Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Post by mattsc »

mattsc wrote: April 17th, 2022, 1:45 pm
Computer_Player wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:05 pm Edit2: I tested turning off the GE AI and it was confirmed by Z_Z that there were no bugs from his side now.
Thanks for confirming this. So at least we have a working solution for the time being, while I figure out how to fix this.
I looked into this and while I can fix the error messages you encountered if the other players don't have the AI, there is a more fundamental problem. In order for the AI to be able to use special GE actions such as beaming or upgrading, all players need to have the AI add-on installed otherwise there will be OOS errors. So the next version will require all players to have the AI add-on installed when it is used, there is really no way around that.

Of course, this only applies if you are actually using the AI. If you are doing a pvp game without an AI side (other than the aliens), just uncheck the modification before creating the game and anybody can join.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Thanks mattsc! So if you want to play GE AI in multiplayer, you need all human players to have the mod checked.

I forgot to add regarding the last replay: it solidified my opinion that Blockade needs nerfing, as it is it is quite a powerful game changer and invalidates much of the reason to do invasions or even planet destruction. 30% reduction per ship blockading is I think more reasonable, or even 20%, and perhaps only allow fighting ships to be able to blockade (not transports or probes). If we are to however retain the 100% block, may I suggest providing a planet upgrade that allows for offensive action (maybe change missile / lasers to allow offense as well)?
Last edited by Computer_Player on April 19th, 2022, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

At the risk of double posting, here is another replay on Ion Quadrant now. Am posting also to report the bug of the surrender option not appearing in the menu drop down. Or is that intentional?
2p - GE Ion Nova replay 20220421-212602.gz
(69.59 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Its nice to have these smaller maps. More testing needs to be done to see if there is a P1 advantage.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I agree.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

2p - GE Ion Nova replay 20220424-015421.gz
(94.6 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

New game from Ion Quadrant, 30 turn, Terran vs Dwartha. With this I think slingshot should be nerfed and provide -1 mv (similar to old cloak). On certain maps it allows instantaneous and total map control, allowing you to "warp" entire fleets from one end of the map to the other. I think -1 mv is reasonable since it allows for almost infinite move around a planet, especially since you can slingshot around a single planet multiple times. Many maneuevers possible are shown in this replay -> quick invasion, quick reinforcement, super flanking from just 1 open hex, warping an entire fleet from one end to another, etc.
With this I might have to retract my suggestion of giving Dwartha a Worldship (perhaps balance this with a big cost. 100+G for a lvl 4 unit?)

I also would suggest returning probe to Terrans - they already were the weakest in terms of space fights, and having probe in more than the robot faction
makes it not just a robot specialty.

I also encountered a weird error, that showed up.. not sure why but it was intermittent. I think it showed up when my planet was full and I tried to change production.

GG.

Of note: I might have had a better chance if I sat on my economy a bit more before pressing an engagement.
Attachments
Error 2.png
Error 1.png
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Computer_Player wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 6:02 pm I also encountered a weird error, that showed up.. not sure why but it was intermittent. I think it showed up when my planet was full and I tried to change production.
Yeah ... Thanks for reporting. We had seen that one occasionally also, but until a few days ago I was never able to reproduce it for trouble shooting. A few days ago I finally figured it out (for me it happened when you have a unit on an enemy planet surface, but no ship in space that can see the planet, and if you then hover over the HQ of that planet). I sent Bob an updated theme file, so this should be fixed in the next release.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

3p - GE Zeta Quadrant FFA replay 20220424-071020.gz
(95.05 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
A FFA vs the AI. This is my second run in this map since the first time, the 2 AIs decide to pressure me at once so I was gamed. This second time I used strategics more. I also noticed that if I sniped the homeworld of the enemy, they could claim it back...which was new.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Oh wait really? so if they claim it back.. do they live again? I thought HQ was the winning factor. How does that work exactly?
2p - GE Eta Quadrant replay 20220424-111146.gz
(54.41 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Got absolutely bodied by a War Wasp sa Terran. My level 2 couldn't compete with such beefy electrical menace. More data on getting back to the previous method of flagship (or how anti-matter / special ability ships should be restricted?)

To be fair, I did a misplay early on, sacrificing my scout for no gain. After that it was downhill from there.

GG.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

so if they claim it back.. do they live again? I thought HQ was the winning factor. How does that work exactly?
In 1v1 (2p), claiming the enemy homeworld or its destruction is immediate victory.

This was 1v1v1, I took out blue's Homeworld with a squad of marines but found it curious to see what 2 worker drones would do now that they had lost it all. they took the HQ unit and got their homeworld back and the planet started spawning transports and fighters again XD
Destroyed their homeworld for good measure.

The new GE AI is actually an enjoyable adversary.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 24th, 2022, 4:41 am The new GE AI is actually an enjoyable adversary.
That's good to know, thanks. I am (slowly, barely have time for Wesnoth at the moment) going through the replays, but I am really mostly looking for big mistakes. I rely on Bob and other experienced players for comments on the more subtle details. So if there is anything I should pay specific attention to, please let me know.

I'm still working on the transporter recruiting issue. There's an easy and obvious way to fix it (simply stop recruiting transporters if enemy ships are with a certain distance of the AI homeworld), but I am not sure that that is overall the best thing to do. It might have some unintended side effects, esp. on smaller maps.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Quick update: I pushed version 0.1.1 of the AI to the add-ons server. (Note: it's marked as 0.1.1a on the server due to a mistake on my part.) This is a minor update that only takes care of the two issues previously discussed here:

Galactic Empires AI Changelog:

Code: Select all

----- 0.1.1, 1 May 2022 -----

- The add-on is now required for all players
- transport_troops CA: stop recruiting transporters when the homeworld is
  threatened and AI does not have enough combat ships close by
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Oh, that's a cool era! Long games but interesting. I wish to find some games on the multiplayer server
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Vendeeni Mosquite has Image not found

error display: could not open image 'units/Vendeeni/mosquito.png'
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Vendeeni vs Iildari on Eta Quadrant. Encountered a bug wherein units under stasis still blockade a planet, which spelled doom for my opponent since the planet thus blockaded was his HQ. On a separate issue, I think some of the 1 hex fields chokepoints near the Homeworld should be widened to 2 hexes so that they are not too vulnerable to stasis blockade in the early game given early stasis flagships/ leader.
Attachments
2p - GE Eta Quadrant replay 20220504-174820.gz
(55.98 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Iildari vs Vendeeni on Ion Nova, 16 turns. I was focused on gold and got ships quite early, Iildari very fast and stasis is a thing, although Vendeeni's ships, especially Mites, are a real danger and a pain to deal with.
Attachments
2p - GE Ion Nova replay 20220505-005646.gz
(68.23 KiB) Downloaded 45 times