New campaign: Return from Captivity, for 2 players

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UK1

Re: New campaign: Return from Captivity, for 2 players

Post by UK1 »

Hey, so my boyfriend and I are playing through RfC. This wasn't my first rodeo with RfC. I'd played through it before with a friend when I knew WAY less about Wesnoth than I do now (but could still be considered decent or at least above average) so I thought it would be a breeze.

The first three scenarios were easy as pie. Just as I remember them. The fourth scenario hit us like a ton of bricks. Now, my boyfriend isn't as good a player as I am. Even with my direction I cringed a couple times as he made really bad moves. We didn't even come close to winning. We were overrun.

So I figured I'd go through and play both sides by myself, get us past it, and continue with him. And I definitely did a lot better by myself, but I STILL got shellacked really bad. Someone posted here in 2011 that they beat it with only a handful of casualties. That seems miraculous to me. Is there a trick or gimmick that I'm missing here? We finished the last scenario pretty early so we had a lot of gold. So I doubt that's the issue. The elf wound up with a lot of gold while the dwarf's income was always negative. The elf recruited with like 150gc in the middle of the scenario, but the dwarf was fargone by that point. I'm wondering if I had the elf send scouts around and concentrated all the villages in his hands if that wouldn't help. Because villages held by the dwarf were essentially wasted.

Now, I reexamined the map and I think what has to be done is that instead of trying to keep the islands in the middle and save the Wose leader, I have to just let him get torn apart and stake my defense on the river. That really seems to be the only way. But I'm forced to give up a lot of forest that way.

Thoughts?
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
Coin-coin_le_Canapin

Post by Coin-coin_le_Canapin »

The first time I played this scenario with a friend we had two white mage to free at the beginning and I remember that we finished it quite easily.
Now there are only a weak elf shaman and a weak dwarvish alchemist to free and we can't beat the first scenario. We made the shaman and alchemist level up before encountering the saurians, but it's not enough. We can't kill all of them before the trolls come too much closer. :/

Any advice ?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

did you free the other units on your way?
Coin-coin_le_Canapin

The two dwarves ? The one with the rifle and the other one ? Do, I didn't find out how to reach them and if it was possible.
Coin-coin_le_Canapin

We were bored and we couldn't win the first map. We modified it and replaced the two first units by white mages and we finished it, but it was close ! :/
Scenario 2 : seems quite impossible for us. I have absolutely no idea how we are supposed to face against all these enemies. We can't even reach the green faction king in the cave. And even if we could, we are overwhelmed by draconians, undeads and more.

Are we missing something ? :/
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

Thanks for playing and the valuable feedback :).
Coin-coin_le_Canapin wrote:Are we missing something ? :/
The good news are that the scenario doesn't require to kill any enemy, "just" surviving is enough. The cave offers some good defence, and while the elves will be busy rotating their units and heal, the offensive part lies up to the dwarves. Also, its a 2x5x2 (outside enemies aren't allied to those inside) which can (and should) be exploited.
The two dwarves ? The one with the rifle and the other one ? Do, I didn't find out how to reach them and if it was possible.
Nah, those two cant be freed, never could. However the 2 human cellmates can :eng: .
The first time I played this scenario with a friend we had two white mage to free at the beginning and I remember that we finished it quite easily.
Now there are only a weak elf shaman and a weak dwarvish alchemist to free and we can't beat the first scenario. We made the shaman and alchemist level up before encountering the saurians, but it's not enough. We can't kill all of them before the trolls come too much closer. :/

Any advice ?
Advance aggressively, denying the good defence from the opponents and squeeze any bit of allied healing. That's how I beat it relatively easily the scenario (with those actually not-so-weak shamans ;) ).

UK1 wrote:Now, I reexamined the map and I think what has to be done is that instead of trying to keep the islands in the middle and save the Wose leader, I have to just let him get torn apart and stake my defense on the river. That really seems to be the only way. But I'm forced to give up a lot of forest that way.

Thoughts?
A bit late, but anyway. Its not really expected to save that much of the forest (about 40% at best). I usually hold the first river line (the stream nearer to the players) either completely giving up the woses or ordering the wose leader way back to the starting castles, and the dwarves tend to rely more on the merfolk in my playthroughs, maybe something to consider.
Coin-coin_le_Canapin

Thank you for your reply :)
We are now to the fifth scenario, "The Land of the Dragons" and we don't know what to do.
Two dracan armies with a bunch of lvl 3, it seems we can't handle that. Any advice ?
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

mmh, yeah that... arguably the hardest scenario of the campaign (and trickiest to balance too).

Maybe, recruit fresh dwarves (guards and fighters), who hold up the onslaught while this time the elves kill as many as they can? Not easy to give an advice without knowing the available recalls. In the other hand, hopefully you have some leveled up elvish sorceress and/or dwarvish thunderguards.

After the first 2/3 assaults hack&slash your way up to the temple in middle (but please avoid at any cost the central path).
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

My friend and I started playing this campaign on normal difficulty, but gave up on the first scenario. It wasn't so hard that we literally couldn't beat it, it was just very frustrating. The scenario starts with no more than a few level zeros to fight, so we get the idea that we can advance with basically no caution. Then a handful of saurians popped out of nowhere, and mobbed my leader; we had to reload and be more careful. Not long later, the level 2 saurian leader popped out of nowhere and killed the trapper. Not long later, a giant spider popped out of nowhere and killed my leader again.

So basically, we constantly got surprised by stronger enemies than we had any warning about. Being rushed by the enemy horde straight into unpleasant, dangerous surprises that move fast enough to strike without warning is not a good way to start a campaign. I don't have any idea how to fix this without remaking the whole scenario, so maybe I should have kept my opinion to myself. Hopefully this feedback will be useful anyway.

It looked like it would have been a pretty good campaign, overall. The story seemed to be shaping up quite nicely, and it looks like lots of people enjoyed it more than we did. Good work, I guess. :)
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
EnergiaX

Post by EnergiaX »

I play in version 1.5.5 +dev
First scenario it is impossible to pass, you must to fix it.
Draw has too little move. Turn limit is impossible.
I try 2 times and I came to the spider. (In 40 turn)
it is not said where exactly you have to go, it is not good
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

For the scenario 5, land of the dragons, is there anything that actually helps the players? If not, I just don't see a way to actually complete it within the turn limit.

Right now, you have a total of 60 turns to:
1) Defend yourself on initial castle walls (and dwarf side has 2 tiles that can be attacked by 3 units).
2) Get to the first attacker's castles - elves are fine because there is much forest, but dwarf side has to get up to the hills through flat terrain.
3) Actually kill the attackers that keep recruiting lvl2/lvl3 units. Going through fire/inferno drakes every turn isn't fun.
4) Then you have to walk towards your rune triggering another wave of drakes.
5) And you have to slash your way through them with the forces that are still left after the battle with the first attacker.

I haven't gotten past (5) yet, but after that.

6) Even if the stone undead do not turn hostile you still have to spend some more turns just running towards the exit.

We managed to get to step (4) in 30 turns for dwarves (a bit faster with elves), but the second drake on the bottom side has so many units that it's impossible to move forward and dwarves are forced into a defensive position before crossing the water just so they don't die (no way to have a good wall after crossing). It's possible for them to kill the drakes and go on, but that takes much longer than the allotted turn limit.
wolfsilver00

Post by wolfsilver00 »

Having trouble with scenario 5, please send help, its been days. Tips? anything at all?
radegasek

Post by radegasek »

Try to use petrified undeaths in your favor. When you manage to kill all cockatrices on the map, both petrified undeaths turn to active. But they fight also drakes, so if you will be caution, you can watch them fight each other and then just kill survivors. On the south undeaths win, on north Drakes win, because of nearby lava hexes.
augie

Post by augie »

EnergiaX wrote: May 18th, 2018, 2:33 pm I play in version 1.5.5 +dev
First scenario it is impossible to pass, you must to fix it.
Draw has too little move. Turn limit is impossible.
I try 2 times and I came to the spider. (In 40 turn)
it is not said where exactly you have to go, it is not good
Right past the spider is the exit. you just need your leaders to pass it, so move next to the spider with one not attacking, and you should be able to survive and move past it especially if you play on easy where your leaders are lvl 2. Hope this helps. Also, make sure to free the prisoners.
augie

Post by augie »

We are stuck on the 7th scenario. Someone posted about gold chests. we didn't find them. It was an old post, so maybe they got removed, but otherwise where are they? We seem to be doing fine, but the turn limit gets us. Any tips?