Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.5

Post by IPS »

Been thinking on some balance suggestions, but it's not even yet confirmed by myself as I need of more testing to aprove it or not.

I just started to play To Lands Uknown in Mystic Jinn difficulty (badass mode) and well, balance seems to be improved significantly. Still there are some released ideas that yet need more testing to see if they're correct.

Sky Kingdom

Elementalists a new bonus attack *Ice-shards* pierce 3-4 +Skilled
Realized that sometimes leveling them is quite difficult because +Skilled and 3 strikes misses somewhat often lol. Also Sky Kingdom does not have Physical Ranged attack damage in lv1. All lv2 has secondary attack with +magical and more strikes than damage, why lv1 elementalist would be the exception?

Water Mage / Water Master
Still, one of most used, vital and more over-used units in the game (whole wesnoth, EVEN AGELESS), another nerf.
- Impact resistances to 0%
(Remember Pyromancer got potent buffs very recently, and that this unit exists too!)

- Water Master regen to +4 (he can still cure himself from poison, but he had absurd RPG potential and sometimes huge potential to solo a lv1 army thanks to his spells)

Subversive mage
- Staff +1 melee damage
In order to be blatant that they are more cost efficient in terms of damage than elementalist & with an extra of slowing.
Not the most cost effiicient magi in the era, but, one that has bonus slowing ranged for almost no fee.

Battle Mage
- Impact resistance from 10% to 20%
-2 less XP to advance to lv2.
- Warmage impact res from 15% to 20%

(Need to know community opinion's about the changes below for Battle mage, sincerely I consider this just an extra option)
- Unit cost from 20g to 18g
- Ranged would +Magical-attack only , while in defense they would use a -1 DMG no special ranged
Basically , it's a potential nerf of Battle Mage ranged at the cost of being cheaper.
(which also suits better unit's description about being mediocre spellcasters)

New unit, in case the adjusted 18g version Battlemage gets approved.
Talented Battle Mage, unreciutrable in both EoMa and EoMa Heroes eras, but, this unit would be the same battle mage without the ranged nerfs and with their actual cost of 20g (maybe in lands to unknown) AI could recruit both versions of battle mages , why not lol.

Sorcerer & Master Mage
- Arcane resistance from 20% to 30%
- Fire/Cold resistance from 15% to 20% (same as lv3 , and hidden face/Mu)
This line instead of getting +10% to impact resistance, will get the bonus in arcane resistance.

Guru of Magic adjustments
- Melee adjusted to Mystic Touch which will be Secret attack type (anti-shield) and 9-2 instead. (In RPG will be left unchanged from 11-2 arcane magical)
- Secret resistance from 10% to 15% to bonus be more notable.
- Both fungus and Cave defenses to 40% instead of lower.
- Both fungus and Cave movement costs to 2 instead of 3.

I'm still viewing another options for units for other factions, as said. Will edit this post for more (ideas listing) and some possible balance adjustments.

Barbarians

Troll War banner
Actually quite underpowered, will help this unit to perform better.
- Banner melee will now have +First-strike
- Flame Blast damage from 6-3 to 6-4

Extra looking!!
Will consider AMLA menus for units with no lv3 and with no lv4 to help the players to make wastement of XP be less frequent in the era. Will be talking about that soon, and getting more ideas depending specific cases. This would help the players to not be forced to use XP mod to avoid XP wastement, even if AMLA advancement menus will not be as XP efficient than leveling units, it will help less XP be wasted from over-using too strong units or if killing by accident.

Will take an extensive look into that, and give personalized AMLA menus for specific cases. RPG will not have any of these menues!!! except for VERY SPECIFIC cases like of Balance/Heavy summoner just because they rivalice with a Lv4 Grand Summoner path !!!
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IPS wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm (Need to know community opinion's about the changes below for Battle mage, sincerely I consider this just an extra option)
- Unit cost from 20g to 18g
- Ranged would +Magical-attack only , while in defense they would use a -1 DMG no special ranged
Basically , it's a potential nerf of Battle Mage ranged at the cost of being cheaper.

New unit, in case the adjusted 18g version Battlemage gets approved.
Talented Battle Mage, unreciutrable in both EoMa and EoMa Heroes eras, but, this unit would be the same battle mage without the ranged nerfs and with their actual cost of 20g (maybe in lands to unknown) AI could recruit both versions of battle mages , why not lol.
Seems unnecessary to be honest. Battlemage's stats are relatively fine as they are (sacrificing extra cost for better survivability/decent melee damage). In comparison to elementalist, it's an fairly decent sidegrade. Plus, giving a defense nerf to a mage whose entire point is being tankier than most other magi is just counterintuitive. The faction doesn't need more cheap mages, elementalist and subversive mage already exist
IPS wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm (which also suits better unit's description about being mediocre spellcasters)
18 total ranged damage is already the norm for lvl1 sky kingdom mages. Also, their description doesn't really imply that they should be so signficantly worse in ranged compared to other magi (elementalist description posted for comparison):

Battle Magi are the novice magic users with fairly good physical fitness. These dagger-carrying troops form the backbone of the Sky Kingdom infantry, alongside Hidden Faces. Given enough experience, such novices can either keep advancing as versatile infantry troops, joining the ranks of War Magi, or heavily devote themselves into advanced study of combat spells at the expense of physical training, becoming Sorcerers.

While Elementalists aren’t exactly great combatants compared to other Sky Kingdom magi, they are quick learners, being able to become quite powerful quite quickly by choosing to learn one of the Elemental Paths. They know a few basic spells of each element, including shooting somewhat weak magical missiles, healing minor wounds with water magic, as well as some non-combat spells.

As for the other changes, those sound reasonable.

EDIT: the reduced xp/extra impact res ideas are alright btw, I just really don't like the reduced cost + nerfed ranged idea
IPS

Post by IPS »

Yup, I wasn't that sure about battle magi rework, reason why I posted it as an extra instead of an attempt of an official change. At a point I even asked to regular users what they think about that idea instead of trying to officializate it.

Impact resistances buffs around sky kingdom army is to decrease difficulty of the faction at dealing heavy units with tons of bulk like Cyclops, Toads and Golems, as Sky Kingdom is not at all very bulky faction and units with tons of health actually don't even need any magical resistance to tank well.

Saw a lot of Barbarian players ignoring the base 15g barbarian unit because of Cyclop spam... that's another way to reward better who builds more strategically AND spam less brute force. Might see new nerfed lv1 roc performance, the unit was abused a lot because of insanely cost efficient and complete unit, it's still too cheap for a scout that is 5-4 damage, if needed could of increase pierce weakness to a -20% if tests shows me the unit needs that nerf.

Also while testing, I personally I ignore the very expensive battle magi in randomly generated maps because well, price matters a lot in large maps. Still, in survival maps things might be different. Still, I haven't yet tested the other factions to can judge for a balance propossal right now, been busy recently.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IPS wrote: November 28th, 2021, 7:19 am Impact resistances buffs around sky kingdom army is to decrease difficulty of the faction at dealing heavy units with tons of bulk like Cyclops, Toads and Golems, as Sky Kingdom is not at all very bulky faction and units with tons of health actually don't even need any magical resistance to tank well.

Also while testing, I personally I ignore the very expensive battle magi in randomly generated maps because well, price matters a lot in large maps. Still, in survival maps things might be different. Still, I haven't yet tested the other factions to can judge for a balance propossal right now, been busy recently.
The impact res. buff + exp buff should be good enough to make the battle mage viable for now
IPS

Post by IPS »

Sky Kingdom Testing
Random map replay 20211120-174539.gz
(115.11 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Not much to mention at all, gameplay of Sky Kingdom is much more smooth with the recent buffs on Elementalists and Subversive mages. Thing I realized is that of previsouly suggested only missing changes were 2 on this faction.

- Elementalists actually are Mountain movement cost 3 instead of 2 (unlike all their level ups)
- Lv1 battle eye is not added to recruit list. Map control is a very important element in the game, even if lv1 battle eye is less cost efficient than Lv0 cosmic eye, one or two of them allow a player to have a better map control in early game, which means in better control of villages and more upcoming gold.

That appart of more new and fresh buffs to some Sky Kingdom units that I gift few days ago.

Tharis Testing
Random map replay 20211203-151558.gz
(115.81 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
I was very right that Blade Dancer needed a nerf (-1 movement and 10% worse impact resistance), they still were so dominant in map control. I can complain about them leveling up too fast, with inteligent trait only 3 lv1 kills and already lv2, which is very easy to archieve in PVP if skillful. Will suggest increasing blade dancer XP to lv2. Hydras had the opposite problem, leveling Hydras is not worth it as 41 XP in 70% XP modifier is a way too much, even avoiding leveling them because the profit is not worth it at all. Concluded in these suggestions after this game.

- Blade Dancer XP from 42 to 46 (they can use ranged to farm XP)
- Hydra XP from 58 to 54

Shadow Blade
I avoided using their Lv1 in large random test, as poison is not the best strategy when outnumbered. Still, they feel quite weak (Specially in lv3) , but hit & run special is so strong special if well used. Will buff the non backstab attack so it can at least be stronger than other option with always backstab.
- Knives melee damage from 9-3 to 8-4 (non special attack)
This would lead that this unit has more damage in counter attack.

Summoners
Just realized that some units are too arcane resistant , at situations that proved it's not balanced at all.

Dimensional Gate
- Arcane resistance from 40% to 30%

Air Elemental / Avatar / God
- Arcane resistance from 65% to 60%

Fire Elemental & Avatars
They're meta, they can have costless slight nerf in forest terrain defense.
Melee magical fighters that also have illuminate aura for summoners and carpet riders.
- Forest defense from 50% to 40%
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.5.1

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.5.1 is out!

This release includes many interesting balance changes proposed by Era of Magic's co-creator IPS (thanks!). It may have a serious impact for MP players because the Sky Kingdom faction can now recruit lvl1 Battle Eyes to achieve better map control. Also Elementalists got a new ranged attack, so be sure to check it out.

This update is not required to play the latest version of TLU 3.4.
The 3.5.1a version is required to play TLU 3.4 now. Otherwise you'll get lua errors playing previous 3.5.1

Full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.5.1
 ### Units
	** Barbarians:
	 * Troll Warbanner: melee attack has 'first strike' special now; added +1 strike for the ranged attack
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Battle Eye: the unit is now recruitable in the default gampeplay mode
	 * Battlemage: reduced experience from 54 to 52; increased impact resistance by 10%
	 * Elementalist: changed mountains movement costs from 3 to 2; added a new ranged pierce attack
	 * Guru: increased secret resistance to 15%; changed cave defense to 40%; changed fungus defense to 40%; change cave movement cost to 2; change fungus movements cost to 2; the 'mystic touch' melee attack deals secret damage type, damage decreased from 11 to 9 (does not apply to the rpg variant)
	 * Hydromancer: decreased impact resistance to 0
	 * Master of Water: decreased impact resistance to 0, decreased the amount of regenerationton to +4 instead of +8
	 * Mastermage: increased arcane resistance from 20% to 30%
	 * Sorcerer: fire and cold resistances from 15% to 20%, increased arcane resistance from 20% to 30%
	 * Subversive Mage: melee damage from 7-1 to 8-1
	 * War Mage: impact resistance from 15% to 20%
	** Summoners:
	 * Air Elemental: decreased arcane resistance from 65% to 60%
	 * Air Avatar: decreased arcane resistance from 65% to 60%
	 * Air Avatar: decreased arcane resistance from 65% to 60%
	 * Dimensional Gate: decreased arcane resistance from 40% to 30%
	** Tharis: 
	 * Bladedancer: increased experience from 42 to 46
	 * Shadowblade: changed the second 'metal claws' melee attack damage from 9-3 to 8-4
	 * Hydra: decreased experience from 58 to 54
Last edited by inferno8 on December 11th, 2021, 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Got this error when I was playing TLU
Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 2.33.02 AM.png
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hmm, interesting - it works for me. There was an error like this one in the past, but it was fixed a few months ago. Are you sure you have the most recent versions of EoMa (3.5.1), TLU (3.4) and BfW (1.16.1)?
Creator of Era of Magic

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

inferno8 wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:02 pm Hmm, interesting - it works for me. There was an error like this one in the past, but it was fixed a few months ago. Are you sure you have the most recent versions of EoMa (3.5.1), TLU (3.4) and BfW (1.16.1)?
Yep. Just checked. All recent versions.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It probably needs mulitplayer check with wesnoth.scenario.type before checking era. It is documented to not work without, though so far it has been working.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Ravana wrote: December 11th, 2021, 9:46 am It probably needs mulitplayer check with wesnoth.scenario.type before checking era. It is documented to not work without, though so far it has been working.
I don't get it. This error is being spammed on my screen when I playing through TLU 3.4.0, which is SP-mode. Should I take the issue there? I brought it here since the error message was specifically saying EoMa.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Yup, there was a missing MP check for the cleave weapon special. I gave it a different approach though, using just #ifdef MULTIPLAYER for the filter, which may not be the best solution, but at least there are no lua errors in TLU.

Fixed for Era of Magic 3.5.1a, so I advise everyone to redownload that latest version of the add-on. Thanks for reporting @Lord-Knightmare ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

Lord_bold

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.5.1a

Post by Lord_bold »

Hi, I have been extensively playing Era of Magic for the last few months, the "Masters and slaves" version, as I like powerful units. It had been a blast but I wanted to give you some feedback:

-The fallen cyclops king's summon ability seems to be broken. It has only been able to summon piraflys and nightmare, even when choosing other options like bone beasts.

-When being used on a campaign, It would seem that the cyclops necromancer's auto-summoning is also sometimes broken. It will stop summoning before reaching the 4 zombies it should summon. I am unsure if this is because the summoned zombies from before are in the recall pool. Also some of the zombies the necromancer makes seem to be unfinished- on of them has no attacks whatsoever. Funny enough, the very same zombie appears on the EOM's zombie survival scenario with a quite powerful magic ranged attack.

-For some reason, sometimes, the guru will summon level 2 golems sometimes . I have had this happen in 2 different games, and never again. I don't understand why that happened but maybe you do so I still would like to report it.

-"Bone collector" does not seem to work? It should work like feeding right? I got a bone beast up to moloch and didn't see their max hp change.

Now to my personal opinions:

-The ability "swallow" should probably be reworded in the description. As of now, It says it adds the number to their current hp. This could lead to confusion (or at least I was confused by it) as I understood that if it was fully healed, the hp would be gained on top, like a mega feeding.

- The "perfect drone" is recruitable in "masters and slaves", and is the most powerful unit there is. This abomination will most of the times skip the battlefield as a whole and go for the leader. It feels extremely unfair to play against, mainly because of their berserk ability. I understand that this is a very powerful unit, and an expensive one too, but the dwarves rarely have to even make any other unit, at least in this mode. I believe his berserk should be at the very least reduced, or they should lose some of their extreme mobility. I have had this thing kill things it should not kill by itself, like a fully healed Um in a castle.

-The regular drone is hard to justify when the units that upgrade it need to be level 4 or more. While its true that on a vacuum they have infinite potential (and even become stronger than the perfect drones!) this takes way too much money and effort to do. I feel like at least some of the traits, like giving the berserk programming and the damage runes should be accesible for level 2 units. There are also some traits the perfect drone has that are not obtaniable to your everyday drone, like awe, that could probably be implemented by already existing troops, maybe the runemaster.

-Some of the on-death effects level 4 units have are of rather low impact, specially for dwarvish and destroyer units, specifically for the mechanical dragon, the flying fortress and the moloch. They are impressive visually, and flavourful, but the units left behind are severely crippled and damaged. The parachute dwarf should probably be spawned after the ship crashes after all. The bone beasts left behind by the moloch are also left very damaged, and I am unsure why.

- The Kharos unit have all consistently underperformed on my games of masters and slaves. I can only say that their level 4 units are a bit underpowered compared to their counterparts. I have been able to beat them with every other faction consistently. While its interesting they can actually recruit Kirios (as they are a level 4 unit. Wait, is this a bug?) I believe the Kirios are not very good and very situational. I know that it is a very touchy unit, as they are practically immune to arcane and really tough against all sorts of magic, but I believe they need an extra quirk to compete with their counterparts. Maybe they could illuminate? After all, as Mehir said, they are practically sunflowers.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.5.1a

Post by Atreides »

Lord_bold wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:08 pm -The ability "swallow" should probably be reworded in the description. As of now, It says it adds the number to their current hp. This could lead to confusion (or at least I was confused by it) as I understood that if it was fully healed, the hp would be gained on top, like a mega feeding.
I _heartily_ second that opinion! The exact same thing happened to me. The desc. convinced me that I should be gaining HP, not healing. Drove me nuts.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.5.2

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.5.2 is now available!

This patch fixes a few bugs related to some abilities. The most notable change in this release is the complete rework of the soul catcher ability. Now it is impossible to transform a dimensional gate into a walking unit on an unwalkable terrain. Also, I fixed a bug where the ability sometimes worked on mechanical units.
Thanks to amazing feedback from Konrad2 I've managed to fix many typos in descriptions of various units. Now reading these should be a more pleasant experience.
And lastly all units created via effects of 'parachute' and 'split' abilities, are no longer crippled.

I'd like to thank Lord_bold for his recent feedback. The patch is based mostly on your findings, so thanks! :)

Era of Magic 3.5.2 is the last release this year and should be compatible with the latest version of TLU, which is also 3.5.2 - pretty funny coincidence with those numbers, if you ask me. I think it is a good sign ;)
Lord_bold wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:08 pm -For some reason, sometimes, the guru will summon level 2 golems sometimes . I have had this happen in 2 different games, and never again. I don't understand why that happened but maybe you do so I still would like to report it.
There's nothing in the add-on's code, that could cause it. If you ever encounter this, please send me a replay, so I can investigate the issue.
Lord_bold wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:08 pm -The regular drone is hard to justify when the units that upgrade it need to be level 4 or more. While its true that on a vacuum they have infinite potential (and even become stronger than the perfect drones!) this takes way too much money and effort to do
This unit will be slightly overhauled in the future. Thanks for pointing that out.
Lord_bold wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:08 pm While its interesting they can actually recruit Kirios (as they are a level 4 unit. Wait, is this a bug?)
This is not a bug. Kharos are well known for their high-level recruits.

2021 was a truly amazing year for Era of Magic and its campaign To Lands Unknown. The era has become the most popular add-on on the 1.16 server. TLU is the 2nd most popular campaign right now. I'd like to thank you all for your amazing support over the years. You are great! :D

Let's hope 2022 turns out to be even more amazing for our community. I have some plans for the next months, so stay tuned and happy New Year! :)

Full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.5.2
 ### Units
	** Darkblood Alliance:
	 * Saurian Pikeman: renamed to Jungle Pikeman
	 * Saurian Champion: renamed to Jungle Champion
	 * Saurian Blowgunner: renamed to Jungle Blowgunner
	 * Saurian Crossbowman: renamed to Jungle Crossbowman
	** Kharos:
	 * Kirios: increased damage for all attacks by 1
	 * Master of Sun: increased damage for melee attacks by 1; decreased cost from 90 to 80
 ### Abilities
	* fixed the soul catcher ability - now it works only on living and magical units
	* improved the soul catcher ability - now it is no longer possible to transform a gate into a walking unit on an unwalkable terrain
	* fixed the summon undead ability so that it no longer takes units in recall lists into account
	* units summoned via the summon undead ability now have 0 moves and cannot attack (just like freshly recruited units)
	* the split ability no longer spawns damaged units
	* the parachute ability no longer spawns damaged Parachutists
	* fixed the bone collector ability not working	
 ### Gameplay
	* removed Perfect Drone from recruits' lists in Masters and Slaves mode
 ### Descriptions
	* improved descriptions/fixed typos: Cyclops Breaker, Goblin Shaman, Orcish King, Troll Warlock, Green Salamander, Cleric, Bishop, Sun Follower, Solar Master, Dimensional Gate II, Rhami'kai, Heavy Summoner, Black Orb, Master of Darkness
	* removed descriptions of Saurian Assassin and Shadowblade
	* improved descriptions of the swallow weapon special and the furious death ability
 ### Code
	* fixed incorrect unit id in one of summons options for Cyclops Fallen King
 ### Translations
	* updated the raw translation file
Creator of Era of Magic