The Era of Strife

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Huston

Re: The Era of Strife

Post by Huston »

Hey i'm not big shot when it comes to wml, and i'll be the first one to admit it, but i successfully made a 12 scenario campaign in just about a month. if you guys developing the era would rather just focus on developing the era instead of focusing on both developing the era and developing your individual campaigns to go along with the era of strife, i'll code (single player) campaigns for you as long as you give me a clear cut story line.
just pm. me if interested.

Regards,
Huston

EDIT: btw i like what you guys are doing faction wise and maybe you could add a Dwarvish swordsman unit?
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

There is actually more work done for this project on umc-dev on sourceforge than is apparent by the forum thread. I would say that they have spent a considerable amount of time discussing it on IRC, and you may have better luck discussing it with them in that medium.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Looks like I managed to forget posting here for the 0.23 release. (I'm pretty sure I typed it out, must have forgotten to hit submit or crashed firefox or something)

Changes:
-Moved all of the units and movetypes into our own namespace (EoS ), so any future naming conflicts will not be our fault.
-Saurian Skulker has had its movement reduced to 5 for consistency with the rest of the line (Voodoo of BEEM noticed this, but it would have been nice if he'd actually notified me, rather than me finding it in a changelog)
-Fixed the unused DISRUPT ability (thanks to Ken Oh)
-Graphical improvements for Saurian healing
-Fixed teamcolour on the dwarvish linebreaker

Era of Strife version 0.23 is available through all the usual channels:
-The add-on server
-The webinterface to the add-on server
-Sourceforge
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i thought that most saurians would have 6 speed, considering they're supposed to be a fast and agile, but fragile race. (the way i see it, anyways)

battle tutor doesn't work (i've tested it out). also, 1xp isn't really that much. how bout 4 xp, so the difference is actually noticable?

i've also found a few balance problems (mainly in saurians and eventide)

saurian lizard riders are a bit too weak. they're certainly not strong enough to recruit except against undead for the impact. why make the damage so low? i know it matches troll damage, but trolls are weaker to make up for regen. try 10-2 tail and 6-3 axe.

the swamp saurian is also a bit underpowered( 6-2 compared to the 6-3 merman or 5-4 swabbie or 4-4 naga) . maybe it's damaged should be raised a little as well?

for the eventide, i like the concept, but they should have an archer without illuminates (they have a swabbie for a non-dilluminates fighter) so that they could actually use ranged on loyalists and drakes. (maybe the auxillary could be a spear thrower instead of a spearman)

also, they're almost defenseless against undead: they have pierce with illuminates, so they could weaken them but not do damage, and impact with deluminates so they can do some damage but strengthen the opponent.

the minotaurs don't have any swimmers or flyers (maybe the mages could levitate so they could have 40% def and 2 movement cost over water?)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

wesfreak wrote:i thought that most saurians would have 6 speed, considering they're supposed to be a fast and agile, but fragile race. (the way i see it, anyways)
True, I'll talk this over with lizard.
wesfreak wrote:battle tutor doesn't work (i've tested it out). also, 1xp isn't really that much. how bout 4 xp, so the difference is actually noticable?
Fixed in svn, will release a new version soon.
wesfreak wrote:i've also found a few balance problems (mainly in saurians and eventide)

saurian lizard riders are a bit too weak. they're certainly not strong enough to recruit except against undead for the impact. why make the damage so low? i know it matches troll damage, but trolls are weaker to make up for regen. try 10-2 tail and 6-3 axe.
They're supposed to be tanks, one of the few units in the faction that can take more than a few hits without dying. You can either have them cheap or you can have them do real damage.
wesfreak wrote:the swamp saurian is also a bit underpowered( 6-2 compared to the 6-3 merman or 5-4 swabbie or 4-4 naga) . maybe it's damaged should be raised a little as well?
Another defender, though his damage output might be a little *too* low.
wesfreak wrote:for the eventide, i like the concept, but they should have an archer without illuminates (they have a swabbie for a non-dilluminates fighter) so that they could actually use ranged on loyalists and drakes. (maybe the auxillary could be a spear thrower instead of a spearman)

also, they're almost defenseless against undead: they have pierce with illuminates, so they could weaken them but not do damage, and impact with deluminates so they can do some damage but strengthen the opponent.
There's a reason thugs aren't in the knalgan faction: they'd be overpowered against undead. Eventide are difficult to play with and even harder to balance, but they're not completely helpless.
wesfreak wrote:the minotaurs don't have any swimmers or flyers (maybe the mages could levitate so they could have 40% def and 2 movement cost over water?)
There was a flyer in the works. (and one of the L2 magi can already fly)
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

the swamp saurian doesn't get any good "defense" until lvl 2, and that's only one of the branches. i would suggest making him stronger and not strengthening him that much on the defender level up.

as for the lizard rider, i'd pick the spearman over the peasant every time. what good is a meat shield if it can't do anything?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

wesfreak wrote:the swamp saurian doesn't get any good "defense" until lvl 2, and that's only one of the branches. i would suggest making him stronger and not strengthening him that much on the defender level up.
I'm working on this atm.
as for the lizard rider, i'd pick the spearman over the peasant every time. what good is a meat shield if it can't do anything?
So what is the point of the Dwarvish Guardsman then?
In a battle, you'll need to provide ZoC cover and plug holes, that's what this guy is for.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

dwarvish guardsman has higher defense and resists. it can survive much longer then this unit can. i was thinking more an anti-undead brute, like the heavy infantryman or wose, mainly because the faction needs the role. Anyways, i thought the skirmishers were used to fill the meat shields role in the drakes faction, mainly because they have high defense in most places. these units don't, and are hit all the time. in most games my lizard riders were killed before other units.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Era of Strife 0.24 is out!

As usual, it can be downloaded from the add-on server, sourceforge and the webinterface.

The changes:
-New recolours for the Eltirean Bishop and Archbishop.
-Sprite update for Saurian Soulmage
-Lizard Rider got a new image and the lizard master inherited the old one.
-Ice Heart got a new image.
Units:
-Ice Heart has 3-4 arcane drains melee (added) and 8-2 cold freezing ranged (was 7-3) attacks.
-Saurian rebalancing:
* Knife thrower: 5 MP -> 6 MP
* Mage: 31 HP -> 25 HP, 5 MP -> 6 MP, 16 gold -> 17 gold
* Sage: 34 HP -> 28 HP, 5 MP -> 6 MP
* Lizard rider: 39 HP -> 43 HP, 6 MP -> 5 MP
* Swamp Saurian: 26 HP -> 30 HP, 6-2 -> 8-2 attack
Bugs:
-Battle Tutor works again
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Era of Strife 0.24.1 has been on the add-on server for about a week. There are no major changes, though some animations have been improved.

The era can also be downloaded from sourceforge and the webinterface.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Battle Tutor shouldn't give just one experience, it should give experience equaling the Tutorer's level. It would give real reasons to level them since at the moment, you use the Saurian Sage only because of the Battle Tutor doesn't increase in power while leveling. Also, in my opinion, with this feature, it looks more BfW-like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think the saurian elementalist isn't balanced. Let's get the differents to the soulmage:
['+' doesn't mean plus, it means positive - same with '-']
+3 more hitpoints
+30% more fire resistence
+7 less experience
+1 strike more on the melee attack
+1 more attack
-no frozen advantage
-10% less fire resistence
-default AMLA
-20% less impact and blade resistence
-less damage: strongest attack does even 3 less damage
-no souldbind

The positive things are more or less useless (+3 hits; +1 strike). The disadvantages makes real important points. Within that, there are, for example, soulbind, 20% less impact/blade resistence and less damage. This unit is meant to be a damager, isn't it? -I suggest to add a lightning attack doing pierce damage. Pierce+fire is always a very mean combination since there isn't (or at least I can't remember one) a unit having good resistences against both types. Also, I suggest to decrease the damage of the soulbinder to about 6-3 or 7-3. The more damage an attack does, the more likly it gets you kill someone/-thing with that. You can see it if you take a look at the mainline experience: The more damage a unit does, the more experience this unit need to level up. With that in mind, you'll see, that plague gets stronger the more damage its attack does. The mainline's strongest plague attack does 6-3(Soulless/Necromancer). The soulbinder does 50% more damage than the strongest plague spreader and creates a unit being even stronger (ranged attack; flying; faster) and not recruitable making you be more depend on him.

Edit:
You could also go away from the default AMLA. You could create a new, stronger AMLA to balance soulmage against elementalist even in 30% experience settings.
Ghite

Post by Ghite »

Why doesn't anyone update strife? How is the only original balanced era [bold]dead[/bold]?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It's not exactly dead. I've done some work on it in the past few weeks, but I haven't found the time/motivation to release anything in quite some time. If you want I can dump whatever I have on the server though. No guarantees about bugginess.

Alternatively, if you know how to use SVN, you can check this out: http://svn.code.sf.net/p/wesnoth-umc-de ... of_Strife/
I'd point you to a webinterface instead, but sourceforge has been broken since they moved to Allura.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

My (Saurian Faction) motivation it is definitely dead. I haven't even played Wesnoth since over a year.
I look back to it as something nice I did as a 14-16 year old. Thanks for the interest, though :D .
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Am I free to use some elements of this era in my new campaign ? Precisely : units and some historical background