Scenario Review: THoT 2 - Reclaiming the Past

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mal_shubertal

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 2 - Reclaiming the Past

Post by mal_shubertal »

I like the background info here, it offers some slight foreshadowing with the ellipsis in the way the masked dwarf explains the situation, and it helps situate this campaign in the larger Wesnoth world with references to other campaigns like Scepter of Fire and Northern Rebirth. It also provides some interesting insight into dwarven politics/culture, the balance of power between different communities of dwarves, as well as the implied division of powers between the primary rulers and the more mystical runesmith/loremaster class, who seem to have a lot of discretion to hide things from leaders of particular dwarf groups in the interest of the greater good of all dwarves.
JL42

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 2 - Reclaiming the Past

Post by JL42 »

v. 1.16.10
Lord / Challenging

This scenario is dialogue only; no gameplay. Everything here is extremely well written, with good and consistent use of linguistic accent for character. Sets things up for a great adventure.

The only weird element is how Movrur has suddenly remembered how to construct verb tenses and becomes a thousand times more eloquent compared to the previous scenario. Given what we learn later in the campaign, I also don't understand why he seems so eager to have them visit Kal Kartha; he should be saying thanks but we don't need any help; we'll send a delegation later, etc., to try to keep them away.

To the left of the throne, it looks like there is a village embedded in the cave wall. Not sure if that is intentional or not, but the visuals look a bit odd to me.

---------------
About the Overall Campaign:

This campaign has deteriorated a bit since the last time I played. Which sucks, because it used to be one of the absolute best. There are still some very strong points – particularly in the last few scenarios (I'm agnostic about the changes to the final map; both versions of that one are good) – and the core strength of the writing continues to carry it. I love how the story develops the heathen culture of the dwarves and their sense of honor etc. However, it desperately needs some work, or restoration, around the middle of the campaign to resolve the confusing events, logical lapses, and frustrating gameplay that have been introduced. I really dislike the addition of the character Movrur, who is not as strong in the writing and kind of ruins the mystery and sense of exploration and adventure that drove the original campaign. In addition to having less mystery and tension, the story is now very confusing and illogical in places, and the maps around scenarios 3–5 are much less enjoyable than previous versions. This used to be one of my favorite campaigns in Wesnoth, five out of five, full marks, but I can't really say that anymore. I'll give it 3 out of 5 stars for the current version, and that is generous based on the lingering writing strength and still having a few solid maps. Would really, really love to see this campaign developed or restored a bit to bring it back to where it could be.