Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.12.2 - 2022 MP Activity Report

Post by inferno8 »

I am working on a huge EoMa 4.0 update right now. It will feature cool standing animations for more than 80 units. The new version is almost ready and will be available this month, so stay tuned!

eoma4.0-promo1.gif
eoma4.0-promo1.gif (717.12 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

This Era is so so cool and I absolutely love the unit sprites and factions. But I need more campaigns with them! ^^
Creator of "In Defense of Kharos" viewtopic.php?t=56628
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hi, I want to inform you all, that due to lack of time I have decided to postpone the release of EoMa 4.0 to February. The new animations are ready and I could release the new version at any time now, but first I want to include 5 new units recently suggested to me by one of era's co-creators. Two of these units are ready, but I need more time to finish the remaining three. So expect the 4.0 update to drop in February.

By the way, we will be celebrating 15th anniversary of Era of Magic next month, so I think the new release date is quite fitting! :D
Tarcil wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:22 am This Era is so so cool and I absolutely love the unit sprites and factions. But I need more campaigns with them! ^^
I feel you, because I need them too! As I said before, I have a few ideas, but campaign making is a lot of work. I am not saying no, I just need to be prepared for such undertaking. I try to stay optimistic :)
Creator of Era of Magic

Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

inferno8 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:29 pm Hi, I want to inform you all, that due to lack of time I have decided to postpone the release of EoMa 4.0 to February. The new animations are ready and I could release the new version at any time now, but first I want to include 5 new units recently suggested to me by one of era's co-creators. Two of these units are ready, but I need more time to finish the remaining three. So expect the 4.0 update to drop in February.

By the way, we will be celebrating 15th anniversary of Era of Magic next month, so I think the new release date is quite fitting! :D
Tarcil wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:22 am This Era is so so cool and I absolutely love the unit sprites and factions. But I need more campaigns with them! ^^
I feel you, because I need them too! As I said before, I have a few ideas, but campaign making is a lot of work. I am not saying no, I just need to be prepared for such undertaking. I try to stay optimistic :)
Since this post I had tried it myself and created a small campaign with currently foru scenarios with the EoMa era, which plays in Kharos. I would be happy if you would give it a look and feedback. *Advertisment banner* In Defense of Kharos to find on 1.16. add-in server *Advertisment banner*
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hope to be posting at time, but I got some relevant things to comment, specially regards balancing of some specials.

BoneCollector
This is quite easy to explain, but I got the idea that if the healing works as 1+2x+2y where X is level of Bone unit and Y is level of slain unit. working as self heal only in player's turn. Also the 1+ in the formula can be directly its maximun health increase. This lead a minimun self heal value of +5 in both lv1 interactions and a max value of +9 in both lv4 interactions (well, this can be even higher if the slain unit is higher level). This way In lv1 its change doesn't seem to be affecting too differently to unit. And yes, healing only happening in offensive/player's turn to prevent abuses of too Over Buffed Bone Golems with ranged weapon that also get a tons of healing from swarms of AI units dying next to it. If you like the idea, you can still modify some values like 3x + 1y etc, but the idea is to revoke it's porcentual scalling.

As I've said, Bone Golem doesn't need this special in RPG, but changing this special this way, would lead us to not need a different threat from starting lv2 bone golems as leader units.

Blood Lust
Similar case as in BoneCollector, only working in offensive/player's turn. Most tharis units did not have this special so still in overall a buff to them. This would be nearly the same for PVP matches while acting as a nerf in survival scenarios as in Orocia which in some cases BloodLust 3/4 can be better than regenerates if only killing 2 or 3 units in same turn lol (appart of gaining the healing benefits in opponent turn instead of your later turn).

Actually bloodlust is very strong againist waves of enemy units, if we limit it to trigger only when in offensive an unit is slain would be better.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:16 pm Hope to be posting at time, but I got some relevant things to comment, specially regards balancing of some specials.
The new version will probably be ready within 2-3 weeks, maybe earlier, so you're not late. Only one unfinished unit remains and then testing phase will begin.
IPS wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:16 pm I got the idea that if the healing works as 1+2x+2y where X is level of Bone unit and Y is level of slain unit.
I am not a big fan of formulas like these, to be honest. They introduce another layer of complexity to the game, and I prefer to keep things simple. We've already added lots of custom mechanics and I don't want to add new complex ones.
Speaking of making the collector special active only on offense - I'd limit this to healing only, but leave +1 max hp on kill intact on both offense/defense.
IPS wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:16 pm Actually bloodlust is very strong againist waves of enemy units, if we limit it to trigger only when in offensive an unit is slain would be better.
Approved :)
Tarcil wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:59 pm Since this post I had tried it myself and created a small campaign with currently four scenarios with the EoMa era, which plays in Kharos. I would be happy if you would give it a look and feedback. *Advertisment banner* In Defense of Kharos to find on 1.16. add-in server *Advertisment banner*
Finally, a fan-made campaign set in the world of Era of Magic! :D I played it a few days ago and I really liked it! It doesn't conflict with my ideas for official Kharos campaign and it is lore-friendly. I'll post my feedback once I finish some other tasks (as you can see I've been very busy these days). There are some minor bugs here and there, but the fact you've managed to make a working campaign using a custom era as a novice UMC creator, is worthy of admiration ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

inferno8 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:28 pm
Tarcil wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:59 pm Since this post I had tried it myself and created a small campaign with currently four scenarios with the EoMa era, which plays in Kharos. I would be happy if you would give it a look and feedback. *Advertisment banner* In Defense of Kharos to find on 1.16. add-in server *Advertisment banner*
Finally, a fan-made campaign set in the world of Era of Magic! :D I played it a few days ago and I really liked it! It doesn't conflict with my ideas for official Kharos campaign and it is lore-friendly. I'll post my feedback once I finish some other tasks (as you can see I've been very busy these days). There are some minor bugs here and there, but the fact you've managed to make a working campaign using a custom era as a novice UMC creator, is worthy of admiration ;)
A big thank you, for those encouraging words. If you play the latest scenario you will maybe get a hint where I want the campaign to connect with the lore you set up in TLU ^^
IPS

Post by IPS »

Yo, just posting few observations which in the future will have a better in-action explanation.

Slower's balance
Actually, it's sure and certain that some slower units are way higher tier for this task (Black Mages, Sculptors, Mystic, Great Hunter) as they have higher chances to hit on units of almost any terrain defense. Most slowers in the era have this features that increses their hit chance probabilities.

About some other slowers that are not in listed, there will not be any stat adjustment but instead some other kind of surprise coming later! first example will be shown in version 4.0 and about an hint about how some few units will keep their "low accuracy" slowing chances but having a very creative way to compensate that in late game. When the first of these units get released will explain a more complete post about this topic.

Also about overall older units balance, there is something which you find suspicious or abusable in the era? even if most of the blatantly overpowered (Air Avatar, Nightmares, Fire Avatar, Great Efreeti... , Toads... , Cosmic Eyes) got a corrective nerf which makes them much more fair in almost any game modes and trying an abuse of them will not completely work as well as it used to be.

Is there something that needs to be buffed even a bit because you find "no use to it"? Additionally most underpowered got a better placement in meta (Water Avatar, Earth Avatar, Subversive Mage becomeming meta now, Awaken, low level Atokpis, Steamcopters... many others) meaning that most of units have an use and always good to consider as long you like how the unit works.

For the best for multiplayer lobbies
Lastly to mention, is that in my personal agenda I would like to add some few more canonical units which will help at balancing some few missing placeholders and giving more units to shine and have some certain more popularity (as how Lv3 Goblin Invader exists) as well of many other factionless/not-mainline units that the real idea is increasing the mount of modable units for AE scenarios as well of EoMa campaigns as if there are more different enemies in the universe, it will help in the motivation of many to create more EoMa based campaigns as well.

As what makes Ageleess such a popular add-on is the huge mount of content and different units, and lately there are not so many era contributors as in older wesnoth lobbies as in 1.8 or 1.10 which were the Golden Age of multiplayer lobbies. So all of this is precisely to help the most possible what still remains of the multiplayer lobbies attempting to make it as great it used to be in good old times. So, as many of you reading this post, I'm a lobby multiplayer as well. So shortly after 4.0 EoMa release and very probable update in Ageless, it's very probable I will be often active in multiplayer lobbies once again.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

While working on my campaign *cough* got updated recently *cough* I thought about a few kharosian units and made a few descriptions for them:
Here are the Inspired and the Fire Swordman:

Fire Swordman

When a slicer survives enough battles he get a fire sword as an addition to its normal blades. It is said that the magic that is bound onto the sword comes from the mysterious magicians of the Sky Kingdom, not unlike the enchanted arrows of the Elemental Archers.

Inspired

When a Sister of light grows older and sees more of the harsh world she may not only be filled with more light, but also with courage and bravery. If this is the case she learns the way of the sword from the Golden Warriors and the way of the bow from the archers. While learning this way of the warrior she is still able to wield the arcane magic of the light which she bound to her arrows. Paired with her courage and bravery she inspire the younger and more inexperienced soldiers of Kharos to fight ever harder for the light and the sun.

Heavy Cavalry

Those Cavalry Archers who don´t dabble with foreign magic armour their horses with good and solid metal instead. They are still fearsome archers and their horses are strong too, but theiy have given some mobility in exchange for their heavier armour.

Its not much, but should be sufficient.
Last edited by Tarcil on February 8th, 2023, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edwylm

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.12.2 - 2022 Summary

Post by Edwylm »

inferno8 wrote: December 31st, 2022, 10:59 am Oh, and if I'm counting right we will be celebrating the 20th Wesnoth Anniversary in June! Pretty good time to talk about good old times and think about the future. Who knows, maybe some veteran players and previous EoMa contributors will show up? One thing I am sure of: 2023 will be full of amazing events for our community!
EoMa will always have a spot in me that that i can never forget always checking up on the era to see how much you have progress on it. I remember when you had little lore and descriptions. Making some of those descriptions was rather difficult as even yourself did not know much of a direction, but as creators we just go with the flow and not worry not about the minor details :lol:. I still have the nostalgic feeling of looking back at your old sprites you had created long ago when i first started play EoMa, I sure do miss some of those sprites. But If you ever need some more help with regards of writing descriptions or even rewriting some just hit me up and I'll see what lore I can find while exploring the deep Dark Jungles ;)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.12.2 - something big is coming...

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 4.0 is in the final stages of testing and will be available next weekend, if all goes well.
Apart from 24fps standing animations for many units, it will feature 5 new lvl3 Salamanders - including Lava Salamander (pictured below).
eoma4.0-promo2.gif
eoma4.0-promo2.gif (160.85 KiB) Viewed 825 times

So keep your fingers crossed, because it is going to be one of the most interesting EoMa releases in years!
Edwylm wrote: February 8th, 2023, 5:40 am I still have the nostalgic feeling of looking back at your old sprites you had created long ago when i first started play EoMa, I sure do miss some of those sprites.
Then ...let's go back in time! The link below will take you to the distant past:
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.4/C/ERA_OF_ ... RSION.html

The year is 2008, people play Battle for Wesnoth 1.4 like crazy and Era of Magic is just another new add-on daring to compete with the incredible Era of Myths and the massive Extended Era.
I was an aspiring wesnoth modder and pixel artist back then, so many of my sprites were of low quality, but it is nice to know that some still love my ancient creations. Actually you are not the first one to say my old sprites had that "something". For example I've heard many people still prefer the old Air God sprite over the new one. So... which of my older sprites do you like the most? ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

inferno8 wrote: February 10th, 2023, 9:07 pm Era of Magic 4.0 is in the final stages of testing and will be available next weekend, if all goes well.
Apart from 24fps standing animations for many units, it will feature 5 new lvl3 Salamanders - including Lava Salamander (pictured below).

So keep your fingers crossed, because it is going to be one of the most interesting EoMa releases in years!
After so many years you finally had the time to level up the salamanders :cry: But i do have to say the wait was well worth it of just of how dedicated you have done with the lava salamander and the animations. You have advanced quite a lot to which I still am no match for your artistic style which is unique to yourself. I just wonder if you have already created descriptions for them already too if not I'll 100% take a crack at them like I did with the old salamanders.
The year is 2008, people play Battle for Wesnoth 1.4 like crazy and Era of Magic is just another new add-on daring to compete with the incredible Era of Myths and the massive Extended Era.
I was an aspiring wesnoth modder and pixel artist back then, so many of my sprites were of low quality, but it is nice to know that some still love my ancient creations. Actually you are not the first one to say my old sprites had that "something". For example I've heard many people still prefer the old Air God sprite over the new one. So... which of my older sprites do you like the most? ;)
The old air god feels more impactful but thats because it looks like a storm. It is hard to draw something made of air or trying to create a avatar for a air god. From what I can think of many people use flying creatures or storms to represent them.

But what I miss is the old striding machine, and the concept of the mechanical monster. The hydras even though your newer ones are better the older ones look more feral.
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

inferno8 wrote: February 10th, 2023, 9:07 pm
I only discovered the new Air God sprite recently and must say, that the old one, was at least as cool as the new one and all of what Edwylym said. The rest is as said astounding. Getting really excited to see the new version.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Edwylm wrote: February 10th, 2023, 10:02 pm After so many years you finally had the time to level up the salamanders :cry: But i do have to say the wait was well worth it
Actually it was IPS' idea. He wanted to boost the popularity of the Darkblood Alliance faction by introducing lvl3 Salamanders, so here they are :) Now I know it was a really good decision to implement them. All will offer custom AMLAs like new abilities or better terrain defenses.
Edwylm wrote: February 10th, 2023, 10:02 pm I just wonder if you have already created descriptions for them already too if not I'll 100% take a crack at them like I did with the old salamanders.
Yes, please! :D I really like the ones you created for lvl2s a few years ago. I'd be great to see more from you. Feel free to take a look at some of my lore ideas for them:
Spoiler:
Edwylm wrote: February 10th, 2023, 10:02 pm But what I miss is the old striding machine, and the concept of the mechanical monster. The hydras even though your newer ones are better the older ones look more feral.
Interesting. Runemasters had a lot of blocky machines back then. When I decided to overhaul their sprites I was using a different painting software, so the style was also different. As for hydras, I hope the new standing animations will help them look more feral, like in the old times. But I want to inform you guys, that not all units will receive standing animations in 4.0. That would take months to complete such task (EoMa has more than 280 units and the number is still rising). That's why I decided to focus mostly on lvl1s and lvl0 for now (with some lvl2 exceptions) + there will be a "little" surprise for Barbarians players. ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

Edwylm wrote: February 10th, 2023, 10:02 pm
The old air god feels more impactful but thats because it looks like a storm. It is hard to draw something made of air or trying to create a avatar for a air god. From what I can think of many people use flying creatures or storms to represent them.

But what I miss is the old striding machine, and the concept of the mechanical monster. The hydras even though your newer ones are better the older ones look more feral.
Years ago, it was quite frequent people franken sprites from other units or reuse some already created to create new eras. Best example of that was Era of Strife with the Eltirian faction re-using loyalist sprites :lol: . You can also re use very old sprites from older servers that are no longer in use. I personally think that recoloring old drakes sprites and creating a new faction based in ZeroVirus's style for frostdrakes would be a cool concept for a faction.

And yeah, that 1.4 EoMa nostalgy yeahhhh. everything is so familiar to me, even since EoMa had only 3 factions (Enlightened Ones , Summoners and Tharis if I remember correctly) then appeared Kharos, Runemasters and Darkblooded and lastly Destroyers.

I still remember when people were complaining about lv2 Trashers because of the lv2 leadership cap, still having skirmisher and leadership together is an extremely strong combination of skills. I would even like to see something very similar to them in a near future even if not the exact unit at all (as some kind of factionless unit).

I remember as well when kharos only had pierce, blade and arcane which lead them to have severe limitations because of the poor attack type diversity, so I suggested brown warrior unit and much later the fireswords just to justificate a severe nerf to lv2 fanatic. As well suggesting blade attack for lv2 and higher level white warriors.

As well I remember when Barbarians and Runemasters did not have a correct ranged to deal againist Fire elementals. So then suggested Goblin Shamans and cold ranged attack for rune adepts.

Salamanders did also get impopular in recent times because long ago I decided to nerf them because they used to be 50% flat defense by costless and they were insanely strong, so people at not realizing lv3 potential just started to not consider salamanders this often. Now they will have late-game potential and not being so insanely strong in mid-early game. Most fun of lv3 salamanders design is that you will have very different ressult and roles getting a lv3 in comparation to using XP mod to buff more the base stats of your lv2 salamanders, which is the exact intention of lv3 and not just a lv2 but higher stats. You will understand more this point when you get more closely the new units, their specials and features and realize that they're somewhat low in HP for the XP demand they require to get, so focusing them very early game might not be a so good idea unless you know what are you doing.

And yeah, 2022's almost exactly one year ago, I worked so intensively in improving massively EoMa balance, so now there are much fewer underpowered and mostly people are not forced to go units that were meta just because of how OP they used to be.

Still, after sometime will consider suggesting even more new units as well I did in 2022's too (more unit count, less UP/OP) which also will help a lot at balancing AE lobbies as people used to complain about most used OP did come from Era of Magic. Cannot garantee that these units are still fair :P ... just more balanced which is important enogh.

Also I've read very first posts in EoMa and I've read something about minotaurs and tharis ... what happened to Minotaurs since then? :lol: