The Era of Strife

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lizard

Re: The Era of Strife

Post by Lizard »

Espreon wrote:I thought the region in which the EoS takes place was east of Wesnoth... Because if that is so then the ocean is on the wrong side...
Mica already wrote, that he has a wrong coastline. :wink:
btw: your brushes work, but I'm sad that I can't recolor them
Mica wrote:If we're in the east of wesnoth, then the coastline is wrong and I'll have to restart the map. =l
when you are redoing the map anyway, please rename the Silver Drake Mountain to Firecloud Peak. And "The (still unnamed) hills of Triththa, the end of the great range spanning all the way from the eastern hills near wesnoth." can you draw them?

I could imagine a saurian exodus moving directly over the Triththa :D towards the swamp. here are some thoughts:
Saurian society:
Saurians live in Firecloud(, divided in families :?: doesn't mater anyway.), they mainly feed on mushroom.
They are lead by magicians; they mainly get their power(1) from an important artifact.
well, that is not much.

They get attacked by the Eltireans, on their way to the promised land. The leader, a old Mystic, wants to hold them back, when he dies(2) you, a young Mage, lead the exodus. You'll carry your artifact with you, will be a slow Unit. It is mainly a simple arrow from Firecloud to the Swamps, but south around Triththa, to get a river and face the Eventide.
Mica/AI :?: , can you move the forest south of Triththa a bit north, please? Always crossing hills and plains will get boring soon, but my poor saurians wouldn't take a that long way.

(1) not their spellpower, but the power they need to rule
(2) I don't know why yet. Maybe you killed him?..

[edit=btw]Which of your are planing a campaign?
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Hmm i think its time that i give a rough overview of the history of the minotaurs. Its all in my head, but it would be good to share some thoughts.
In short:

Before Strife
-Mintoaurs used to be human
-Drought and famine cause many to die
-During drought, they found a herd of bulls producing large amounts of food
-Saved by the bulls, they worship them believing them to be a deity in mammal form
-This enraged Askela, the god who created the humans
-She cursed the faction deforming their appearance
-They were to be hated by all those that looked upon them as punishment for their blasphemy
-As a means of communicating with the god, she created 3 crystals, only a minotaur king and an apostle could use the crystals
-Zeal became the first apostle sacrifising his sight to be able to see his creator through the crystals

Era Of Strife - A nation devided, book 1 of the lithian codex
-Minotaur Warlords split up land and contend against each other
-Civil War breaks out
-3 main families emerge, the Ranorm family in the south west (guardians of Lithia and the crystals), the Turan family in the north, and the Kimmor family in the east.
-War raged on, until Talok Ranorm, father of the Ranorm family was slain
-His son Rilend Ranorm took his fathers place as head of the Ranorm army, and in a massive expedition defeated the Kimmor's and the Turan's.
-In uniting the land, he was granted the title Rilend Ironfist and made the first king Lithia (the new minotaur capital city seen on the map in the south,where the Lithian codex is kept)

Era Of Strife - Ironfist, book 2 of the lithian codex
-United under one banner, the minotaurs began to expand east
-They lacked the materials and experties to cross (Lake Aoir?) north, so east was the only option.
-There they met fierce resistance from the Eventide
-Long, expensive campaigns cost the mintotaurs, and Rilend Ironfist was forced to leave Lithia and organise attack himself
-In Rilend's abscence, Zeal became corrupt, he was able to manipulate the crystals to change the world the mintoaurs were living.
-He could summon demons from the pits of hell
-He took over Lithia and most of the mintoaur lands
-Rilend Ironfist had to abandon the eventide campaign east and return home to punish the heretic Zeal
-Zeal hired in mercenaries from all over the era and Ironfist had to force his way to the capital, where he confrunted Zeal and his demons
-A long battle took place and soon after Zeal was defeated.
-Ironfist knew that the crystals couldnt be kept together as they were too powerful for one apostle.
-So he split them up dividing the region into three (coincidentally divided the same was the three families had during the civil war)
-His two sons guarded the crystals and the regions.

------------------------------------------

Ok thats the basic jist of it. I planned on making two campaigns. One, where you play as the Ranorm family and have to unite the lands of the minotaurs. And one where you play as Ironfist again and have to fight your way back to Lithia and defeat Zeal. If there is anything people want to change, please go ahead and suggest, this was mostly of the top of my head and im sure icould ahve gone on for more than two books of the Lithian Codex
Mica

Post by Mica »

Lizard wrote:
Espreon wrote:I thought the region in which the EoS takes place was east of Wesnoth... Because if that is so then the ocean is on the wrong side...
Mica already wrote, that he has a wrong coastline. :wink:
btw: your brushes work, but I'm sad that I can't recolor them
Mica wrote:If we're in the east of wesnoth, then the coastline is wrong and I'll have to restart the map. =l
when you are redoing the map anyway, please rename the Silver Drake Mountain to Firecloud Peak. And "The (still unnamed) hills of Triththa, the end of the great range spanning all the way from the eastern hills near wesnoth." can you draw them?

I could imagine a saurian exodus moving directly over the Triththa :D towards the swamp. here are some thoughts:
Saurian society:
Saurians live in Firecloud(, divided in families :?: doesn't mater anyway.), they mainly feed on mushroom.
They are lead by magicians; they mainly get their power(1) from an important artifact.
well, that is not much.

They get attacked by the Eltireans, on their way to the promised land. The leader, a old Mystic, wants to hold them back, when he dies(2) you, a young Mage, lead the exodus. You'll carry your artifact with you, will be a slow Unit. It is mainly a simple arrow from Firecloud to the Swamps, but south around Triththa, to get a river and face the Eventide.
Mica/AI :?: , can you move the forest south of Triththa a bit north, please? Always crossing hills and plains will get boring soon, but my poor saurians wouldn't take a that long way.

(1) not their spellpower, but the power they need to rule
(2) I don't know why yet. Maybe you killed him?..

[edit=btw]Which of your are planing a campaign?
Okay, the reason you can't recolor the brushes is because they're saved in a color-GIMP brush format instead of the black and white format.

I can't really draw in a great range or many hills because it's very hard for me to do so, I could try if someone could help me on it.

I don't really plan on redoing this map completely just quite yet, but I'll definitely change the name of the mountain for you.

I didn't exactly draw in the saurians anywhere specific because I figured they'd be all over the place (as dark, damp places are common).

Yes I wouldn't mind making the forest a place to cross past Trithia as well.

Quietus, is the location of the minotaurs okay with you? I noticed that they tended to like forest terrain by their defense, and so I decided to put them in an area with forests.

Current changes to make:
The forest south of Trithia should be moved a bit north so others aren't forced to go through Trithia.
The coastline on the eastern side.
Renaming Silver Drake Mountain to Fire Cloud Peak.
I might increase the size of the map, though not much.
Rivers will be drawn differently.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Mica

Post by Mica »

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/ ... t=EOS2.png

It's 2500x2000 pixels big, and on my computer it's about 35k KB x_x

Things to do:
Hills
The mountain range
Name some more stuff
Change trails from only going between cities belonging to that race/nation to major routes.
Add details onto the islands

I'm NOT doing:
Another version of this
Tons of edits
Placing Saurians or Drakes (because they would be over multiple places)
Moving any locations (maybe some cities - but not mountains/forests/whatever)
ALL the hills and mountain range. =l

Kay?

You guys didn't even appreciate my work the first time (a thank you or a good job but... would be okay even) so I'm not as willing to do this anymore.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Mica, I know how much you said you appreciated me so I'm going to say how much I appreciate you. Honestly I think that map is AWSOME! And I'm serious about that! The only problem I saw besides the obvious change of the ocean side was the way the rivers were drawn. So I think it's good. :D
Mica

Post by Mica »

Thank you Mirion! I forgot about our project together, don't worry, I still have the files, I hope all of them.

I agree about the rivers, and the ocean was on the wrong side the first time. XD

I'll try to redo the rivers, thanks again for your support! :D

Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Mica wrote:Quietus, is the location of the minotaurs okay with you? I noticed that they tended to like forest terrain by their defense, and so I decided to put them in an area with forests.
perfectly fine thankyou :)
Mica wrote:You guys didn't even appreciate my work the first time (a thank you or a good job but... would be okay even) so I'm not as willing to do this anymore.
But of course we are appreaciated by the work you're doing. By the looks of it AI hasnt seen the map yet, so im sure he will have comments and compliments when he gets round to posting. The map itself looks great and i personally am thankful for you doing it.

Out of curiousity, do you plan on marking specific towns or cities on the map? If so I have the names of a few minotaur cities that could be placed
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Sorry Mica, that i didn't said anything about your map the first time it's a very cool map 8) and made me instantly thing about a Campaign. I tried to do a map myself today and failed miserable.
I know, the names are stupid
I know, the names are stupid
I understood the brush thing and may try to do some tree and some hill brushes. Could you post the .xcf of the (first)map? I'd like to know how you do such a cool map(what layers).

The other reason I want to have the xcf is, that i liked the first map more. I know that you put a lot of work into the second, and that you don't want to do another map. :( I feel bad for writing this and my English may probably make this sound different as I mean it. Also my opinion probably does not count that much. I don't want you to redo the map, but I would like to have an own try on it.

This are my reasons for it, these are not just for Mica, but also for all the others:
Thoughts_1.jpg
here are my thoughts for a map and for my Campaigns. The areas are rough sketches I imagined for the factions, they are pretty loose. A Eltirean attack(red arrow) causes the exodus, the green arrow is the way of the Saurians, the dotted part over Triththa an alternate path in the Campaign(featuring cave levels). The yellow marked forest is the one I'd like to move. The landmark Text is for a connection to Wesnoth. I don't see a need for an ocean.
And here are reasons why I don't like the new Map:
  • size of Firecloud: With such a big base I wouldn't do an exodus, I would start an invasion.
  • position of Triththa: Nothing is on my way to the Swamp, why should I fight? And from where will all the enemies against Triththa come from? It was first positioned under attacks of Saurians and Eventide maybe even Eltireans, now it's at the border.
  • Triththa has no hills, but they are maybe the ones you want to add.
  • The Minotaurs wanted to push east, because of the rivers, now east is blocked. That is now invalid because Quietus already responded.
DISCLAIMER:
I don't insist on the map being like I want it. I'll adapt my plans to the other faction and the map and I will not leave the project.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Mica

Post by Mica »

I'll probably write a step by step guide of what I do sometime if you guys would like. ^^

For the water I use GIMP's pattern called "Ice". It seems to fit pretty well! :D

Your map isn't that bad, it's just you don't know how to use all the tools and everything. Don't worry, I didn't know at first either! haha.

I can't include the .xcf for some reason, it always just takes forever to load, and then when it does it opens a blank reply screen...

Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

I actually prefer the new map, it fits in nicely with my minotaur Civil war.

The only thing i have to change is that the mintoaurs expand west and collide with Eltirean rather than east where they would ahve collided with Eventide
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

There is yet another problem with the map... There is no extension of the Great River... The map of Wesnoth shows that the Great river continues into the east... Maybe we could have it end in the lake...
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Just used the map to show how it works out with the history of Minotaurs...it can be found here

Thanks again Mica :D
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Quietus wrote:Just used the map to show how it works out with the history of Minotaurs...it can be found here

Thanks again Mica :D
The new Minotaur history is quite awesome... after I finish my campaign... maybe I'll do an EoS campaign on Minotaur history. It'll probably focus on the time Zeal is still alive... BTW, it would be that the demons were summoned from the Inferno...
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Yes, i wanted to make good use of battlestar's faction
They were simply too cool not to be used. Plus i would also make some of my own units.

I planned on making two campaigns. one which was during the civil war and one which was the eastern advance, which lead to Zeal's betrayal. Maybe we should team up again :P
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Quietus wrote:Maybe we should team up again :P
When did we split up? I never felt like we split... But whatever... it is better by having two work on something rather than one...

But it is grand you decided to put demons into the storyline... I like it when the Inferno is involved in a campaign (Thanks to SM for putting it into IFtU)...