1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.12 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.4

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

TreefeedXavier wrote:Problem with missed strings of main.cfg is soluted with add

Code: Select all

#textdomain wesnoth-A_Rough_Life
to top of it. Please do it as soon as posible - i want finish translation of that great campaign. Tnx.
:doh: How could I have missed such a trivial thing for so much time?!? And yet I did! Image
Anyway, I just uploaded version 1.2.4, which fixes the problem, and many thanks for the solution.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

The smallest things are so easy to miss because they're the last thing you think to check!
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Elvish_Hunter, it be correct to say, that campaign have wordplay "A Rough/Rogue life"? Not only tough but also thieves? I want add this to my translation (using "босяцкая жизнь" - what can translated as slanguage "hard as hard thief life"), if it so.
If my opinion wrong - I use translation only in "tough" meaning.
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Any way, I finish translation & now you must add .po(.mo) to your campaign, as WesCamp seems abandoned.
Attachments
A_Rough_Life.zip
Russian po&mo
(214.27 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

TreefeedXavier wrote:it be correct to say, that campaign have wordplay "A Rough/Rogue life"?
I never though of that, and I must admit that I don't know if that was Jacques_Fol's intention. That said, even if there was such wordplay, it'll become Lost in Translation in most languages, so I'd avoid puns whenever possible.
A good example of this is the "Dis troll bridge. You pay toll..." exchange in The Hammer of Thursagan, that in Italian (and I guess, in most languages but English) doesn't flow at all: the pun between Troll and toll gets lost.
TreefeedXavier wrote:you must add .po(.mo) to your campaign, as WesCamp seems abandoned.
Thanks, I'll do it as soon as I can. ;)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
TreefeedXavier wrote:it be correct to say, that campaign have wordplay "A Rough/Rogue life"?
I never though of that, and I must admit that I don't know if that was Jacques_Fol's intention. That said, even if there was such wordplay, it'll become Lost in Translation in most languages, so I'd avoid puns whenever possible.
Ok, I ask from another side: can I use that meaning of worldplay in only my translation, cause it not Lost in Translation. It can be "not necessary, but possible", as well for another languages too. I think if translation enriches meaning, it can be allowed.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

TreefeedXavier wrote:Ok, I ask from another side: can I use that meaning of worldplay in only my translation, cause it not Lost in Translation. It can be "not necessary, but possible", as well for another languages too. I think if translation enriches meaning, it can be allowed.
If you want, you can. ;) It wasn't in the original English text, but if in Russian it works, then go for it.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: 1.12 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.5

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I uploaded version 1.2.5 of the campaign, in which I added the updated Russian translation. To avoid further translation issues in future, I also decided to remove the version number indication from the _main.cfg.
I know, I could have put it in a constant macro and then use string concatenation, but the version number is visible anyway in the add-on installation dialog...
hkBst

Post by hkBst »

wesnoth 1.12.1 complains about invalid WML for inspire and regenerate... just start the first scenario to see.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

hkBst wrote:wesnoth 1.12.1 complains about invalid WML for inspire and regenerate... just start the first scenario to see.
Thank you for the bug report, I'll look into it ASAP :)
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

In The Day of Reckoning, I have killed the Draug or whatever he was just to the right of the initial entrance.

However, before I could leave his little cul-de-sac, I was swarmed with undead from all of the other enemy heroes.

I'm sitting at the entrance to that area, basically just slugging it out with my level 3's (and a healer behind them),
but I'm at turn 147 now and there is no end in sight.

Do they ever run out of bodies, or am I just screwed?

Should I have NOT gone after the guy to the immediate right first?

Also, there are a bunch of what appear to be WML errors that have to be cleared throughout the campaign.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

hkBst wrote:wesnoth 1.12.1 complains about invalid WML for inspire and regenerate... just start the first scenario to see.
Fixed in version 1.2.6, which I just uploaded.
Woodruff wrote:In The Day of Reckoning, I have killed the Draug or whatever he was just to the right of the initial entrance.

However, before I could leave his little cul-de-sac, I was swarmed with undead from all of the other enemy heroes.

I'm sitting at the entrance to that area, basically just slugging it out with my level 3's (and a healer behind them),

If I remember correctly (I don't have the time to watch the replay, sorry), I was able to get out of the room around turn 100. My strategy, however, was a bit different: in some turns (when the health of my units allowed it, I moved them back a bit, so that I could attack two enemy units each turn with four of my units. Indeed, they should run out of units, but that depends on how many villages they grabbed.
I'm aware that this is the most criticized map of the whole campaign, but I simply have no idea about how it could be redone without damaging the story. Perhaps the enemy leaders may be placed in a series of rooms, so the player can face them one by one? Kind of like the Pursuit scenario in Northern Rebirth (I should really replay that campaign as well...). Does someone have another idea?
Woodruff wrote:Also, there are a bunch of what appear to be WML errors that have to be cleared throughout the campaign.
What errors, exactly? Perhaps this is the same issue reported by hkBst, but until I read the exact error message I can't be sure. Can you please copy the errors from the stderr?
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Woodruff wrote:In The Day of Reckoning, I have killed the Draug or whatever he was just to the right of the initial entrance.

If I remember correctly (I don't have the time to watch the replay, sorry), I was able to get out of the room around turn 100. My strategy, however, was a bit different: in some turns (when the health of my units allowed it, I moved them back a bit, so that I could attack two enemy units each turn with four of my units. Indeed, they should run out of units, but that depends on how many villages they grabbed.
I'm aware that this is the most criticized map of the whole campaign, but I simply have no idea about how it could be redone without damaging the story. Perhaps the enemy leaders may be placed in a series of rooms, so the player can face them one by one? Kind of like the Pursuit scenario in Northern Rebirth (I should really replay that campaign as well...). Does someone have another idea?
Well...no, not really. I don't mind a long map myself (in fact, I actually prefer the long maps). Perhaps have that initial Draug's area have a couple more villages (so that the hero can start making enough gold to start using the process you referred to and still survive)...or maybe have the other enemy leaders have one or two fewer villages to access.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Also, there are a bunch of what appear to be WML errors that have to be cleared throughout the campaign.
What errors, exactly? Perhaps this is the same issue reported by hkBst, but until I read the exact error message I can't be sure. Can you please copy the errors from the stderr?
They may well be the same ones. Let me download the new version and replay it (which will allow me to setup and try your method), and I'll let you know if they're still there (and what they were).
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Woodruff wrote:
Elvish_Hunter wrote: What errors, exactly? Perhaps this is the same issue reported by hkBst, but until I read the exact error message I can't be sure. Can you please copy the errors from the stderr?
They may well be the same ones. Let me download the new version and replay it (which will allow me to setup and try your method), and I'll let you know if they're still there (and what they were).
It appears you've taken care of all of the WML errors I was seeing, so they must have been the same ones. Thanks!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Woodruff wrote:Perhaps have that initial Draug's area have a couple more villages (so that the hero can start making enough gold to start using the process you referred to and still survive)...or maybe have the other enemy leaders have one or two fewer villages to access.
Then again, the Draug will be able to take said villages and use them against the player. Unless I put the villages in a closed chamber that the player must open, maybe with a small gold chest and a signpost, so nobody but the player can use them. Sounds good?