Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9 - 12 new units!

Post by IPS »

The very first test in this month and so far in so long! testing the new unit Earthmancer and Earth Master =P

The gameplay of the new unit is very smooth, being a nice shield specially againist mobile turret defense, as usually this unit used to be a pain to deal againist as Sky Kingdom because of not having a correct tank that can deal againist it (well, War Mage maybe, but as far I tested I never recruited them because as lv2 they have two lv1 attacks and feels somewhat expensive to me, will be looking if their pricing is fair enough) , still, I kinda preffered the earth mancer in what refers to build up an army and multi purpose hybrid fighter.

Sky Kingdom usually had a deficiency of impact damage (unless you go for expensive golems, but at a 60 x 55 size map .... it's a challenge to use this unit very often... same problem that hydras have but even slower unless moats) , placeholder that defenetively Earthmancer can cover fairly good enough.

It was useful in a lot of times having +skilled in a melee attack , it proved to be a nice combination at allowing the unit to have better chances to hit and enjoyning of terrain defenses as usually ranged is more common to have +magical , +skilled specials.

To be continued: how community reacts with this unit in survival maps

Landmass 24-1 +marskman is naturally strong attack in specific survivals like Orocia , at having one brutally strong strike and an accuracy boost special and chance to deal area of damage. Earthmancer is defenetively being targeted as goal for some players, but going one earthmancer will mean the player has to get one less hydromancer which people used to abuse them in masses because of the same plus slowing on melee , slowing one strike ranged that if gaining extra strikes is much stronger than Landmass.

Still do not miss that Fire Master boosts Mystic warrior and Sky guardian damages at helping their lawful aligment be more effective. And what about Master of Air allowing it to be 60% defense at almost anywhere, well options that most people misses out on many survivals =P

Pending observations:
- Giving lv3 Master Mage 2 Movement Cost on Mountains and who knows, if as well in Swallow Water. The unit is really nice, but feels slows even with quick trait, and is naturally less tought compared to many other mages (Tharis Warlocks or Dwarvish Rune Artists)
- Probability of reviewing pricing on lv2 War Mage , as 11-3 fire is more notable in an army than just gaining a slightly stronger (but a lot tankier) lv1 battle mage.
Attachments
Earthmancer test.gz
(70.13 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
IPS

Post by IPS »

Second test, regarding Kharos.

It's defenetively blatant how strong are Golden Warrior in a mirrored match againist another Kharosian player, another unit that shines so much at this matchup are the Mystical And Elemental archers (not a surprise for me).

The very early pressence of the Javalineer and Impaler in first conflict proves that this unit is (as intended) strong against a kharosian mirrored match. Only problem is that Impalers have issue of being outmatched by Golden Warriors that if expensive, in a map of 60 x 55 they're pretty much worth it. Curious thing is that neither AI nor me did consider Lv2 or Lv3 prophet of Light (well..... they're quite overpriced as they're intended to have +leadership aura in era of heroes, but in masters ehmmm.... mistress of light does almost the same and in larger map does better).

I will consider of trying a +1 arcane damage on their secondary 10-3 arcane magical, being at day time a full 14-3 giving kharos more options if considering this unit in a large, expensive army...

About impaleers ranged damage buff, I couldn't prove if it was wrong or not, but still the only impaleer did really nice, the extra movement also allows them to be viable in more army sizes at compesating the lack of teleport skill and being a solid village holder as shown in this game.

Not much else to remark in here, Sky Kingdom opponent didn't show me strong issues because of the very poorly positionated units againist teleport assaults, still that cosmic eye was an annoyance that costed my most expensive loss in the game :cry:

I pretty liked so much the implementation of the recruiter, having a chance to get the most valuable protector from any of the random shielders is very useful and mostly where getting reinforces of whatever you want would take so long time.

As for now, the list of all noted changes from the last 2 previous games
- Master Mage mountain movement cost from 3 to 2 (will test if corresponds to swallow water movement cost too)
- War Mage price from 36g to 34g
- Prophet of Light secondary ranged from 10-3 to 11-3
- Hoplite nerfs in consideration of their new lv3
---- HP from 55 to 53
---- Shieldbash damage from 17-1 to 16-1
This will reward more to players who level up to Bulwark. As they can be leveled up from a random shielder from a recruiter, which is another valid reason to nerf this aura unit.

Will test Doom Bringers melee buff damage in soon, but I advise that there is an huge difference between the 6-4 and 7-4 because of night time bonus where difference is more notisable (7-4 vs 9-4) and it encourages that if needing to melee the same target, giving better ressults having the lv2 and ofc, strong trait that is present in any destroyer unit (appart that if Doom Bringer is too strong, it shines so much in comparation to Apocalypse).

Edit: Forgot to mention in original post about XP bar looking weird for Recruiter, it shows it can't AMLA at all.
Attachments
Random map replay 20220629-095713.gz
Kharos new units testing
(67.04 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
IPS

Post by IPS »

Third test, this one is related to Dark Blooded and new spirit summons.

There is not so much to mention about this, but still there are few things to take into consideration.

In this one match after reviewing and realized that in the very far distant villages in south and even in center I did not good at all to stop the efreetis early harass I decided to rush the Kharos AI which was closer and realized it was weak enough to take it down really quickly. Not so difficult considering that AI was positionating terribly its units at certain point it took me 2 or 3 less turns killing it than planned and expected, still, during that time, Summoner AI got control of around 2/3 of map villages in a short period of time which made things considerably difficult not much after its kharo allies fell down.

Ifreeti defenetively are going to eat another small nerf as they're insanely strong in all aspects (mobility, damage, specials, attack types) and being a viable option to spam even with the increased cost and slighly lowered stats, not consdering that the heat ressitance buff on many dark blooded literally saved me of a lot of pain from these magical beings !!

Another thing to mention is that the lowered (20%) physical resistance fire god feels correct and fair, not other unit in this match caused relevant issues.

About dark blooded, there is still one thing I will nerf to both spirits ... it's eliminating theyr ZoC :P :mrgreen:

At simple sight it doesn't look much of a problem, but belive me, IT IS. Low cost instant dummies for cheap, mobible and easy zone of control where you want in the precise momment you need !! I even managed to abuse of this feature even owning very few spirits in the field and in a map larger than played by most players... these units really do not need any zone of control as they have still a lot of utility due kamikaze healing or damaging.

Recap of upcoming changes concluded from this game:
- Great Efreeti fire resistance from 50% to 40% (they don't need bonus fire resistance to rock!) at being solid counter of all fire casters because of their opitonal impact magical attack.
- Swamp and Forest spirits not having ZoC anymore because this can be abused by a smart and good player with insane ressults!
Attachments
Dark Blood test.gz
(77.86 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
IPS

Post by IPS »

Fourth test, this one is related to Tharis.

First I tried to test if Frontliner and advancement could be considered OP, but early ressults showed that defenetively they're not OP, could say that it performed a way worse than expected (well AI did go dwarf mech... nothing to bleed and usually blade resistant...)

Talking about Dwarf Mech... Heavy Balloon and Flying fortress are getting a slight nerf on impact resistance as well flying fortress will do in impact resistance. They're flying units that are 50% defense everywhere and oddly high amounts of HP, so I'm sure this will not impair that much to this line of units.

Other thing that I realized during the test, is that when Matriarch of Pain works with other Matriarch of Pain, seems there is a good synergy of pain absorb ... will even include that for a suggestion of unit lore :P :lol:

About the game process, well, Tharis for my surprise did poorly very early game in the initial front, very defenetively going for cold and not knowing what your opponent is A LOT more risky than going for fire magic againist unknown opponent, proven very much at top clash againist dwarf mech. And if things weren't good enogh, I couldn't do much againist sky kindom scouts in bottom in far distant villages, leaving me as only move to split my scouts and disperse Sky Kingdom AI units to delay the choke of its main army with mine.

The game was very rough in the start, but things go much better as time was flowing, very likely from last game I had to rush closest AI by weakining it by grabbing the unprotected villages of Ancient Dwarves. During this process as I realized my income was going to get CUT HARD in soon by Sky Kingdom AI, I started to recruit orbs again and attempted with sucessful ressults to regain my village control and capturing some AI villages and again split Sky Kingdom AI forces that had a lot more to work in recapturing the lost village due the Lv1 Black Orbs... lv1 unit which at being in recruit list allowed me to win this game and to not lose.

About Battle Copter, I still have my doubts if it's correct it being 10 movement, as flying movement of 10 is really a lot for a unit that is consistent 9-4 or 11-3 +skilled ranged. Extra movement gives a lot of more angles that this unit can strike, even in situations dwarf player might be outnumbered if going expensive mech. Still, AI uses extreme movement units very poorly, but I'm aware of its real potential.

Still, in soon I'm going to review lv3 scout balancing, because I realized that they have almost no damage losses and still somewhat high tankyness which are very above from default scouts and this might decrease a bit the compability and fairness of playing Era of Magic in era compilations like Ageless. But this will be done after all new units get reviewed.

Overall balance modifications concluded from this game:
- Efreeti lv2 and lv3 will go 40% fire resistance because both unit are 50% and nerfing just lv3 would lead to inconsitency.
- Balloon, Heavy Balloon and Flying Fortress impact resistance from 20% to 10%
- Flying Fortress HP from 82 to 80
- Mechanical Dragon hard Landing value decreased from 11 to 9
- Flying Fortress Hard Landing value decreased from 13 to 11
Hardlanding is defenetively being a problem, in many occations it forces the enemy player to encourage to kill it fast beause of high damage values from unit (even if slowed) but in the other side, the Area of Damage from this unit can sometimes be higher than the damage you take from unit's retaliation if slowed!! and as saw, when spammed in masses, that's a tons of area of damage.
- Battle Copter price from 64g to 68g (extra movement, pays itself if capturing 1 turn earlier one village, but then it's extra permanent movement)

Pain of Mistress Lore:
In some exceptions, when tharis interrogations ressult in nothing, victims are sent to a group of Pain Mistresses that in sometimes ressults end in having the valuable information that tharis were looking for. Pain Mistresses also trained pain magic fair enough to also absorb pain in the envoroment as a source of pleassure and even of self healing.

And as viewed in battlefield, Pain Mistresses enjoy a lot more fighting or abusing in group as they can even enjoy of their friends pain, which in difficult fights is very important even in surviving rought battles when the cover of any conventional sanation procedure would not be at time.

Nobody knows exactly what is the fate of individuals caught by a group of Pain Mistresses, but the only known thing is that their body is never found which leads to many to fear, by knowing their sadistic nature, that unfortunate caught victims might face a fate that is much worser than death itself.
Attachments
Tharis test.gz
(91.09 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
IPS

Post by IPS »

Well this is the 5th and last test from this whole season of tests. This one is related to Destroyers gameplay.

First look in game is that this was the easiest starter from any of the replays I've sent! meaning that I got the least opposition from AI at least the very first 15 turns, murdering Tharis AI in record time with not much effort at all, while not much after, I had issues at dealing the flying mech of Runes Master AI, that indeed I'm absolutely agree at nerfing the impact resistance of all balloons by 10% will be healthy for overall gameplay.

The extra damage from buff on Doom Bringer as predicted , is too strong! it even allowed me to over-expand and not realizing much the over-expansion consequences (yeah, lost the lv3 not much after murdering that red ulfseker, BUT, the impact on game was NOTABLE) ... at that point that I could take away Tharis AI with almost no intervention of its ally, in record time and efficiency.

Then later, for my surprise the hardest fight in the whole game was somewhat close of my leader very in the west and bottom while I was expanding in east lol, AI likes to make my units waste time at chasing a very strong lv3 mobile turrets in south east, which I couldn't sincerely ignore because then I would have gold disadventage... thing that made me lose many units in the centre because of the unexpected need of spliting to cover more area...

But, overall overview of Doom Bringers, in comparation of Apocalypse.
1) Apocalypse has only one strong melee attack and only existing ranged attack. Doom Bringer has almost as much ranged damage as Apocalypse in melee, but even without buff Doom Bringer have a lot more of melee attack than Apocalypse in ranged .... yeah, ranged has to be nerfed in Apocalypse and in nightmare in overall because in certain situations players were using them as hybrid fighters if spent XP upgrades OR upgrades from scenarios like Orocia.
2) Apocalypse has purely only fire attack, meaning it will be poor of melee damage againist heat resistant units. On the other side, Doom Bringer has decent 21-1 impact ranged which is 80% at offense and 60% while defending, not needing at all being hybrid fighter because it's already scout and ranged.
3) Apocalypse is 33 x 0.7 (23.1 average) melee and 18 x 0.6 (10.8 average) ranged unit. Doom Bringer at Original values was 24 x 0.7 (16.8 average) melee damage and 30 x 0.7 (21 average) ranged damage, but additionally being 21 x 0.8 (16.8 average) impact ranged damage if offensively (12.6 average) if defensively, meaning that this unit is much better hybrid fighter than Apocalypse even pre-buff, but not only that, Doom Bringer is also 8 movement scout while Apocalypse being only 6 movement which is a lot of difference in many situations.

But in conclusion is that in overall terms, Doom Bringer even at its original values were higher in terms of stats than Apocalypse and in overall, also as said, I wanted that the lv3 doom bringer is used as ranged and not hybrid fighter because it' situational unit and not necessairly a must to own unit (well, in randomly generated maps like of this test, ofc you might need get this at your main starter build). For smaller maps, it will be of interest to player to consider other units than Doom Bringer as main focus.

Also, mentioning other topics, I forgot to list some changes related to previous game, still, conclusion after reviewing another time the impact nerf over dwarven balloons and will mention all suggested changes in here.

Final Conclusion, global Suggestions:

Master Mage
- Mountain Movement cost from 3 to 2
- Lightning damage from 34-1 to 33-1 (because of a bad coinsidence of bieng 41-1 arcane magic againist Lv2 Storm Spheres, allowing this unit to 70% hit chance ONE HIT KILL a full HP Lv2 Storm Sphere)

War Mage
- Price from 36g to 34g

Prophet of Light
- Secondary ranged from 10-3 to 11-3

Hoplite
nerfs in consideration of their new lv3
- HP from 55 to 53
- Shieldbash damage from 17-1 to 16-1

Great Efreeti / Efreeti
- Fire resistance from 50% to 40%

Forest Spirit / Swamp Spirit
- Swamp and Forest spirits not having ZoC anymore

Battlecopter
- Price from 64g to 68g

Balloon / Heavy Balloon / Battle Fortress
- Impact resistance from 20% to 10%
- Battlefortress HP from 82 to 80
In mid and long term, certain impact units can be nerfed to compensate this nerf of this unit, but belive me, ballons family actually is very bulky and defenetively need of nerf. Still, in compensation, mechanic and advancement will have increased impact resistance in order to decrease the impact of this attack type resistance againist runesmaster.

Hardlanding
- Mechanical dragon value from 11 to 9
- Battlefortress value from 13 to 11

Mechanic / Technician / Constructor
- Impact resistance from 20% to 30%
This will help to players considering these units to deal with less cost efficiency when considering these units.

Technologist / Technocrate
- Impact resistance from 10% to 20%
Same topic as of 3 previous units, this will help this pair of units be less fragible for new players.

Dwarvish Soldier
- Gun might now have marksman special
Original design of unit contained Skilled special for lv3 in its ranged, but during the implementation of this unit missing special on ranged allowed me to consider that it's more fair that this unit do not retaliate with high accuracy in order that units that are native of forest/swamp region have a chance againist this unit, but now I consider that extra special marksman on ranged wouldn't be a bad idea.

Doom Bringer
- Melee from 7-4 to 6-4

NEW UNIT: Temple Guard
This unit will be an optional lv3 advancement for Jungle Guardian in Dark Blood.
This unit will be somewhat highly resistant to magic (40% to arcane, 20% to both fire/cold)
Unit will be just 1 more damage in both blade and pierce attack than lv2.
Unit will have an optional magical melee arcane attack, this attack will also have a surprise! (new special !)
Unit will have physical resistances to 0% which are even lower than lv2 , but natural 20% pierce resistance
Unit losses skirmirsher and don't gain ambush in this variant, but the unit gains concealment which will allow to hide in villages.
Unit will be lower in HP than lv3 Jungle Champion
More detail suprirses in the upcoming update!
Attachments
Destroyers test.gz
(86.88 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
IPS

Post by IPS »

Been a while since the last posting or news about Era of Magic, will give a warm to it :mrgreen:

But it's just to mention few things that I have planned in the short and mid term goals and explanations in all this aspect of the balancing, this time there will not be any testing until a new release of the era.

First of all, mentioning that in future days the testing will be more diverse than just only big wide 60 x 55 randomly generated maps , as I consider that the progress in overall late/end-game ballancing was significantly improved, tons of nerf and some necessary buffs to fix units late stages of the game which could affect anyhow multiplayer or even campaigns/MP-campaigns gameplay.

Another thing in goals, is making EoMa balance be more fair for Era compilations like Ageless or even the Default Era itself. Being totally conscient that Era of Magic has some other balance criterias (usually stronger lv2-lv3 but more costy and more XP hungry in compesation) meaning that defenetively Era of Magic faction is proven to have a much stronger late/end game potential in particulary long games or in low XP settings adjustments, but YO ... precisely I'm going to recheck XP management to view all is correctly settled and if unit rewards is correct for the effort spent on it (avoiding over-rewards).
Another thing in goals, is making EoMa balance be more fair for Era compilations like Ageless or even the Default Era itself.
So as mentioned here, any unit that outstand too much will of course get gradual nerfs, even if in multiple consecutives versions only get nerf as of Cosmic Eye or some other frequently mentioned units in previous posts ... but I'm not agree at nerfing them all so hard in just one release, I've already made this misstake one time ago in Sky Kingdom faction and then took various years to realize that Sky Kingdom early game was somewhat underpowered, but even before of being that underpowered they were so insanely strong (not as strong as previously magic resistant Rhamis, but you might get the point of this :lol: )

Also a spoiler of mine, this era balancing will also consider a lot what people hosts recently, era's balance was significantly changed due the creation of very popular scenarios like Afterlife which lead me to nerf cyclop's raging fury but increase base damage, giving certain scouts with no melee having an option to at least have a chance to defend themselves againist random 1-3 or 2-2 berserkers unit that wasn't being fair that a unit this weak so early could kill permanently you a unit of yours and giving an enormous disadventage. And ofc , in many other not that blatant things like why Cyclops noble got much weaker retaliation in ranged cuase of this same scenario too because of showing a very blatant stuff that noble cyclops had no counter in that afterlife scenario and in many other situations.

Why so many new units recently?
Well, this is quite simple, people were playing the factions very linearly, doing always the same when playing specific factions, new units releases (mostly in my case) were done precisely in less popular units appart of bringing everybody more options to use, to lead people to have viable plans than just spamming always the same (Dark Blooded spamming only toad and wyvern riders... Destroyers player ignoring atokpi and focusing only in Maras/vortext/Omens). Even in one of the cases, I mentioned an unit that was quite popular (Mara) that did even get an option B to compensate a missing detail in destroyers at having almost nearly inexistant physical ranged attack which that was corrected with Harbingers and Atokpi Infantry additions. And ofc, making the gameplay of all factions be less linear... still I'm aware only barbarians did not get any new unit from this wave of new units, but theorically they should be the easiest faction to start with in era of magic if being new in wesnoth.

Also lastly, after maybe few more last units propossed for mainline of EoMa, I will not focus in giving new unit ideas for a long season and focusing more in balance of the already existant ... still will also mention to inferno8 about something for a much longer term and see how it goes. And yep, maybe might be more correct to add more "factionless" units, units that aren't from the 7 known factions we know like bandits or stuff like that as default era has, to increase unit diversity , data and potential for development of more campaign or other ideas, by not even helping in any of them directly at all. Who doesn't love fighting againist neutral/factionless opponents in your favorite strategy games? :P

Some more details about the unit I propossed in DM to inferno8 , the Temple Guard saurian :P
- Their armor and spear will be made of a white/silver material (which could even be Mytril itself!)
- Original idea is that the spears acts when something paranormal or naturally not existant (mystical attacks, altered secret resistances, negative arcane ressistance, any odd thing to the nature rules) in the physical realm is found, spears shining and acting as new optional melee attack, but, it also could be a better idea that the attack can be used all times as Inferno8 said me.
- Implementation of a attack special and special named +Phase which adds unit the opportunity to ignore +Magical and +Enchanted specials, forcing the enemy unit to hit/miss depending of enemy defense instead of constant values. In case the unit has this special on weapon, allowing it to have this characteristic only if using this weapon, while if having it as a passive skill, on all times (will also not work againist +Skilled, +Precision, +Revenge, +Always- hit or any other accuracy modifier which are envoiromental or physiscal origin)
- It's probable that +phase be determinant in balancing the era in mid and long term with more units having it in the long term! allowing archers and other unit that usually feel weak to feel more useful.

Also, I'm aware that weapon specials, specials and even ideas can help other era/faction creators to have inspiration for more fresh content in add-ons servers, actually I feel like that since my temporal pause in ageless era ballancing development as in 1.16 times, multiplayer rooms and more, got out of new and fresh ideas with the frequency of older times as in 1.8 to 1.16 which sincerelly I think were the best times of multiplayer lobby in wesnoth.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hepta posting ... quite impressive and I'm quite sorry about this, but in general forum activity is not high right now, and well, ideas do not stop to come... so will mention some rebalance adjustment, ironically, this is way too numerous and all have a explanation of why to be. Let's start!

Core / Classic unit with +Phase in melee
This is quite simple, the faimily of units with magical melee (Harbinger, Fire Avatars, Apocalypse, Um, Ifreeti, Jinns, etc), most of them are already strong units and most of them excels of GOOD mobility or in many cases being strong at both melee and ranged attacks. In almost all cases, they might deal high retaliation damages at both ranges. As some lv4 units like Guru of Magic or Chosen of Forest are quite low in HP and quite vulnerable to this type of units, they will get a buff on +Phase special to their melee, which is not half of strong than +Slows on melee, but very useful in very specific situations. Few more exceptions will be added to this.

Certain units that already own +Magical in their ranged will have +Skilled too (or instead, an even more improved +Magical, don't know that would depend in someone else) to their actual main ranged attack ... this could of have important implications that this new type of magical (maybe +magical +skilled in same attack) and then instead to a new form of magic will have important differences in when this type of attacks meets phase/deflect specials as well of being 70% or higher chance to hit, which is extremely niceee.

The list of wanted changes is the following, +phase implementations and few stat readjustment in few cases:
- Guru of Magic melee will have +Phase special
- Chosen of Forest melee will have +Phase special
- Chosen of Forest 9-5 cold ranged will have +Skilled additionally or instead Improved magical. In case their +magical gets buffed, +first-strike might be removed.
- Hidden Face, Mystical Warrior, Sky Guardian will have +Phase(offensive) in melee, meaning that when used offensively these units WILL IGNORE MAGICAL and allowed to use their natural dodge. This can help these units at dealing better with Nightmares, Fire-elementals very early game. In case I find that can be a problem to other factions... then somewhere else there will be a buff in opposing factions to deal with this.
- Mirror Shield is still not tested by me, but deflect is very strong againist AI opponents so I do not think it's a good idea to buff him.
- Red Steam ulfseker will have +Phase(offensive) in melee, giving it a chance to be used for 40% dodges when zerking magical melee.
- Sword Dancer (Lv2) will have +Phase(offensive) in melee, allowing this Tharis unit to not be that HARD-COUNTERED by Mara/Fire Avatars so early, even allowing it to take away Cosmic Eyes in very aggresive positions.
- Master of Air Lightning 11-3 arcane magical will have +Skilled or better magical special. Unit suceptible for a upcoming nerf later.
- Master of Fire Fireball 11-4 fire magical will have +Skilled or better magical special.
- Master of Fire flames attack number of strikes decreased from 4-10 to 4-9 , rounding up in unis with 20% fire weakness or higher allowed this unit to nuke 5-10 (50 magical damage to single target , and lowering this to 45 is more fair)
- Master of Water Ice Strike 10-3 will have +Skilled or better magical special
- Master of Water bubble attack damage lowered from 22-1 to 19-1
- Rune Artist & Rune Master will also have +Skilled in their melee (no chance for better magical)

This all is intended to make certain magical melee units be less strong and less dominant, which magical on melee is actually is more valuable than magical on ranged. As well making +Skilled, +Marksman, etc being considered now more valuable specials to consider when building. As well I'm aware that other era creators can of consider implementing +Phase special to make more concepts of units and to nerf the highly efficient and commonly used +Enchanted/+Magical specials.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9.1

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.9.1 is out!

This update includes 1 new unit, 1 new weapon special and tons of balancing tweaks.

Darkblood Alliance got a new lvl3 unit called Temple Guard. Thanks to their shiny armor these elite units are quite resistant to magic. They are also equipped with sacred spears which are very effective against magical and undead beings.
templeguardian.png
templeguardian.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
@IPS: Sadly your idea for the phase weapon special could not be fully implemented, because the game currently does not support disabling weapon specials with another weapon specials. So in 3.9.1 the phase special only activates an attack when detects a magical or undead opponent. This can still be useful. For example Hidden Faces could get a second melee attack available only when fighting specific units or races. But unfortunately this new concept will require you to redesign all your balancing proposals from your last post. Send me a PM if you need more details.

Here's the updated table with units and factions (3.9.1):
units-3.9.1.png
units-3.9.1.png (10.09 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
Full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.9.1
 ### Gameplay
	* added a new unit: Temple Guard
 ### Abilities
	* added a new weapon special: Phase
	* the bloodlust ability no longer cures poison
 ### Units
	** Darkblood Alliance:
	 * Forest Spirit: disabled zoc
	 * Swamp Spirit: disabled zoc
	** Destroyers:
	 * Doom Bringer: changed melee attack damage from 7-4 to 6-4
	** Kharos:
	 * Hoplite: hitpoints from 55 to 53; changed the shield attack damage from 17-1 to 16-1
	 * Prophet of Light: changed the lightbeam attack damage from 10-3 to 11-3
	** Runemasters:
	 * Balloon: impact resistance from 20 to 10
	 * Heavy Balloon: impact resistance from 20 to 10
	 * Battlecopter: cost from 64 to 68
	 * Mechanic: set impact resistance to 30
	 * Technician: set impact resistance to 30
	 * Constructor: set impact resistance to 30
	 * Dwarvish Soldier: added the marksman weapon special to the gun attack
	 * Flying Fortress: hitpoints from 82 to 80; changed the hard landing damage value from 13 to 11; changed the impact resistance from 20 to 10
	 * Mechanical Dragon: changed the hard landing damage value from 11 to 9
	 * Technologist: impact resistance from 10 to 20
	 * Technocrat: impact resistance from 10 to 20
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Master Mage: set mountains movement cost to 2; changed the lightning attack damage from 34-1 to 33-1
	 * Um: set village defense to 50%
	 * War Mage: cost from 36 to 34
	** Summoners:
	 * Efreeti: fire resistance from 50 to 40
	 * Great Efreeti: fire resistance from 50 to 40
 ### Code
	* fixed missing {AMLA_DEFAULT} in Recruitment Officer
 ### Translations
	* updated the raw translation file
        * updated the Polish translation
Last edited by inferno8 on July 24th, 2022, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
IPS

Post by IPS »

inferno8 wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 3:03 pm Era of Magic 3.9.1 is out!

@IPS: Sadly your idea for the phase weapon special could not be fully implemented, because the game currently does not support disabling weapon specials with another weapon specials. So in 3.9.1 the phase special only activates an attack when detects a magical or undead opponent. This can still be useful. For example Hidden Faces could get a second melee attack available only when fighting specific units or races. But unfortunately this new concept will require you to redesign all your balancing proposals from your last post. Send me a PM if you need more details.
No problem, thanks for everything! Still actual wesnoth limitations didn't allow a complete lots of propossed goals in here :augh: :annoyed: ...

Will be of thinking what to do with actual +Phase special , but the most important detail of that special is about ignoring magical/enchanged characteristic, so it's most likely to get a rename later. Certain units will have optional extra attacks that might be more powerful or might have another use at the cost of being useful againist magical and undead beigns.

Only thing I can imagine is this attack being commonly magical/precision (high accuracy) and most commonly secret/arcane types which are usually nice to deal agianist these beigns or stronger variants (more strikes, more dmg, or defensive specials) for same attack but only stronger if facing this type of units. I have no actual idea what to do exactly at this momment so will be of thinking in all this.

About the mentioned units that was intended to get a very specific buff to not get that hard countered by very specific units... will of be thinking in later in how doing that.

So, for sure, I'm sure of one thing, new saurian unit will be slightly stronger because of the limitations of not being capable to ignore magical/enchanted melee, but I got one idea ! it's not all lost :P

Temple Guard
Even if I'm not good with names, someone else is free to correct me in changing to a better name for a skill :lol:
- Will have a new special: Magic Seeker
When this unit is used offensively, this unit will take 20% less cold/fire/cold damage.

It's like dauntless, but only for magical attacks and instead of adding ressistances which would be better than a flat reduction of 20% less but with no resistance caps like as of +steadfast or +dauntless. Consider that the unit having it as passive, means that in case of gaining extra weapons (even ranged) would keep this special !

And by adding this, the unit can get encouraged to attack with no fear about magical attack types!

Lastly, I will be focusing in very very very small map balance, as there has not been many considerations about certain units at very very small maps but instead there was a lot of improvements for large map balance. But this will require a tons of time, but only thing I can mention is that very few things were considered already like Um being 50% village defense to avoid small map impenetrable fronts with only one single unit.
Last edited by IPS on July 23rd, 2022, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Phase sounds similar to mind fog, changes 70% to 20%

[chance_to_hit]
        id=AE_arc_fog_enemy
        add=-50
        apply_to=opponent
        [filter_opponent]
            [filter_weapon]
                special=magical
            [/filter_weapon]
        [/filter_opponent]
    [/chance_to_hit]
In order to properly disable magical it can be done by unit placed and replacing magical with custom magical which obeys phase.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hi over there, on here I'm going to show my progress in testing in very small maps and my personal conclution from all the matches played againist bots, even if each game didn't help me individually to see how balance is going, the 5-6 matches (Which took a bit less than half of time than one of these 60 x 55 tests) did help me to view the actual balance status of certain units, most of them being correct.

Just as remminder, all my tests are in full randomly generated opponents and random played faction.
3p — Morituri replay 20220725-013308.gz
Summoners test, just a quick easy win. No important observations.
(35.46 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
3p — Morituri replay 20220725-015420.gz
Runemasters test, it was quite difficult to me to pick the units to deploy, but everything did go smooth after. Feels good starting with this unit as hero.
(32.03 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
kharos lost A.gz
Match A, much unluck mid/late game and got devoured by piranias.
(37.76 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
3p — Morituri replay 20220725-023616.gz
Same game, but reload in turn 7, won the game with no inconvenients. I'm surprised that Battlecopter can be that nice investment even in such small map.
(42.28 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
3p — Island of the Horatii replay 20220725-201837.gz
Another consectutive match (2nd one) with Kharos, build was quite similar as in the other game.
(42.29 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

There is not much to conclude individually in each individual game, but, 5 are enough to make a conclusion.

In previous versions of the era, before the implementation of the lots of units with Impact + Marksman/Skilled/Precision units like Sun Follwer used to be OP inside the era, but now it's proven that in late/endgame they're quite easy to counter even at some point that Brown Warrior in many cases suit better in a lv2-lv3 army than Sun Follower itself because of more damage and at having a more specific and important role in a Kharos Amry than sun follower. Still, it's important to mention that we're talking about a strong lv2-lv3 army, but in very early lv1 - lv2 armies things might be much more favorable for Sun Follower unit as most of these new physical marksmen/mages are in lv2 and lv3 tiers.

Still, going heavy magic and forcing opponent to consider more Sun Followers or even Sun Guardian can be a good plan to force the kharos opponent to decrease their output of damage and forcing them to go a more physical build like as of Brown Warior/Platinium Warriors or even to Javalineers/Impalers.

Lv2 protector is defenetively underpriced, will raise their price. Unlike leadership, protect aura will work with alies of even higher level than them.

Will be reviewing certain stuff, but defenetively being weak to impact is now a more important flaw because the lots of new units with physical, that now is quite frequent being in high accuracy specials in ranged.

Buffed Prophet of light seems to work well now, extra heat resistance in lv2 and increased heat/cold resistance in lv3 is very useful to make these units to consider the option of a more aggresive gameplay without taking so much damage, and previously realized that without the 3 strikes attack and then buffed in lv3 Kharos had hard times at taking down certain enemies and all buffs around this unit feels very correct.

Lv3 Kharos War banner after its nerf doesn't feel any OP anymore! not possible taking them away with just 2-3 units in a turn, but if exposed in open field they will be quite fragible even if their retaliations damage may be of high (in the replay that piranias devoured my leader .... we're not considering that undead and mech are naturally inmune to AwE , reason why the war-banner felt fragible...) but in a much less specific situation they are much tankier.

After all this explanation, some balance propossals
- Protector price from 32g to 35g
- Javalineer fire resistance from -5% (was meant to be 0%) to +6% (six) (will take one less fire dmg from 10 heat dmg strikes if SIX)
- Kirios Price from 75g to 83g (previous damage buff deserves increased price).

Temple Guard buff and slight rework.
In consideration of saving a special named +Phase having other mechanisms, its actual skill will get a rename.
- Attack (arcane)'s +Phase special will get renamed to +Divine but no alteration in how it works!
- Arcane attack will now have +First-strike in addition
- Unit will also gain special +Mage(or Magic)-Seeker in addition, but no longer related with upcoming new +Phase special
Unit will get +first-strike in only the arcane attack, new special but will not be related to +Phase special anymore. Its use will now be more offensive instead of elusive/dodgin magic attacks in melee range.

Real intended Phase design!
Viewing at Ravana's post, got an idea in how to rework this special. The list of units that gain this special (even if in some cases, only offensively) will be the same as in my previosuly mentioned units! This is how this special will be likely working!
- +Phase will decrease +magical hit chance from 70% to 50% , and decrease damage taken by 10% less (total reduction of -36% average damage dealt) , but rounding up will lead it to sometimes be approximately 1/3 less between more misses and 10% less damage dealt per strike.
- +Phase will decrease +Enchanted hit chance from 60% to 50% (same as of magical), and damage decrease damage taken by 20% less (total of -33,33% average damage dealt) between both hit chance decrease and damage reduction.

This way +Phase special will have a significant but not abusive hit chance decrease over these two specials, but always being slightly useful by decreasing damage taken if unlucky and taking many hits.

And more to come in soon :P
IPS

Post by IPS »

Yooo, this post is very likely being somewhat earlier than expected, but this is time for some theorical analysis and theorical overview of new atokpi line, and RPG era balance adjustment as many new units weren't previosly analysed in how they would perform in RPG ...

Atokpi Infantry and advancements
Consdering the unit has 1 extra movement, skirmisher special, not much variation of resistances and way more health than Atokpi Samurai if getting at least ONE kill ... it's blatant that in many situations this unit is a stronger addition than a more balanced fighter like Atokpi Samurai is. So to maintain certain features of the new unit, instead of nerfing health, will decrease some of their resistances (fire and impact), to prevent players spamming this new unit with almost no handicaps, because really, even if not very powerful individually but in a team and good skills this unit is doing better than expected and it's really fun to use, so I think that some few nerfs of resistances won't ruin this unit and will make it more fair for default opponents like drakes or loyalists.

Community also loved this new advancement, making Lv1 atokpi be recruited more often !!

Some theorical balance overviews

Atokpi Samurai
Health from 47 to 48

Atokpi Infantry
- Fire resistance from -10% to -20%
- Impact resistance from -10% to -15%
This will reward specially to players using units like Witches.

Crimsom Atokpi
- Fire resistance from -10% to -20%
Most armored of all skirmisher line, they have to be significantly weaker to one element.

Atokpi Charger
- Unchanged
This line is not causing any troubles, even it has a massive -20% impact resistance as base resistances.
Moving faster allows it to be less exposed to heat damage, reason it has lower (-10%) fire weakness.

This will help that both units samurai and infantry be more fair between each other.

RPG analysis and rebalance
Some new units are defenetively strong picks in RPG version of the era, because they did not considerations nor corrections for a more fair performance in RPG version. This as well is a correction for certain already existing units in RPG.

Apocalypse / Dark Apostle
- in RPG , Lv3 and Lv4 versions of unit, will have same resistances as of Lv2 Mara
- in RPG, Apocalypse HP from 38 to 44
- in RPG, Dark Apostle HP from 45 to 55

Harbinger
- in RPG Chaotic Vortex will be +Marksman instead of +Precision(offensive)
- in RPG Chaotic Vortex will NOT have +Inmovilize, but will maintain +Stun
- in RPG, melee +magical will be +Magical(offensive)
- in RPG, corrupted fire damage is increased from 7-3 to 8-3, maintaining its specials.
- in RPG, Cold resistance will be 0% instead of 20%
- in RPG, Arcane resistance will be -20% instead of -10%

Doom Bringer
- in RPG Chaotic Vortex will maintain +Skilled but its special +Precision(offensive) will be removed.
- in RPG Chaotic Vortex will NOT have +Inmovilize, but will maintain +Stun
- in RPG, Chaotic Vortex damage is decreased from 21-1 to 19-1
- in RPG, melee +magical will be +Magical(offensive) and damage increased from 6-4 to 7-4.
- in RPG, corrupted fire damage is increased from 10-3 to 11-3, maintaining its specials.
- in RPG, Cold resistance will be 0% instead of 20%
- in RPG, Arcane resistance will be -20% instead of -10%

Atokpi Infantry
- in RPG, +Precision(offensive) is removed.
- in RPG, this unit will be 5 movement instead of 6.

Atokpi Charger / Crimson Atokpi
- in RPG, +Precision is remplaced by +Skilled
- in RPG, Crimson Atokpi will be 5 movement instead of 6.
- in RPG, Atokpi Charger will be 6 movement instead of 7.

Battle Copter
- in RPG, its movement will be 9 instead of 10.
- in RPG, impact ranged will not have +first-strike

Battle Eye / Cosmic Eye
- Ranged (arcane) accuracy will be +Skilled instead of +Marksman
- Ranged (arcane) will additionally have +Magical(offensive) in addition of its +skilled.
This is an actual buff, because of an over-nerf of mine :/

Dwarvish Mobile Turret
- in RPG, Shock wave damage is adjusted from 10-2 to 8-1
- in RPG, Shock Wave will not have +No-counter-attack special, but will maintain +All-Around
- in RPG, Split-fire attack will be dissabled
- in RPG, Spread Shot will not have +Triple-Strike special.
This is quite curious, player can decide if being Area of Damage melee attacker , hybrid fighter or Ranged attacker. All options are viable :mrgreen:

Mobile Defensive Platform
- in RPG, Shock wave damage is adjusted from 9-3 to 8-2
- in RPG, Shock Wave will not have +No-counter-attack special, but will maintain +All-Around
- in RPG, Split-fire is usable in this level, but +Split-fire special is removed.
- in RPG, Spread Shot will not have +Triple-Strike special.

I'm not sure if these corrections fixes these units to balanced values, but I'm absolutely sure that for more balanced it might be !!.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9.2

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.9.2 is out!

This update includes 1 new ability, 2 new weapon specials, balance improvements and many RPG tweaks. I'd like to thank IPS for his invaluable help with this release! ;)

The 'magic hardening' ability activates on offense and when that happens the owner of this ability takes 20% less fire/cold/arcane damage. @IPS: this is in fact your 'magic-seeker' special. EDIT: Ravana has just informed me that I should use [damage] weapon special instead of a [resistance] buffing ability in this particular case. So the description is probably misleading. @IPS: let me know how you would like this 'magic hardening' be implemented. Do you prefer the "current +20 fire/cold/arcane resistance buff on offense" implementation or would you like it be a dedicated weapon special which modifies pure attack damage?
The 'magic counter' weapon special (and its offensive variant) decreases chance to hit of all magical and enchanted attacks to 50%. So in a way such attack counters other magical attacks by making them less precise. @IPS: this is the new implementation of the phase special, based on Ravana's post.

@IPS: I decided to disable the split fire attack for Mobile Defensive Turret (lvl3) too (in RPG), because I think the unit is already quite strong. But I can enable it if you want. Just let me know.
Also I was a bit confused about the proposal of changing Master of Fire's flames attack from 4-10 to 4-9 so I didn't change it for 3.9.2. If you want it to be 4-9, send me a confirmation.
Btw, congratulations on your 1000th post! :D

Important information for Ageless players:
If you play EoMa via Ageless you may encounter bugs which probably have already been fixed for EoMa. This is because Era of Magic is more up-to-date than Ageless. So if you want a less buggy experience right now, try EoMa. Otherwise please wait for Ageless patches.

Full changelog:

## Version 3.9.2
 ### Units
	** Darkblood Alliance:
	 * Temple Guard: added the 'first strike' and 'magic counter' weapon specials to the arcane melee attack; added the magic hardening ability
	 * Chosen of Forest: added the magic counter weapon special to the melee attack
	** Destroyers:
	 * Atokpi Samurai: hitpoints from 47 to 48
	 * Apocalypse (RPG): changed hitpoints from 38 to 44; set resistances to match those of Mara
	 * Dark Apostle (RPG): changed hitpoints from 45 to 55; set resistances to match those of Mara
	 * Harbiner (RPG): set cold resistance to 0%, set arcane resistance to -10%; changed the corrupted fire damage from 7-3 to 8-3; changed the melee magical special to magical (offensive); replaced marksman with precision (offensive) for the Chaotic Vortex attack, removed the immobilize special
	 * Doom Bringer (RPG): set cold resistance to 0%, set arcane resistance to -10%; changed the corrupted fire damage from 10-3 to 11-3; changed the melee magical special to magical (offensive), increased damage from 6-4 to 7-4; replaced marksman with precision (offensive) for the Chaotic Vortex attack and changed damage from 21-1 to 19-1, removed the immobilize and precision (offensive) specials.
	 * Atokpi Infantry: fire resistance from -10% to -20%, impact resistance from -10% to -15%
	 * Atokpi Infantry (RPG): removed the precision (offensive) weapon special; changed movement from 6 to 5
	 * Atokpi Charger (RPG): replaced the precision weapon special with skilled; changed movement from 7 to 6
	 * Crimson Atokpi: fire resistance from -10% to -20%
	 * Crimson Atokpi (RPG): replaced the precision weapon special with skilled; changed movement from 6 to 5
	** Kharos:
	 * Hoplite: cost from 32g to 35g
	 * Kirios: cost from 75 to 83g
	 * Kharosian Javelineer: fire resistance from -5% to +6%
	** Runemasters:
	 * Battlecopter (RPG): changed movement from 10 to 9; removed the first strike special from the ranged impact attack
	 * Dwarvish Mobile Turret (RPG): decreased the shockwave attack damage from 10-2 to 8-1, removed the no-counter special; disabled the split fire attack; removed the triple strike special from the spread shot attack
	 * Mobile Defensive Platform (RPG): decreased the shockwave attack damage from 9-3 to 8-2, removed the no-counter special; disabled the split fire attack; removed the triple strike special from the spread shot attack
	 * Red Steam Ulfserker: added the magic counter weapon special to the melee attack
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Guru of Magic: added the magic counter weapon special to the melee attack
	 * Hidden Face: added the magic counter (offensive) weapon special to the melee attack
	 * Mystic Warrior: added the magic counter (offensive) weapon special to the melee attack
	 * Sky Guardian: added the magic counter (offensive) weapon special to the melee attack
	** Tharis:
	 * Sword Dancer: added the magic counter weapon special to the melee attack
 ### Abilities
	* added the 'magic hardening' ability
	* added the 'magic counter' weapon special
	* renamed the 'phase' weapon special to 'divine'
 ### Code
	* added the first strike special disabler for RPG mode
	* added missing textdomains to some files
 ### Translations
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9.2

Post by IPS »

Yo, been quick and this update did come really quick, I'm still viewing the new updates and will in soon view the matters.
inferno8 wrote: July 30th, 2022, 7:11 pm Era of Magic 3.9.2 is out!

This update includes 1 new ability, 2 new weapon specials, balance improvements and many RPG tweaks. I'd like to thank IPS for his invaluable help with this release! ;)

The 'magic hardening' ability activates on offense and when that happens the owner of this ability takes 20% less fire/cold/arcane damage. @IPS: this is in fact your 'magic-seeker' special. EDIT: Ravana has just informed me that I should use [damage] weapon special instead of a [resistance] buffing ability in this particular case. So the description is probably misleading. @IPS: let me know how you would like this 'magic hardening' be implemented. Do you prefer the "current +20 fire/cold/arcane resistance buff on offense" implementation or would you like it be a dedicated weapon special which modifies pure attack damage?
The 'magic counter' weapon special (and its offensive variant) decreases chance to hit of all magical and enchanted attacks to 50%. So in a way such attack counters other magical attacks by making them less precise. @IPS: this is the new implementation of the phase special, based on Ravana's post.

@IPS: I decided to disable the split fire attack for Mobile Defensive Turret (lvl3) too (in RPG), because I think the unit is already quite strong. But I can enable it if you want. Just let me know.
Also I was a bit confused about the proposal of changing Master of Fire's flames attack from 4-10 to 4-9 so I didn't change it for 3.9.2. If you want it to be 4-9, send me a confirmation.

Btw, congratulations on your 1000th post! :D
Yeah, for now I think that only hit chance reduction for magic-counter is fine for now, it places in a more correct place units with very valuable magical melee attacks. At being very rare, it's a situational special that only works on very specif unit that are already considered high tier.

Idea of Magic Hardening is about Damage reduction and not about magical resistance, for example Temple Guard fire/cold resistances are 20% and Arcane resistance is 40%. In case it consists on ressitance increase, then on offensive will be 40% to fire/cold and 60% to arcane which is quite high (specially if gaining upgrades at Orocia's Shrine or RPG resistances upgrades) scalling insanely well with any external resistance upgrade.

While at being a damage reduction, there would be 2 variants that decreases damage taken, ressistance and damage reductor. In case this skill works as damage reductor for the following 3 attack types we get the following ressults:
- Fire/Cold damage taken would be 100 x 0.8 (resistance) x 0.8 (Magic Hardening) = 64% of Fire/Cold damage taken
- Arcane damage taken would be 100 x 0.6 (resistance) x 0.8 (Magic Hardening) = 48% of arcane damage taken

On Second case, we can see a more signficant and more important difference of a 40% --> 48% damage taken (basically 20% more damage taken) for 40% resistance combined of magic hardening. This gets even more significant if arcane value gets even higher because of Orocia shrine upgrade or PRG upgrades. Thing that might recheck later to adjust it more correct for RPG. And yes, intended I want it to be implemented as damage reduction modifier instead of resistances.

Yes, Master of Fire confirmation for 4-9 lv3 attack, units with only 20% fire weakness take whole 5-10 so it's basically 35-40 garanteed damage dealt with very few variation, which is insane considering you will get a very predectible ressult because of having too many strikes of high accuracy. This also be worse if player uses XP mod for extra damage. Master of Fire is strong enough to not be dependant of this attack. He also got decent mobilty buffs recently (sand movement cost to 1 and extra movement poin as stat, so a nerf on another of its attack might be fair for it now)

For now, let's not modify anything more the mobile turret units, there are other things that needs to get rebalanced in RPG more quickly.

And thx for the 1000 post hype XD

Even if Nightmares and advancement were fairly rebalanced in RPG, they feel quite too strong in RPG, specially with the burst of high attack damage in lv3 and lv4 that is not marksman ... but high damage per strike and drains is too strong. As well that the base resistances are still high. I think that damage reduction of Devour attack and ranged might be enough for this unit.

Also, minor detail, mostly Destroyers and Barbarians RPG balancing.

In soon, other factions RPG overview.

Rebalancing in RPG

Apocalypse
- in RPG, Devour damage from 22-1 to 17-1
- In RPG, chaotic blast damage from 9-2 to 7-2
Intention is making Devour a situational attack that player can consider at low defense enemies. In RPG, single strike blows are very strong.

Dark Apostle
- in RPG, Devour damage from 36-1 to 21-1
- in RPG, chaotic blast damage from 13-2 to 9-2
Yikes, in RPG a nerf of -15 dmg per strike is insane, but it's a very valuable attack in RPG !! and intented to be situational.

Cyclops breaker
- in RPG , health from 58 to 62
- in RPG, Fist (double-attack) damage from 6-4 to 3-3
Double-attack is very valuable in RPG, and the nerf is intended to balance more this unit if it gets feed so much.
Player when using double-attack agrees to receive more damage in enemy retaliations.

Cyclops Necromancer
- in RPG, Health from 40 to 44
- in RPG, unit has +regenerates
- in RPG, melee gains +Magic-counter
- in RPG, melee damage from 5-3 to 5-4

Greater Cyclops Skeleton
- in RPG, gaze damage from 25-1 to 22-1

Extinct Cyclops Mage
- in RPG, gaze damage from 38-1 to 29-1
- in RPG, gaze (arcane) damage adjusted from 13-3 to 10-4
Single blows strikes in RPG are extremely strong, very deserved the -9 dmg per strike.
Players spamming only ranged strikes upgrades will also face with weaker arcane damage.
In RPG each strike is worth as 3 to 3.5 times the price of a damage point, so theorically the weapon is "unchanged" unless you're strikes spammer :P

Fallen Cyclops King
It's odd, I couldn't see unit RPG stats in game, maybe this needs a more important revision. Still, values will be adjusted
- in RPG, gaze damage from 56-1 to 37-1
- in RPG, gaze (arcane) damage adjusted from 14-4 to 11-5
That's another huge nerf ... one of -19 damage per strike....

Bone Giant
- in RPG, HP from 71 to 83
- in RPG, Will have same ressistances as of Lv2 Bone Golem

Moloch
- in RPG, Health from 92 to 101
- in RPG, Split will not be working
- in RPG, Will have same resistances as of Lv3 Bone Giant

Furious Death will no longer be in RPG in units that used to have this special.
Hard-landing and Parachute will not longer be in RPG units that used to have this Special
This is quite obvious the reasons to be.

Cyclops Goliath
- in RPG, gaze will have +precision(offensive) instead of +precision

Cyclops Noble
- in RPG, gaze (offensive) damage from 17-1 to 14-1

Cyclops Lord
- in RPG, gaze (offensive) damage from 25-1 to 20-1

Gobling Shaman
- in RPG, staff will have +Magic-counter special
- in RPG, unit will have +Magic-Hardening special.
Too scared about this gobbo low RPG potential? well this huge RPG buff will reward more players using random and getting this unit.

Barbarian Lord
- in RPG, sword+axe damage adjusted from 9-3 to 6-2
Same nerf as in Cyclops Breaker, -3 dmg per strike and -1 strikes.

Barbarian King
- in RPG, sword+axe damage from 13-3 to 10-2

Troll Warlock
- in RPG, fist damage from 15-2 to 16-2
- in RPG, blue flame damage from 10-3 to 8-3
Hit accuracy is way most valuable stat in RPG. So getting a whole +10% hit chance. Not counting the tons of magic resistance upgrades.

Troll Warbanner
- in RPG, unit gains Magic Hardening
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.9.3

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.9.3 is now available!

This super fast update includes a reworked 'magic hardening' which is now a weapon special. There are also tons of RPG tweaks based on the last IPS' post (thanks!) :)

That's it for now. We are halfway through the year and I am really happy with the current EoMa's development. So many new units and cool abilities (all proposed by the community!) have been added since January :) I could only compare this time to EoMa 2.0-3.0 transition period when I worked hard together with ForestDragon on preparing the add-on for the BfW release on Steam.

2021 was the year of TLU, and now thanks to you guys 2022 has high chances of becoming the year of Era of Magic! :D

Full changelog:

## Version 3.9.3
 ### Gameplay
	* disabled the 'hard landing' and 'furious death' abilities in the RPG mode
 ### Units
	** Barbarians:
	 * Cyclops breaker (RPG): hitpoints from 58 to 62; changed the 'fist' (double-attack) attack damage from 6-4 to 3-3
	 * Cyclops Goliath (RPG): replaced the precision weapon special with precision (offensive) for the 'gaze' attack
	 * Cyclops Noble (RPG): changed the 'gaze (offensive)' attack damage from 17-1 to 14-1
	 * Cyclops Lord (RPG): changed the 'gaze (offensive)' attack damage from 25-1 to 20-1
	 * Gobling Shaman (RPG): added the magic counter weapon special to the staff attack; added magic hardening weapon special to all attacks
	 * Barbarian Lord (RPG): changed the 'sword+axe' attack damage from 9-3 to 6-2
	 * Barbarian King (RPG): changed the 'sword+axe' attack damage from 13-3 to 10-2
	 * Troll Warlock (RPG): changed the 'fist' attack damage from 15-2 to 16-2, changed the 'blue flame' attack damage from 10-3 to 8-3
	 * Troll Warbanner (RPG): added the magic hardening weapon special to all attacks
	** Destroyers:
	 * Apocalypse (RPG): changed the 'devour' attack damage from 22-1 to 17-1, the 'chaotic blast' attack damage from 9-2 to 7-2
	 * Dark Apostle (RPG): changed the 'devour' attack damage from 36-1 to 21-1, the 'chaotic blast' damage from 13-2 to 9-2
	 * Cyclops Necromancer (RPG): hitpoints from 40 to 44; added the regenerates ability; added the magic counter weapon special for melee attack, changed melee damage from 5-3 to 5-4
	 * Greater Cyclops Skeleton (RPG): changed the 'gaze' attack damage from 25-1 to 22-1
	 * Extinct Cyclops Mage (RPG): changed the 'gaze' attack damage from 38-1 to 29-1; changed the 'gaze (arcane)' attack damage from 13-3 to 10-4
	 * Fallen Cyclops King (RPG): changed the 'gaze' attack damage from 56-1 to 37-1, changed the 'gaze (arcane)' attack damage from 14-4 to 11-5
	 * Bone Giant (RPG): hitpoints from 71 to 83; set resistances to match those of Bone Golem
	 * Moloch (RPG): hitpoints from 92 to 101; disabled the 'Split' ability; set resistances to match those of Bonge Giant
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Master of Fire: changed the 'flames' attack damage from 4-10 to 4-9
 ### Abilities
	* replaced the 'magic hardening' ability with a weapon special with the same name
	* the 'magic hardening' reduces opponents' damage now, instead of buffing its owner's resistances
 ### Code:
	* replaced all occurrences of 'special=' with 'special_id='
 ### Translations
Creator of Era of Magic