The Era of Strife

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Quietus
Art Contributor

Re: The Era of Strife

Post by Quietus »

We never split up :geek: lol, just i wasnt sure if you wanted to do the campaign yourself. Anywhos, I'm going to do a very long winded expanded version of the history, jsut to pad it out and give out more in depth information (mainly for my own plessure, but if anyone feels like reading it, I hope they enjoy it :) ) I'll post an attachment in the mintoaur faction thread, when its done.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Quietus wrote:We never split up :geek: lol, just i wasnt sure if you wanted to do the campaign yourself. Anywhos, I'm going to do a very long winded expanded version of the history, jsut to pad it out and give out more in depth information (mainly for my own plessure, but if anyone feels like reading it, I hope they enjoy it :) ) I'll post an attachment in the mintoaur faction thread, when its done.
Good... I like reading expanded history...
Mica

Post by Mica »

Well AFAIK I can't add the Great River now - I'd have to rearrange everything.

Also, the reason firecloud peak is so big was so that I could be lazy - it basically counts as a small mountain range in itself with the giant firecloud peak :P
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The map looks awesome :)

Unfortunately, as I said on IRC, there are a few things off:
EOS2.png
-The great desert could be a little bit greater (I've drawn a possible new border for it), it is supposed to be some big uncrossable wasteland.
-Silver Drake Mountain/Firecloud peak should be locked between the northern forest and the great desert, cutting off the only last path to wesnoth. (accessible to dwarves until the silver drakes conquer it, the forest being under control of xenophobic elves)
-"Kal Kartha" is actually on the eastern edge of wesnoth. If you take a look at this map, then on the eastern edge you'll see two things: the northern forest and the hills of kal kartha (called the "eastern hills" by wesnothians)
-The hills of triththa could be a bit more central, this throws them in the middle of a conflict as one of the less aggressive factions.
-The eltireans' floating isles are/were on the east side of the great desert. As I'm not sure where they went after those were scuttled, I'd prefer if you drew the isles rather than a bunch of cities. (no idea how they would look though, clouds? low priority, like below)
-According to eventide lore, their second enemy in their quest for revenge were the elves, so I'd like them somewhat close to the northern forest. This is pretty low-priority though.
-the map of the great continent puts the northern coastline much further north than what this map portrays. The eastern shoreline could be perfectly valid though.
-As a final note, like I said on IRC, I'd like the map to be geographical (as opposed to political), as during the times, factions and borders move a LOT. This would mean no faction names or faction names on separate layers in an xcf, so they can be moved as needed.

That turned out to be a pretty big list. =/
Maybe if you post the xcf we can help out a bit.
As for the hills, they're basically small mountains, so try drawing tons of tiny mountains if you can't find a better brush. (shouldn't look half bad)

Random trivia: Triththa is properly spelled ᛏᚱᛁᚦᚦᚨ in runes. ;)
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Aahz... Elder Futhark runes... Good job... Yup that's how you spell Triththa in Elder Futhark and that's how you pronounce it

I wish everything was written out in Elder Futhark... phonetic writing systems are awesome!

Also AI... you forgot about the Wild Steppe (if this map is aligned with the whole Great Continent, which includes Far North)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I believe the wild steppes are quite a distance north from the northern forest, so I didn't mention them. (just that there should be no shore there)
Mica

Post by Mica »

I'm going to redo this...

Major changes:

- Add "the great river"
- Make the shore not go to the north
- Make the Northern Forest and Kal Kartha connect properly (some of Kal Kartha will be cut out - what's on the main Wesnoth map will not be on mine)
- Silver Drake Mountain will NOT cut off the only way to Wesnoth - Northern Forest, Silver Drake Mountain, AND Kal Kartha will all be ways to get there. Sorry, but I see that Kal Kartha also leads to Wesnoth.

And by the way - I WOULD post the .xcf, but I didn't feel like zipping it up and Wesnoth doesn't take .xcf.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

As you requested, here's the things I said on IRC:
19:15 < AI0867> the idea was
19:16 < AI0867> that the "elemental monarchs" are 5 people living somewhere in different areas
19:16 < AI0867> they're not a faction or anything
19:16 < Mica> yes he explained ;p
19:16 < Mica> I didn't know if it was a faction or not
19:16 < Mica> Anyways
19:16 < AI0867> so I was a bit surprised when he added them to svn, as they're mostly campaign material
19:16 < Mica> I DID save a layer version of my second map - I always do
19:17 < AI0867> great =)
19:17 < AI0867> now if you post it, maybe we can help out =P
19:17 < Mica> Anyways, I'll be working on another, I posted in the thread with details that I changed
19:17 < AI0867> k
19:18 < Mica> Well I kind of see what you guys want
19:18 < Mica> It's just the great desert - I'm having a hard time placing it
19:19 < AI0867> erm, kal kartha is IN wesnoth
19:19 < AI0867> it's not "a way to get there
19:20 < AI0867> it's to the west of the great desert
19:20 < Mica> Wait
19:20 < Mica> So I'd *have* to include part of Wesnoth?
19:20 < AI0867> no
19:20 < AI0867> I mentioned it to give people an idea of where everything's located
19:21 < Mica> k
19:21 < Mica> So it'll not be on the map
19:21 < AI0867> nope
19:21 < AI0867> it's the west end of the big mountain range
19:26 < AI0867> which is why wesnoth is inaccessible to the east:
19:26 < AI0867> -the great desert is quite huge, extending quite a bit to the south
19:26 < AI0867> -the northern elves don't allow other races in their forest
19:26 < Mica> Ok
19:27 < AI0867> -firecloud peak (the 'pass' between the two) is taken by drakes
19:32 < Mica> I'll work on it some more tomorrow, can you put this in the thread?
19:32 < Mica> that way I won't forget.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

In preparation for release 0.20, including the updated minotaurs and a few extremely campaign-only units (the elemental monarchs), here's an updated (and even more ugly) map sketch: http://i36.tinypic.com/346x2r8.png
Mica

Post by Mica »

EoS + Default is horribly unbalanced, most specifically Undead vs Saurians. Though not so much, Minotaurs vs Rebels is too, is there any plans to balance with default or is it there to just provide more options?

AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Currently it's just there to provide more options, like default+EE+EoM+strife. It's a long-term goal to get the balance with default better, but internal balance takes precedence.

Can you post your findings? Maybe we can find a way to improve these issues without upsetting the era internally.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

AI wrote: Can you post your findings? Maybe we can find a way to improve these issues without upsetting the era internally.
He is basing this off of a couple of EoS games we played...
Mica

Post by Mica »

Saurians vs. Undead:

Saurians have no impact or fire except for two units that are both very expensive [20 and 22]. Fire is still not very strong there, and the other unit is a scout [which is not built for fighting really]. So, the undead have the advantage.

Minotaurs vs Rebels

Rebels have pierce and blade commonly [two of the minotaurs weaknesses], plus fire [a unit or two are weak to fire]. The minotaurs do have arcane though, but not as commonly as the elves have their weaknesses.

AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The sage is expensive, but for that you get a DA-level magical attack, battle tutor and a melee attack that'll at least pretend to defend the unit against a zerker.

I was going to say you'll have to go for the lizard rider, as that's their supposed 'tank', but looking at the hitpoints, thinks look odd:

Code: Select all

skirmisher:    26 (base_unit off core)
lizard rider:  35
knife thrower: 39
There's a tiny dagger-wielding saurian with an assassin-like advancement tree, that has almost double the hitpoints of the skirmisher and even more than the lizard rider?

Code: Select all

augur: 22 (core)
mage:  31
sage:  34
Looks like the sage was about as good as it's going to get.

The saurians need quite a bit of rebalancing it seems

As for the minotaurs, only the boar rider has a pierce weakness, but the blade weakness on most other units is indeed a problem. It was put there originally to give other factions a way to deal with these powerhouses, 120 may be a bit too much though, maybe we can reduce it by 10 in return for 20 on fire or arcane.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Just a little constructive criticism, the Northern Forest is much too large and extends out into the desert without any water supply. You never see that many trees right on the edge of a forest, there would be at least a little grassy area, and maybe some hills separating the terrains. I'd suggest that you at least have a few streams branch out through the forest, making it conceivable. If I notice anything else I'll point it out, but that just kind of struck me as absurd. Looking good guys, keep it up!
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!