1.12 SP Drake Campaign, Brave Wings

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: 1.8 SP Drake Campaign, Brave Wings

Post by SkyOne »

Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:The Sword/Battler drakes should have at least 10% pierce resistance to steadfast affect it. Now they have steadfast benefits only on 2 resistances ( impact and blade) which limits their usage. 10% pierce resistance should be great too
Yes. I know what you mean. Zero times two is equal to zero. But the highest resistance in the all drakes should be the clasher line. They cannot fly during battles because of their heavy equipments. So as my opinion, only thing to get a high defense, including the chance to hit, for drakes is to pick up an item or to add someone else in the side. Once, I actually have planed to add an unit, who is not a really drake, in the middle of the campaign, but a problem is where and how. It may break the balance of the story. I mean that I have to add another small story for him in the middle of the campaign in the case. So let's see what is going to be. I am always trying to create a good contribution on the community, but recently, the new edition of FoaP takes all of my Wesnoth time (still). Well, it is also a contribution for the community, though.

Anyway, thank you for paying attentions.:smile:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

Both clasher lines deal more damage than sword/battlers, so turning sword/battlers into more defensive units by giving them 10% pierce resist should be fine. Tehy're overspecialized now as pierce damage type is common in game while they're your the most resistant unit in defense vs impact and blade
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

This campaign is awesome. Just, great work. Anyway, I downloaded it today, so I assume I got the newest version. Just a few things I noticed (on easy difficulty):

The scenario with the Saurians vs the trolls seems unbalanced. Specifically, the saurians swarmed the field, forcing me to fight for the few kills I could get. Could they be made to recruit fewer soldiers? At one point, the field was actually crawling with little lizards. I realize I was playing it on easy but I doubt little lizards should be able to dismantle trolls with no difficulty.
The same thing happened to a lesser extent with the scenario where I fought alongside the legion. I forget the scenario number but it was the one where you fight two orc bosses with your allies being a general who can recruit saurians, elves, and dwarves. It wasn't as unbalanced but I feel like I could have beaten it without their aid.
Lastly, the scenario where you face various enemies in the laboratory seemed fine up until the last boss. I feel like he can recruit too many soldiers. It's only a very minor problem but I suppose it would be better-suited for easy difficulty if he had ~30 gold less and ~2 income less.

But I don't want to make it sound like this was a bad experience. This campaign is great. Everything else is fantastic, specifically: the weapons you can get (including the naga orb), the fact that you ally with a mermaid, how the drakes have honor, the twist with the undead in scenario 2, the way the drakes teamed up with a wose, the new drakes castles, etc. It really should be a part of the mainline campaigns since it doesn't mess with the lore.

And since I have already written about a page (sorry), is there any way to download this campaign and keep it on my disk?
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Arawn wrote:This campaign is awesome. Just, great work. Anyway, I downloaded it today, so I assume I got the newest version. Just a few things I noticed (on easy difficulty):

The scenario with the Saurians vs the trolls seems unbalanced. Specifically, the saurians swarmed the field, forcing me to fight for the few kills I could get. Could they be made to recruit fewer soldiers? At one point, the field was actually crawling with little lizards. I realize I was playing it on easy but I doubt little lizards should be able to dismantle trolls with no difficulty.
The same thing happened to a lesser extent with the scenario where I fought alongside the legion. I forget the scenario number but it was the one where you fight two orc bosses with your allies being a general who can recruit saurians, elves, and dwarves. It wasn't as unbalanced but I feel like I could have beaten it without their aid.
Lastly, the scenario where you face various enemies in the laboratory seemed fine up until the last boss. I feel like he can recruit too many soldiers. It's only a very minor problem but I suppose it would be better-suited for easy difficulty if he had ~30 gold less and ~2 income less.

But I don't want to make it sound like this was a bad experience. This campaign is great. Everything else is fantastic, specifically: the weapons you can get (including the naga orb), the fact that you ally with a mermaid, how the drakes have honor, the twist with the undead in scenario 2, the way the drakes teamed up with a wose, the new drakes castles, etc. It really should be a part of the mainline campaigns since it doesn't mess with the lore.

And since I have already written about a page (sorry), is there any way to download this campaign and keep it on my disk?
Sure, but it depends on what OS you're using, and what version of Wesnoth.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Sorry for delaying to reply.
Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:Both clasher lines deal more damage than sword/battlers, so turning sword/battlers into more defensive units by giving them 10% pierce resist should be fine. Tehy're overspecialized now as pierce damage type is common in game while they're your the most resistant unit in defense vs impact and blade
It doesn't show on the unit profile, so I thought it was good enough even getting 10% more damage just for the impact attack. On the next edition, I will remove the steadfast ability from Sword/Battler, then add 10 up for the pierce-resistance to Sword and 20 up to Battler. So Battler will be the best defender against the pierce attack in any Drakes, but against other attacks, he will be the same as Blademaster. In addition, I will make a loyal unit, Angiddon (will be Angiuron), have the steadfast ability to make the ability cheer up in the campaign in a case of selecting Sword Drake on its advancement, and to specialize Angiddon as a loyal unit.

I also plan to increase Sword/Battler' damage of hit to one each more. This will make them almost equalized offensively to Warrior/Blademaster. So I think those, including the pierce-resistance, probably bring enough reason why they are a bit slower than Warrior/Blademaster.

Thank you for the comment.:smile:

By the way, Drake Battler will be Drake Swordmaster on the next edition (the same thing as FoaP).

Arawn wrote:The scenario with the Saurians vs the trolls seems unbalanced. Specifically, the saurians swarmed the field, forcing me to fight for the few kills I could get. Could they be made to recruit fewer soldiers? At one point, the field was actually crawling with little lizards. I realize I was playing it on easy but I doubt little lizards should be able to dismantle trolls with no difficulty.
Thank you so much for your feedback. To be honest, I have tested the campaign on NOMAL and HARD difficulty as well, but not much on EASY difficulty. So your feedback is helpful to balance on the EASY. Thank you! I will refer, then balance them.:smile:
Arawn wrote:But I don't want to make it sound like this was a bad experience. This campaign is great. Everything else is fantastic, specifically: the weapons you can get (including the naga orb), the fact that you ally with a mermaid, how the drakes have honor, the twist with the undead in scenario 2, the way the drakes teamed up with a wose, the new drakes castles, etc. It really should be a part of the mainline campaigns since it doesn't mess with the lore.

I really appreciate such nice comments here.:smile: You make me encourage to keep polishing up the campaign. If you are seriously thinking to create own BfW-disc with this campaign, you can wait a while, because this is still under development. I have to touch up many small things on it. On the newest edition (not on the server yet), I have installed an ally unit on the scenario, Orcish Newport. He is not a drake, more like Godzilla.:razz: Let's see he can melt in the campaign or not. Currently, he is not ready, yet.

After that, I can modify the campaign to fit with the mainline campaigns for you if you are still interested in it at the time. We probably just need to change the path on the main file and the map data, anyway. So you can also do it yourself easily. (the same thing as your campaign.:wink: )

Good luck for your campaign, Arawn.
From my point of view, you are a polite and nice user on the forums. That was my first impression from your first thread.
Just keep doing both your campaign and attitude. Being polite and nice is very important on the forums.:smile:

To sur.nhm: Thank you for helping the thread as usual.:smile:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Ok, so I just finished the campaign and it was awesome! Loved just about all of it. I managed to beat it without losing almost any units, just the way I think easy should go with sufficient effort. Just a note: the objectives for destroying the orc's weapon were a bit undefined. I never knew that on turn six, they would fire the cannon. I was also a bit sad when the mermaid died but it made for a good story. And the twist at the ending was quite good. The only real problem I saw was that at the epilogue, you used the zombie versions of the drake leader and ent instead of the living sprites. Also, just for story's sake, maybe you should explain why other mermen couldn't pick up the holy water after it was dropped.

So, yeah, great campaign. It really should go mainline if possible, but it's good as is.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,

I did not actually post to notice updating version 0.7.9 because I was too busy during the Christmas/New Year time, like Kriss Kringle :razz:, and I had already mentioned the changes on this page. After that, I totally missed a timing to post it even I have a little extra time lately.

However, I have another chance to notice it at this moment because the next version, 0.8.0, is on the server now. When I tested the campaign recently, I seriously thought that the Mermaids needed one or two more scenario(s) to be ready for the final battle on the Legend of a Dragon scenario. (Of course,) I always know what's going to happen after, but players usually do not. So I decided to spread the Orcish Newport scenario into two, so one more short scenario has been added after Thunderthrow, and before Orcish Newport.

The new one will be the first scenario to get the Merman-allies for the Drakes in the campaign, except Mélphine, so they have four scenarios (instead of three scenarios previously) to battle with the Mermen on this edition. It made the campaign-balance (not the scenario-balance) and the story a bit better actually.

Because of the addition, scenarios have been rebalanced on the Thunderthrow scenario and after. The golds in the campaign is usually the most at the end of scenario Thunderthrow. On the new scenario, called Mermaid Commander, players are able to keep the amount with having one or two additional healer(s) at the end if they defeat the Ogre leader also. (the main enemy leader is Dire Wolf on the scenario.)

Some of other files have been improved (fixing minor bugs, polishing up WML, etc...). In addition, the wose unit (Orofarnië) is able to advance to the level=3 on the edition. If players make him level=3 on the first two scenarios, he will transform to his level=3 on the Legend of a Dragon scenario with the arcane-melee-attack when he picks up the potion. It will be a huge advantage to defeat Kragash Varg on the scenario (even his level=2).:) But the scenario will still end even Orofarnië won't pick up the potion, and will transform to his level=2 or 3 at the end of the scenario in the case. (that was a bug till version 0.7.8. Arawn reported it above. Many thanks, Arawn.:smile: )
----------------

EDIT: on Feb, 20

Version 0.8.1 is on the server.
-Thunderthrow scenario and Mermaid Commander scenario have been touched up.
-making the attack-animations of Sword/Swordmaster units a bit better.
-changing Drake Ranger's move-type. He is the same move-type as Sky/Hurricane now, but still less movement.

Thanks
mich
Translator

Post by mich »

Hi SkyOne, in the last few months I wasn't completely away from wesnoth. I replayed this campaign, and I noticed a little bug. In the scenario where the gryphon rider leave the gryphon, on the first move he still has the gryphon rider movepoints (scenario 07_Dwarvish_Bandits). I also noticed that the wose at the end of the campaign remains a zombie, as already said by someone else, but I don't really know if I played the lastest version, so probably you already fixed this.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi mich,
Thank you for a bug report, replaying it, and surprising me.:)
mich wrote:In the scenario where the gryphon rider leave the gryphon, on the first move he still has the gryphon rider movepoints (scenario 07_Dwarvish_Bandits).
There has been two bugs that I cannot fix on this campaign since the beginning. This is one of them. (another one is the first leader, Eagi-Nyess, has never been un-stored as well on the last scenario.) The bug used to be worser: http://gna.org/bugs/?15055
After soliton fixed it, I just judged myself that it was impossible to be fixed. But now, by re-thinking it, it may be possible. I will try it this weekend. Thank you.:)
mich wrote:I also noticed that the wose at the end of the campaign remains a zombie, as already said by someone else, but I don't really know if I played the lastest version, so probably you already fixed this.
Hehe... If you say something like that on the forums, it usually means that the bug is still there because you are such a kind person. Honestly, I fixed that WML, but I have not tested it as well. I am always excited to play this scenario even in a test, so I pick up the potion for the wose unit, always.:razz:
I will test it with avoiding to pick up the potion in the next time (tomorrow, maybe).
Thank you so much.:)

By the way, have you (or anyone) seen a Giant Monster unit (a wingless drake) when you play at this time? I am curious that he fits on the campaign or not. I grew up with Godzilla movies, so he does not disturb me at all. But it is possible that anyone has an opinion, like: he should not be on the campaign...
If anyone tells me an opinion(s), I will appreciate it. (oh, I attach its base frame.)
Attachments
monster.png
monster.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
mich
Translator

Post by mich »

SkyOne wrote:
mich wrote:In the scenario where the gryphon rider leave the gryphon, on the first move he still has the gryphon rider movepoints (scenario 07_Dwarvish_Bandits).
There has been two bugs that I cannot fix on this campaign since the beginning. This is one of them. (another one is the first leader, Eagi-Nyess, has never been un-stored as well on the last scenario.) The bug used to be worser: http://gna.org/bugs/?15055
After soliton fixed it, I just judged myself that it was impossible to be fixed. But now, by re-thinking it, it may be possible. I will try it this weekend. Thank you.:)
Well I haven't really looked if he can go or not in deep water. I was just thinking of manually reduce the movepoints on the first move, to just match them with the dwarf movepoints. You can simply do this storing the unit, changing manually the .moves variable and unstoring it back.
By the way, have you (or anyone) seen a Giant Monster unit (a wingless drake) when you play at this time? I am curious that he fits on the campaign or not. I grew up with Godzilla movies, so he does not disturb me at all. But it is possible that anyone has an opinion, like: he should not be on the campaign...
If anyone tells me an opinion(s), I will appreciate it. (oh, I attach its base frame.)
Yes, I have seen the giant monster. I haven't problem with him being in the campaign. The only strange thing is that he has a movement type similar to a flying unit, but he is without wings. I can understand that he has naga blood and a good movement in water is required from the scenarios, but it's a little strange that his movetype is identical to the one of a flying unit.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

SkyOne wrote:If anyone tells me an opinion(s), I will appreciate it. (oh, I attach its base frame.)
I admit that I don't really know the context of it in this campaign, but that looks a bit small for a Godzilla-like monster. The mainline fire-dragon would eat it in one gulp. Well, maybe two gulps.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

It's...it's...a dinosaur!!! :drool: This makes me wish I had better access to 1.8 so I could play your campaign. Dang. Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait until ya update it then. :wink:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Virgeist

Post by Virgeist »

[deleted]
Last edited by Virgeist on November 5th, 2013, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Après avoir retiré à coup de hache le fémur droit
Il brisa l'os et aspira goûlument la moelle
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

No. That would be Wings of Victory.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

A new version, 0.8.2, went to the 1.8 server.
mich wrote:Well I haven't really looked if he can go or not in deep water. I was just thinking of manually reduce the movepoints on the first move, to just match them with the dwarf movepoints. You can simply do this storing the unit, changing manually the .moves variable and unstoring it back.
It has been fixed on the newest version that I just uploaded.
Thank you, my master.:wink:
mich wrote:Yes, I have seen the giant monster. I haven't problem with him being in the campaign. The only strange thing is that he has a movement type similar to a flying unit, but he is without wings. I can understand that he has naga blood and a good movement in water is required from the scenarios, but it's a little strange that his movetype is identical to the one of a flying unit.
It is true...
I changed his move-type to based on "naga" on version 0.8.2. Still a bit strange, but hopefully, better than before.
doofus-01 wrote:
SkyOne wrote:If anyone tells me an opinion(s), I will appreciate it. (oh, I attach its base frame.)
I admit that I don't really know the context of it in this campaign, but that looks a bit small for a Godzilla-like monster. The mainline fire-dragon would eat it in one gulp. Well, maybe two gulps.
Aaa... That was why he looked odds when he was with humanoid units on maps. His size was like an old drake. Now, I made him almost like current drake-size (still a bit smaller). I really appreciate your advise from your trained eyes, doofus-01.:)
Mountain_King wrote:It's...it's...a dinosaur!!! :drool: This makes me wish I had better access to 1.8 so I could play your campaign. Dang. Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait until ya update it then. :wink:
It is probably ready for you now.
Thank you. :)
shadowmaster wrote:
Virgeist wrote: Is this the official Drake campaign?
No. That would be Wings of Victory.
The campaign has been a while, and it was originally created as a post story of Fate of a Princess campaign. So I keep the original post on the very first page in this thread.
Sorry for the confusion.