Roar of the Woses

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

benwulf

Re: Roar of the Woses

Post by benwulf »

I'll definitely try myself again. I'm still using 1.8.6 as last time I tried 1.9 wasn't working on macosx lion. You confirm that the victory conditions is having explored every single cave tile?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

It's not. The goal is to find safety. As the units say: "Perhaps we can find safety in this cave!"

In Wesnoth 1.9, they also already say "The further we get from the entrance the better"

So no, you do not have to explore everything.
taptap

Post by taptap »

In my last attempts I always lost on the 4th scenario, so I started now from start again and surprisingly found the torc in scenario 3. However, when picked up by a L1 it doesn't change anything with the unit (at least from the outside) which is a bit irritating. The ability should be gained and show up even on a L1 even if it doesn't help yet (in fact this ability is so huge that I would even appreciate an overlay icon). I am pretty sure that L3 leadership for L2 spellcasters can tide me over the next scenario when everything else I tried failed.

The first scenario is as dependent as ever on your ally not by chance attacking both opponents. (Happened in the first try, in the second he had a better orc target.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

A few random updates:
The unit that finds the Torc of Leadership now receives the loyal icon. The unit is not loyal, but it helps mark it out.
Side order in scenario 4 changed to allow the player to prevent some random losses.
Reduce the turn limit by 1 in hard for scenario 4.
There are a few more allied units in scenario 4 on easy.
The allied AI should be less likely to target the loyalists in scenario 1.
Decorative map changes
Make team name translatable in scenario 1 on hard difficulty.

Edit:
Someone has generously contributed a complete translation in Hungarian. I've now uploaded it and a small update to the French translation.
sandra_bluesky

Post by sandra_bluesky »

Hello I have a question for this campagin. I really love it but in the scenario where you have to save the eggs from the dragons in the cave, one reason for the mission to fail is to have ARKAX killed.

My problem is: I can't find Arkax!
I go into the cave and fight the trolls and thieves and around the tweltht round the dialogue window of Arkax pops out saying "Who will save my children?" supposing she is dead and ending the campaign.
But where is this Arkax? I can't find her on the map.

Would be really happy if someone could answer me :)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Arkax is the leader of the drakes and is in the south west corner of the map. Just fighting the orcs should usually be enough to prevent Arkax from even being attacked.

Can you attach a replay? I don't think I've ever seen the orcs go past the egg area to actually attack Arkax.
ElvishSorcerer

Post by ElvishSorcerer »

:mrgreen: This campaign was great! :mrgreen:
The Following Statement Is True

The Previous Statement Is False
Zerbugug
Translator

Post by Zerbugug »

Alarantalara wrote:Arkax is the leader of the drakes and is in the south west corner of the map. Just fighting the orcs should usually be enough to prevent Arkax from even being attacked.

Can you attach a replay? I don't think I've ever seen the orcs go past the egg area to actually attack Arkax.
I've tried this scenario several times (on normal with the version from the 1.10 repo) and Arkax ALWAYS gets attacked. And by a group of 5+ units.
Even when he gets lucky and fends for himself and all the other drakes get lucky hits I am overrun around turn 15 at the latest. I have no idea how this scenario can be beaten. There are just too many enemy units. Maybe you're supposed to have more gold but how do you get any gold in the previous one ? In my case it took me all the turns to get to the trolls and by then I was at -100.
I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me. — R. Kipling
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

It appears that I made a mistake when swapping the turn order earlier - Arkax ended up in the wrong castle. The problem has been fixed and uploaded.
Zerbugug
Translator

Post by Zerbugug »

Well that explains a few things. :D
You have just corrected the mistake ? How come didn't anyone notice this before ? Your campaign is the most downloaded one on the server.
It seems to be really good by the way. At first it is frustrating to have so weak units but then you get used to the saurians.

EDIT: The current version is still problematic. I've just lost before my first unit (a quick ambusher) reached the eggs to a green troll.
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

I've played through up to the end of Poacher Rescue on 1.10.5, and I have a few comments and suggestions to make. Firstly and most importantly, I have no Oracles and three Soothsayers. Every other Augur became a Haruspex, and I have no regrets. Please don't drop them! In fact, I'd like to use them (and Lurkers) in my own campaign, if you wouldn't mind. Secondly, I like and admire your campaign, and wish to say only good things about it. Keep this in mind because will be important later.

I found a number of bugs and other issues. The Torc doesn't work properly, for some bizarre reason. The leadership ability only appeared on Kylix when she became a Flanker (she was an Ambusher when she picked it up), but I can't see anything wrong with your WML. The autorecall is also a bit wonky - receiving a free healer is nice, but not in a scenario where every unit either dies in two hits or regenerates. In the next scenario, I got a 0-exp Wose instead of one of my two Woses with white experience bars. The loyal units are inconsistent - Kylix and Isarras have one trait, Gra Korust has two and Ignavus has three. Personally, I recommend treating loyal as a non-trait, as some mainline campaigns do - after all, being born with a stocky and muscular build will limit you as a runner, but won't affect your ability to be loyal to a cause. I suggest making Kylix strong and healthy, Isarras quick and strong and Gra Korust strong and quick. The quick traits are pretty important because they allow the units to move an extra hex in caves. There's no explanation for why the dwarves are hostile in The Back Door. The opening dialogue makes it clear that Kylix is willing to fight if attacked, but she has no reason to seek a fight in bad terrain when she's about to fight a huge battle. It's also pretty odd that cautious Isarras has no objections and that cowardly Ignavus is willing to fight his family. In addition, THoT makes it clear that making a dwarf an outcast is incredibly rare. I'd be pretty surprised if no dwarf in three generations ran away, especially in a place as big as Knalga during an extremely bloody and hopeless war.

I loathe Race on the Listra with a bitter, burning passion that would probably scare any passerby. I beat it on my third try and without any difficulties whatsoever, and I never once had fun. My first two attempts were abject failures, and my third attempt ought to have been. Any competent AI would be completely unbeatable. Fortunately (?), the AI is not competent, and responds to a castle full of Sprites by recruiting mostly Spearmen, which makes the scenario laughably easy. I strongly dislike the Sprites, and see little reason to use them over superior units. Why recall a level 1 unit when you could recall a level 3 unit with more movement that is good in a fight? Being forced to rely on them is unpleasant, especially given how easily they die. Personally, I would like to see the Wose Shamans included in the campaign, the Sprites given more movement (6), more hitpoints (17 would let them survive Orcish Archers) and two traits, and the plot of RotL changed. Some form of melee attack (at least on the Peri) would not go amiss - 2-1 arcane becoming 3-2 arcane, perhaps? I would feel much happier paying 12 gold for such a unit than 10 for the Sprites as they currently are.

If I were maintaining RotW, the map would be changed to allow you to have arrived via woodlands, preferably slightly further south. The enemy leader, being in a different part of Wesnoth, does not recognise you instantly. He realises that you must be the enemies being sought, and also observes that you do not have your troops with you. Gra Korust or Isarras points out that your woses cannot outrun horsemen, and so you had better block the southern road as well as fighting the general. Only when the loyalists (predominantly Spearmen) first fight your woses does the General realise how outmatched he is. He then gets extra gold for scouts.

It would also be nice to have a castle, no matter how tiny, on the central island in scenario 4; to have the allied AI in scenario 1 be less suicidal (although putting some bad terrain in the way to slow them a turn should work); to have a limit on the number of quick units the Loyalists can get in scenario 3 (when I played it they got something like 4 quick mages on turn 1 followed by more quick units on turn 2); and to have the ford in Poacher Rescue broken up a bit, so that the elves are less mobile than the player's naga (a channel in midstream, preferably 2 hexes wide on at least one side, should work).
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

A minor update to address the appearance of the overlay indicating that the unit is special with the torc per the feedback.

At some point I'm going to have to redo the thug recruitment scenario, but that will have to wait until I can come up with an interesting scenario for it.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Someone very nicely sent me a bunch of comments on the dialog of the campaign. In the process of addressing them, I also found a bug of my own. So, here is a new version, now on the 1.12 server.
Zerbugug
Translator

Post by Zerbugug »

The last scenario is really hard... is there a recommended strategy for it or do I just need more gold (I have no bonus gold) ?
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@ Zerbugug: The last scenario is really hard...
Uhm... only the last one? I really have to say: The whole campaign is an extraordinary challenge for me.
I thought I had learned something about strategy and intend to post some useful evaluation on the feedback thread,
but meanwhile I'm placing hope on enlightening recommendations from better players.
I'm down from difficulty "Hard" to "Easy" in an effort to explore proper ways of warfare to be further developed on harder levels,
but I'm not doing all too well. With the exception of S05 "Lintanir Forest" – which I consider a pleasant and encouraging break –
I'm struggling along with save-load repeatedly suggesting itself the most appropriate stratagem.
As to the last scenario (which seems, indeed, primarily designed to be the final blow– to the player):
I assume it is nothing new for you that this flat snow field at the corner of the dam (hexes 21/22/23-32)
is a crunch-point, holding your ground as long as possible is crucial.
IMHO, this is one of those campaigns where the success is highly dependent on 'staff member policy'
(level of your units, especially the Saurian healers and the Woses and their number) rather than on the amount of gold.
Emphasis is definitely not on luck, signs and miracles (e.g. the gryphons getting lost in a thunderstorm),
something that is intellectually very stimulating when you are in a confident fighting mood!