Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

secretspacepolice

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by secretspacepolice »

I just had EoHS kick the bucket during a campaign, something about initialization errors
Screenshot at 2021-10-03 10-26-32.png
Screenshot at 2021-10-03 10-26-04.png
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Well, that's a bizarre error message. It looks like pairs returned nil?? That can only happen if the table has a metamethod __pairs, but the unit's resistances table clearly should just be a normal table... I guess it's technically possible that the campaign did some weird Lua stuff that broke it, but that seems extremely improbable - this is presumably EoHS's fault, but I'm stumped.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Elvish_Pillager wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 3:36 pm Well, that's a bizarre error message. It looks like pairs returned nil?? That can only happen if the table has a metamethod __pairs
Actually, that error message can occur if the argument to pairs is simply nil.
Elvish_Pillager

If the argument to pairs was nil, then the error message would be bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil).
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Try this code:

Code: Select all

t = nil
for k,v in pairs(t) do
  print(k)
  print(v)
end

$ ./lua test.lua
./lua: test.lua:2: bad argument #1 to 'for iterator' (table expected, got nil)
Elvish_Pillager

When I try that, I get exactly the error message I said. Ugh, is it a version issue? I've still got 5.1.5 on my computer, did they change the behavior of pairs in a newer lua version?

EDIT: it appears that is indeed the case, although I have no idea why they would do that - when would you ever want pairs to return nil? Anyway, that makes the error much less bizarre - it's just that there is somehow a unit that doesn't have a resistances table.
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on October 3rd, 2021, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

It looks like the behavior changed in Lua 5.3:

$ ./lua-5.2.4/src/lua test.lua
./lua-5.2.4/src/lua: test.lua:2: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

$ ./lua-5.3.6/src/lua test.lua
./lua-5.3.6/src/lua: test.lua:2: bad argument #1 to 'for iterator' (table expected, got nil)
The old error message was clearer :?
secretspacepolice

Post by secretspacepolice »

if it would help, I realize I lost the save, but I can use n to fastforward to the same level again to see if the same issue happens, and give you the save

edit:actually it's happened here on the previous level, I'm including the save

(yeah I cheated a bit, mounted units were great other than the fact that they lagged my game to unplayablity, so I used commands...)
Attachments
IftU-Ashes of Wesmere Turn 1real.gz
(4.76 MiB) Downloaded 105 times
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Post by Jarom »

I was playing around with EoHS today (Wesnoth 1.16.0 EoHS 2.4.0.4), but it's full of bugs rn. Setting aside lots of lua errors appearing quite often, I found the following issues:
1. Apprentices' ellipses bug out when you turn them into leaders, displaying "image not found", blinking and becoming unfixable by console afaik.
2. Number of apprentices follows some internal logic that is error-prone in reaction with other add-ons and stuff. Notably, if your apprentice changes sides, your slot will still be occupied.
3. When I put her on a gryphon and summoned a portal, 2lvl Elvish Lady apprentice achieved some unachievable state and bugged out completely, she's now not showing on the map and unable to move or attack. She's able to cast spells through menu and unmount, but double-click doesn't work. Screenshot:
Zrzut ekranu (1132).png
4. Several attack spells can only target allies. This includes energy blast.
5. Dragons have no mana limit. Mine currently accumulated 415 mana.
6. Entire faction recruit list gets removed, so any secondary leaders are unable to recruit anything.

I was playing with XP Mod, Wesnoth Terraforming, Kingdom Builder Mod and GUI debug tools on my custom era, and I'm pretty sure only the first one has any potential to interfere with your mod's code (though Kingdom Builder is the reason why ellipses and recruitment issues came out). I'm not attaching save because due to custom era you'd be unable to open it anyway IIRC.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Oh EoHS is on 1.16 as well! Nice! I will try to get some games out for this too. Thanks for porting this, one of my favorite mods and one of the pinacles of Wesnoth coding.
Deathdealer5555

Post by Deathdealer5555 »

So i've got a Question that sounds really bad without the full context, but how do you change your wizard's skin color? i was trying to make mine look like a Villain from a D&D campaign i was assisting with, and i was able to change everything BUT her skin color to match. And it feels a bit weird to Represent a Frail Elvish bookworm who literally hasn't seen the sun for so long her Skin has gone paper-white as a Black Woman. ((Wouldn't be an issue if i wasn't trying to make that SPECIFIC character but it is what it is you know?))

Aside from that though, Great mod, i love it so much.

Edit: it is worth noting that every match i get this Error at the very start: [race] " is missing a plural_name field. (8)

and also I get the exact same skin color every time? i thought it was supposed to be Random?
Uncle_Sam

Post by Uncle_Sam »

Deathdealer5555 wrote: April 11th, 2022, 9:14 am So i've got a Question that sounds really bad without the full context, but how do you change your wizard's skin color?
You can't because that'd be racist, regards Elvish Pillager.
https://www.elidupree.com/blog/how-to-m ... ess-racist
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Curious how undead can be dehydrated since he need no water. It's one of things that I think should be changed in EoHS
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

holypaladin wrote: August 30th, 2023, 7:43 pm Curious how undead can be dehydrated since he need no water. It's one of things that I think should be changed in EoHS
Zombies could be since they have flesh which means water. But the rest (esp. the ghosts) should be immune.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I tried it too and they can be dehydrated as well
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"