Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.1 - 6 new units!

Post by IPS »

wuxiangjinxing wrote: March 5th, 2022, 3:20 pm Bug: both dwarvish cadet and its advancement, dwarvish soldier are lv2 units.

Bug: both dwarvish mobile turret and its advancement, mobile defensive turret, are lv1 units.
Will consider this bug reports to act more quickly with tests before a next release. Dwarvish Soldier being lv2 means it gives less XP when slain as intended, as well of lowered damage when dealing with AwE auras, which can directly affect both unit performance and game flow. I was not checking very small details like unit levels when doing my tests :oops: ... but at least reported some more grave issues that were fixed in less than 24h of the original release.

There have been a lot of new features, lots of modifications, so it's more probable somewhere will not go as expected , so revision is very important. Also progress in EoMa is being extremely fast.
Last edited by IPS on March 5th, 2022, 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.1a - 6 new units!

Post by inferno8 »

wuxiangjinxing wrote: March 5th, 2022, 3:20 pm Bug: both dwarvish cadet and its advancement, dwarvish soldier are lv2 units.

Bug: both dwarvish mobile turret and its advancement, mobile defensive turret, are lv1 units.
Thanks for reporting. This is what happens when you copy & paste stuff without checking. :lol: The 3.7.1a patch is now available :)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
IPS

Post by IPS »

Added Kharos test (3.7.1) Edit: I cannot be sure , but it's maybe in 3.7.1a as I cannot find an update of the era xd

Kharos test
Buff over Elemental and Mystical archer shows good ressults. Altought, this quick victory is product of decens of reloads in specific turns (well, AI being unfairly lucky is not news...). Kharosian Snowball is a fact once they dominate over 50% of the map/villages AND they start to outnumber enemy units in a ratio of [3:2], teleporting quick reinforcement and quick fallbacks if specific field goes wrong is a very powerful Kharos strength.

I would just like to comment lv2 silver warrios feels quite expensive compared to lv3, but, the more silver warriors you own the more quick fallback you can do while healing in any very distant village instantly, meaning that kahros troops even if very wounded can be in almost any place of the map at the same time. Golden warriors feels like a more cost efficient unit for damage dealing (+skilled is a great extra they have in their melee) , but as said, the more unit you own, the more you will be capable to heal.

Lv2 silver warrior spam --> more sustain, more healing.
Lv3 Golden warrior spam --> more damage, less sustain.
If combined both spams, you can decide between different mounts of healing/damage.

Lastly, Kharos feels much more comfortable to use than in my first test, elemental archers being buffed, new role for Heavy Calvary feels better than their old version, lower price for some units works well.

Still, I avoid using certain "slow" units like Brown/Platinium and Shielder's advancement because in a map of this size, they don't fit correctly. Reason why I considered, tested and shown it was correct the re-work over heavy calvary. Mentioned units that I did not use works better in more small maps, but precisely, Kharos was weak before in larger maps and most of that was fixed.

One thing to add, is that I think -1g for silver warrior can suit better, I was forced to spam lv3 golden warrior because of lacking few coins to mix more silver warriors.

- Silver Warrior price from 33g to 32g.
- Elemental Archer fire resistance from 15% to 20% (rest of resistances are correct at both lv2 and lv3).
- Saurian Assasin is being neutral , might be changed to Chaotic aligment as wanted.

Also if you check carefully, combining Elemental/Mystical Archers and Silver/Gold Warriors gives player all damage types of the game (except secret), even if not in heavy amounts of damage (little defficiency of impact, but you can partially fix this using Heavy calvary), is what makes Kharos work at large maps.
Random map replay 20220305-145513.gz
(52.33 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: March 5th, 2022, 7:09 pm I cannot find an update of the era
If you have trouble updating the add-on in-game, you may want to manually download the latest version here:
https://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.16/E ... ic.tar.bz2
Also, BfW 1.16 offers a way to switch add-on versions if necessary. Be sure to select the correct option when downloading (it should already default to the latest version, but I advise you to check this):
Attachments
versions.jpg
versions.jpg (16.32 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

inferno8 wrote: March 5th, 2022, 9:27 pm
IPS wrote: March 5th, 2022, 7:09 pm I cannot find an update of the era
If you have trouble updating the add-on in-game, you may want to manually download the latest version here:
https://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.16/E ... ic.tar.bz2
Also, BfW 1.16 offers a way to switch add-on versions if necessary. Be sure to select the correct option when downloading (it should already default to the latest version, but I advise you to check this):
Didn't know of that feature, good to know. Also I realized I was using 3.7.1a in my test, reason why in add-ons servers it said there was not available update.

Sky Kingdom quick test
Sadly, I will need to change my test, I'm starting to win too often with not much effort in the test... being more familiarized with the era shows blatant ressults compared of my first test replays. But still, there are things to comment out of here.

As I've said earlier, there is not any stronger scout than Cosmic Eye / Battle Eye in the era, but its only handicap is the expensive price (mostly for Costy Cosmic Eyes) as if they were cheaper, they would break game balance so easily. Only conclusion is that for almost anything, being outnumbered by cosmic eye is sure death. Melee component of the unit when in hordes of Flying eyes is extremely powerful !!! (not saying that lv2 cosmic eye can defeat tharis sword dancer with like 85-95% win rate... because of hard-counter +precion melee).

Purchased a single Sculptor with exceptionally nice ressults! , will consider using more this unit as its slow component is physical Impact type as well of higher accuracy in early strikes than Black Mage. This time, I got the right counter for Matriarch of Emptyness. Aswell, tested the Shadow Magi as I did know that they can be useful to deal againist Matriarch of emptyness, and well even if their damage is not individually strong they can do an exceptional task by rehealing in melee specially againist already slowed units!

Mu's can be boosted to 2-12 damage with a Golden Mage lv3 leadership aura, this fact can make Mu unit extremely strong and useful even in Master version of EoMa , but consider that Golden Mage is worth 66g and that will be overpriced unless you play with large mounts of gold but it might be worth in right situations.

Will consider decreasing accuracy of lv1 battle eyes melee.

Battle Eye
- Melee will now be +Magical instead of +Precision.
This is extremely strong specially againist swift foots that usually are -20% or -30% blade resistance. Lv1 Blade dancer and Slicers will thanks this nerf.
Melee Damage output will now be 1/8 less but evaluated in accuracy.
This also will balance standard EoMa in an aspect it was not studied earlier.

Random map replay 20220305-173120.gz
(65.39 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Sinmaster93

Post by Sinmaster93 »

Hi! Have not played Wesnoth in a very long time and I just recently redownloaded the game on my PC to get back into it. Saw this post as I was scrolling on the forums and it looks amazing! Have been trying to figure out how to get it but have been unsuccessful :( need help on the steps I need to take to get this one downloaded please. Currently have version 1.17.1 of Wesnoth downloaded
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Sinmaster93 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 1:11 am Currently have version 1.17.1 of Wesnoth downloaded
You probably want to download version 1.16.2 - versions with an odd number in the second component (1.17, 1.15, etc.) are development versions, while versions with an even number (1.16, 1.14, etc.) are stable versions. If you run version 1.16 then the Era of Magic should show up in the list of add-ons.
IPS

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7 - 6 new units!

Post by IPS »

Quick Summoners test 1.gz
Quick replay of Summoners, it tests how powerful are Lv2 carpet riders followed with Air Avatars, I just suspended the game after I lost an almost leveling up Air Avatar few XP before its lv3
(61.52 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
In this replay, we can mire the power of Air Avatar and Cartpet Riders worthyness, AI is not very smary but is pretty much lucky (mostly when you're highly outnumbered :| ) . Not much to mention from this game, decreased starting gold and income for my side as test allows me to think more my moves instead of having too much golds which allowed me to win trying almost anything.

Random map replay 20220306-020109.gz
This second replay was more useful to me to review stuff.
(75.01 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
This another, I realized that Dimentional Gates II are defenetively underpriced! cheap lv2 magical unit with a single kill. Unlike Dimensional Gate I, this second lv1 variant is not slow at all. It also maintains lower upkeep advantage as you can actually purchase 2 of these gates with the gold of a single lv2 unit (in case of expensive Ifreeti). So these gates will get priced higher.

Carpet Master's fire resistance removal nerf seems to not be a problem for this unit, it shows unit can work very well againist fire users like Rune Artists, Red Salamander and Mechanical Dragons. They really didn't need the extra 10% fire resistance they did have.

Summoners can also summon lv1 cheaper rhamis & elementals with their summoners's summon, reason why their masters's era version is fine.

New dwarf machines, feels fair when dealing againist them. Highly vulnerable to impact is a thing I could use in this game in my favour (summoners usually lack of some impact attack in most builds). Lv2 lowered pierce resistance is notable, but the extra fire/cold ressistance this unit has does as well. This unit will help dwarf mech to not be countered by fire attack spamming like Maras, Fire Avatar/God or similar units. Comenting about fire resistance, the buff of Rune Adept advancament of their fire resistance shows very possitive ressults as well of their buffed cold attacks.

I think optional advancement of stridding machines needs no change as they're working correctly as intented.

Balance resume:
- Dimensional Gate II price from 21g to 27g
This unit can lead up to a massive -17g discount of more expensive Lv2 as Ifreeti and Great Jinn are (+1g discount per turn this unit was lv1 before the kill) or well, leveled up to something that player needs urgently as much as another water elemental for quick extra healer. Even if summoners is a faction that is not cheap at all in master's version, it's not correct pricing DG II too cheap as it's intended the player runs a risk the more gates they purchase.

- Water Avatar price from 32g to 31g (just to decrease the impact of DG II nerf)

- Steamcopter fire resistance from -20% to -10%
I think this unit can be buffed once again, to at least to be less hard-countered by the same fire users that are as well highly resistant to fire.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.1 - 6 new units!

Post by Ravana »

inferno8 wrote: March 5th, 2022, 8:55 am A few months ago Ravana and I tried to make the fight and kill experience in mutlitarget attack as much consistent as possible, but this task probably hasn't been finished yet. I'll take a look at it next time. EDIT: I just tested that new shockwave attack against lvl1 units and it works fine for me (there is no fight xp though, but this is intentional - only kill xp is given).
I tried to start with that topic yesterday, but https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/6551 took away interest.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Ravana wrote: March 6th, 2022, 3:39 pm I tried to start with that topic yesterday, but https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/6551 took away interest.
Thanks for reporting that :) Having unit tests work with add-ons would be great. Speaking of multitarget attacks, this week I am going to take a closer look at that issue on github. I listed some redundant abilities there which need to be removed anyway.

@IPS: I am going to release the next EoMa version this Friday, so if you find more things that need to be balanced, let me know. I am really happy with our collaboration and progress so far! ;) There's been a lot of activity in this topic for the past few weeks - like in the good ol' times. I'd like to thank wuxiangjinxing and lord_bold too for being involved in the discussion :D Thanks to all of you EoMa keeps getting better and better! :)
Creator of Era of Magic

Sinmaster93

Post by Sinmaster93 »

gnombat wrote: March 6th, 2022, 2:27 am
Sinmaster93 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 1:11 am Currently have version 1.17.1 of Wesnoth downloaded
You probably want to download version 1.16.2 - versions with an odd number in the second component (1.17, 1.15, etc.) are development versions, while versions with an even number (1.16, 1.14, etc.) are stable versions. If you run version 1.16 then the Era of Magic should show up in the list of add-ons.
Thank you very much! Just got it :D
IPS

Post by IPS »

This is a quick replay of another build of Tharis for Masters era, that instead of using Matriarch of emptyness it uses Matriarch of Cold.

Mathematically it's correct the ranged damage Matriarch of cold is dealing, specially that in specific cases her "low" lv2 damage 10-3 but with cold resistance penetration can be porportionally higher in specific cases over of more powerful units like Great Wizard (Units that are 60% cold resistant with Matriarch's Aura become 35% which is a difference from 40% damage taken to 65% , which is more than 1/2 extra!)

Still, unit is not perfoming as well as the more costy Matriarch of Emptyness's which passively regenerates all time, Matriarch of Darkness can still regen just in night but we can realize the differences... Matriarch of Cold depends of her ranged tu sustain, which will not heal her if dealing with machines, magicals or undead. Unit as tested, cannot gain benefits from other Matriarch of Frost aura. Another negative aspect of this advancement is that it doesn't has optional slowing ranged as the other 2 options or even the lv2 one, reason it feels overpriced for its stats and benefits.

Changing water tiles to frozen tiles is favorable for tharis faction as they have 2 movement cost on frozen terrain while 3 on water tiles (still same terrain defense). Will consider buffing this viewing the deficiencies this patch has.

Orbs not very strong, but functional and viable because the fast they can level up.
Tharis quick replay.gz
(71.56 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Not much relevant, Tharis do not enjoy of teleportation or summoning skills, will consider adding summoning to some few units for Tharis army.
Will list some changes for Tharis and other factions.

Balance Changes
- Golden Mage impact resistance from 15% to 25% (it's having less impact armor than his lv1 and lv2)
- Dwarvish Cadet and Dwarvish Soldiers are having 30% mountain defense instead of 70% mountain defense, this might be fixed in soon!
- Technologist shock-grenade accuracy increased from +marksman to +magic-offensive.
- Technocrate shock-greanade damage from 11-2 to 12-2
As tested, dazzle debuff will not help units with marksman bonus over units that naturally are 50% or higher defense. Reason why shock-grenades are buffed

Matriarch of Frost
- Health from 53 to 55
- NEW MELEE ATTACK: Spear 10-2 cold melee (wanted to 11-2 , but forgot her frost aura XD)
- Price from 60g to 58g
Will be viewing the performance of this unit in future updates.
New attack means the unit will have all their old attacks and additionally the new mentioned attack with no alterations of older attacks.

Great Warlock
Allowing the unit to summon: Dark Observer for a price of 18g (normal cost)

Master of Darkness
Allowing the unit to summon:
- Dark Observer for ap rice of 16g (2g disscount)
- Hydra for a price of 18g (2g disscount)

Dark Assasin
Quite much un-used by me, will buff health.
- Health from 36 to 38
- Knives (backstab) will now have +first-strike (same for lv3)
First-strike melee will help at very specific situations, like lv3 mobile defense device, Kirios, Saurian Pikeman and few other options.

Will be viewing if there is more stuff to add in soon.

Actual version of optional upcoming advancement of Nightmares to Death Whispers and Doom Calls.
Spoiler:
IPS

Post by IPS »

Destroyer quick test.gz
Showing some deficiencies at map control, unlike the replay of Tharis and Rune Master with same starting gold conditions.
(56.59 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Defenetively, Destroyers have deficiency in distant far village map control. I crushed the Kharos Army which was the most near of my keep, and with actual situation I was clearly going to win, but I skipped the rest of the match as winning the remaining game would be a boring process. Lowered price of lv2 Pirannia is what made the difference of not lossing this game.

There will be high income even with few villages because of lower upkeep by going Pirannias but as huge handicap you will not be capable to fight for distant villages againsit other scouts. As well, if pirannia is very wounded and needs to fallback, most scouts are faster than it and will chase it with no problem, which only means in a dead pirannia.

Destroyers will work fine and correct if they have to expand just in one direction (your opponent), but it will not work that good if you have to split forces to control different areas of a larger map as of test of random map 60x55, where scouts can't fight back higher tier scouts which are as well mechanical/magical beings. Maras are too slow to be considered scout and will not complish that role, reason why I desgined a more ranged and mobile version for earlier map control at more distant places which will give Destroyer's army some debuffing and a bit of physical (impact ranged).

Lv2 Atokpi looks a bit overpriced, Brown warrior is a more solid unit in Kharos army and in smaller maps they're potent unit. Atokpi is just more mobile and has some decent ranged, but it's not worth costing 3g more than brown warrior...

Destroyers lacking of a good low price unit to spam for a decent amount, I did even avoid lv2 atokpi in build because other stuff were more attractive even if being more expensive. So in conclusion of this, lv2 Atokpis will get priced lower. Will do some repricement of lv2 Destroyers.

Good to realize that Cyclops Necromancer damages feels correct. There was no defiency of ranged damage with older values ... so it will not be any longer a full replacement of Lv2 Greater Cyclops Skeleton. It's intended to have a differnet role and not be a full replacement.Still in case of extreme need, dagger has +1 strike for one extra attempt of plague using melee.

Balance propossal
- Atokpi Samurai price from 31g to 29g
- Greater Cyclops Skeleton price from 32g to 31g
- Pirania Mounstrosa rename to Pirania and price from 28g to 27g
Lower movement, lv1 stats (if not counting drain special) and only the low-upkeep feature and hit-run(1).
- Mara price from 35g to 34g

Destroyers have a long and diverse spectrum of lv2 of different tiers to lv3 units even without upcoming units. But their gameplay is actually too lineal and it's proven that have certain deficiencys at larger maps mostly when they have to split in different armies.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.2 - 6 new units!

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: March 7th, 2022, 8:03 pm - Dwarvish Cadet and Dwarvish Soldiers are having 30% mountain defense instead of 70% mountain defense, this might be fixed in soon!
Yeah, this is a serious overlook on my part, that's why I decided to release a patch just now.

Era of Magic 3.7.2 is now available.
This version includes the recent feedback and some minor tweaks. Full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.7.2
 ### Units
	** Dark Blood Alliance:
	 * Saurian Assassin: changed alignment to chaotic
	** Destroyers:
	 * Atokpi Samurai: cost from 31g to 29g
	 * Greater Cyclops Skeleton: cost from 32g to 31g
	 * Mara: cost from 35g to 34g
	 * Pirania Monstruosa: cost from 28g to 27g
	** Kharos:
	 * Silver Warrior: cost from 33g to 32g
	** Runemasters:
	 * Dwarvish Cadet: fixed incorrect mountains defense values
	 * Dwarvish Soldier: fixed incorrect mountains defense values
	 * Steamcopter: fire resistance from -20% to -10%
	 * Technologist: the shock grenade got 'magical (offensive)' weapon special
	 * Technocrat: increased the shock grenade's damage from 11-2 to 12-2
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Battle Eye: replaced the 'precision' weapon special with 'magical' for the melee attack
	 * Golden Mage: impact resistance from 15% to 25%
	** Summoners:
	 * Dimensional Gate II: cost from 21g to 27g
	 * Water Avatar: cost from 32g to 31g
	** Tharis:
	 * Dark Assassin: added the first strike weapon special for the 6-2 melee attack
	 * Shadowblade: added the first strike weapon special for the 10-2 melee attack
	 * Great Warlock: added the 'Summon Dark Observer' ability (cost 18g)
	 * Master of Darkness: added the 'Summon Dark Observer' ability (cost 16g)
	 * Matriarch of Darkness: hitpoints from 53 to 55; cost from 60g to 58g; added a new melee attack: 'frozen spear' (10-2 cold)
 ### Code
	* replaced deprecated code in the stun weapon special
	* renamed EoMa_raw_translation_file.po to EoMa_translation_template.pot
 ### Translations
	* updated the EoMa_translation_template.pot
	* updated translators_readme.txt
@IPS:
Elemental Archer already has 20% fire resistance, so I skipped that change.
I decided not to allow Master of Darkness summon hydras. Let's stick with Dark Observers as the only summon option for now and see how it plays out.
Also, I didn't change Pirania Monstruosa's name to Pirania as it sounds too generic in my opinion and doesn't reflect the unit's characteristics.

For the next version I plan the implementation of the previously mentioned 2 new units for Destroyers, so stay tuned.
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.7.2 - 6 new units!

Post by IPS »

This test concers Dark Blood Aliance and random AI opponent factions Edit: (made in 3.7.1a version)

First I could realize is that Dark Blood Aliance is highly affected by fire casters like Ifreeti and Fire God, yet I'm not sure if I should increase saurians fire resistances (I guess not a good idea at all due thier massive mobility...). Piranias can only counter Wyverns Rider as scouts, finally found something important that Piranias can counter lol.

Not much to realize, I think I will increase mystic's slowing ranged damage a bit and hard nerfing Lv3 Efreeti Destruction attack because IMPORTANT reasons.

I like how spammable are Saurian Pikemen, helps not being outnumbered if considering an expensive build like wyvern's for large maps.

Seems I'm detecting more correctly balance irregularities with the lowered starting gold and -2 income as map setting by needing to do at least an effort to can win the game.
Saurians test.gz
(70.95 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Balance Propossals:

Great Efreeti
- Destruction damage from 33-1 to 27-1 and will now have special +Attack-only
Three reasons to this huge nerf:
1) Being unlucky when missing first slow attack is an absurd unfair handicap. Most common situation of all 3 cases.
2) Some lv1 and lv2 casters can be one shoot killed by this attack, meaning they're almost useless againist this unit which is even more unfair than first case.
3) Area of Damage, even with only 2 enemies units is worth it, combined of +magical special...

This unit is brutally strong, owning a lv3 fire magical ranged and an optional strong physical impact ranged magical, meaning it will not be countered by an highly fire resistant unit, as well of being capable to counter more units.
This nerf was important to realize.

Mystic
- Freezing spelll damage from 4-4 to 5-4
This attack is lv1 damage but with +slows and -10% hit chance than +magical. This buff is fair.
Void mage's is 4-5 +slows +magical, but he can't heal or regenerate lol.