War of Legends [MP Era for Wesnoth 1.16/1.18]

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: War of Legends [MP Era for Wesnoth 1.15+]

Post by revansurik »

Hi! So, as we were talking before, here are a few suggestions for the elemental faction ^_^

Air elementals:
- Since they're air, a skirmisher special would suit them nicely. Also since they're air, shouldn't they have resistance against physical damage? Not saying they should be like ghosts, but some resistance would be nice. To balance that, they could be more vulnerable to fire (as fire burns out air).

Water elementals:
- A 'drain' weapon special to the water line; the idea is that they suck out the blood (or the sap in the woses' case) of opponents to replenish themselves - after all, livings beings are mostly made of water (Avatar's blood-bending flashbacks intensify *.* ).
- Also, the 'submerge' ability would suit them nicely too.

Earth elementals:
- Steadfast would make sense for them, and would make them more worthwhile (fire elementals are even bigger damage dealers and are faster; earth elementals would be their defensive counterpart).
- Fire and cold vulnerabilities would balance out the steadfast strength and make a lot of sense (rock is eroded by the elements after all).

Fire elementals:
- What about a 'burn' weapon special that works like poison (only maybe causing less damage every turn)?

Plant elementals:
- A lvl 3 advancement to the Vine Tiger would convince me to actually use them xP (suggested names: Vine Sabertooth / Forest Lion)
- Also, poison and some healing+unpoison skill would suit them nice (they're plants after all, gotta have some poison and medicinal plants among all those vines)

Thunderbird:
- A lvl 3 advancement would convince me to use them too xP
- Since they're lightning, they should have fire resistance (which could be balanced by cold vulnerability). Also since their wings are made of blades, maybe some blade resistance? (though maybe I'm being nitpicky here :P )

Ethereal Orb
- They're great healers, but the fact they're stuck at lvl 1 make them not so desirable for campaigns. If you give healing skills to the Vine Tiger, make the Ethereal Orb and its advancements the better healers.
- Additionally, they could have an ability similar to 'illuminate', but enhancing the elementals' attacks - and only them. Like a "elemental mana" ability :)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

revansurik wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:36 pm Hi! So, as we were talking before, here are a few suggestions for the elemental faction ^_^

Air elementals:
- Since they're air, a skirmisher special would suit them nicely. Also since they're air, shouldn't they have resistance against physical damage? Not saying they should be like ghosts, but some resistance would be nice. To balance that, they could be more vulnerable to fire (as fire burns out air).

Water elementals:
- A 'drain' weapon special to the water line; the idea is that they suck out the blood (or the sap in the woses' case) of opponents to replenish themselves - after all, livings beings are mostly made of water (Avatar's blood-bending flashbacks intensify *.* ).
- Also, the 'submerge' ability would suit them nicely too.

Earth elementals:
- Steadfast would make sense for them, and would make them more worthwhile (fire elementals are even bigger damage dealers and are faster; earth elementals would be their defensive counterpart).
- Fire and cold vulnerabilities would balance out the steadfast strength and make a lot of sense (rock is eroded by the elements after all).

Fire elementals:
- What about a 'burn' weapon special that works like poison (only maybe causing less damage every turn)?

Plant elementals:
- A lvl 3 advancement to the Vine Tiger would convince me to actually use them xP (suggested names: Vine Sabertooth / Forest Lion)
- Also, poison and some healing+unpoison skill would suit them nice (they're plants after all, gotta have some poison and medicinal plants among all those vines)

Thunderbird:
- A lvl 3 advancement would convince me to use them too xP
- Since they're lightning, they should have fire resistance (which could be balanced by cold vulnerability). Also since their wings are made of blades, maybe some blade resistance? (though maybe I'm being nitpicky here :P )

Ethereal Orb
- They're great healers, but the fact they're stuck at lvl 1 make them not so desirable for campaigns. If you give healing skills to the Vine Tiger, make the Ethereal Orb and its advancements the better healers.
- Additionally, they could have an ability similar to 'illuminate', but enhancing the elementals' attacks - and only them. Like a "elemental mana" ability :)
I like all of these suggestions. Do you have any suggestions for custom attack types (all 6 core attack + electric currently) or ranges (melee/ranged is the current) for some of them?
For the Ethereal Orb, I was hoping to add back the Ethereal Serpent and Dragon advancements to make them and augment more on their healing if I can make/borrow differentiating sprites for them.

Additionally, I need to review Aragwaithi too (feedback is always welcomed):
Mercenary Band Forum Thread wrote: EDIT: Oh yeah, missing images...
'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-bottom.png'
'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-nozoc-top.png'
'units/human-aragwaithi/adept-heal.png'
'units/human-aragwaithi/slayer-attack1-ranged-e.png'
'units/human-aragwaithi/slayer-attack4-ranged-n.png'
'units/human-aragwaithi/slayer-attack6.png'
'units/human-aragwaithi/strongbow-sword-1.png'
'units/human-aragwaithi/strongbow-sword-5.png'
They need some animation updates.
Hi, great work on your Era! I like it very much, my favourite.
Im playing revansurik "A song of the winds" campaing and I've noticed the jinx curse isnt cured neither by healers nor villages.
I continued playing but I now I have Maat at 25% defense on next scenarios. I think some units got fixed on later scenarios, but not AMLA ones.
Oh, thank you!
Ah, the jinx weapon special? Hmm, the code seems to show that the curse is cured when the unit is cared by a healer (strictly the cures ability BTW) or stationed on a village tile. May I ask what healing abilities were tested? If it is not cures, but heals+4/heals+6/heals+8/heals+12, then the curse stays. However, this is the second time I have noticed this so I will be investigating this bug.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 12th, 2021, 7:15 pm
I like all of these suggestions. Do you have any suggestions for custom attack types (all 6 core attack + electric currently) or ranges (melee/ranged is the current) for some of them?
For the Ethereal Orb, I was hoping to add back the Ethereal Serpent and Dragon advancements to make them and augment more on their healing if I can make/borrow differentiating sprites for them.
You mean attack types other than the standard six types? What about 'water' attack, which would be particularly damaging against fire elementals and thunderbirds? Earth elementals would be a little vulnerable to them too, but plant elementals would be highly resistant.
Water attack would also be dangerous to drakes, maybe to undead too (thinking on 'holy water' here). To other units, it could affect them like impact attacks.

About the Ethereal Serpent/Dragon, why not customise the water and sea serpent sprites respectively? Re-colour them, make them slightly transparent (like ghosts)...

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

You mean attack types other than the standard six types? What about 'water' attack, which would be particularly damaging against fire elementals and thunderbirds? Earth elementals would be a little vulnerable to them too, but plant elementals would be highly resistant.
Water attack would also be dangerous to drakes, maybe to undead too (thinking on 'holy water' here). To other units, it could affect them like impact attacks
Their ranged attack is currently given the impact type and I guess that fits. If an unique attack type such as aqua/hydro is introduced, it maybe lead to further discussions on which races (movetypes, to be more accurate) would have to edited using [resistance_defaults]. Cold attack is already super effective against drakes, but I don't think splashing a bucket of water at them would be effective. However, dual-attack types...hmm, are worth investigating, like some weapon special which gives them an attack bonus vs fire elementals?
About the Ethereal Serpent/Dragon, why not customise the water and sea serpent sprites respectively? Re-colour them, make them slightly transparent (like ghosts)...
If I was only gifted with that skill...maybe I can try for something, I remember an abandoned add-on with the a flying serpent and flying dragon sprites.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 12th, 2021, 7:49 pm Their ranged attack is currently given the impact type and I guess that fits. If an unique attack type such as aqua/hydro is introduced, it maybe lead to further discussions on which races (movetypes, to be more accurate) would have to edited using [resistance_defaults]. Cold attack is already super effective against drakes, but I don't think splashing a bucket of water at them would be effective. However, dual-attack types...hmm, are worth investigating, like some weapon special which gives them an attack bonus vs fire elementals?

If I was only gifted with that skill...maybe I can try for something, I remember an abandoned add-on with the a flying serpent and flying dragon sprites.
What about a pierce ranged attack for the lvl 2/3 water elementals? Or even a bladed one. A water jet can cut through iron if it's powerful enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlacOX68OME

About the Ethereal dragon sprite, I can re-colour those for you, it's simple enough :) The transparent ghostly effect is done through coding (check the ghost unit file)

;-)
makalu

Post by makalu »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 12th, 2021, 7:15 pm Oh, thank you!
Ah, the jinx weapon special? Hmm, the code seems to show that the curse is cured when the unit is cared by a healer (strictly the cures ability BTW) or stationed on a village tile. May I ask what healing abilities were tested? If it is not cures, but heals+4/heals+6/heals+8/heals+12, then the curse stays. However, this is the second time I have noticed this so I will be investigating this bug.

I tried everything. Some units with cure abilities (as elvish druids and some others) and stationed in villages, and more of a turn just in case. Anything didnt work.

The worst problem, and now I think it, I believe it already happened playing other campaings, is at the end of the scenario units affected are stored with the disminished stats but without the curse, so there is no way later to recover them.

PD: I checked what happen with cursed units, normal ones get restored on next scenario. But not Maat (she was the only AMLA unit affected)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Update v1.1.9.2 (1.14.x):
Changelog:
The v1.2.6.4 release for 1.15.x will be later. Need to do some testing on some things first.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Update v1.2.6.4:
changelog

Code: Select all

Change-Log v1.2.6.4

version v1.2.6.4:
--> Vampires:
   --> +1 trait slot
   --> vampire racial trait is now hidden
       (it is still there and takes effect but you will not see it)
       Also, in the race description, it has already been mentioned
       that they are immune to the plague and drain so there is no need
       to show the trait
   --> vampires have been made immune to the jinx weapon special
      --> They are a subrace of undead so the jinx special should
          not have any effect on them
--> Minotaurs:
   --> racial ability: -recovery, +regenerates
   --> Behemoth: +feeding
   --> Rouser and Overlord: secondary shield attack
      --> this is defend only
   --> Boar Rider: the charge attack is now attack only
   --> Boar Knight: +1 melee damage
   --> slightly reduced costs of some units
   --> Minotaur Mystic: +12 Minotaur-only heals ability
   --> New Centaur Warden-line added to recruit list
--> Windsong: 
   --> fixed animation glitches for:
      --> Librarian
      --> Prophetess
      --> Ascendant
   --> Prophetess-line: ranged attack is now energy attack type
   --> Fixed resistances for the Seeker-line
--> Loyalists:
   --> Adept of Light: +2 cost
--> Aragwaithi:
   --> most units (except the Scout tree) now have 60% def on forest 
   --> Aragwaith Guard tree: lawful -> neutral
   --> Aragwaith Shield Guard: +1 dmg, +10% to most resists
   --> Aragwaith Archer: +2 HP
   --> Aragwaith Adept: +2 HP, -4 XP
   --> Aragwaith Enchantress: +3 HP, -32 XP (this was unreasonably too high)
   --> Aragwaith Sorceress: +4 HP
   --> Fixed animation glitches
   --> unit description updates by revansurik
      --> Spearman
      --> Pikeman
      --> Guardian
      --> Flagbearer
      --> Captain
      --> Ancient Banner
--> Aberrations:
   --> Fixed jinx weapon special
   --> updated the description of the jinx special
   --> Rash One: +1 damage
   --> Raging One: +1 damage
   --> adjusted resistances
   --> +1 trait
   --> Angry One unit-tree: +dauntless, +10% fire res, +10% cold res
--> Nightmares:
   --> adjusted resistances: +10% blade res and +10% pierce res
   --> Life Thief tree: +1 melee damage
--> Outlaws:
   --> Axethrower line: fixed axe attack animation
   --> Naga Hunter line: 
      --> Naga Hunter: +3 ranged damage
      --> Naga Assassin: +4 ranged damage
--> Quenoth:
   --> Quenoth Mystic: gave a secondary ranged attack, +2 cost
      --> arcane ranged (for balancing purposes)
   --> buffed most of the units of this faction since the ones
       in UtBS were shamefully weak by design. I was shocked when 
       when I saw the nerfed down stats.
--> Dwarves:
   --> Gryphon Thunderlord: changed ranged from fire to electric
--> Abilities and Specials:
   --> Fix for Dauntless not applying the effects for new damage types
   --> Fix for protection not applying +20% to all damage types
--> Add-on:
   --> .pot file has finally been generated
   --> silenced all deprecation errors
I fixed up almost every deprecation warning I found and fixed all animation glitches. Finally, I cleaned up the code enough to allow a .pot file to be generated. Thus, if anyone wants to translate WoL to other languages, just get the .pot file...well, just post it here, I guess?
Anyways, enjoy.

The last of the Nightmare units will be added in the next version when I finally fix that code.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Speaking of nightmares, translation can be such. Ugh. I did a small trial on a map pack and boy was it tedious. Great respect for all the folks who did the Wesnoth translations.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Speaking of nightmares, translation can be such. Ugh. I did a small trial on a map pack and boy was it tedious. Great respect for all the folks who did the Wesnoth translations.
Map-packs should be rather easy to translate. It's just names and descriptions. The hardest might be campaigns and then eras.
Also, I did correct that bug you mentioned about an obsolete get_hit_sound attribute in one of the files.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:15 pm
Map-packs should be rather easy to translate. It's just names and descriptions. The hardest might be campaigns and then eras.
Also, I did correct that bug you mentioned about an obsolete get_hit_sound attribute in one of the files.
Oh you are right, the map pack has only a little text to translate (well the one I chose was rather verbose for maps, hehe, every map has a [message] at startup with a couple of lines) the real thing that got me was when I went back and edited the english original and tried to merge the new .pot file with the translated .po file. <rolls eyes> I haven't really done any merging before so that is mostly why I found it very tiring. Managed to delete some of my translated text on the first try :-/ Then later it was going better until the merge program lost synchronization between the files. At that point I figured there might be a way to realign it but I threw up my hands in disgust and abandoned it...
What really weirds me out is the way it depends on the original. Change one comma or line break and bam, gotta retranslate or well not really but relink it. I expected translations to replace the original rather than hang on it like a cloak but I guess that has its own problems.
OTOH one positive thing I found is that things can be partially translated, i.e. the thing doesn't crash and burn if not every single word is translated, it just uses what (still) works and ignores the rest. Anyways, enough rambling (and I just typed enough text here for a fair sized map translation ROTFL)...
Fluffbeast

Post by Fluffbeast »

I found a few very minor issues with the new release:

- There is a missing image file reference in line 54 of huntress.cfg: File "units/human-outlaws/huntress-masked.png" not found.

- The Wose Sapling and Wose Shaman are now in core for 1.15; there is no need to include definitions or images for them. The Wose Shaman in core looks to be a slightly more powerful than the one in WoL, so there may need to be some balancing involved.

- I ran into a naming conflict with the Initiate in the Dark Hordes and the Initiate in the Default L0 Era. (This problem shows up when using my unreleased version of Level Zero Helper mod). Changing the unit ID in Necro_Initiate.cfg from "Initiate" to "Necro Initiate" fixes this. There are a few other files that need to be changed to match: Undead-RPG.cfg, Undead-EL.cfg, and Undead-WOL.cfg. The corresponding image files do not need to be renamed.
Death is not extinguishing the light; it is putting out the lamp, because dawn has come. - Rabindranath Tagore
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The Wose Sapling and Wose Shaman are now in core for 1.15; there is no need to include definitions or images for them. The Wose Shaman in core looks to be a slightly more powerful than the one in WoL, so there may need to be some balancing involved.
I know they are in core, so I did disable their "loading" in the add-on. Also, you're mistaken. The core Wose Shaman is a joke of a level 2 unit. The one in WoL has better stats. Anyway, I will probably put them up for removal.
There is a missing image file reference in line 54 of huntress.cfg: File "units/human-outlaws/huntress-masked.png" not found.
Oh, nice catch. I will fix this right away.
I ran into a naming conflict with the Initiate in the Dark Hordes and the Initiate in the Default L0 Era. (This problem shows up when using my unreleased version of Level Zero Helper mod). Changing the unit ID in Necro_Initiate.cfg from "Initiate" to "Necro Initiate" fixes this. There are a few other files that need to be changed to match: Undead-RPG.cfg, Undead-EL.cfg, and Undead-WOL.cfg. The corresponding image files do not need to be renamed.
I do like "Necro Initiate" as a better name for the unit. I guess the only campaigns being affected are HoI and SoE (need to check AotC and that survival scenario) so I would be fixing those as well and then push the updates. Then again, almost 10-12 campaigns use WoL as dependency..so an ID change could take some time to add...Need to check Legends of Idaamub, and Mercenary Band as well.

Lastly, thank you for the feedback.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Announcement:

Yes, I am aware of the 15k deprecation warning lines and some things being 100% broken in the current 1.15.x dev builds, and I have begun the process of patching it.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 3:03 pm Announcement:

Yes, I am aware of the 15k deprecation warning lines and some things being 100% broken in the current 1.15.x dev builds, and I have begun the process of patching it.
I run wesnoth with a command line parameter to turn off deprecation warnings. :-) 1.14 spams about magenta so much and deprecation is only a warning of future problems, not current ones anyways. Of course 1.16 is the future... Ah well cross that bridge when you reach it. <grin>