Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SlowThinker

Re: Conquest 2.0 - on 1.8 server

Post by SlowThinker »

Why 8 or 16 players only? If less players is interested to play you can play an all-play-all tournament.

Edit:
Maybe you should start a new thread for the tourney, like here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33342
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
SlowThinker

Conquest Pasarganta

Post by SlowThinker »

Gwledig, Mabuse (in the alphabetical order):
Conquest Pasarganta (and Conquest Burgoth (I expect Lich_Lord will finish it soon, and maybe 2 more maps based on the Pasarganta map)) can be easily adapted for your Conquest versions.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, i PLAN to add a new options to MAIN CONQUEST

as you know, infantry units (except militia and generals) got the ability to "fortify".
by the expense of losing their ability to attack and only get 2 moves per round, they gain +15% defense. fortify represents the ability of unmounted units to prepare for an exspected defense.

new options:

1)
disband.
every unit in conquest will get the ability to disband. by right clicking, you can simply delete the unit.
disband will be only possible if the unit has 1 attack and at least 1 move left.

2) (optional)
trample
cavalry units (and perhaps other big units) get the trample ability.
trample gives the unit another attack (no moves !) after attacking.
is limited this to 1 additional attack.
so cavalry units can kill up to 2 units per turn

3)
changes:
upkeep options will most likely get rearranged (0 upkeep set as default)
as well as other options may get rearranged, so that you have to set up a normal, game juts to click quickly

4)
i also have a new map, already finsihed, but i may need to build-in some things that make it impossible to be copied :)

5)
other slight changes (like transport status of ships will be displayed)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

8) Welcome back. I thought you abandoned your Conquest.

BTW Conquest players may be interested in this thread: Gameplay differences between Conquest<-->standard Wesnoth
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

after all, trample is as said just an option i think about.

on the release of the new version i will open a new thread,
and i hope it remains spam-free (else i must ask some mods for help).

this thread is cluttered up with nonsense and non-main-conquest related stuff.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

8) Do you want to rename your Conquest to "Main Conquest"?
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

no.
maybe "conquest warlords".

but then again .. somone like jinnarakta may show up and upload his stuff under "conquest"
which i cannot let happen. :P

anyways .. due to some inspiration from another conquest variant -

1)
i decided to reduce fliers total movement by 1 - 2.
(affecting 6 gold (-1 move = 9) and 8 gold (-2 move = 8 ) fliers

2)
also elves get 50% def in forest.

3)
also working to upload MIDLANDS Map

4)
EDIT:
a big and important change is the quicker distribution of ai units in capitol and realm mode.
this was also long time planned. and easy to implement ;).
Last edited by Mabuse on August 15th, 2011, 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

just finished point 4. distribution of ai units now takes about 1 sec on surdmark map.
its amazing what you can do with a slight moving of a code part :D
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Mabuse wrote:maybe "conquest warlords".

but then again .. somone like jinnarakta may show up and upload his stuff under "conquest"
which i cannot let happen. :P
:) I don't consider it a big ethical problem. It would be better than if he deleted your Conquest, changed the password, and uploaded his own version. :P

Anyway "Conquest" could be filled by 2.7.3, or the old version with militia, cavalry and general. Sometimes players say they are missing old versions.
Mabuse wrote:its amazing what you can do with a slight moving of a code part :D
It is amazing that you could claim so long that the code didn't need any revision :D
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

SlowThinker wrote: Anyway "Conquest" could be filled by 2.7.3, or the old version with militia, cavalry and general. Sometimes players say they are missing old versions.
no. :)
conquest is and will remain conquest.

what am i going to tell alda if he returns and ask me if he can upload stuff :)
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Mabuse wrote:
SlowThinker wrote: Anyway "Conquest" could be filled by 2.7.3, or the old version with militia, cavalry and general. Sometimes players say they are missing old versions.
no. :)
conquest is and will remain conquest.
Its a pity. Somebody could play it if replaced by Conquest 1.0. :wink:
Sir_HidesAlot

Post by Sir_HidesAlot »

Mabuse wrote:btw, i PLAN to add a new options to MAIN CONQUEST
new options:

1)
disband.
every unit in conquest will get the ability to disband. by right clicking, you can simply delete the unit.
disband will be only possible if the unit has 1 attack and at least 1 move left.
One Question, is disband optional ? Like as you can choose a game mod like normal, capital etc etc, is it chosen Disband off Disband on?
meep
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Mabuse wrote: disband.
Are you aware this will allow new tactics, even with the 1 attack and 1 move limitations?
Mabuse wrote:i decided to reduce fliers total movement by 1 - 2.
It will have a bad impact on many maps, which count with the 10-move fliers.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

SlowThinker wrote:
Mabuse wrote: disband.
Are you aware this will allow new tactics, even with the 1 attack and 1 move limitations?
1)
im not afraid if players develop new tactics.
if there are new tactics, im curious how intelligent players will use them.

2)
if you think to know about possible malicious useage of this, feel free to tell me.
i cannot think about any tatcics using this that have bad influence on the gameplay.
the main reason why this is implemented is to give the player a tool to reduce the upkeep in game with upkeep.
SlowThinker wrote:
Mabuse wrote:i decided to reduce fliers total movement by 1 - 2.
It will have a bad impact on many maps, which count with the 10-move fliers.
1)
i felt that this is the best possibility to reduce the power of fliers.
after all the 8 gold fliers got implemented with the new version and were seen as too strong.

2)
if there are a lot of complaints i may give the 6 gold fliers (old fliers) their old 10 moves back (from 9 to 10 back). 8 gold fliers (new fliers) will keep their 8 moves.

Sir_HidesAlot wrote: One Question, is disband optional ? Like as you can choose a game mod like normal, capital etc etc, is it chosen Disband off Disband on?
1)
disband is always possible (=it is not optional).
as said you can only disband a unit (own unit) if it has 1 attack and 1 move left.

i feel it is a basic option, battalions can always be disbanded
(the only thing which might be bad is that a noob who dont knows the meaning of disband will kill his units accidentally - but thats no real problem - a noob might have a little bit more to learn to be succesful in conquest anyways, so it wont depend on the disband button)

2)
about the "misclick"-situation.
i may include an "are you sure to disband this unit ?"- option for disband
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Mabuse wrote:if you think to know about possible malicious useage of this, feel free to tell me.
I wouldn't call it 'malicious', but in very special situations a player will be able to take an enemy village, only due to the disband option.