chunk
---seems to happen on elements turn
Thank you very much for the detail of where the grammar mistakes you found were. As for the lua error, I have only really seen it on a scenario or two. It does not seem to hurt anything, so I have not given it much time. I think it is the fire elemental code I wrote for burning wood to recover health. It seems to happen, somehow, when a unit burns on a turn when a variable was not set on the previous turn, with I did not think possible. I'll try to fix sometime, but until it actually causes a bug, I may not give it too much thought.

I'm going to change the poison dart, but I am debating how I want to do it.
Campaigns:
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

4.0.3 has been uploaded with minor fixes. I am working on releasing version 5 for Wesnoth 1.10. The challenge now is that wesnoth 1.9/1.10 has new terrain graphics that really broke my custom graphics in the last 2 scenarios of campaign 3 and they look horrible at the moment, especially the flood scenario.

I have released a 5.0.0 alpha1 release for those that want to play it despite these flaws. The 5 release has quite a few fixes. I put it through the wmllint, wmlscope and wmlindent tools and cleaned up quite a few problems. I re-played the campaigns and fixed up some of the dialog as well and some other minor changes. Due to 1.10 removing many of the macros I was using, it took me quite a while to fix all the code to get it running. It will probably take me a while to fix the terrain graphics issues, and that is why I am releasing an alpha version.

I believe that the 4.0.3 release is the last for wesnoth 1.8. All future improvements and fixes will be targeted on the 5.x release (wesnoth 1.10).
Campaigns:
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Awesome! I love this add-on and hope it or the concepts about elementals get mainlined :)
Tinalein

Post by Tinalein »

Hello,

when I try to start the campaign I got this message:

I use wesnoth 1.9.9. - something I can do or is it a known bug? The game didn't start after that ;)

Greetings from Germany,
Tina
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

As the macro {TERRAIN_BASE_SINGLEHEX_B} is defined in 1.10's core files (data/core/terrain-graphics.cfg), I assume you need to upgrade your Wesnoth version to 1.10.1 (current stable) to make this campaign work.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Tinalein

Post by Tinalein »

ah ok - thank you - wesnoth 1.10 is downlaoding meanwhile ;)

Greetings,
Tina
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

I wasnt able to finish Part 1 on normal difficulty because i couldnt get past the wisps in the scenario RotE-The_End savegame attached.
Also, in the late scenario where the elementalist kills off all the undead and then goes after the mages, i had to cheat a bit and ensure all the units were stuck at the far end of the map by assassinating the leaders early in order to leave some undead to distract the wisps. they are just too fast and deadly and the lady cannot get to the underground entrance in time.

I had no problems with scenarios in Part 2 so far. The story changed quite a bit - it does not have nearly the same feel of a long lonely tortuous struggle to reunite the parts of the demon that it did in your previous version, even with the no recruitment restriction. Also i didnt identify as much with the elememental leaders as before. Is it possible to make them each have slightly different personalities? However i cant complain as i did before that the first scenario was way too long and tricky lol.

In Surface_Breach, the scenario declares that i've trivially won right after the volcano erupts. is that supposed to happen?
Attachments
RotE-The_End.gz
wesnoth 1.10.0 start of scenario player seems too weak to win
(27.27 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
lynx

Post by lynx »

In The End, after you bring the thing to the crystal, all subsequent save games are invalid.
Evander

Post by Evander »

Hello!

I have finished this campaign recently, so it is time to give some feedback.

I will rate this campaign at 7,5/10.

Pros:
+ elementals!
+ long, relatively bug free (had just one crash)
+ not-so-bad story line

Cons:
- elementals?! -1,5
- dialogues. See pictures for some examples. You need a spell check by a native speaker or someone decent. -1

Ok, now to elaborate.
I like idea of elementals. Really. But honestly I was expecting something more like in "To Lands Unknown".
As they are now, maximum at level 2 most of them, they are pretty imbalanced.
I was unable to comprehend why water elementals would require 2 movement points to move over a dirt/grassland.
The balance issues are overshadowing whole campaign and it requires a lot of reloading in order to maintain your units.

Also elementals are pretty expensive to hire. One would prefer to go for a large-scale battle with elementals, rather swarming map with them (especially in third part of campaign).

For example - earth elementals regenerate in hills/dirt. But they do not regenerate in caves, where the earth is all around them?

For a change - idea of wisps is brilliant!. I love them and would like to see more of them.
Also - fog is such an amazing unit, that one can only wonder why that concept wasn't used in other campaigns. But I think that fog resistances need to be altered a little. -50% for fire and 90% for anything else would be better I think.

As for dialogues... Well dude.
Some info about why heroes in first part became friends with benefits would be welcome. Some more introduction to Ice Goddess and her story would also be nice.
Story line is acceptable, but with sometimes ridiculous dialogue lines it becomes annoying. Needs more suspense and a feeling of overwhelming doom like in Invasion from the Unknown.

Otherwise... not bad campaign.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84 ... bug01.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/71 ... bug02.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/54 ... bugp3.jpg/
Silux

Post by Silux »

Wonderful campaign!
I like to the idea to dedicate a campaign to the elementals.

I played the first two chapters, but i'm currently stuck in the first chapter of the third campaign, where i'm a dwarf escaping from the elementals.
Ambushing rock elementals block me from entering the final cave, or somedwarf get killed by an unluck attack.