Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
mog
Inactive Developer

Re: mesilliac's terrain graphics thread

Post by mog »

Hmmm... maybe I should resurrect my idea of "overlay only" terrains (see http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... a&start=60). Then we could simply draw cliffs over any kind of base terrain.

The code should still be in the old terrain-layer branch, I think I'll try to port it to the current codebase.
Aurë entuluva!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

mesilliac wrote:Come to think of it... just making a new base terrain for the cliffs would probably be ok. "rocky grass" and "snowy rocks" would fit almost everywhere, and the cliffs could be an overlay on top of that. Cliffs would need an additional snowy version anyway. Hmmmmmm...
Don't forget desert too. There are enough desert tiles to be its own set...
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
mesilliac
Developer

Post by mesilliac »

mog wrote:Hmmm... maybe I should resurrect my idea of "overlay only" terrains (see http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... a&start=60). Then we could simply draw cliffs over any kind of base terrain.

The code should still be in the old terrain-layer branch, I think I'll try to port it to the current codebase.
Please do this :D I want this functionality so bad!

I've wanted at various times all of:
* overlay which overrides base tile movement/defense with something new (e.g. forest, cliffs)
* overlay which combines movement/defense with base tile (e.g. bridge over swamp, bridge over water, etc)
* overlay which has no effect on movement/defense (e.g. grassland flowers, windmill)
Aethaeryn wrote:Don't forget desert too. There are enough desert tiles to be its own set...
The tally so far is grass, snow, desert and perhaps cave :).
megane wrote:You'd also need a cave version though. However! If you do the cliff edge as an overlay, it can easily be placed on arbitrary terrains in the terrain def file, just as hill/mountain villages are now (I think? :hmm: ).
It's an overlay :D. But I've been thinking that each variation will probably need its own graphics anyway :(.

I added the opposite-facing cliffs. Really, using the chasm graphics is an ugly hack and there'll be no way to make it look good. The cliffs need original graphics drawn.

Current image tally for a cliff is 30. I'm thinking of adding images for cliffs branching off, but this would be another 30 or so images :(.
Attachments
cliffs2.jpg
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

It looks like some of Wesnoth's top minds are set on making this happen - awesome!

I understand this is a work in progress, but I thought I'd get a quick clarification on something. Currently, when a cliff falls between grass and water, there is some "bleedthrough" of grass onto the water. This results in a less-than-optimum transition. (See attached image - I've highlighted the areas where this happens).

Using the current systems, is there a way to prevent this from happening?
If not, using the proposed overlay system, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

I suspect you're way ahead of me on this one, but I thought I'd check, just to make sure it had been considered. Apart from that, I can't see any flaws at all in this proof of concept, which is very exciting.
Attachments
Areas of Concern
Areas of Concern
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

Sangel wrote:Using the current systems, is there a way to prevent this from happening?
If not, using the proposed overlay system, is there a way to prevent this from happening?
No, not really. That's what we've been discussing the last two pages. I *could* imagine special-casing some transitions (e.g for water), but in general it's (probably) not possible.
Aurë entuluva!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You could make a transition for everything, but that kind of defeats the point of an overlay.
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

I just committed the support for overlay terrains. Check out my lastest posts here and/or have a look at the way wooden bridges work in current SVN.
Aurë entuluva!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

/me hands mog and mesilliac cookies.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've got to ask, is there a way to get those cliffs to do anything, or would they only be decoration?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

Velensk wrote:I've got to ask, is there a way to get those cliffs to do anything, or would they only be decoration?
They would be a barrier for non-flying units.
Aurë entuluva!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

mog wrote:
Velensk wrote:I've got to ask, is there a way to get those cliffs to do anything, or would they only be decoration?
They would be a barrier for non-flying units.
I express appreciation.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

It would be cool if like giant spiders could climb cliffs too.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I suspect that cliffs will be an alias of chasm, so you'd need to allow them to climb those too (which, unfortunately, also includes lava)
mesilliac
Developer

Post by mesilliac »

mog is my new hero.
Attachments
spiralofDESPAIR.jpg