Roar of the Woses

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Roar of the Woses

Post by Alarantalara »

If I knew what a Wose roar should sound like, I'd play it in the final eponymous scenario.
wintermute00

Post by wintermute00 »

I had a lot of fun on first two scenarios, but now in the third scenario the terrain generated is VERY hard -- the Lizard keep is surrounded by pine trees and it takes three turns to get everyone into the water, resulting in slaughter from the humans when I try to get the goodie in the first cave. Sigh -- restart!
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Can you post a copy of the save game. I want to know how bad it is. I haven't seen that case myself, but if I know where the keeps were placed I can try to prevent that occurrence for happening again.
lynx

Post by lynx »

I don't remember the third scenario, but I didn't have such issues. The terrain was problematic in the scenarios with elves (and the one for footpads), but that's part of the challenge. :)

The toughest scenario for me was the footpad one. The enemies have so much gold that it is impossible to land a skirmish assassination and a frontal assault was ineffective too, since you quickly get two large fronts. To succeed, I sent all my troops to the southern thug, to encircle the keep and prevent further recruiting. It worked, but I lost one third level saurian. A few woses were left behind to defend the water crossing (very effective).

Nice job. :)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

New versions for both 1.8 and 1.9.

Wendek's feedback led me to a bug that gave the Spectral Cloak to a random valid unit (not necessarily the one where the item is). This is now fixed for both versions.

In addition, since most problems seem to be with people finding the last few scenarios boring or forced, you can now skip the second of the two scenarios where you gather allies in the 1.9 version.

Edit:
New version uploaded for 1.9.7. The only change is that macros that no longer exist are not called any more so that the campaign will still run.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Playing scenario 1 at hard, the AI ally attacks both orcs and humans - and they end allied. My dear ally suicided all its units by turn 8. And I have a 52 unit army between my amazing 13 saurians and the enemy leaders I am supposed to kill within the next 16 turns.

I am so ridiculously outnumbered here, that I want to cry.

By turn 13 I reduced the human / orc alliance to 33 units, so i start dreaming it might be possible! But alas, my dear ally suicided himself.
Last edited by taptap on November 9th, 2011, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Well, we can't have that.
I've just uploaded a new version to Wesnoth 1.9.10 that vastly improves the ally's targeting priorities (and makes the AMLA XP match 1.9.10's change and a few other minor things).

Would you like to try again?
taptap

Post by taptap »

Alarantalara wrote:Well, we can't have that.
I've just uploaded a new version to Wesnoth 1.9.10 that vastly improves the ally's targeting priorities (and makes the AMLA XP match 1.9.10's change and a few other minor things).

Would you like to try again?
Sure. Saurians are just so cute.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

I think there may be a bug in Poacher Rescue in 1.9.10
Spoiler:
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

The rescue will still take place if you go to the correct location even if you can't see the prisoner anymore.

Edit: A corrected version that doesn't hide the destination is now on the server
benwulf

Post by benwulf »

well I am playing easy on 1.8.6
like many others I have problems with the scenario in the cave. I am playing on easy and I have tried it from scratch (from the start with new terrain) twice and have restarted during each of those 2 trials many times.
I do manage to explore the cave a bit but never enough to win. I found a magical torc (it didn't help by the time I found it I had only too few units left but I imagine it could be useful in a later scenario). The problem is that I either keep my small group together and I don't explore enough before the human catch up but I manage to kill the monsters without trouble (except for the snakes, if those have a couple of lucky hit your toast) or I split in small group and I do explore more but each small group end up dying due to the monsters.

I'm not even clear about what is the real victory condition. Should we find an exit, is there a set number of tiles to explore, ...
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Can you post a replay from one of the last turns before you lose? While I can tell you exactly what to do, I'd rather try to figure out why some people seem to consistently have trouble with this scenario.

Some things that might be useful that are not immediately obvious:
You should have the time/money to spend two turns recruiting. If you have been leaving the castle after the first turn, you will likely find this scenario harder than necessary.
It is often a good idea to not kill cave dwellers you can out run or avoid. The humans will often stop to kill and be delayed by them. Bonus points if the sea snake near the entrance attacks them and not you.
benwulf

Post by benwulf »

Ok I'll post the replay (later as I'm waiting from a phone). Yes I have figured out that not keeling the cave dwellers when possible helps slow down the humans. It may not be an option in all cases but I have been trying
benwulf

Post by benwulf »

here is a save game shortly before I die
Attachments
RotW-Into_the_Depths-Auto-Save24.gz
(47.91 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I took a look at the replay of your save and tried playing through from turn 1 of your save (and won on turn 23, though my play was sloppy with a couple of unnecessary risks).

The big differences I noticed were:
I recruited for two turns at the start, not one. This almost doubled my forces for the scenario and I still came out with positive gold. There are a lot of villages and a lot of turns, so it's very hard to not get carryover gold.
I sent no one north-west. This is an advantage of knowing the map, perhaps a suggestion to follow the river by Isarras (water creatures like water) should help guide players who are unfamiliar with the map. It will probably only show up in the 1.9 version of the add-on, though.
I ran past the serpent guarding the torc and just left the poisoned saurian there for the rest of the scenario. No one came after him.

Having a larger force and remaining slightly more grouped together let me strike with overwhelming numbers at the end.

If you're interested, I can post the replay, but I thought you might want to try it yourself first.