Forgotten Kingdom

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CountPenguin

Re: Forgotten Kingdom

Post by CountPenguin »

Good to see that you're back at it! I love the campaign, but was disappointed when it just ended
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Ok, the next version (0.1.2) is uploaded with all the aforementioned changes. Enjoy :)

In the meantime i'm going to begin work on scenario 11. Still, feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm sure there is plenty that could use improving, I just need people to point me in the right direction. :wink:
Merthyc

Post by Merthyc »

Hello there,

Before anything, let me extend my thanks to you for a most interesting and enjoyable campaign experience, trolls have always been fun and deservant of a storyline where they play a major part (other then son of black eye, that is). In my continuant search for good campaigns i'd place 'Forgotten Kingdom' pretty high, the story is good and the scenarios nicely orchestrated.

Over my playing experience with the maps I can't say I ran into anything I coulden't overcome, a steady hoard of gold and a nice income ensured victory and a good batch of soldiers to recall, yet you need your veterans in a few tough spots and I would not call things to easy.

I'd like to end my message here with another resounding 'thanks for the campaign', I truly hope to continue on The Road for Revenge.

Keep up the good work!
When in doubt, mumble. -James H. Boren
Bjartmarr

Post by Bjartmarr »

Thanks for the campaign!

A bug report:
In scenario 2, there is a "Leutenant" unit that is created. It should be a "Lieutenant"; this error causes the game to quit in mid-scenario.

Edit: Also, the file raid-captain.PNG should be named raid-captain.png. Same with wrecker.PNG.

Edit again:
In units/Pack_Leader.cfg, it says
image="unit_types/goblins/raid-captain.png"
and no icon is displayed for my pack leader. I think this should be "units/goblins/raid-captain.png" instead.
Interestingly, units/Troll_Pelter.cfg also uses the unit_types directory for the image, but it looks fine in the game. Not sure why.
Ditto for Wolf_Lord.cfg -- I haven't gotten that far, though, so I can't tell you how it looks in the game.

In scenario 8 (Escape), the game crashes when I use Gashnu's last point of movement to get his wolf:

wesnoth: actions.cpp:2590: void apply_shroud_changes(undo_list&, game_display*, const gamemap&, unit_map&, std::vector<team, std::allocator<team> >&, int): Assertion `unit_itor != units.end()' failed.
Aborted

However, if I pick up the wolf using his first point of movement, it works fine.

Also, I tried #8 twice (on medium difficulty): the first time, I ran out of time shortly after Mirol appeared. The second time, I edited the number of turns and finished on turn 29. Finishing in 22 would be very, very difficult. I think you might want to consider adding more turns...unless I'm missing something.

I know you're not actively working on this at the moment, but I'm going to keep posting bug reports for whenever you do start working on it again. Thanks again for the campaign.

Third edit: After beating Scenarion 9 (Friend or Foe), it starts scenario 9 over again. I checked the WML and I couldn't figure out why...

By the way, this is all with Wesnoth 1.6.5 on a Fedora Linux system.
Last edited by Bjartmarr on March 28th, 2010, 12:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Merthyc: I'm glad you like it, but I'm sorry to admit that I haven't made any significant progress in a number of months. I do hope to get back to work eventually, but I'm a bit lazy :oops: .

Bjartmarr: thanks for the tips. These are easy fixes, so i'll get them done very soon.
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

G'day,

it looks as though real life may have overtaken you. Just in case you are still there, I have just played and enjoyed the campaign so far, thanks.

A couple of suggestions:
* the PNG/png is still not fixed, so some units don't show for me
* I somehow ended up with Horn in my recall list, which I recalled --- this was a mistake as if either one dies I lose
* the new Escape was impossible for me at normal mode (but it could just mean I am not very good)
* I made these changes
* setting the starting experience of the orcs in the jail with me to high (next level -8) , so I have some higher level support
The experienced orcs are the ones who got captured, rather than slaughtered :)
* reducing the Elf marshal's gold (to 200)
this made it just doable, but still took me several tries (if you get bad luck in the first move, you are toast)

Thanks again for creating such a great campaign.

Francis

P.S. If LimaBean is too busy, is there any way to do a non-maintainer upload just to fix the PNG/png things and maybe change Escape (make it longer or make my suggested changes).
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Wow, this is actually a really amazing coincidence. Earlier today, I got a private message from someone named Adamant14, telling me he liked Forgotten Kingdom so much that he took the time to update and make it compatible with Wesnoth v1.10.

I was about to reply, but then I decided to check out the campaign forum, and saw your message Francis. It's been about two years since I abandoned FK, and now all of a sudden I get contacted by two different people at almost the exact same time! Awesome 8)

I appreciate the time you spent working. Here's what I remember of where I left off in development:

-I thought I had fixed the PNG/png issue in the last version I uploaded. I guess not, thanks for that :)
-The recalling bug has been a problem the entire time. It is caused by my attempt to have multiple leaders/storylines going at the same time. The game kept mixing up the recall lists, and I didn't know enough at the time to sort them out effectively.
-As for Escape: If I remember right, rewriting that scenario was literally the last thing I did before I stopped working entirely. I may not have even taken the time to playtest it thoroughly. I'm not surprised the new version was unbalanced. Sorry for the frustration and wasted time that probably caused. And it sounds like you made some good changes, so thanks again for that.

I'm currently very busy studying for final exams, but after next week I should have a bit more time. Adamant14 is sending me his updated copy, and I can make the changes you suggest before uploading it.

Alternatively, you can send me copies of your files, and i'll just upload those. Are you using BfW v1.10?

A final option would be for me to send you the .pbl file, which would allow you to upload it (and update it whenever you want). I don't think I will be able to continue with campaign development after this update, but if you are interested you can become the new author. I would be willing to help out a bit, if you need it. Obviously, I understand if you are too busy :wink: .

Lima
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

Hi,

Your campaign is obviously inspirational :D. I append my suggested changes, which I also sent Adamant14, so he may have fixed them already. Thanks for the kind offer to let me take over extending the campaign. I actually play with my son :geek:, and we were thinking of trying to write our own campaign, in which case extending Forgotten Kingdom would be awesome, but in the near future I doubt we will have enough time. If/when we do, may I contact you again?

BTW, I was using 1.6 but have just upgraded to 1.10.

Francis
Limabean wrote:Wow, this is actually a really amazing coincidence. Earlier today, I got a private message from someone named Adamant14, telling me he liked Forgotten Kingdom so much that he took the time to update and make it compatible with Wesnoth v1.10.

I was about to reply, but then I decided to check out the campaign forum, and saw your message Francis. It's been about two years since I abandoned FK, and now all of a sudden I get contacted by two different people at almost the exact same time! Awesome 8)

I appreciate the time you spent working. Here's what I remember of where I left off in development:

-I thought I had fixed the PNG/png issue in the last version I uploaded. I guess not, thanks for that :)
-The recalling bug has been a problem the entire time. It is caused by my attempt to have multiple leaders/storylines going at the same time. The game kept mixing up the recall lists, and I didn't know enough at the time to sort them out effectively.
-As for Escape: If I remember right, rewriting that scenario was literally the last thing I did before I stopped working entirely. I may not have even taken the time to playtest it thoroughly. I'm not surprised the new version was unbalanced. Sorry for the frustration and wasted time that probably caused. And it sounds like you made some good changes, so thanks again for that.

I'm currently very busy studying for final exams, but after next week I should have a bit more time. Adamant14 is sending me his updated copy, and I can make the changes you suggest before uploading it.

Alternatively, you can send me copies of your files, and i'll just upload those. Are you using BfW v1.10?

A final option would be for me to send you the .pbl file, which would allow you to upload it (and update it whenever you want). I don't think I will be able to continue with campaign development after this update, but if you are interested you can become the new author. I would be willing to help out a bit, if you need it. Obviously, I understand if you are too busy :wink: .

Lima
P.S. The changes I suggest are:

images/units/troll/wrecker.PNG -> mages/units/troll/wrecker.png
images/units/goblins/raid-captain.PNG -> images/units/goblins/raid-captain.png

I think there was one more PNG -> png but I can't remember what it was.

In scenarios/08_Escape.cfg I added the lines starting with "experience":

Code: Select all

[unit]
    type=Orcish Grunt
    id=Prang
    name=Prang
    x,y=11,1
    side=1
    experience=20
[/unit]

[unit]
    type=Orcish Archer
    x,y=10,3
    side=1
    experience=16
[/unit]

[unit]
    type=Orcish Assassin
    x,y=7,2
    side=1
    experience=20
[/unit]

[unit]
    type=Thug
    id=Jeord
    name=Jeord
    x,y=8,1
    side=1
    experience=24
    [modifications]
        [trait]
            id=loyal
            male_name= _ "loyal"
            female_name= _ "female^loyal"
            id= _ "Zero upkeep"
            [effect]
                apply_to=loyal
            [/effect]
        [/trait]
        [trait]
            id=strong
            male_name= _ "strong"
            female_name= _ "female^strong"
            [effect]
                apply_to=attack
                range=melee
                increase_damage=1
            [/effect]
            [effect]
                apply_to=hitpoints
                increase_total=1
            [/effect]
        [/trait]
    [/modifications]
[/unit]
Finally, I reduced the gold as follows:

[side]
    type=Elvish High Lord
    id=Lord Mirol
    name= _ "Lord Mirol"
    unrenamable=yes
    fog=yes
    team_name=Elves
    moves=0
    side=2
    income=5
    village_gold=5
    canrecruit=yes
    recruit=Elvish Hero, Elvish Captain, Elvish Ranger, Elvish Druid, Elder Wose, Elvish Rider
#ifdef EASY
    gold=150
    fog=yes
#endif

#ifdef NORMAL
    gold=200
    fog=yes
#endif

#ifdef HARD
    gold=250
    fog=yes
#endif

enemy=1
[/side]
In 02_The_Ambush.cfg, Bjartmarr pointed out that Leutenant should be Lieutenant:

[unit]
    type=Lieutenant
    x,y=26,2
    side=4
    random_traits=yes
[/unit]
Also:
in units/Pack_Leader.cfg, it says

and no icon is displayed for my pack leader. I think this should be "units/goblins/raid-captain.png" instead.
Interestingly, units/Troll_Pelter.cfg also uses the unit_types directory for the image, but it looks fine in the game. Not sure why.
Ditto for Wolf_Lord.cfg -- I haven't gotten that far, though, so I can't tell you how it looks in the game.
Last edited by Elvish_Hunter on May 14th, 2012, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added BBCode [ code ] tags
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

With the unit thing, did you change the Units text domain too #textdomain wesnoth-Forgotten_kingdom?
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

fcbond: when posting blocks of code, please enclose them in a [ code ] tag, and use the correct indentation, if possible, as this makes the message easier to read. I edited your post accordingly.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

fcbond wrote: P.S. The changes I suggest are:

images/units/troll/wrecker.PNG -> mages/units/troll/wrecker.png
images/units/goblins/raid-captain.PNG -> images/units/goblins/raid-captain.png

I think there was one more PNG -> png but I can't remember what it was.
All already fixed.
fcbond wrote: In scenarios/08_Escape.cfg I added the lines starting with "experience":

[unit]
    type=Orcish Grunt
    id=Prang
    name=Prang
    x,y=11,1
    side=1
    experience=20
[/unit]

[unit]
    type=Orcish Archer
    x,y=10,3
    side=1
    experience=16
[/unit]

[unit]
    type=Orcish Assassin
    x,y=7,2
    side=1
    experience=20
[/unit]

[unit]
    type=Thug
    id=Jeord
    name=Jeord
    x,y=8,1
    side=1
    experience=24
    [modifications]
        [trait]
            id=loyal
            male_name= _ "loyal"
            female_name= _ "female^loyal"
            id= _ "Zero upkeep"
            [effect]
                apply_to=loyal
            [/effect]
        [/trait]
        [trait]
            id=strong
            male_name= _ "strong"
            female_name= _ "female^strong"
            [effect]
                apply_to=attack
                range=melee
                increase_damage=1
            [/effect]
            [effect]
                apply_to=hitpoints
                increase_total=1
            [/effect]
        [/trait]
    [/modifications]
[/unit]
I'm still not sure if this is needful.
fcbond wrote: Finally, I reduced the gold as follows:

[side]
    type=Elvish High Lord
    id=Lord Mirol
    name= _ "Lord Mirol"
    unrenamable=yes
    fog=yes
    team_name=Elves
    moves=0
    side=2
    income=5
    village_gold=5
    canrecruit=yes
    recruit=Elvish Hero, Elvish Captain, Elvish Ranger, Elvish Druid, Elder Wose, Elvish Rider
#ifdef EASY
    gold=150
    fog=yes
#endif

#ifdef NORMAL
    gold=200
    fog=yes
#endif

#ifdef HARD
    gold=250
    fog=yes
#endif

enemy=1
[/side]
Changed, and the turn-limit also.
fcbond wrote: In 02_The_Ambush.cfg, Bjartmarr pointed out that Leutenant should be Lieutenant:

[unit]
    type=Lieutenant
    x,y=26,2
    side=4
    random_traits=yes
[/unit]
Already fixed
fcbond wrote:Also:
in units/Pack_Leader.cfg, it says

Already fixed
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Thanks to the fine work of Adamant14, I would like to announce that a new and improved version of Forgotten Kingdom has been uploaded to the 1.10 add-on server.
Enjoy! :D
Thanks for the kind offer to let me take over extending the campaign. I actually play with my son , and we were thinking of trying to write our own campaign, in which case extending Forgotten Kingdom would be awesome, but in the near future I doubt we will have enough time. If/when we do, may I contact you again?
Absolutely. Don't hesitate to send me a pm anytime.

Edit: Just uploaded a slight bugfix for scenario 3.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

This is a wonderful campaign! I was disapointed when it told me "This campaign isn't done yet."
The story kept me going the entire way through, and how the Goblins aren't minderless idiots, a long with the orcs and trolls, there smart. This is basically an oposite of the original story line of HTTT, in my opinion. It's trolls saving their lands from the human trident. All scenarios kept me going through the campaign, all fun, all Strategy was required for each. Maps are greatly detailed and very interesting. But I would recommend, I've told adamant some of this, Is that Horn would be Hero, along with the Advisor Troll. Also when you beat your enemys, they have last breath messages. Besides those two littles things, this campaign is awesome. ^^
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Announcing a new update. A number of significant changes, bugfixes, and polishing changes. Lots of credit to Adamant14 for all the help he gave me in the last couple of weeks.

Here's a changelog

-Replaced troll bladesman with a different unit, the 'troll mountain' a good defensive unit with better resistances but no ability to attack (can only retaliate to melee attacks.)
-Added another attack with the 'knockback' special to the troll elder.
-Added Wolves to Gashnu's recruit options. Weak by themselves, but stronger in packs and with a bunch of interesting AMLA options.
-added animations when Sir Merrick runs away in scenarios 1 and 2
-increased the difficulty of scenario 2 by making enemy reinforcements arrive much sooner.
-Marked Horn, Megron, and Jeord as heroes
-added an icon marking whichever unit picks up the amulet in scenario 7.
-highlighted the signpost in scenario 1
- added terrain avoidance to scenario 4 orcs, so they don't move into the water
- fixed the runner/explorer movement types so they can in fact jump over chasms.
-Replaced the old scenario 8 and its map with a modified and much more polished version by Adamant14
-Added a resized portrait of Gashnu

Enjoy! :D

Lima
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Downloaded yesterday and quite liked the first couple of levels (all that I have played so far).