Scenario 2: Blackwater Port

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dELFador

Re: Scenario Review: Blackwater Port

Post by dELFador »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
medium. 1.7
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
2. The Allie's knights and horsemen helped a lot.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
very clear. kill boss, nothing clearer.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
quite interesting.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
keeping the enemy leader alive until Konrad could kill him.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
none.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Try to teach a man to fish, and he will resent you for trying to make him work.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Easy, Medium, versions 1.4.7, and now 1.7.10

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

2 on Easy, 3 on Medium (except for most recent run through, which was probably a 1, because the orcs didn't attack me til the last turn, probably because I managed to level up 4 units on Elves Besieged, and only recalled the units I used in that mission, as the least experienced had 17EXP!)

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Nothing special, but it provides useful information for newcomers on how to use horsemen (provided they didn't already know how, that is)

None on most recent play through, although usually on Medium difficulty, trying to ensure that I don't lose units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Perhaps offer the AI more incentive to attack the players units even if they already have a few levelled up
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.6.5
Clear enough.
Clear.
None.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Ceilo

Post by Ceilo »

Medium, 1.6

Absolutely.

Quite clear, and a good introduction in using riders.

Finding the right balance in getting enemies killed/villages captured and not getting killed yourself. Capturing an orkish village is not as easy as it looks at first glance.

Non-suicidal allies would be nice.
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

2, thanks to my ally's cavalry diverting enemy forces. For getting the bonus, substantially higher because of the brief period of time available.

No problem, but you should reinforce the day/night turn cycle for new players.

Clear, but not particularly interesting. Introduces players to the glass cannons that are Horsemen.

Gently feeding experience to Haldiel.

7- the varied terrain gives you a complex battle.

None.
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

Hard 1.8.3.

The enemy is not very strong and you can easily get into superior terrain.

Clear enough.

I liked the knight's dialog.

Not much.

Nothing wrong with it, it's just that you only entrench yourself in that cental forest, maybe sending a scout to a flank to distract a few enemies, and just wait for time to run out.

It's fine, no every scenario must be amazingly fun.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

1. Medium, 1.8
2. 4
3. Very
4. Pretty good
5. Keep Hadiel alive
6. 5
7. Maybe Sir Kaylan should also recruit other units beside horseman --> less XP steal
R.I.P
Orcus_Christ

Re: Scenario 2: Blackwater Port

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. Version 1.8
(2) 4. Stay in the forest, don't fight at night.
(3) Crystal clear.
(4) The tip about horsemen and loyalty were nice, since the tutorial wasn't very helpful. Otherwise, it was decent.
(5) Keeping Haldiel alive, giving him experience.
(6) 6. It's alright.
(7) It's fine as is.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1.8.3 Medium and others...

1. Way too easy. No units lost, not even an unit in the danger of being killed. The dialog suggests using horsemen but I used (in all tries) the elves because the forest in the center is so close to the orcs that killing them off without leaving the trees is a breeze

Very clear. But I dont think it actually is possible to delay the orc killing to the point that the ship arrives except when retreating somewhere and not moving at all. So the orc leader always falls.

Very clear. Especially the description of the differences between elves and humans is helpful. But the description suggests to use horsemen, which are in my opinion not the best way to win the scenario

None

2. It is not boring, but bland. Just boarding the ship without delay wouldn't have been a big difference

Maybe giving the orcs some kind of objective, or changing the scenario to being a siege. Blackwater Port is besieged, so You have to kill the leader to be able to board the ship.
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Hard 1.8.5
1 (Avoiding confrontation)
5 (Kill the orc leader)
Very
Clear
Try to kill the orc leader, but failed.
5.. Not too fun.
Make it Harder
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
dotdotdots

Post by dotdotdots »

Hard, 1.8.4

1 (survive), 8 (kill orc leader)

Very clear

Satisfactory

Killing the orc leader. Time is the main issue; unless you play a perfect game, there are not enough turns to organise a proper counter attack.

6, Fine.

9 turns make it both ridiculously easy and difficult. Even a complete new comer can survive 9 turns, but it takes someone who has mastered the game to kill the orc leader. I think it would be better if the orcs come in overwhelming numbers, but you have a few more turns; this way surviving would be an interesting challenge, but if you do you'll have a little extra time to counter attack.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.4, Normal

1 if you just want to survive, 2 if you settle for killing the orcs, 3 or 4 if you want o kill the orcs with no losses (depends on how (un)lucky you are)

Clear

Fine

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
I settled for the kill-em-all strategy, so my main problem was once again my self-imposed challenge of no losses

6 if you actively try to kill the orcs

I think it’s fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
HttT-Blackwater_Port_replay.gz
(20.65 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Specter597

Post by Specter597 »

Easy, Medium, 1.6, 1.8

2/7 The scenario is very easy if you don't play aggressively on Medium. If you try to use the Horseman like the scenario suggest the Orc Archers make quick work of you.

No problem, but you should reinforce the day/night turn cycle for new players. (It took me several goes to figure out why I was being completely obliterated on Medium.)

The dialog is good, but it seems to suggest that Horsemen will be useful in this scenario. They don't do well given the terrain, particularly against Orc Archers.

Getting XP for Haldiel without having him destroyed by whatever orc was passing by.

6 - It is hard to use the special recruit effectively given the terrain.

Not sure.
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Normal, Hard, 1.9.4

3 for hard difficulty, although it's impossible to get the bonus without luck manipulation.

Clear.

Clear, not all that interesting.

I found myself torn between wanting to quickly advance for villages, and having to retreat back east at nightfall.

Remove Simyr as a bonus. Extend the number of turns on hard from 9 to 14 and make killing the orc leader mandatory. Add 2 more villages in the large flat area that doesn't have any, and one more village in the southwest flats.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty? challenging; 1.9.5; 151 starting gold
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 3 to survive with few or no losses
(3) How clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Seems tacked on.
(5) Challenges? Not losing my loyal or other valuable units.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 5
(7) Changes? More time would make killing the enemy leader more conceivable.
(8) Restarts? No restarts or save-loads.

Replay and screenshot attached. I formed a line with my horsemen in the south and with my fighters and archers in the swamp area. I played conservatively and let my ally's suicidal calvalry take the brunt of the enemy's attack. I lost no units, but this was partially due to luck.

Attachments
HttT-Blackwater_Port_replay.gz
(23.49 KiB) Downloaded 761 times