The War of the Dragon

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Re: The War of the Dragon

Post by taptap »

I played a few scenarios into this campaign, indulging in the glory of playing windsong.

I don't know whether this campaign will be further updated, maintained, balanced, just leaving it here. (Played medium.)

The Way Under: Unlike previous commenters I found it very possible, I started with good gold from Broken Bridge (588) enough to recall all my surviving windsong, a crystal and recruit ten shards in addition to that. I defended in my keep for the 70% defense during the whole battle and patiently expanded my perimeter up the side, immortal shards (1 xp from level up) are great to defend side entrances against non cuttlefish. I initially thought I can end the scenario on the wooden bridge on top of the map past the hydra, I did not read properly, but updating the objectives more in detail would help, maybe mark the movement target on the map (I ended killing all enemy leaders in mid-70s, lost a farstrider to the Naga leader, who was the last.) Hydra can be baited with a shard, when you have good scouting (I love emissaries) in place to spot her.

I got a weird WML error reg. nailer unit, whenever nailers moved.

Lisuandra's Last Stand: 16 turns in central position, did not want to suicide anyone from my recall list, should suffice if I move fast in the next one.

Fleeing the Dragon: "Circle" dialogue presupposes Will, in first attempt I ended up walking straight through the center and only had Will triggered by a necrophage, when I was already between wolves and undead on the other side of the river, yet I had seen the circle dialogue earlier and it did not make much sense without him.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I really don't have time to work on bringing this campaign back and finishing it and won't have time in the foreseeable future. Even if I do find myself time to make Wesnoth campaigns, I would like to finish the other EoFM campaign that I devised years ago and haven't ever had time to do more than make the maps for (which honestly would take less time than completing this campaign).

It does have a place in my heart though, I feel that The Way Under is still one of the best scenarios I ever designed.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Velensk wrote:I really don't have time to work on bringing this campaign back and finishing it and won't have time in the foreseeable future. Even if I do find myself time to make Wesnoth campaigns, I would like to finish the other EoFM campaign that I devised years ago and haven't ever had time to do more than make the maps for (which honestly would take less time than completing this campaign).

It does have a place in my heart though, I feel that The Way Under is still one of the best scenarios I ever designed.
I just want to let you know that i really loved this campaign. I had played with windsong before in ASoF and was overjoyed to find another campaign featuring them. Your campaign had real tactical challenges which i truly loved. The Way Under is one of my all time favourite scenarios. The battle with the unseen was also one of the most memorable fights ever. Even if its unfinished and abandoned, i would like to thank you for the long hours you spent on this..

Your EoFM campaigns are also pretty amazing gameplay wise. I finished salt wars and swamp witch curse but panther lord was too tough for me. :whistle:
Let's see if i can work up the courage to give it another shot...
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
taptap

Post by taptap »

Well, I just leave it here ...

Fleeing the Dragon: *** Really had the escaping tension, in multiple attempts I settled on a strategy. (I had 16 turns.) I recruited one turn a messenger and 5 flyers, moved through the forest and collected Will, then destroyed the severely distracted undead leader with help by Will, who teleported back next, recruited some more, fought the devlings, crossed the river with little warg opposition and finished turn 30.

Battle with the Unseen: I added a replay that looked fairly winnable, but Hector just suicides. I honestly do not know how to protect him. Protecting allies is horrid in best of times, but an active cavalry leader vs. invisible enemies.

Later: Removed the replay. Moving right in force and holding the line from village at 34,25 to the sw while skirmishing on the left side works fine, comparatively easy even. The trick is not to assume your allies manage anything on their own. Thanks Gnombat.
Last edited by taptap on August 21st, 2016, 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

taptap wrote:Battle with the Unseen: I added a replay that looked fairly winnable, but Hector just suicides. I honestly do not know how to protect him. Protecting allies is horrid in best of times, but an active cavalry leader vs. invisible enemies.
Here's a victory (admittedly lucky in a few places).
Attachments
Battle_with_the_Unseen_replay.gz
Victory in 25 turns (medium difficulty)
(98.69 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Taking to Sea: I played out 30 turns in good shape. Strategy was: let the ally keep a significant amount of villages, he gets more income from them than I would, and let him keep recruiting, but this was pretty hard to implement, because allies are fickle. In several attempts he would either suicide vs. elementals in the harbour area, or just waste a move or two attacking units: at full income (80+) this means he not only misses recruitment for a turn, he can then not use up the money fast enough and keeps aggregating it. In the playthrough I added we curiously ended switching keeps, which gave him a much better albeit smaller space to recruit from steadily. Finished turn 30, not without sad losses (a stone elemental and the water elemental). (as previously medium difficulty)

Tried recently to continue in the campaign but the game can't open the start of scenario save from pirates anymore, due to a problem with WATERHOME ability first or not finding the scenario wotd_tenth ever since. I am not aware of any changes (in game or campaign, i play in 1.12.6) since I played last in September. I hope it isn't some other campaign or era interfering. I have tried Pirates scenario before and it worked (I failed just within the game). Even so, it was enjoyable to play this campaign. The joy of hovercraft landing and teleporting special forces will be sorely missed.
Attachments
Taking_to_Sea_replay.gz
(180.6 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Last edited by taptap on January 25th, 2017, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magicsowon

Post by magicsowon »

This was one of my favorite campaigns. The others are Bad Moon Rising (still maintained), Invasion of the Unknown, and A New Order. Unfortunately, I'm not skilled in the ways of Wesnoth to take over this campaign. Is there anyone who could do this?
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

I fixed different things up to scenario 8. Farther I didn't play yet, and having no time right now anymore.

It's not on the Add-on server, it's unknown who uploaded it originally to 1.12. For the time being, you can download it from here:
https://github.com/sevu/WotD (call the folder War_of_the Dragon, lower/upper case may matter)

Magicsowon, It's not really hard to do that. It's learning by doing.
If you're interested in it, the ReferenceWML has very good documentation.
It's everytime good if more people work on something.

Taptap, your problems should be gone with the GitHub version.
And I will try your tactic once I try the scenario with Hector again, I lost that level recently.
About Scenario 7, I just went straightforward to the south, only fighting when somebody was in my way. But played on easy and had only 9 rounds.
Try out the dark board theme.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Shiki wrote:I fixed different things up to scenario 8. Farther I didn't play yet, and having no time right now anymore.
So I'm through now with the playable scenarios from the addon-server version. They went smoothly until the second last scenario which - as I'm guessing - used some [variable] tags that are not supported any more. Here is a fixed version (though I only changed these tags):
13_Rescue.cfg
(12.29 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
In the last scenario there is only one thing to fix: the event at line 188 fires too early, my guess would be it fires when the vamps get sighted by an enemy, because there is no side condition to the event.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Thanks for fixing, I'm still at Scenario 8.
Did you encounter other things for changing, such as spelling?
I will prepare a new version in the next time for smaller fixes.
Try out the dark board theme.
hs1

Post by hs1 »

At the risk of sounding dense - how do I achieve the following in "Temple of the Deep", scenario 11:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Thanks!
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Playing on easy, 1.14.5. So far, relatively consistent, though harder than Kromire.

Help for librarian has blank section.

When you recruit (not recall) a sky shard the help doesn't pop up when you mouse over incorporeal.

S1: Has be > Has been
S2: much more human lands > many more human lands, or much more human land. This one seems tight on turns (I didn't feel the primary objective was going to happen without fulfilling the optional)
S3: Hawken can die before you have a chance to get to him. That kinda sucks. If you do get to him or he stays alive, it's easy to win really early.
S5: Surly > Surely
S9: dragons invisibility > dragon's
S10: 10 gold per village??? The orange dude is recruiting a full keep every turn.
S11: Annoying.
S12: Intro should say chapter XII. At the end there are two dragons that should be dragon's. Easiest scenario in campaign so far, by a lot.
S14: Defeat objectives are incomplete.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.