1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jamie

Re: 1.11 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.0

Post by Jamie »

I'll pass the translation info on, thanks, but it sounds like you already have this covered?

On a related matter, I took a first look at the new 1.11 campaign and I noticed that some of the lines had mixed tenses (present and past). This was something I noticed and fixed in a later upload, so if you used my story text from earlier uploads, you might have missed a number of corrections. (I'm sorry I was not clearer about what each upload contained.) I am assuming this is the case, and the mixed tenses are not a deliberate choice on your part. The last full campaign upload should be used for the most polished text in all scenarios. I apologize if this creates extra work for you.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Jamie wrote:I'll pass the translation info on, thanks, but it sounds like you already have this covered?
Yes, but one more translator is always better than one less: if your friend wants to try, I won't forbid him. :)
Jamie wrote:On a related matter, I took a first look at the new 1.11 campaign and I noticed that some of the lines had mixed tenses (present and past).
That's strange. I even used the diff command to compare the differences between the uploads, and I remember using the latest full upload. Anyway, one more check won't hurt - I was planning to add a Lua tag [narrate] to remove a lot of [message] speaker=narrator etc. etc., so I'll do both things in the same passage.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

In 01_Led_Astray, it could be more obvious that I'm allowed to die. You should put it into the objectives that capture=kill.

I'm not sure about whether much parts of the story and dialog are just bad English/wrong grammar or some kind of extraordinary English, are the dialogs and story written by a native speaker ? Anyway, it was pretty tough to understand at times and I'm afraid I missed some parts.

11_The_Day_of_Reckoning is scenario-mechanics wise almost a disaster: Firstly, it is absolutely not obvious that Kyoko needs to be moved into that garden. I would have really been stuck there without reading the code. Secondly, the scenario is way too tedious to play. I would make the map completely new while keeping the basic structure; make the two long tunnels on the left side much shorter and wider, especially the one leading to Ruphulus' lair, and remove one of the Death Knights guarding him. I played on easy, this very long 1-hex tunnel can easily create a bottleneck fight for several 10s of turns if the income of the Death Knights is higher at the harder levels. I mean, if someone ceases playing the campaign, this scenario is a good spot to do so. I also expected there to be an entry from the spot where the poem lay to Ruphulus' lair, tricking me into uselessly moving a lot of units around. You can probably keep almost everything of the scenario cfg, except for adapting coordinates.

15_Quenching_the_Thirst is also good for some save-loads. After killing the ogres I expected to no longer need to fight and Jaques was way away from the castle. The next time I discovered that I don't have to fight the trolls at all so would not have needed all those recruits. The scenario idea is great though.

So far for critics. The story of this is one of the best I've seen. Interesting unit setup, interesting objectives and scenario flow. Elvish_Hunter's handwriting is clearly visible, in a beneficial way.

I didn't quite get the point of 13_Following_Destiny, perhaps this exists because the other branch is so happy-happy ?
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Anonymissimus wrote:I'm not sure about whether much parts of the story and dialog are just bad English/wrong grammar or some kind of extraordinary English, are the dialogs and story written by a native speaker ? Anyway, it was pretty tough to understand at times and I'm afraid I missed some parts.
It'll be really useful if you could point the obscure sentences that you found. This will allow me and Jamie to improve them. Thee shalt beareth in minde that the Skeletonse calleth Fear and Loathing art supposede to speakest in Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe. :P
* cues the frozen fish launched by ESR *
Anonymissimus wrote:11_The_Day_of_Reckoning is scenario-mechanics wise almost a disaster: Firstly, it is absolutely not obvious that Kyoko needs to be moved into that garden. I would have really been stuck there without reading the code.
I was thinking that maybe it can be redone in the following way: Jacques and the others enter a corridor like at the start of The Pursuit scenario in NR. From here, there are one room for each Undead leader, plus one for the garden and one for Ruphulus. The Book says something like "those who go in a straight path shall never find their destination; those who go in a circling path will build a bridge". At this point, one can open the various room one per time, but if someone wants to open two rooms at once I'm not going to stop it. Sounds good?
Anonymissimus wrote:15_Quenching_the_Thirst is also good for some save-loads. After killing the ogres I expected to no longer need to fight and Jaques was way away from the castle. The next time I discovered that I don't have to fight the trolls at all so would not have needed all those recruits. The scenario idea is great though.
Yes, I could have moved the Naga's house near to Jacques' castle, but in this case the player is supposed to search a bit the map for clues, notice this village and think "let's take a look".
Anonymissimus wrote:So far for critics. The story of this is one of the best I've seen. Interesting unit setup, interesting objectives and scenario flow. Elvish_Hunter's handwriting is clearly visible, in a beneficial way.
Wow, thanks. But I didn't do much handwriting work, besides keeping updated Jacques_Fol's excellent work. 8)
Anonymissimus wrote:I didn't quite get the point of 13_Following_Destiny, perhaps this exists because the other branch is so happy-happy ?
Probably yes. At a certain point I thought of removing it, or even of merging it into the main branch as an unusually clear vision generated by the Book when Jacques insists too much about going back home - like if the Book cares about Jacques and wants to avoid a certain disaster. I wonder if Jacques_Fol will be OK with this...
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SystemCellar

Post by SystemCellar »

*clears throat* ... Why do I feel so formal about posting my first post in these fora?
Back to the subject at hand.

I haven't gone through too far of this story - I'm currently struggling with The Long Night of Shadows on Easy difficulty *sob* - but I absolutely love this campaign. As a story nut, I haven't found much apart from the names and a few parts of the dialogue to complain about without feeling the need to use spoiler tags (an orc called Carl? Seriously?), which brings me to what I wanted to say.

Although I haven't become part of the Swedish translation team, I thought that this campaign would be a good way to begin my work once I join it (and have done about 26% so far according to the files). As I said before, the names of some characters tick me off. I'm not a big fan of changing the names in translation, though, unless it's absolutely necessary... Which it is in the case of Lord Protector. That is beyond Meaningful name-territory and is charging ahead into the last-name variant of "Who calls their kid dude?".

I've never been one to complain about things that require creativity without giving some tips on how to improve it, so here's my suggestion: change his name to "Lord Lipicus". You might wonder why I suggest that name in particular... Well, to start with, I noticed that he never would attack me, only retaliating if I struck him first. That seemed to be a strategy fitting for a character who has his dub name inspired by a Stoic (although I may have remembered his name wrong). To make things better, Stoics are known for accepting their fate, no matter how terrible (or at least aspiring to do so), and what fate would be more terrible than what happens to every lich, feeling all your flesh rot away, and then getting hacked into pieces while trying to do your duty? Not to mention that all this "fate" business reminds me of a particular plot-relevant book... Besides, if this was to be in the English version, it would serve as an alliteration.

In a much less "digging-too-deep-into-things" fashion, I'm also wondering what on Earth is going on when the Griphons Lord holds his death speech. As far as I know, Griphons shouldn't be able to speak Humanoid language... So I added plenty of "Skriii"s and "Kraaa"s and added a translation in brackets after it.

Well then, I'm off to play the rest of the campaign and complain about/praise parts of the plot in a later post!

By the way, who decided to make Jacques look the way he does? He looks really similar to this guy in my eyes:
(I feel kinda ashamed for noticing the resemblance)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SystemCellar wrote:I'm not a big fan of changing the names in translation, though, unless it's absolutely necessary... Which it is in the case of Lord Protector. That is beyond Meaningful name-territory and is charging ahead into the last-name variant of "Who calls their kid dude?".
In that case, the name should be translated. However, given that Liches usually don't have one, instead of thinking of it as a name, think of it as a title, or a role. :wink:
SystemCellar wrote:In a much less "digging-too-deep-into-things" fashion, I'm also wondering what on Earth is going on when the Griphons Lord holds his death speech. As far as I know, Griphons shouldn't be able to speak Humanoid language... So I added plenty of "Skriii"s and "Kraaa"s and added a translation in brackets after it.
Did you play the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire? If yes, Krawg is a Gryphon that can speak the usual common language - but there's a catch:

Code: Select all

#po: Krawg's speech is purposely very distorted -- he has the
            #po: vocal tract of a bird and is speaking through a beak.
I agree that the Gryphon's speech should be altered in a Krawg-like fashion. So, instead of adding noises to your translation, try to make a new English message for the Gryphon's Lord, and I'll add it to the campaign. 8)
SystemCellar wrote:By the way, who decided to make Jacques look the way he does?
It was the artist that drew the portraits; it was bera, if my memory serves me well.
SystemCellar

Post by SystemCellar »

In that case, the name should be translated. However, given that Liches usually don't have one, instead of thinking of it as a name, think of it as a title, or a role. :wink:
I'll probably go with "Väktare Lipicus" "Protector/Guard Lipicus"... He can't really be a good lord if he just stands around while I kill him. :lol2:
Did you play the mainline campaign Sceptre of Fire? If yes, Krawg is a Gryphon that can speak the usual common language - but there's a catch:

Krawg's speech is purposely very distorted -- he has the vocal tract of a bird and is speaking through a beak.

I agree that the Gryphon's speech should be altered in a Krawg-like fashion. So, instead of adding noises to your translation, try to make a new English message for the Gryphon's Lord, and I'll add it to the campaign. 8)
How could I forget Krawg? He's pure comedy gold! I think I killed my inner Grammar Police with the transition into English (Simplified) Krawg, but here you go:
Kaas yoo, litle skam!! Fe ol hagg was raitt, yoo moa kalenging fan yoo lokk! Butt [sic - I hope I can get away with it when the campaign is a bit light-hearted] myy fends oo famly'll auenge mee! (Curse you, you little scum! The old hag was right, you [are] more challenging than you look! But my friends and family will avenge me!)
And just for fun, I'll post the Swedish version as well. (The reason I bother is that a friend of mine read "Månen suger", "The moon sucks", as "Manly Sugar", and wanted to give you similar opportunities.)
Föbaande småfol! Kääinnen had räät: nii see svaka uu, männ ää staakae än nii see utt! Männ väner o famill skwaa hämmas! (Förbannade småfolk! Kärringen hade rätt: ni ser svaha ut, men är starkare än ni ser ut. Men [mina] vänner och familj ska hämnas!)
Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.11 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.1

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SystemCellar wrote:Kaas yoo, litle skam!! Fe ol hagg was raitt, yoo moa kalenging fan yoo lokk! Butt myy fends oo famly'll auenge mee!
Wonderful, just wonderful! :mrgreen: Normally I don't do this, but you just won one Internet. Here, have a coupon for your prize:
Spoiler:
By the way, this means that I'll insert your phrase in the campaign. You really deserved it. 8)

EDIT: I just uploaded version 1.2.1 on the 1.11 add-ons server. This version includes SystemCellar's suggestion, without any other change.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.11 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.2

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I uploaded a new version - 1.2.2 - on the 1.12 add-ons server. The only changes are that I removed the ellipse= line from the Signalman unit, due to the automatic ellipse assignment, and I deleted an accidentally duplicated rumble.ogg sound. No gameplay modifications.
TreefeedXavier

Re: 1.12 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.2

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Hi! I translate this add-on to russian, and found that: name, abbrev & description not inserted in .po-file, as well as difficulty_descriptions. For last one can I make a proposal: write not just "easy, medium & hard", but change for something like - Rookie(Easy), Prowler(Medium), Thief(Hard). Of couse, it`s all up to mainteiner wishes.

So, can you advise me - what I supose to do with company name & description? Which changes I must make in po-file, to translate it on my language.
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

TreefeedXavier wrote:what I supose to do with company name & description? Which changes I must make in po-file, to translate it on my language.
You aren't supposed to do anything. It's up to me fixing the missing translation marks, then I'll re-upload the campaign, and you'll just have to wait for the fixed .po. Thanks for reporting it, by the way. ;)
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
TreefeedXavier wrote:what I supose to do with company name & description? Which changes I must make in po-file, to translate it on my language.
You aren't supposed to do anything. It's up to me fixing the missing translation marks, then I'll re-upload the campaign, and you'll just have to wait for the fixed .po. Thanks for reporting it, by the way. ;)
Oh, I need to explain (maybe): main.cfg have " _ " mark on that strings. They just not included in po.

[campaign]
    id=A_Rough_Life
    name= _ "A Rough Life"
    abbrev= _ "ARL"
I try add it manualy in po, but failed:

#. [campaign]: id=A_Rough_Life
#: A_Rough_Life/_main.cfg:8
msgid "A Rough Life"
msgstr "Translated String"
A Rough Life not replaced with Translated String.

I just want make this thing quicker & easy for you. If it imposible do on my side - i wait for updated po.
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.12 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.3

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

TreefeedXavier wrote:Oh, I need to explain (maybe): main.cfg have " _ " mark on that strings. They just not included in po.
Yes, after checking it again it was clear that I didn't do any mistake (although at the moment of my answer I couldn't check my code, so I simply assumed that I did one :P ). At this point, it may be as well a bug in wmlxgettext - the script that collects the strings and creates the .po files. I can't do much about it, except re-upload the campaign. Speaking of which...
TreefeedXavier wrote:For last one can I make a proposal: write not just "easy, medium & hard", but change for something like - Rookie(Easy), Prowler(Medium), Thief(Hard). Of couse, it`s all up to mainteiner wishes.
I followed your suggestion, and modified the difficult selection in this way:
ARL difficulties.jpg
ARL difficulties.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
inserting of course the much needed translation marks (yes, in this case they were missing :oops: ).
Because of this modifications, I just uploaded version 1.2.3 of the campaign to the 1.12 server.
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Hi there! I double post my translation on this tread (as well as in russian translation tread). .po-file still not updated (name, abbrev & description not inserted yet), but as soon it be done, I update my translation. Thanks to all.
Attachments
A_Rough_life.zip
(232.59 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
TreefeedXavier wrote:Oh, I need to explain (maybe): main.cfg have " _ " mark on that strings. They just not included in po.
Yes, after checking it again it was clear that I didn't do any mistake (although at the moment of my answer I couldn't check my code, so I simply assumed that I did one :P ). At this point, it may be as well a bug in wmlxgettext - the script that collects the strings and creates the .po files. I can't do much about it, except re-upload the campaign.
Problem with missed strings of main.cfg is soluted with add

#textdomain wesnoth-A_Rough_Life
to top of it. Please do it as soon as posible - i want finish translation of that great campaign. Tnx.