New campaign: Return from Captivity, for 2 players

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gompel

Re: New campaign: Return from Captivity, for 2 players

Post by Gompel »

Hello, I am new to this forum and I only started playing Wesnoth last weekend. I good friend of mine pointed me to this game and after playing the tutorial we wanted to do some MP map. Next thing was this RfC campaign.
And I just want to say: THANK you ckarai! What a great time you're giving us. We've only done the first two maps so far and had to redo them both to get them finished. Really exciting and it seem very well designed. Of course we don't have much other Wesnoth experience to compare it with, but for us as newbees we were really dragged into the game.
Coop is such a great way to discover the game together.
Can't wait to play the next map :D
Thanks man.
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

Thanks for the kind words. I hope I can finish this campaign soon (only 2 levels are missing).

This campaign is not in the easiest Wesnoth campaigns. My wife likes playing Wesnoth, and I wrote RfC to her. She's an experienced Wesnoth player, so this campaign is at her level.

Starting with RfC can be hard, but if you get through on every scenarios, then you'll be able to play every other Wesnoth campaigns.
captinkid

Post by captinkid »

Another bug report, again on a two computer setup.

===

06 The Frozen River

Gives a "the file you have tried to load is corrupt" error at the start of each new turn. It does not affect the computer that loads the file, only the guest computer.

Workaround is for the host to save the game at the start of each turn when the guest crashes and reload it. Then both players can finish their turns before it crashes again.

===

08 The Labyrinth

Gives a "the file you have tried to load is corrupt" error at the start of each new turn. It does not affect the computer that loads the file, only the guest computer.

Workaround is for the host to save the game at the start of each turn when the guest crashes and reload it. Then both players can finish their turns before it crashes again.

===

Great game so far, I and my dad love the challenge. We used the workaround for "The Frozen River" but it takes a while longer to play and it is slightly distracting. We are going to use the workaround on "The Labyrinth" later.

Thanks,

Matt
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have enough time to check this problem right now. I'll do it as soon as I have free time.
I've also uploaded 0.6.0 which contains the 9th "Open Sesame" scenario.

Now only the last scenario is missing.

Thanks,

Csaba
WindChild

Post by WindChild »

Hi ckarai,

I would like to thank you for your work on the "Return from Captivity" campaign. My brother and I were looking for a 2 player campaign, and just started playing this one last weekend. We just got through the 2nd scenario and it was a lot of fun.

I do have a question. I've played Wesnoth for a while now, but have never played a campaign that was under development. In general, will it be safe to upgrade to newer versions of "Return from Captivity" as they come out? We started playing with version 0.7. We hope you finish the campaign before we get to the end, but as we can only play a little on weekends ( as much as our wives allow ), it will probably be at least 3 months before we get to the end.

Thanks.

Wind.
docrock

Post by docrock »

hi, i've been playing through RfC on BfW 1.6a lately in a local game and i got to say it really is one great campaign. lots of twists and technically interesting stuff, i very much liked that scenario with the invisible-undead-radar. also it took me quite some time, those scenarios are huge. i did not run into any problems so far in local mode.
keep up the good work, i am looking forward to the final scenario.

edit: well ok, at some points more explanations in the scenario objectives would be good, like say, not being able to recruit certain unit types after a scenario or that dehydration does apply.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
anomie

Post by anomie »

Hi -

Thank you for making this two player campaign for wesnoth! It is really enjoyable, and each scenario is well thought out.

Are playing it on multi server. I'm using 1.6+svn on my side.

We had no errors until "Save the Forest".

I got these errors initially:

Code: Select all

0090521 18:26:00 error engine: unit of type Orcish Woodcutter not found!
20090521 18:26:00 error general: Error while playing the game: game_error: Unknown unit type 'Orcish Woodcutter'
Reloaded the add-on and this error went away.

Then I got out-of-sync error. But we restarted and this went away, and are now 1/2 through this scenario (tough!! love it.)

As a Wesnoth 2 player campaign, this is a great addition.
Thanks again.
anomie

Post by anomie »

captinkid wrote:Another bug report, again on a two computer setup.

===

06 The Frozen River

Matt

and when that crash occurs the following error on terminal:

20090530 15:45:22 error config: Illegal character in map: (Zza) 'Zza'
20090530 15:45:22 error config: illegal map: Illegal character found in map. The scenario cannot be loaded.
I can confirm this bug. Have same experience.
Last edited by anomie on May 30th, 2009, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SylHar

Post by SylHar »

Hi !

First I want to thank you for this campaign, It's great to finally have a 2 player co-op campaign.

I would have comment and critic to make but this is not the time for this.

We have a problem.
We just finish scenario 3, and the scenario 3 has started again exactly as it was a new scenario, (we can recall our mermaid)

config:
- linux-ubuntu wesnoth 1.6.2, campaign 0.7
- windowxp westoth 1.6.2 campaign 0.7
played on the official server.

both adversary were destroy.

Is there a way to force the campaign to the next scenario ?

thank
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

Hi,

It should load the 4th scenario. If it loads the 3rd one, then it's a bug in Wesnoth.
I've managed to complete the scenario with some 1.6.x Wesnoth version.

I'll port the campaign to 1.7.x and finish the last scenario. After that I'll ask the developers to integrate it into the mainline Wesnoth.

This will need some time, but I think, that the life would be easier in the mainline. It's very-very hard to provide a working version for bunch of Wesnoth releases.
Rocier

Post by Rocier »

Just wanted to say thanks the the campaign. It whoops ass, and is very challenging. :D
Slann

Post by Slann »

Ey, i love this campaign. waitting to see it on 1.7.

And thanks :mrgreen:
ckarai

Post by ckarai »

I've added the last (11th) scenario "Returning to home" to the 1.6.x version.

I don't know whether I have enough time to port this campaign to 1.7.0.

Unfortunately Wesnoth changes rapidly, and I don't have so much time to keep it up to date.
If anyone is interested in continuing the development, please let me know.

Thanks,

Csaba
dexx

Post by dexx »

There is a problem running on 1.6.5. Tried this as well with 1.6.3, 1.6.4 and the latest beta and it was reproduced on all versions.

The problem lies in loading a save from campaign. It says exactly this:

load_game_failed: Attempt to create a unit on the recall list for side 4, which does not have a recall list.
When I run the game not locally I can simply confirm (the game will exit) but my team mate is not kicked so I can later join as a spectator and he assigns me to my original team. It does not work for local game since I can only confirm.

I managed to find a solution but it has to be redone each time I want to load a campaign. I open game save in a text editor, find "[snapshot]" and then search for the 4th "[side]" occurence inside this [shapshot] (as the error is about "side 4". Then I search through all units ("[unit]") and find that side 4 has assigned units from previous scenarios! So during the load game tries to recall not only correct units but also bad ones from previous scenarios. So I simply delete all units from this save which were incorrect, leaving correct ones. (This is easy as long as units type is different between scenarios...).

I hope it helps!

I also encountered problem that second scenario loaded again, in spite of third. It worked ok after starting the whole campaign from the very beginning...

very good campaign btw...!
dkfrubio

Post by dkfrubio »

Just attempted to play this campaign. Scenarios 1 and 2 went smoothly, but on #3, even when all the undead were killed and both leaders were next to the ships, it did not advance. Is there some trick to making it advance, or is it a bug?