Scenario 3: Isle of Alduin

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sykora

Post by sykora »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the Scenario on?
Easy

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario
3/10 If you just want to win, 4/10 if you want to get some experience, 5/10 If you also get Konrad to fight, and leave Delfador out of it.

(3) How did you find the scenario objectives.
They're fine.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and the storyline?
T'was allright. I wouldn't have minded a bit more dialogue -- It is Delfador's home after all, but it was ok.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.

(6) How much fun do you think the scenario is?
7/10

(7) Changes?
None that I can think of now.
Cogitp Ergo Sum.
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hard

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
7. Took me about 3 tries.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Didn't pay attention.

On Hard, surviving for 9 turns is trivial and easy so I made my objective killing the enemy leader. This was significantly more difficult.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

7. See below.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I want a fitting reward for defeating the enemy leader by the end of 9 turns. The scenario doesn't give you anything for killing the leader and instead you are left worser off than if you'd just turtled up and made gold.

Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Medium 1.3.1

5 - Not getting your main force wiped out in the first few turns of combat requires some manouvering

Crystal. Kill the boss untill time runs out.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Distraction. Didn't really give anything to the storyline, if not for the ending, could as well be nonexistent.

Estabilishing a front just south of NW group of villages and winning a battle of attrition there with relatively small force without suffering heavy loses. Became all to easy when AI run out of money and started recruiting 0lvl goblins

7 Nice battle, quite refreshing after slow start to the campaign.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Some more dialogue would be nice, apart from that nothing comes to mind
kazper

Post by kazper »

(1) Hard
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) It was good but I'd love a bit more feeling - it's his home after all ;)
(5) None in winning. This was the easiest scenario of the entire campaign. Only later did I realize I should have lvl'ed more units.
(6) 4
(7) A bit more resistance.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Easy, medium.
(2) 2 - Quite easy, but maybe I got lucky choosing a good strategy at the outset.
(3) Completely clear.
(4) Fine.
(5) Balancing the troops send west and south can be tricky, as you can't be sure how the AI will deploy. Apart from that, only tricky stage is defeating the first wave of enemies in the west, as your army is split initially & you don't have gold to recruit a stong army at the start.
(6) 10 - interesting and clear scenario.
(7) None.

(v1.2.4)
Tomyellow

Post by Tomyellow »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium 1.2.4
6 You can win it with a relative bad strategy, but it's not so hard if you find a good balance in your army and a fine strategy.
It was clear, no I know what bonus means, btw. it should be made clear in the introduction of Blacwater Port.
It's good, first time I reached this point of the campaign, I was shocked by the orcs sucess over the great mages.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? [2]
To time the south forces well. AI sent almost all troops to north, I didn't rush with south forces, I attacked when enemy's north forces couldn't come back in one turn. I could take out 4 troops from circulation, because they marched from north to south when I started my main attack.
It 's the first all out attack scenario of the campaign where you have time to create strategy. I really enjoyed it.
Nothing really. It is good.
052Hagen

Post by 052Hagen »

Normal v1.3.14

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

After the initial clash, I basically steam-rolled over the enemy on this map. It's the first larger map though, so if you want to capture all the villages you have to split your forces and have them fight on multiple fronts.

Kill the enemy commander. Clear and simple.

His homeland was attacked and conquered by orcish invaders, the population probably slaughtered, and Delfador - didn't much care about. A little bit more dialoge and drama would be welcome, if you ask me.

Keeping you important units alive when the two forces clash together for the first time can be difficult at times, but after that it's a cakewalk. Give the enemy at least some more gold so that he can fight back.

Good, straightforward, and I like to play larger maps with about equal forces.

*Like I said before, you should make the orcs a little bit more challenging. Other then that, no complains really.
TGM: Orb

Post by TGM: Orb »

Challenging
4, but that's mainly because I engaged in a fight in the mountains that I didn't need to. If I'd taken a little more time and thought about longer-term actions, it'd have been another 2/3.
Perfectly.
Again clear. I'm a little bored by now of just seeing orcs enslaving this and bullying that, and I think the introduction of the mages didn't feel like an honour or something interesting, but just adding a new unit. Could've been done more effectively.
The need to cross water to get to the west side of the island made it difficult to cycle men in my main line and keep veterans alive while making progress, although this wouldn't have been an issue if I were re-playing it. Otherwise, it was pretty easy.
4. Alright, but easy.
On Challenging, I'd at least provide a token force for the south-east of the island, since at the moment that is completely abandoned if my main force moves to the west before going south. Additionally, it was pretty easy to draw off and confuse the orcish main forces with just two-three units (scout + archer + later another archer) in the south-west by basic positioning. Having a couple of units as garrisons around here would both be logical (since the orcs have occupied the island) and make it much more challenging and interesting. A decent-sized map, but I think only 1/3 of it saw any real action.
Jigsawn

Post by Jigsawn »

Wesnoth Version 1.3.14 - Normal

5 to 3

Fine.

Story was ok - would have been nicer to rescue mages as you went along though.

Had some trouble to begin with, battling down the road on the left side of the hills to reach the fort. However once you've cleared those enemies it's a cinch.

7 - quite enjoyable, nice that you can flank around on the right.

Have more of a battle around the east area - once a couple of my troops had killed off the few enemies that came that way they were free to divert attention from my main force - meaning that it was easy to clear up. Maybe give the player more gold at the start and have a bigger force of enemies moving south east, so you have a battle on 2 fronts. Or, though this might be too tough for an early mission, have a tough band of enemies who move up the south east, so you need to slow them down and defend on that side whilst pushing through with your main force in the west.
Lyinar

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Isle of Anduin

Post by Lyinar »

Version: 1.2.8

Medium

Ooh ... 5 or 6. It's certainly a leap forward from previous scenarios, but nothing too hard.

It doesn't get much more straightforward than "kill bad guy".

It was clear, but uninteresting. As has been said: Why are we defending the island if only for Mage-boy's memories? Why does Mage-boy not seem more broken up about this? Being told of survivors being held hostage by the Orcs would give more motivation to fight.

None, really. I sent scouts south to take those villages and took the north with foot units. The south was rather touch-and-go for a bit, but a bit of luck and a little overwhelming force won the day. Operating exclusively with 1st-level units, as I hadn't levelled any up yet.

8. A nice battle with some strategy.

Drama! Pathos! The Orcs are holding the inhabitants prisoner! Mage-boy is in tears! Will our heroes make it in time?
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

Medium, 1.3.17

6, actually, at least at first. I had to spend a few tries on this one because I underestimated the importance of owning villages when they are plentiful. The enemy's 50 gold in the status table didn't sound daunting, but I sobered up when I realized my lax attention to the nearby villages he already owned, which fed a lot of wolves.

Clear

Good. I think Delfador's reiteration "Here, to the place where I was born, where I was trained" doesn't punch as hard as most of his material. I'd like to see his mentioning of Alduin being his home dropped from Blackwater, and see him talk more strongly here:

"Indeed. Once it was a great and prosperous city of scholars and magicians. I was born and trained here, Konrad. But somehow the orcs have seized and pillaged even this place."

Rest is excellent though, and the island is well-sold as a wayside-yet-important story segment with some historical significance.

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?

Really just learning to accept the value of elvish scouts. And I would use them again as village-grabbers and distractions a lot after playing this scenario this time. Some would die, but more had a weird habit of surviving and making it to Rider.

7. It's a good map, and there's not many like it, which I think is why it's stood the test of time so well.

No changes.
tungdil

Post by tungdil »

Medium, 1.3.19

3, looking at the map, reading the goals and knowing what to do. Especially fast troops needed and rushing forward the enemy castle.
Good scenario for getting experience. Maybe I should have waited until the end of the turns and tried to earn more experience?

No problem.

More background informations of Delfador, the isle, magic circle etc.

Picking up every village....collecting gen of the prehistoric...

9. I have loved and enjoyed this map. Peaceful and knowing that the initiative was mine. Was a real good after the first two hurry, hurry stations of this campaign, really.

Please no changes, except maybe more hidden mages and a background story of a magic resistance in the underground....maybe a magic traitor, which has opened the isle for the invaders? Would be a nice explanation, why such a powerful island could be hacked by stupid invaders.
theruler

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Isle of Alduin

Post by theruler »

Normal on version 1.4.0

2 Quite easy. If you manage to let the other elves have less energy then your troops... the AI will always try to put out of action them first... letting you pass through unarmed. Anyway I had 3 units at lvl 2 at the end of the scenario.

CLEAR!

Nice and well exposed.

try to preserve all of my army (6 elves) while reaching the top-left of the map.

7 = pretty funny.

the southern orc encampment is too far.
The breakaway path to the elven outpost to the left and then north, is a bit too preferential.
Chuck Norris' watch displays only an hour. Yours.
theruler

Post by theruler »

Normal on version 1.4.0

6. The Wolfriders are overpowered!!!! they are very fast and quite powerfull in hand to hand combat. But the mages are a good counterpart to deal with them.

Neat.

Clear and full of expectation!

reach the villages to drain the opponent stash.

10 = One of The BEST scenario I played so far. Really.

Give more gold to orcs.
Chuck Norris' watch displays only an hour. Yours.
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
6 ; once you've learned the scenario it's not hard, but making best use of the dual fronts (main force west and down, 2 scouts distracting south and across) isn't immediately obvious
Quite.
Seemed clear but not very interesting (to the point where I really can't remember it now)
Learning to use diversionary forces to pull off parts of the attacking army so I could whittle them down. Also, it was the first level for me where it's basically "weather a large force, then mop up is easy if you're still alive". Not too hard to weather that force with a few tactics in my arsenal, but an interesting hurdle for new players.
7. Sort of introduced a couple new fighting tactics, but overall it's "go kill leader!"
None off the top of my head