Roar of the Woses

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Roar of the Woses

Post by Alarantalara »

Feufochmar wrote:I have finished the campaign (in easy). I've noted a small error in the text : when the leader of the thugs is killed, the message displayed says I cannot recruit poachers anymore. Here, you mean I cannot recruit thugs anymore.
Right, I have the words poacher and thug swapped in the death messages. I've corrected that and will upload a new version when I've decided what to do about the rest of what has been said.
Feufochmar wrote: Also, about thugs, footpads and poachers, I found the scenario in which you "recruit" the thugs very easy compared to the two other scenarios. Also, I haven't used footpads or thugs (appart from their leaders) in the two last scenarios. I only used thugs in the undead scenario between the two "recruit" scenarios (and I think I could have avoided recruiting them as the woses have an impact attack).
I've been somewhat aware of the relative ease of the thug scenario, but haven't been sure of how to make it harder given that I would like it to be a race to kill the opponent. Giving more gold to the thugs simply walls you out and making the opponent stronger makes it hard for the thugs to have a chance of winning. I may have to scrap the scenario for something else.
Feufochmar wrote: Like Glowing Fish, I find the "recruit" scenarios rather useless, and I think they are completely useless if you put the undead scenario before the council (as you have the dwarf to indicate another path to go to the dam).
I don't know what to do about this, which is why I hadn't responded earlier. The plot up to scenario 4 establishes that the saurians do not have a large enough force to attack the dam and actually destroy it. While acquiring woses might help with that problem, I am presuming that they are not numerous enough to provide a large enough army from a plot perspective. This means that I need some form of recruit scenario before the final battle to justify the idea of a large enough army to attack the dam as I didn't want to explain it as text like what was done in the introduction to "Return to Wesnoth" in HttT. And while it is possible, I don't want to limit the number of Wose recruits to make this point explicit.

At one point in my initial scenario design I had a giant map with all of the possible recruits on it at once and you got to keep as many as you could get before turns ran out. I eventually decided against it because I didn't want an enormously long scenario, though I still have the map.

For now, I guess the best I can say is that I am aware that the recruit scenarios and the undead one are the weakest in the campaign, and I'm certainly thinking about how they could be improved. But without a plan that addresses my plot problem, there isn't much I can do right now.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Alarantalara wrote: I don't know what to do about this, which is why I hadn't responded earlier. The plot up to scenario 4 establishes that the saurians do not have a large enough force to attack the dam and actually destroy it. While acquiring woses might help with that problem, I am presuming that they are not numerous enough to provide a large enough army from a plot perspective. This means that I need some form of recruit scenario before the final battle to justify the idea of a large enough army to attack the dam as I didn't want to explain it as text like what was done in the introduction to "Return to Wesnoth" in HttT. And while it is possible, I don't want to limit the number of Wose recruits to make this point explicit.

At one point in my initial scenario design I had a giant map with all of the possible recruits on it at once and you got to keep as many as you could get before turns ran out. I eventually decided against it because I didn't want an enormously long scenario, though I still have the map.

For now, I guess the best I can say is that I am aware that the recruit scenarios and the undead one are the weakest in the campaign, and I'm certainly thinking about how they could be improved. But without a plan that addresses my plot problem, there isn't much I can do right now.
Perhaps instead of having the thugs/poachers just be recruitable, they can show up as an independent side in later battles. That way, they can "sneak behind the enemy lines", and like most AI allies, launch really stupid attacks with high level forces.

That would also clear up a problem in the last scenario, which is that my forces are too crowded. Its kind of boring moving a lot of troops slowly along the frozen ground/mountains, and then having most of them hide in the back.

So it might be more fun to have only a few 3rd level units show up near the enemy keep. They would put up a good fight, but would probably be doomed.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I've updated the thug scenario to be more challenging. The enemy is now able to beat the thugs on its own, which changes the balance.

EDIT:
A second update, this time for 1.9 only. I've modified the terrain in the final scenario to try and reduce the problem Glowing Fish had with excessive crowding. It was enough of a bother that I didn't copy the changes to the 1.8 version. I've also added some additional dialog and fixed a problem with the appearance of the border in Ambushed!.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I've noticed a... bug(?) with the Haruspex's sacrifice weapon special: it doesn't round the displayed result. Otherwise, great campaign (I'm in Race on the Listra now).
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

sur.nhm wrote:I've noticed a... bug(?) with the Haruspex's sacrifice weapon special: it doesn't round the displayed result. Otherwise, great campaign (I'm in Race on the Listra now).
Thanks for reminding me about that. I forgot that I hadn't made it round. While it's not wrong, it is unsightly.
Updated on the server; the 1.9 version also increases the difficulty of Race on the Listra slightly.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I finally noticed that the Haruspex no longer displays art in 1.9. Put the oracle images back in. That no one mentioned it before this makes me think it isn't interesting as a unit. Therefore, unless some says otherwise, I will remove it in the next release (it's ability will continue to work for a little after that).

I have also improved the dialog in the first 7 scenarios.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

i thought it was supposed to be invisible but was wondering at the lack of explanation :)
i used it a few times but the sacrifice ability seems too risky for what it gains.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

La clameur des woses a un traduction partial en français!

This is mostly to improve my own French. So far it's only for 1.8 since the text of the two versions has changed and I have yet to figure out how to create my own .po files (mostly due to laziness). It also means that I've been starting with phrases that are either
a) easy
b) essential to being able to play (objectives)
Since I think I've translated all the objectives now, it seemed like a good time to make it available.

Corrections from better French speakers would be greatly appreciated.
EZE

Post by EZE »

I chose Lurker for Kylix to upgrade into.
On "Into the Depths", there was deep water(cave) in the first room but the Submurge ability didn't work.

I didn't have any problem with the crossroads scenario. You are wandering around and have a random encounter. Just one of these isn't a problem.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

Alarantalara wrote:La clameur des woses a une traduction partielle en français!
There's no stats for the translations of Roar of the Woses in gettext.wesnoth.org (http://www.wesnoth.org/gettext/?package ... ion=branch) :(
I believe that Torangan can help you for the po files.

I can help you with the French translation. Send me a PM with what you have done and I will correct it.

Also I don't like "clameur" to translate "roar". "Clameur" describes the cries of a crowd. It is almost never used to describe the noise of animals or individuals. I prefer here "rugissement" as the word conveys also the ideas of anger, fury, and compares woses to dangerous beasts like lions or tigers.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

EZE wrote:On "Into the Depths", there was deep water(cave) in the first room but the Submurge ability didn't work.
I've fixed it for 1.8. For 1.9 I've instead submitted a patch to mainline since it didn't work on the new Grey and Tropical ocean terrains either.

Also, by popular demand, I've added an epilogue. Some of the text isn't being displayed right now, since I forgot that have_unit doesn't search the recall list. This will be resolved in the next update.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Feufochmar wrote:Also I don't like "clameur" to translate "roar". "Clameur" describes the cries of a crowd. It is almost never used to describe the noise of animals or individuals. I prefer here "rugissement" as the word conveys also the ideas of anger, fury, and compares woses to dangerous beasts like lions or tigers.
I could be off base, but if the title is supposed to resemble "War of the Roses", that might be worth taking into account as to what "roar" is translated as.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

The title is supposed to resemble that, more for fun than for any plot similarity. Unfortunately, when I checked the French version of the name on Wikipedia, it is La guerre des Deux-Roses, and since the number two doesn't fit at all, I'm not too concerned with maintaining the similarity.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

doofus-01 wrote:I could be off base, but if the title is supposed to resemble "War of the Roses", that might be worth taking into account as to what "roar" is translated as.
Such plays on words are generally not translatable from one language to another.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

ah i was wondering what that title was about, since i havent heard any woses actually roaring in the game. hmm should there be wose sounds when they get hit?