1.12 SP Drake Campaign, Brave Wings

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: 1.8 SP Drake Campaign, Brave Wings

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,

As I mentioned on Add-on Feedback Forum, these three units (attachment) have replaced previous Godzilla-like monster on the new version, 0.8.3. (Commander is the level=3 of Chief, and the others are level=2.) I am planning to develop their race that is called "carapace" so far, so I will appreciate any comments regarding to the units at this moment. Do they melt in the campaign? Do they look good enough in the game? etc..

Crab-like one is a bit too beautiful as my art work (although the color is cooked one), because doofus-01 touched it up here :) : http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34015
Thanks doofus-01. :)

EDIT: I also would like to hear some opinion(s) regarding to updating the campaign to 1.9/10.
The Fire Dragon on 1.9/10 is huge, much bigger than one on 1.8. On the other hand, Skeletal Dragon (for Kragash Varg) on 1.9/10 is the same as one on 1.8. So I don't think they match each other on the final battle scenario.

The possible ways that I can imagine are following:
1. Keep using Fire Dragon on 1.8
2. Make Skeletal Dragon bigger to match to Fire Dragon on 1.9/10
3. Not to update the campaign on 1.9/10
4. Anything else

Could anyone tell me an opinion?
But it will be possible that nobody responses. In the case, my decision will be #1 or #3. (If I choose #3, I will bring Armageddon Drake and the animations of Flare and Flameheart from 1.9 to this campaign for 1.8.)

Another EDIT:
Okay, I am trying to do #2 above. It will probably take a while though...
In fact, I found some bugs on version 0.8.3 that I wrote on the very first page. They will be fixed on the next version.
-------------------

Another EDIT on Aug, 1
A bug fixed version, 0.8.4, is on 1.8 server.
turtle like monsters below are replaced to another set on this edition.

Thanks
Attachments
monstrous-carapace.png
monstrous-carapace.png (4.65 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
commander.png
commander.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
chief.png
chief.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
kamisama

Post by kamisama »

Where can get this campaign. Im new to this game and cant find it
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

kamisama wrote:Where can get this campaign. Im new to this game and cant find it
Thank you for picking up the right thread, kamisama.
I have been tired to talk myself on it, so you are like kamisama for me.:)

On topic: this campaign is currently on BfW 1.8 server. So you have to have BfW 1.7.8 - 1.8.6 to play it (recommended version: 1.8.5 or 1.8.6).

If you have already installed one of those, open it, then click the "Add-on" button on the main menu screen. After a small window shows, click "Connect". The add-on list will show. Brave Wings is around 25th from the top on the list.

EDIT: But if you are really new to play, I recommend to play the default campaign, first. The South Guard, An Orcish Incursion, and Heir to the Throne with the easy difficulty are recommended after playing the tutorial.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
HenryPlainview

Post by HenryPlainview »

I haven't actually played this campaign at all yet, although I want to (sorry, my gaming computer is currently without internet access...), but since I've wandered in I will give my random opinion at 5am. If your question is purely referring to a cosmetic comparison, yes, the 1.9 Fire Dragon is enormous (too big IMHO--it clips right through castle tiles and it's difficult to tell what units are around it even on open ground), while the bone dragon is much more compact. However, size is not necessarily directly related to power, especially with the dark magic that animates skeletons. Personally, I would say that you can just leave the original sprite be in 1.9 and save yourself the time. As you can see from the thread, it doesn't seem to be something that anybody else actually cares about...

If I misunderstood your question, sorry.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

HenryPlainview wrote:I haven't actually played this campaign at all yet, although I want to (sorry, my gaming computer is currently without internet access...), but since I've wandered in I will give my random opinion at 5am. If your question is purely referring to a cosmetic comparison, yes, the 1.9 Fire Dragon is enormous (too big IMHO--it clips right through castle tiles and it's difficult to tell what units are around it even on open ground), while the bone dragon is much more compact. However, size is not necessarily directly related to power, especially with the dark magic that animates skeletons. Personally, I would say that you can just leave the original sprite be in 1.9 and save yourself the time. As you can see from the thread, it doesn't seem to be something that anybody else actually cares about...

If I misunderstood your question, sorry.
I really appreciate the reasonable comment, HenryPlainview. You don't have to be sorry at all because you haven't played this campaign. At least, you reply my issue while nobody has cared.:)

The problem was: - the Skeleton Dragon in this campaign is real father, who was a Fire Dragon and killed by Drakes, of the leader unit who transforms to Fire Dragon from a Drake. So his size has to match to Fire Dragon on this campaign.

This is a bit ugly because I am not an artist, and still needs to be polished up, but I have made a base frame of bigger Skeleton Dragon for 1.9/10 (maybe, just temporary-use). I will probably update with it because I am physically a bit hard to do the art-work, recently, by having a tenosynovitis on my third finger of the mouse hand. (because of my age, I am not always healthy anymore...)

The ranged weapons of the turtle like monsters will be replaced from "fire breath" to "water breath / bomb" on the 1.9/10 edition. So its weapon type will be "impact", instead of "fire".
I notice it before updating the campaign.:)
Attachments
skeletal-dragon-big.png
skeletal-dragon-big.png (22.15 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
HenryPlainview

Post by HenryPlainview »

SkyOne wrote: At least, you reply my issue while nobody has cared.:)
Woah, it's been a long time since I made that post, time gets away from me...Yeah, there aren't enough hours in the day for me to play even a fraction of the add-ons here, but it makes me sad to see so much of people's work just sink. Anyway, the story reason makes sense, although you could still handwave it away because magic. ;-) And are there even non-fire dragons in Wesnoth for the mainline skeletal dragons to be resurrected from? It seems they have the same problem you do. Anyway, that sprite looks pretty good, although the larger size draws much more attention to the strangeness of the rampant pose. The whole thing should probably be redesigned, but considering we still don't even have animated Spectres I doubt anyone wants to do entirely new art and animation for a unit that is rarely seen. My point was that your primary goal for this project should be getting it ready for 1.10, but since you've already done the work I guess that's irrelevant.

And I am finally getting a new computer, so maybe soon I will be playing this campaign. It is too bad that a mainline Drake campaign is so far off.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

HenryPlainview wrote:are there even non-fire dragons in Wesnoth for the mainline skeletal dragons to be resurrected from? It seems they have the same problem you do
Exactly.:) So I expect that some artist(s) will updated it.
But AFAIK, there are not any scenes like that in mainlines although Skeleton Dragon appears on EI.
HenryPlainview wrote:Anyway, that sprite looks pretty good, although the larger size draws much more attention to the strangeness of the rampant pose.
Oh, thank you. Even just a flattery, I am happy to hear it.:)
As you said, that sprite is in between a portrait and a regular-sprite. Much more dots include on it. Obviously, it is over my art-skill. So I just made old SD sprite bigger, then changed his face (because the face was not toward south-east). After that I just cleaned it up.

The sprite itself still looks ugly (I think), but the balance with Fire Dragon in the game screen is okay now. I attach the screen shot (although they don't face each other at this moment).
HenryPlainview wrote:The whole thing should probably be redesigned, but considering we still don't even have animated Spectres I doubt anyone wants to do entirely new art and animation for a unit that is rarely seen. My point was that your primary goal for this project should be getting it ready for 1.10, but since you've already done the work I guess that's irrelevant.
Well, as you know, this is a freeware game. All of us work voluntarily AFAIK. So anyone usually doesn't want to do anything if he/she is not interested in (as you imagine). That is why artists are always welcome in this community. But I think the art-developers, such as TSI, are doing great jobs here. I would love to fill up the holes, but unfortunately, only thing I can do is to create minor faction campaigns here. Contributing the stories with the second class unit-images is the best thing I can do as a none artist, a none programmer, and a person who does not speak English as the first language.

This is one of them (well, Drakes are not really minor faction though). The next will be a Naga campaign that is getting ready.:) (of course, I enjoy creating them.)

Actually, I have a skill of creating music, but I don't think I can make the same or even near quality that West has created... There is no hole in the music section, though, from my point of view. Maybe, the sound needs more updates than the music (I think).
HenryPlainview wrote:And I am finally getting a new computer, so maybe soon I will be playing this campaign. It is too bad that a mainline Drake campaign is so far off.
Congratulations. :) You can wait until the new edition is released. That will be on 1.9/10 server shortly (I will tell it here). In fact, it has already been playable on it. I just need to install the new [ai] code on some scenarios, then test them.
And "Wings of Victory" (a Drake Campaign) is supposed to be a mainline, probably on BfW 1.12.

Anyway, I really appreciate your attentions.:)
I hope you will enjoy my campaigns. (Drakes are also involved a lot on FoaP that will be on 1.9/10 server shortly, too.)
SD-vs-FD.png
=============================
EDIT on Dec, 11

version 0.8.6 is on 1.9/1.10 server.

EDIT on the same day:
Uh-oh, some bugs have already been found on the new edition. :augh:

On scenario 3, Naga Land, the Storm Orb disappears when the Mermaid is rescued. I know why though on 1.9.x.
It will be fixed on the next edition. The hex is 14, 7. It triggers if an unit moves to the hex even though the orb is not there.

Some unit names don't show on the unit-profile at "advances_to". I am not sure why, yet, but they advance correctly in the game.
---------------------------------------

Okay, version 0.8.7 has been updated in the same day because the bug was kind of annoying, and the similar thing would probably occur on scenario 10, Thunderthrow. I made the crossing version possible although I found another minor bug. whew...
(second one above has not been fixed on this edition, though.)
----------------------------------------
EDIT on Dec, 15
Another bug has been found on scenario 9, Bandit's Connection.
The fixed version will be uploaded on coming weekend. Until then, avoiding to defeat Troll leader is appropriate on the sceanrio. Sorry...
EDIT on Dec, 17
As I said above, version 0.8.8 went to the 1.9/1.10 server.
Some bugs that are annoying to play have been fixed.
0.8.x series will continue to be updated on BfW 1.9/1.10 in my plan.
EDIT on Dec, 25
-version 0.8.9 is on the server- Merry Christmas ^_^
EDIT on Feb. 4
The new version, 0.8.10, is on the server.
All changes are minor.

But default Sky and Hurricane Drake have been used on this edition.
The default standing animations of all other drakes may be used on version 0.9.x (not sure, yet).

Thanks
SkyOne

Re: 1.10 SP Drake Campaign, Brave Wings

Post by SkyOne »

... long enough using the previous post, I guess...

It seems like I updated with a wrong file on the previous version, 0.8.10. Something was in the middle of the work on the Orcish Newport scenario. So the new version, 0.9.0, is now on the server with the correct files. The most of changes are minor, except removing CFG files of Sky Drake Bw and Hurricane Drake Bw from the folder. They have not been used since version 0.8.10. Therefore, crossing with version 0.8.9 or before is usually no-longer available, except the case of none-using Sky and Hurricane Drake from the old save-file.

The most of bugs that I recognized have been fixed, including the unit-images, except one that has been written on the very first page. It may be impossible to fix on the current BfW as long as I use the custom standing animation of Drakes...
------------------------------------------

EDIT on Feb. 21st,

A bug fixed version, 0.9.1, went to the server.
The changes are all minor, such as adding a volcano on maps, except scenario 3 Naga Land that has been modified slightly.

Version 0.9.2 went to the server on Apr. 3rd with fixing very minor bugs.
The most of changes are just to show some images correctly at this update.

Version 0.9.3 went to the server on Apr. 21st.
All changes are minor, such as adjusting unit-XP, updating some unit-images, modifying slightly scenario 11, Mermaid Commander, etc...
There was a bug on the epilogue scenario, but it has been fixed on this edition.

A temporary bug fixed version, 0.9.4, has been on the server since July. 28th.
It is a kind of minor changed updates, so I keep using the same post. (actually, I don't really like to keep posting myself even passing 5-6 months, so the notice of the next update is probably going to be on this post by using the EDIT.:) Some unit-images have been uniformed from my others at this time.

On the next edition, the scenario and the map of Hidden Cave will be modified.

Version 0.9.5 went to the server on Aug. 7th.
As I said above, 8th scenario and map, Hidden Cave, has been modified. Since this version, players has been able to avoid the next cave scenario, Bandit's Connection, as player's choice. A couple of battling areas has also been modified to outside of the cave.

During the 0.9.x series, the scenario numbers won't be changed, so crossing with older versions is just fine.

Some other minor changes and bug fixes include on it, such as Tyngel's overlay, loyal to hero.
-----------------------------------------

Image bugs (some magenta parts are not the team-color) have been found. I am working on it...
(hold on please...)

Thanks
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,

Version 0.9.6 is now on the 1.10 server.
At this time, a kind of major changes includes on it, so I decided to make a new post.

A turtle like monster, Mavloss unit, has been replaced to another set of units, so crossing with any old versions causes to the unknown unit type error after scenario Thunderthrow. Generally, the version number of this campaign should be 0.10.0 or 1.0.0 in the case, but I keep it as 0.9.x as long as FoaP is still 0.9.x. I mean that the version number on FoaP should be higher than one on this campaign.

Anyway, there had been some image-bugs on all custom drakes and Merman Outcast unit in this campaign. Some magenta parts (pixels) on the images had not been the team color, especially during the animations. Those have been fixed on this version.

It had actually occurred on FoaP units, also.
Therefore, if anyone is using any of units that are mentioned above or listed below from either FoaP and BW, please replace its/their images to ones on:
FoaP - version 0.9.18 (or after)
BW - version 0.9.6 (or after)

The units which needed to be touched on FoaP:
Drakes: - all on FoaP
Elves: - Child Sorceress, Lieutenant, Noble Avenger, Recruit, Royal Sorceress
Humans: - Black Knight, Follower (ex-Adherent), Mage Dragoon, Mage Rider, Rogue Knight, Rogue Mage, Shadow Lord, Shadow Mage
Monsters: - Wild Horse, Royal Pony
Southern Orcs: - all, except Southern Goblin and Berserker
---------------

EDIT on the next day:
A mistake has been found on Heroic Carapace’s unit file. During the melee attack animation (morning star), the first frame probably won’t show. Also another melee attack (trident) animation is not really what I want. Sorry about them. They will be fixed on the next edition. This is corrected one anyway:
Hero.cfg
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
---------------

EDIT on Sep. 20th.
The bug that I mentioned above has been fixed on version 0.9.7 which has just gone to the 1.10 server. Also, some turn [event]s have been replaced to turn refresh [event]s that were supposed to be on scenario 5 Air Battle and 14 Legend of a Dragon.

Thanks
ElvishSorcerer

Post by ElvishSorcerer »

AWESOME I ALWAYS WANTED A DRAKE CAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Crendgrim on October 7th, 2012, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed excessive smileys.
The Following Statement Is True

The Previous Statement Is False
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Please read your PMs, ElvishSorcerer.
Everyone else, please just ignore this post.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is a start of a portrait for the Drake Lord. I didn't try to make it look like the mainline drakes, SkyOne says it is not supposed to look like a demon.
Attachments
skyone-drake1.png
skyone-drake1.png (73.72 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

ElvishSorcerer wrote:AWESOME I ALWAYS WANTED A DRAKE CAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Thanks.:)
There are some other drake campaigns on the server. I don't have much time to play any recently, but I guess Children of Dragons has probably been developed as well. Flight to Freedom is the most famous drake campaign in BfW, and Wings of Victory has been developed for a mainline drake campaign.
And some more, such as Burning Soul and etc...

Anyway, I will appreciate if you tell me what difficulty level you played.
doofus-01 wrote:This is a start of a portrait for the Drake Lord. I didn't try to make it look like the mainline drakes, SkyOne says it is not supposed to look like a demon.
Uh, ah... particularly on this campaign, drakes are pretty much heroic characters, so this guy fits in it as well. On FoaP, he also melts in the story. Thank you so much. I think drawing Drakes are harder than drawing the most of others because there are not any examples in our real lives (AFaIK). A great appreciation to you.:)

His left hand looks human-like, but like I said above, I am not sure how it should be, how many fingers drakes have as such... According to TSI's drakes, they are four fingers... (it seems Godzilla has four fingers, too, but it probably depends on what Godzilla.:) )

EDIT: it seems the most of dragon-like creatures have four fingers (the thumb + three) under my research, so we go with it if you don't mind.
peonage

Post by peonage »

im new in forums just wanna know where the hell are the DL links for these custom campaigns??? thanks
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

peonage wrote:im new in forums just wanna know where the hell are the DL links for these custom campaigns??? thanks
Okay, when you open the Battle for Wesnoth, there is the "Add-ons" button in the middle. Click it, then click "Connect" on the small window, called "Connect to Server". The list of add-ons will show in a few seconds. After that, you just need to pick (click) whatever you like. One you pick is going to be installed automatically into your add-ons folder of your computer. (this campaign is around the middle, by the way.)

There is another way to download them here: http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/
But you have to install (drag) it manually to play in the case, so the first one is recommendable.

-------------------
EDIT:
version 0.9.8 has been on the 1.10 server (since Oct. 26th).
All changes are minor such as maps/villages editing, portraits polishing and replacing. A unit has been added as level=3 crab-like monster. Its unit name and ID is the same as previous Monstrous Carapace, just its level=2 unit, Infiltrative Carapace, has been added. So crossing with old versions is just fine.

Another edit for this release: - I think new Monstrous Carapace is too big. It will be a bit smaller on the next edition...
------------------
EDIT:
A new version, 0.10.0, has been on the 1.10 server since Nov. 24th.
This is the first release of 0.10.x, but as far as starting from the beginning of the scenarios, crossing with older versions is just fine.
changes:
- The first two scenarios have been modified by installing L0 Dolphin, Marlin, and Shark unit. So the strategies of the scenarios has been changed, especially the first one.

- If any drakes advance to L2 unit before the game leader changes on the middle of the second scenario, one each of the L2 units will be added on the recall list of the second game leader.

- Divine Carapace unit, that appeared on the last battling scenario, has been removed on this edition. A dolphin unit does his job on the scenario of this edition (and later).
--------------

Version 0.10.1 has been on 1.10 server (since Feb.16th).
The changes are just the replacement of Drake Lord portrait, drew by doofus-01 (thank you so much), and changing the shark unit to level=0 that was supposed to be.

Some other changes have been planed on the new version of BfW 1.11 that has already been working on. I finally decided to use all default Drakes because no-one has ever mentioned my efforts.:) But uploading it to 1.11 server still takes a little while...

Thanks