Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.2 - 6 new units!

Post by IPS »

Sky Kingdom quick test.gz
(61.9 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
This is a quick test for Sky Kingdom Army (faction that I personally think I use the best).

In this match, I managed to defeat both AI opponents in a record time of 27 turns, considering how badly did play the AI ... it's not an impressive archivement lol.

There are few things to realize, mostly regards Cosmic Eye that as always, its performance is brutally strong and I think deservers a multi angled small nerfs again. We said that Cosmic Eyes have a chance againist any existing unit in the era because of owning a physical melee and both anti-magic and magical attack on ranged (anti-magic burst damage combined of high 80% accuracy makes this unit to always attempt to full damage againist slowing ranged casters). Counter of this are anything that has magical melee, but these units aren't very common and as well, most of them are magical beings that as well are countered by Cosmic Eye's arcane ranged.

Will implement the Battle Eye in Cosmic Eyes but only when Lv2 Cosmic Eyes retaliates.

Sky Guardian is gaining just one trait as old remenant of pre-buff.

Lastly, Master of Air combined of summoned Air Avatars and Elementals and some support of cosmic eye probes to be a complete army that can work well in most situations (againist a human player that avoids over-expanding with too slow units, ressults shouldn't be that punishing as of this replay)

Some Balance Propssals
Sky Guardian
- Recruited Sky Guardians will get 2 traits as of normal unit.

Cosmic Eye
Again this magnificient unit is nerfed once again, what a such nice performance!
- Melee attack will now have +Precision-(offensive) and +Magical specials.
- AMLA XP from 100 to 111
- Price from 44g to 45g

Also, in case any lv2 unit with no advancement becomes too nice even without veteran trait, their AMLA XP will be increased for the good of everything else. This unit already lost 10% impact resistance and now requires more XP to adquire Veteran's AMLA, so I'm nerfing this unit in consideration of the extras it can of gain since recently.

I liked the nerf of Battle Eye melee, sometimes going safer by killing a ranged caster using melee for much less risk is already a nice extra for the unit, as well, this nerfs Battle Eye from sieging a full HP duel againist berserk units like Slicers and Blade dancers that have no optional melee to avoid being nuked by battle eyes (accuracy nerf will affect at most Battle Eye the more rounds have a berserking death match).

Will suggest implementing the +precision-attack with +magical on Cosmic Eyes melee, this mean they will be 80% hit chance when attacking but 70% hit chance when defending. Unit is already nasty to deal for mele fighters because of its 60% defense everywhere.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.3 - 2 new units!

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.7.3 is out!
eoma_3.7.3_promo.gif
eoma_3.7.3_promo.gif (274.4 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
This update includes 2 new units for Destroyers - "Harbinger" and "Doom Bringer". Both were designed by IPS and you can get them by leveling up Nightmares. They offer higher mobility than Maras and have nocturnal regeneration. This makes them unique tactical assault units excellent for map control especially on large maps. It's worth mentioning that Doom Bringers can summon Dark Portals, so they can literally "bring doom" upon enemies when used right.

Visually they are similar to air avatars. I reused and remixed some of existing resources to save time, so their appearance may be subject to change in the future. They look completely different in comparison to Maras, so if you find this problematic, let me know, and I'll try to redesign their look.

There are also some balance improvements and 3 new unit descriptions for Dwarvish Cadet, Dwarvish Mobile Turret and Technologist.

Full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.7.3
 ### Gameplay
	* added 2 new units for the Destroyers faction: Harbinger and Doom Bringer
 ### Units
	** Dark Blood Alliance:
	 * Mystic: changed freezing spell damage from 4-4 to 5-4
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Cosmic Eye: experience from 100 to 111; cost from 44g to 45g; replaced melee attack precision weapon special with precision (offensive), added the magical weapon special
	** Summoners:
	 * Great Efreeti: reduced the destruction attack damage from 33-1 to 27-1, added 'attack-only' weapon special
 ### Descriptions
	* added a description for Dwarvish Cadet
	* added a description for Dwarvish Mobile Turret
	* added a description for Technologist
 ### Translations
    * updated the Polish translation
    * updated the raw translation file
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
IPS

Post by IPS »

Got this test. The unit is working correctly, just that very different than expected lol, let's explain.

Doom Bringer test.gz
(75.28 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

I didn't consider the possibility of getting traits for this unit (Strong, Quick, etc), but unit shown to be somewhat weaker than expected BUT the traits is that slight difference what helps this unit not be underpowered (-20% arcane resistance for some plague is something that you can take advantage if playing as or againist Doom Calls). Lv3 is stronger than cosmic Eye just in night, also in neutral time the difference isn't that much.

Even, this new line of Nightmares faced the 2 most similar scouts of it, Dark Observers from Tharis and Cosmic Eyes from S.K. First thing to realize is that in terms of stats, Harbinger are stronger than Dark Observers but not by that much. Dark Observers will out number Harbingers and Doom Calls (Tharis will have lv1 and lv2 scout, while Destroyers if going only this patch lv2 and lv3).

Piranias spam in early game will give ownership of ealiest villages considering and a fluid torrent of gold, but at the cost of being imcapable to even fight back for most distant villages as we di see in previous Destroyer's replay. While if going Harbinger's option it's notable that upeekps and less scout will defenetively mean in less gold in early/mid term but giving you a chance to defender most distant villages (well I played poorly againist S.K scouts, eyes are really strong againist Harbinger patch because of -10% arcane resistance).

In functionality, Harbinger/Doom-Calls is exactly a mix of both Dark-Observers and Cosmic Eyes, but with with optional plague, that as shown in game, usually is more attractive killing using melee or vortex... plague being less used than expected.

About counters, any heavy mage counters this new unit. Mages that counters the most this unit are Arcane casters and highly fire resistant casters. Even with physical optional ranged, the unit is at huge disadventage againist these type of units, meaning, this new unit is not an hard counter of anything (maybe piranias? l0l) but instead, a complete unit that will work in most situations, with a fair perfromance. First 15 turns were a really nice experience and a much more entertaining gameplay than usually lineal Destroyer's gameplay even if you run the risk of being hard-countered so hard if not careful. Sad thing that Pirannias can't support that well distant Harbingers and Doom Calls.

I played poorly againist S.K scouts very early on, ressulting in a failed assault and lossing my units that I left to die as distraction bait as I realized they couldn't scape from S.K (dang, that Master of Air did troll me really hard, but I over-expanded too much and AI got the right counters lol). Will consider if viewing lv3 might have decreased arcane resistance or not, but we're talking about Cosmic Eye and Master of Air which are two exceptional scouts and potential counter of Doom Calls.

Zombie UM was a surprise lol, only 25 XP to lv2 if 70% XP modifier that unit with such stats is just... potentially game breaking, mostly if played in any XP modifier than 50% ... wouldn't be a bad idea increasing Zombie Mu's XP a +75% more (36 XP to 62 XP). Original Mu's XP is 75 XP if 100% modifier. Weird that my test detected a such weird event thing lol.

Master of Fire has the same issue as of Efreeit with the 32-1 fire magical, but unlike Efreeti he doesn't has optional physical attack, reason why this attack will not be that hardly nerfed as of Efreeti. Neither the mobility of Efreeti. Not either a popular unit.

Balance Propossals
- Zombie Mu's increase XP to Lv2 Zombie Um.

Master of Fire
- Infernal Flame damage from 32-1 to 29-1
- Sand Movement cost from 2 to 1 (wrongly being pre-buff values)
- Price from 60g to 62g
The price increase is because of sand movement buff, and potential to hard-counter a long palette of units

Grand Kharosian Warbanner
90 base HP with awe2 aura in other tests of mine shows no good ressults in many occations, specially at very small maps.
This unit need nerf. This unit has the most health in lv3 just beaten by Um.
Magic Ward and awe2 aura of this unit give insane magical resistance to this unit.
- Health from 90 to 85
- Arcane resistance from 50% to 40%
This time Kharos got a nerf after a lot of times they got buffed.

Elemental Archer
- My previous report of 15% to 20% fire resistance was wrong, was to cold resistance,
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
IPS

Post by IPS »

Masters's version of the Era allowed me to speed up the balancing process at viewing much more oftenly valuable lv2 + lv3 testing which usually is harder to find games.

After some tests, I concluded some things for Dark Blood Aliance, specially at Master's Era. This is my conclusion.

It might be a good idea adding lv1 wyvern to Dark Blood Aliance, both lv2 wyvern riders and lv2 wyverns are expensive, having too few scouts in early game defenetively a disadventage at very large maps. Even if wyverns are naturally 7 movement and cannot gain quick trait, at least allowing to capture near villges using them and more distant villages the faster lv3 wyvern and wyvern riders. In case there are too much village density, this will boost significantly Dark Blood's early game. If many faction have lv1 scouts (Battle Eye for 21g , Dark Observer for 18g, etc) why cannot Dark Blood have lv1 wyverns that are slower than lv2 pirannias (these can get quick trait) and slightly more cheap than pirannias.

As well, if Dark Blood gets lv1 wyverns in master era, then Summoners can get lv1 cammel riders but not lv1 carpet rider because slow debuff is naturally too OP for an unit with such mobility and low cost because of map's control topic.

In one of my tests, I got pwned by Tharis Storm Spheres, dark blood cannot deal correcly with this unit because all their fire casters are cold weak, Clan leaders cannot do much because of the high cold resistance that storm spheres have. If you get unlucky with physical melee when dealing with Strom Sphere expect having hard times againist Storm Spheres if playing as Dark Blood Aliance. Only way to deal storm spheres in dark blood matchup is buying toads, but in a map of that size, toads reinforcement takes a hell long time to arrive.

Storm Spheres will never shine as much as Cosmic Eye, unless you are fighting againist dark blood.

Most fun facts to catch up was hiding Shadowblades in neutral ToD with Matriarch of Darkness, it's potentially possible to ambush in non night times thanks to this unit synergy lol, still, planning such thing is very diffucult even in fog of war. Another one was using Matriarch of Frost once to cross deep water tile.

Tharis now feels much more smooth to use because of continous nerf (except the nerfed blade/sword dancers).

Lv3 Wyvern Rider must not have Drains, it can cause some problem in most scenarios.

Random map replay 20220314-065619.gz
Tharis gameplay test, just another one.
(71.56 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Random map replay 20220313-213935.gz
Tharis in another test (Era of Heroes), but smaller random map in 3v3, my AI sides played very wrong and it was basically a 2v1 most of the game.

It also shows why I avoid Hydras or other very slow units (mostly because of potentially un-useful in late game because of too slow!)
(75.75 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Balance Propssals

Dark Blood will now have lv1 Wyvern (not riders, only wyverns) in recruit list in Master's version of the era.
Might not be a good idea giving cheap lv1 charge to Master's Dark blood as it will become into a cheap lv2 if well used, unlike Wyvern.

Chaos Wyvern Rider
- Will not have +drains in melee anymore.

Clan Leaders and advancement will have resistances buffs as they're low in health and not that high in damages. Similar buff did happen to Cleric and her advancements.

Clan Leader
Naturally, not as strong as their lv1 version, because it's more support than their lv1.
- Cold resistance from 10% to 20%
- Fire resistance from -20% to -10%

Mystic
- Arcane resistance from 20% to 30%
- Cold resistance from 20% to 30%
They can now counter better both Cosmic Eyes and Storm Spheres.

Chosen of Forest
- Arcane resistance from 20% to 30%
- Cold resistance from 20% to 40%

Corrupted Shaman
Corrupt Shaman is exactly an unit between Red Salamanders and Clan Leader. Will buff cold resistance so they can take less damage againsit storm Spheres.
- Cold resistance from 10% to 20%

Swamp Mage
- Health from 46 to 48
Fire salamanders are still more heat resistant and have another role, so Swamp Mage is a bridge of Clan Leader to a Fire Caster that oddly is cold resistant.

Chosen of Swamp

Black Salamander
- Cold resistance from -10% to 0%

Cosmic Eye
Again, another nerf to this unit, but this time to Reality Warp (secret attack). Similar to to its melee.
- Reality Warp +precision will be replaced to +precision(offensive)
- Reality Warp Will have +lesser-revenge to boost its counter-attacks.
The unit does not need high accuracy reality warp in retaliations, it's just a lv2 scout that is working as fine as many lv3 scouts.

That is a long list of changes, most of them buffs for dark blood, and one important nerf to lv3 wyvern riders.
IPS

Post by IPS »

There is not much relevant this time, just a test of Ancient Dwarves played by me and another player againist AI.

My side being notably unlucky even with proven statistics of damage dealt if cheking RNG stats and still in most of times my plans still working. No cosmetic reloads due of being a multiplayer game and the last 3 units I tried to kill because of being unlucky I just suspended the game.

Not much to mention appart that again, Storm Spheres giving some problems if being unlucky with non magical attacks... which now are detected as underpriced if not potentially overpowered. So I'm viewing more closely this unit in future tests.

I think I will buff Steam Copter again giving their bomb +first-strike special so they can bother more enemy magis or any ranged unit that doesn't have that much terrain defense. Aditionally will consider trying giving some extra ranged damage to Cadets and Soldiers as they lose +skilled special in lv3.

So these will be the balance propossals.
Ancient dwarf MP test.gz
This time a 2vs2 multiplayer againist AI, my ally left to go to bed so I took his side to continue
(66.33 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Balance Propssals

Storm Spheres
- Nocturnal Regeneration from +8 to +7 (same as of Doom Calls)
- Price from 33g to 35g (wrongly , Nocturnal Regeneration was not being counted in their pricing)
And will review more carefully this unit everytime I see it in my future testings.

Gyrocopters
- Bombs will now have +first-strike
This will help this unit to at least deal some extra damage in most situations, specially if positionated in aggresive positions in retaliations to mages.

Dwarvish Cadet
- gun damage from 15-1 to 16-1

Dwarvish Soldier
- gun damage from 19-1 to 21-1
- AMLA XP from 88 (same as of their lv2) to 126 (which is 88 in 70% XP modifier)
- First AMLA will give them +Veteran trait
This option will have higher ranged damage againist units at low terrain defenses.

Will review more carefully Storm Spheres to see if and how this unit has to be adjusted correctly.

Will in another time (maybe soon!) consider balancing all AMLA values for all Lv2 / Lv3 depending their performance and if they have another option that can advance one level higher!

Edit: Got it! a viable propossal for lv3 AMLA units that have another advancement that can lv4. This can of help some players who struggles at managing XP correctly in scenarios and gameplay that doesn't use XP mod, as well not chaning gamemodes if using XP mod. This will as well help these lv2 units that for some reason have another option that can lv4 (Hoplites and Avengers) as consolation prize in case someone for some reason over use these units.

First thing to consider is that units like Dwarvish Soldier that have no specials at all (appart of concealment) will be likely to require less XP to AMLA than others. Second, in no situation spending XP in these is as worthy as leveling up any unit from any levels reason why this buff is not that relevant that all and only is to decrease the weight of a wrong management of XP.

AMLA buff propossals
First, will introduce a custom AMLA trait for certain units of this group, only some of these units can get this trait at specific conditions.
Survivor: Few AMLA units will get this trait and will grant only a significant buff to health of +7 (which is more than twice AMLA bonus) as well of increasing next AMLA value to +20% as normal.

Avenger/Hoplite
- First AMLA already give them +Veteran trait
- A second AMLA will give them +Survivor trait.
With a pair of AMLA this pair of lv2 units can have lv3 HP's even if it's not very worth spending 220 XP (100% XP modifier, not inteligent trait) .

Platinium Warrior
- First AMLA will give him +Veteran trait

Golden Mage
- First AMLA will give him +Veteran trait

Heavy / Balance Summoners / Banisher
- First AMLA will give them +Veteran trait

Great efreeti
- First AMLA will give them +Survivor trait.

Blade Master
- First AMLA will give them +Survivor trait.
This unit is at a limbo , base 8-5 is too high but 7-5 is too low, so will get less buff from AMLA.

Matriarch of Frost
Bug fix.
- AMLA XP value from 300 XP to 150 as its wrongly being the double as intended.

Steam Turbozerker
- AMLA XP from 100 to 126
At the momment the second lv3 unit with this XP value to AMLA, has strong specials but is high risk use. Still I'm nerfing AMLA XP.

Constructor
- AMLA XP from 100 to 111 (the only lv3 unit with lower AMLA XP value than Soldiers and Turbozerkers)
it's not a relevant fighter but more support (still, it's of great use when dealing with fire gods)

Dwarvish Soldier
- Appart of previous buff, as well, first AMLA will give them Veteran Trait too.
Lord_bold

Post by Lord_bold »

Hi I would like to comment a somewhat minor thing. The other day I was playing vs barbarians and kharos as destroyers, and my friend piloting the Barbarians noticed that the orc standard bearer is named just like as the troll one, at least in the spanish version (the one we play by default)- the unit is just called that, it even is the correct one with all the correct attacks and attributes, but they somehow have the same name.
Oh, and I noticed a lot of of barbarian and destroyer units are without description. May I suggest some next time I feel inspired?

Edit: I forgot to include some samples I wrote the other day, maybe you like them:
Mara:
When a Nightmare has consumed enough souls, they may stabilize their chaotic anti-magic energy flux and channel it into an echo of the being it used to be: a Mara. A Mara is an abomination to the spirit realm, as it possesses no will of its own, and is in constant terrible agony by just existing. This tortured soul seeks vengeance on everything the destroyers see fit, making it a force to be reckoned with.

Apocalypse:
An Apocalypse is the lament of a thousand souls contained in a Mara. This spirit has fused its own soul to the ones it has devoured, subjugating them in the process. Being devoured by an Apocalypse is one of the worst fates possible, as you will be a conscious soul inside an eternal tortured existence, or until the Apocalypse is banished from this realm.

Dark Apostle:
The Dark Apostles are the forerunners of extinction, the product of a million souls inside the emptiness of an eternal Nightmare: so many that they can be constantly heard from the outside of the void as a ceaseless whisper. A Dark Apostle is formidable by itself, but the real danger is what they represent: the dreadful force they are spearheading with their whispering.

Death Whisper:
Sometimes, when a Nightmare consumes too many souls, they fail to stabilize their original soul and implode into a being of pure void, fracturing reality around itself into an anti-magic black hole. This cursed spirit is able to destabilize its prey to more easily absorb its vital energy, but is no longer interested in devouring the soul: it just erases it, feeding the corpse to the growing hordes of the Destroyers.

Doom Bringer
These abominations are wounds so large in reality that they generate dark portals to stabilize their mass. They are so unstable that their mere existence is contradictory and a sinful menace to the realm.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.4

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.7.4 is out!

This release includes a fair number of tweaks, a new trait, a special sequence of traits/AMLAs for a few selected units and 5 new descriptions for Destroyers!

The aforementioned 'sequence of traits and AMLAs' is a special gameplay mechanics designed by IPS to make a few capped-at-low-levels units viable against more powerful lvl3-lvl4 enemies. Instead of relying on default AMLA, some units receive the veteran trait first, some others a new survivor trait. After they level up again, they get the default AMLA. More details below:
  • The first AMLA grants the veteran trait (+5HP, +1melee damage), the second AMLA is the default one.
    Applies to: Platinum Warrior, Golden Mage, Heavy Summoner, Neutral Summoner Banisher, Dwarvish Soldier
  • The first AMLA grants the survivor trait (+7HP, +1melee damage), the second AMLA is the default one.
    Applies to: Great Efreeti, Blademaster
  • The first AMLA grants the veteran trait (+5HP, +1melee damage), the second AMLA grants the survivor trait (+7HP), the third AMLA is the default one.
    Applies to: Hoplite, Avenger
I'd like to thank IPS for his outstanding job with balancing the Masters era. I tried to include everything from your feedback, but in case something is missing from the list, let me know.

Also, I'd like to thank Lord_bold for his new descriptions for some Destroyers units. Such additions are always welcome :) Era of Magic definitely needs more new/improved descriptions, so feel free to post more ;) Also I am open for unit renaming ideas.

## Version 3.7.4
 ### Gameplay
	* implemented a 'sequence of AMLAs' to selected units (veteran_trait->amla_default; survivor_trait->amla_default; veteran_trait->survivor_trait->amla_default)
	* added a new trait: survivor (+7HP +20% XP)
	* Darkblood Alliance can now recruit lvl1 Wyverns in Masters era
 ### Units
	** Dark Blood Alliance:
	 * Black Salamander: blade resistance from -10% to 0%
	 * Chaos Wyvern Rider: removed the drains weapon special from the fangs attack
	 * Chosen of Forest: set cold resistance to 40%; set arcane resistance to 30%
	 * Chosen of Marsh: set cold resistance to 30%
	 * Corrupted Shaman: set cold resistance to 20%
	 * Mystic: set cold resistance to 30%; set arcane resistance to 30%
	 * Clan Leader: set cold resistance to 20%; set fire resistance to -10%
	 * Swamp Mage: hitpoints from 46 to 48; cold resistance from 20% to 30%
	** Destroyers:
	 * Zombie Um: changed experience from 36 to 62
	** Kharos:
	 * Elemental Archer: changed fire resistance from 20% to 15%; cold resistance from 15% to 20%
	 * Grand Kharosian Warbanner: hitpoints from 90 to 85; arcane resistance from 50% to 40%
	** Runemasters:
	 * Constructor: experience from 100 to 111
	 * Dwarvish Cadet: thunderstick damage from 15 to 16
	 * Dwarvish Cadet: experience from 88 to 126; thunderstick damage from 19 to 21
	 * Steam Turboserker: experience from 100 to 126
	 * Steamcopter: added the first strike weapon special to the bomb attack
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Cosmic Eye: changed reality warp's precision weapon special to precision (offensive), added lesser revenge
	 * Master of Fire: cost from 60g to 62g; sand movement cost to 1; inferno damage from 32 to 29
	** Tharis:
	 * Storm Sphere: cost from 33g to 35g
 ### Descriptions
	* added new descriptions for Mara, Apocalypse, Dark Apostle, Harbinger, Doom Bringer (by Lord_bold)
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

Great! only thing I did realize recently is that I forgot to mention some cases and why they will be exception to get weaker veteran trait instead of survivor.

This stuff of the Veteran & Survivor trait theorically should benefit at most at 30% XP modifier gameplay, allowing people to have better ressults if going a more variety build instead of only focusing on these that can be lv4.

Orcish Warbanner
I forgot to mention this unit, as well this unit has been pretty much impopular even if it's of great use. More tankier aura unit will help barbarians specially at 30% XP modifier gameplay.
- First AMLa will give them Veteran Trait
- Second AMLA will give them Survivor trait.

Troll Warbanner
Even if troll Sorcerer cannot be lv4 , this unit will be an exception of an unit that can get Survivor trait on second AMLA, because of too un-used. Intention is viewing more Trollwarbanners in matches.
- First AMLA will give them Veteran Trait
- Second AMLA will give them Survivor trait.

Gobling Warbanner
This will be different, will get second AMLA bonus, but instead of massive boost health (which woul make gobbo feel weird if having too much health) will instead have Fanatism trait.
- First AMLA will give them Veteran trait
- Second AMLA will giv ethem Fanatism trait

Cyclops Breaker
Only Fanatism trait, unit might be too powerful even with a second Veteran trait will see if this unit needs a second AMLA trait in tests later on, but not minding it for now.

Cyclops Lord
Well, it has lv4 unit in other patch, but it's one of most solid lv3 in the era, will give instead the weaker Veteran trait in first AMLA.
- First AMLa will give this unit Veteran trait

Cyclops Necromancer
No, even if this unit has a lv4 in other advancement, it's no good idea favoring the cheese that some players have on this unit. Only Veteran trait bonus on first AMLA but no extras!

Minor balance propossals
Dark Wizard price from 39g to 38g
In compesation of storm sphere highered cost and probable future nerfs that this scout unit could of get if tests proves it's being somewhat too strong.

Additional comments

Certain cases of lv2 and lv3 could have slight alterations if their values can provocate issues in 30% XP modifier which is somewhat popular modality used by some.

Regars to one strike attacks, some units were impaired more than others, considering the following aspects
1) Strongest nerf: Efreeti, not its only ranged attack, vairous types of ranged damage (fire and impact), area-of-damage special combined of extreme mobility.
2) Strong nerf: Master of Fire , multiple fire ranged attacks with lots of possibilities to pick, area of damage. Even if this specific attack was highly nerfed, the unit got buffed in sand movement terran recently but now lv1 and lv2 ranged mages will have a chance to deal some damage and kill this unit even if missing their first strike and not being nuked anymore by Infernal Flame attack.
3) Unchanged: There are a lots of cases in this group of units, most of their attacks are single target attack OR in case of sister of light her only ranged attack. Exception to this rule is Air God that for now has unnerfed Storm attacks because they're still highly countered by less expensive cosmic eyes, also in no time I used this unit I did not see broken ressults such as of reality warp from Cosmic Eye. Regards air god ... will of think in something but I'm out of ideas for now.

Edit: Some lv4 balance and Plasma Shot from technocrat being pierce damage instead of fire ranged.

Runemaster
This unit has too high damages at both melee and ranged (considering melee is magical too...)
- melee damage from 17-2 to 15-2

Dwarvish Rune Lord
Gun is sometimes capable to one shot kill certain lv1 mages, let's lower it a bit.
Being 16-3 magical melee already the strongest melee againist units with 50% defense or higher.
- Gun damage from 26-1 to 24-1

Master of Darkness
Ranged damage is known to be somewhat low for lv4 standards, let's make it more useful againist highly magical resistant units.
- NEW ATTACK: Implosion 12-3 impact ranged magical.
- Lv3 and Lv4 are being capable to summon in RPG, thing that might be fixed in soon
Same animations than cold version, is logical thinking that implosion have an impact damage component in certain cases (pressure).
This will be of huge help for this unit to deal highly cold resistant units like orbs, golems and other and specially againist Kirios.

Also its known that more units have increased cold res (saurian mystics, black mage, mobile turret, etc) so Master of Darkness was lossing protagonism as a deadly mage because of a era that gradually had more cold resistances.

This unit can be massive 24-3 damage at night reason why I don't want to higher its main cold attack, instead making certain units less resistant to it thanks to impact variant.

Master of Elements
- Mountain movement cost form 3 to 2
He learnt that basic magic that elementalist and all their ground advancement uses to be 2 MP cost at mountains.

Barbarian King
- Health from 82 to 87
- Impact resistance from 0% to 10%
Doesn't feel that much epic compared to other units like Kirios.
Unit was already nerfed by forcing the unit to use again the double-attack again if using this weapon attack.

Tecnocrat
- Plasma Shot is being pierce damage instead of fire

Rest of other lv4 needs testing as these cases are not obvious if they need adjustment and in case if it's needed how to.
Lord_bold

Post by Lord_bold »

Hi again, tysm for using my descriptions. I for sure will make more whenever I feel inspired.

I was brainstorming the other day with a friend about the issue with Kharos in masters mode, it being that their rooster is heavily consisting of support units that as ips stated even needed be underpriced for the kharos player to play because they dont have access to them in lvl1. This gives them a very sharp and strong start but makes them flop or crush the opponent rather early, making for a punishing and polarizing experience.
This unit level is also harsh on long term fights because kharos are the only ones without the possibility to "invoke", as they dont have magical units. Spamming like the summoners, destroyers, hell even the barbarians with rocs, is just not feasible. So they tend to fall behind on long term fights.
I think I have a solution for this, and is flavourful enough that it works with how invoke shouldn't able to invoke humans:
"Army recruiter": this alternative to the bronze warrior upgrade would be able to invoke squires at a low cost, but only when on villages.
Im not experimented enough to alredy suggest stats but he could maybe have bronze warrior stats.
This is to feel the kharosian encounters in the master mode a bit more like how the kharosian army is portrayed in the campaign, sonething that kind of works for the rest of the civs.
Is this feasible? or a terrible idea?
Sorry for formatting btw, i'm writing this on mobile.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.5

Post by inferno8 »

Did you know...
...some EoMa releases are veeery short-lived? :lol:

Era of Magic 3.7.5 is now available!

In this one the sequence of traits/AMLAs mechanics has been slightly expanded, which means new units can benefit from it. Also, some bugs have been fixed like incorrect damage type for Technocrat's rifle. More details in the changelog or see IPS' post above.

I forgot to mention, that the new traits/AMLAs gameplay mechanics do not work in the campaign! This is intentional - otherwise it would require me to completely rebalance most scenarios in TLU.

@IPS because of the recent changes we now have two inconsistent AMLA systems in EoMa. I am talking about the first implementation of veteran/fanatic traits for most max-lvl2 units in the era. This "first" system grants the trait AND the default AMLA (+3 max HP; +20 max XP), which leads to situations where a unit ends up with +8 max HP after just one level up (+5 +3 HP). The latest "second" system prevents that (for example the first AMLA gives a trait only, the second one gives the default +3HP AMLA buff) but works only for selected units you mentioned earlier. Do you want me to change the first system to match the latest one?
IPS wrote: March 19th, 2022, 11:45 pm Barbarian King
- Health from 82 to 87
- Impact resistance from 0% to 10%
The impact resistance was always 20% not 0% for this unit. I changed only the hitpoints value in 3.7.5.
Lord_bold wrote: March 19th, 2022, 1:01 pm The other day I was playing vs barbarians and kharos as destroyers, and my friend piloting the Barbarians noticed that the orc standard bearer is named just like as the troll one, at least in the spanish version
Unfortunately I don't have an editable version of the Spanish translation so I am unable to fix it, sorry :?
Lord_bold wrote: March 20th, 2022, 10:25 am "Army recruiter": this alternative to the bronze warrior upgrade would be able to invoke squires at a low cost, but only when on villages.
This seems interesting, but may introduce another layer of complexity. I'd like to know IPS opinion on this one first. :hmm:

## Version 3.7.5
 ### Gameplay
	* added new options for the sequence of traits\AMLAs
 ### Units
	** Barbarians:
	 * Barbarian King: hitpoints from 82 to 87
	** Runemasters:
	 * Dwarvish Rune Lord: decreased thunderstick damage from 26 to 24
	 * Runemaster: decreased runic hammer damage from 17-2 to 15-2
	 * Technocrat: fixed incorrect damage type for plasma rifle
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Master of Elements: decreased mountains movement cost to 2
	** Tharis:
	 * Dark Wizard: cost from 39g to 38g
	 * Great Warlock: can no longer summon in RPG mode
	 * Master of Darkness: new attack: implosion 12-3 (ranged magical impact); can no longer summon in RPG mode
 ### Translations
	* updated the EoMa_translation_template
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

inferno8 wrote: March 20th, 2022, 11:24 am
@IPS because of the recent changes we now have two inconsistent AMLA systems in EoMa. I am talking about the first implementation of veteran/fanatic traits for most max-lvl2 units in the era. This "first" system grants the trait AND the default AMLA (+3 max HP; +20 max XP), which leads to situations where a unit ends up with +8 max HP after just one level up (+5 +3 HP). The latest "second" system prevents that (for example the first AMLA gives a trait only, the second one gives the default +3HP AMLA buff) but works only for selected units you mentioned earlier. Do you want me to change the first system to match the latest one?
Mmmm, well, lv2 getting a 8 MAX HP in first AMLA is a decent bonus and more useful in early game is a notable boost of health, also +1 on all damages and +5 HP as first AMLA is fairly strong and can even say stronger than just +8 max HP.

So reviewing the situation getting only the trait in first AMLA is fair enogh, as well, if it could be possible to gain a second AMLA for these exceptions which are wanted the second trait additionally instead of only +3 HP bonus. This would be of help to avoid certain lv2 be "outdated" in 30% XP modifier as I don't want to force people (example in Kharos) spam Kirios Grand Banners for survivavility if talking about clashes at very small maps with tons of golds.

In case it's just possible to add the first AMLA for units, then would increase lv2 XP AMLA's for specific exceptions that would be going to Survivor trait instead of veteran bonus to get more maximun health but requiring more XP to reheal.

Only question is:
veteran is +3 HP and +1 all damages, right?
Survivor is +7 HP and +1 all melee damages, right?

As idea is incresaing diversity and variety of viable plans instead of making the game too lineal/spam-the-meta.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: March 20th, 2022, 11:02 pm Only question is:
EDIT: The veteran trait does the following:
  • +5HP
  • +1 damage to all attacks
The survivor trait does the following:
  • +7HP
  • +20% max experience
You can also advance a Hoplite or an Avenger twice to see the effects in action.
Last edited by inferno8 on March 24th, 2022, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

inferno8 wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 6:18 pm
IPS wrote: March 20th, 2022, 11:02 pm Only question is:
The veteran trait does the following:
  • +5HP
  • +7HP
  • +1 damage to all melee attacks,
  • +25% max experience
You can also advance a Hoplite or an Avenger twice to see the effects in action.
Tested , got this ressult
test.png
test.png (96.69 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Also I've been abscent for almost 3 days, during that time I got more fresh ideas for certain balances and utility to certain units as well of a corrective nerf of UM unit for very very small maps.

Balance Propossals

Um
- Village defense from 60% to 50%
- Price from 65g to 64g
The unit can passively run away of enemies and heal, so it doesn't need at all having full 60% defense at villages, this also decreases a bit the effectiveness of early UM rush in survival maps as well of making Um wall not too overpowered in very very small maps if starting gold is very high.
(maybe to revert this nerf, player is forced to do one AMLA and get a trait that gives this unit back to 60% village defense and 3 HP as normal AMLA)

This nerf is necessary to prevent a bit the early Um rush with lots of XP boosts in XP MOD ressulting in RPG'ing a survival map where it was intended to be played with an army.

Chosen of forest
Considering the damage of this unit is low for a lv4, will consider another small buff, rewarding more players that were skillful enough to level up this unit.
- Snowball (9-5) will now have +first-strike
- Freezing Spell will now have +Magical(offensive) in addition to its +skilled.

Will be testing if also, swamp mage and chosen of swamp need of another buff or not.

Inspired
- Fire resistance from 0% to 10% (same heat resistance than lv1 adepts)

This was a small post this time xD
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: March 24th, 2022, 3:23 am Tested, got this result
Let's check the code:

#define TRAIT_EOMA_VETERAN
    [trait]
        id=eoma_veteran
        male_name= _ "veteran"
        female_name= _ "female^veteran"
        [effect]
            apply_to=attack
            range=melee
            increase_damage=1
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=attack
            range=ranged
            increase_damage=1
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=hitpoints
            increase_total=5
            heal_full=yes
        [/effect]
    [/trait]
#enddef
So the veteran trait works as advertised. Now let's see the survivor trait:

#define TRAIT_EOMA_SURVIVOR
    [trait]
        id=eoma_survivor
        male_name= _ "survivor"
        female_name= _ "female^survivor"
        [effect]
            apply_to=hitpoints
            increase_total=7
            heal_full=yes
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=max_experience
            increase=20%
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=status
            remove=poisoned
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=status
            remove=slowed
        [/effect]
    [/trait]
#enddef
So it's +20% max XP and no damage boost (I wrote +25% and +1 dmg boost - it was a mistake, sorry).

Based on the above let's make this clear:
The veteran trait does the following:
  • +5HP
  • +7HP
  • +20% max experience
Creator of Era of Magic

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

+7HP
+20% max experience
Trait survivor trait's effects should have been what the AMLA default is. :P
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium