Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.12.2 - something big is coming...

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: February 11th, 2023, 5:01 pm Also I've read very first posts in EoMa and I've read something about minotaurs and tharis ... what happened to Minotaurs since then? :lol:
Well, the Era of Strife offered much more interesting minotaurs all put into a one very cool faction, so at some point I probably decided to remove mine from EoMa. Also I wanted to make room for more unique content for Tharis.
Speaking of that faction, it was of course based on Dark Elves from EE. You can still find many similarities here and there. Btw, I consider Tharis unit animations one of my best works. And last year's additions in form of Bladefuries and Pain Mistresses made that faction even better in my opinion. One of my long term goals for Tharis is to make some really cool "finishing move" kind of animations. Disciple and Dark Warrior already have them, but such offensive faction like Tharis really deserves more.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
IPS

Post by IPS »

Yooo , I'm so hyped about this upcoming release , we're just one week away of it !! and at most, AE will finally get a relevant update after more than a year because of this! this EoMa update is most likely to be one (if not) the most important event of wesnoth 2023's (maybe just after wesnoth 1.18) , but yeah !!

Also to spoil a little idea , will mention stats design about Lava Salamanders as an example and an idea of what's comming on!

Lv3 Lava Salamander
HP: 52
8-3 fire melee
11-3 fire melee +magic(offensive) +first-strike +attack-only
11-3 fire ranged +magical
Movement: 5
Price: 56g

Other upgrades:
- Unit gains +10% mushroom and cave defenses (normal values on salamanders instead of -10% as red salamanders)
- 10% higher base fire resistance.

Or more detailed, all stats upgrades compared to lv2 salamanders:
- only +6 HP, which is low HP gain.
- just +2 melee damage
- just +3 ranged damage
- Additional attack-only melee attack which have the same values as lv3 ranged!

Also we can also determine an approximation of which stats the lv2 red salamander will gain using XP mod features, considering mainly HP (+4 HP for 8 XP) and (+1 DMG's for 16 XP).
---> Base XP of red salamander to get lv3 is 110 (77 in 70% XP modifier)

a) Case 1 can get +3 to DMG's (9-3 melee & 11-3 ranged) and 14 HP (to 60 HP)
You can exchange -8 HP's for +1 DM's or -1 DMG's for -8 HP's.

If red salamander is inteligent, then we have an approximation of what's best for Option 2
---> Inteligent salamander will require 88 (62 in 70% XP modifier)

b) Case 2 (9-3 melee & 11-3 ranged) can get +3 DMG's and +7 HP (to 53 HP)
You can exchange -8 HP's for +1 DM's or -1 DMG's for -8 HP's.

In case of inteligent red salamander, it's indeed more combenient to just level 3 to it instead of buffing with XP mod. While still, there is the option to just spend all that XP in more maximun health to have a bulky ranged unit with +30 base HP (to 76 HP lol) and un modified lv2 damages.

Even in case 1 of non inteligent trait, player can wisely pick to just lv3 to consider the extra higher accuracy melee and the option to deal the same damage in melee range dealing the same damage to ranged units but using melee range and taking less damages. Which in case of used this way you get less hurt and basically ending with same mount of HP's at being less wounded with this unit.

Also lv3 salamanders helps them quite much in gamemodes that aren't considering XP mod, so it's defenetively much better than just spending 100 (70 XP in 70% modifier) to just get full healed and +Veteran Trait as it used to be.

Even if Lava Salamander is the simplest of all the cases to explain, the other 4 salamanders lv3 promotion works with a similar criteria, meaning you will get something unique and far different that you can only adquire if getting it to lv3 !!!
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

IPS wrote: February 11th, 2023, 5:01 pm
Salamanders did also get impopular in recent times because long ago I decided to nerf them because they used to be 50% flat defense by costless and they were insanely strong, so people at not realizing lv3 potential just started to not consider salamanders this often. Now they will have late-game potential and not being so insanely strong in mid-early game. Most fun of lv3 salamanders design is that you will have very different ressult and roles getting a lv3 in comparation to using XP mod to buff more the base stats of your lv2 salamanders, which is the exact intention of lv3 and not just a lv2 but higher stats. You will understand more this point when you get more closely the new units, their specials and features and realize that they're somewhat low in HP for the XP demand they require to get, so focusing them very early game might not be a so good idea unless you know what are you doing.
Yeah I noticed even the AI liked using the salamanders more than other units along with the wyverns way back then. But the AI recruitment is still not the greatest for a overall aspect. But I always enjoyed the salamanders and wished for more which made me to decided to add more to them years ago and started to get back into working on the project again. They were one of my favorite units because of how unique they were. Being able to direct level them up to environmental situations was way nice.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Edwylm wrote: February 12th, 2023, 12:29 am Yeah I noticed even the AI liked using the salamanders more than other units along with the wyverns way back then. But the AI recruitment is still not the greatest for a overall aspect. But I always enjoyed the salamanders and wished for more which made me to decided to add more to them years ago and started to get back into working on the project again. They were one of my favorite units because of how unique they were. Being able to direct level them up to environmental situations was way nice.
Yup, AI usually is not good when picking units to recruit, specially when considering large mounts of gold and playing in Master's version of the era, the lot of times I've won just because I just started to outnumber them and getting flooded of lv2/lv3 and having an slower in hand to deal with the difference of quality in my 60x55 randomly generated maps testing.

Still it's always interesting to see what AI loves to spam because it's huge prefference at recruiting too often fire casters when I played Dark Blooded allowed me to realize about Dark Blooded previosuly weakness to heavy fire casters. Stuff like there were like 3 lv3 units that could one hit the lv2 shamans (Master of Fire, Great Efreeti & Dwarvish Runeartist) worst is that their attacks were massive 70% chance to hit and ONE-HIT interactions are not far balanced at all :lol: :lol:

Off-topic, talking about almost last hit interactions that are or not intentional but fun to mention are the following :P
--- Lv2 Cosmic Eye and their 23-1 Reality can almost last hit a 24 full HP lv1 Air-elemental :lol:
--- (recently spotted & fixed) , Lv3 Master Mage could exactly 70% of 1 hit Lv2 Thari's Storm Spheres at dealing their exact 41 HP in damage. So decreased by 1 their lightning damage to prevent this to happen, additionally now lightning has only 60% to hit in defense to prevent Orocia / RPG abuses.
--- (recently spotted & fixed) Lv2 Dark Blooded shamans were succeptible of being 1 OSOK (One Shot One Kill) from multiple lv3 fire ranged attacks of massive 1 strike damage.

Also as this update gets releazed, would like which one of the salamanders you liked the most, I had particular issues at designing Lv3 of Blue Salamanders (took me a real while to realize a viable model, role and stats for them!) and Lv3 Yellow Salamdenrs to deal about their low counter-attack damage in comparation of all other 4 salamanders but considered to just give a new attack-special in addition of their backstab that will help them a bit in offense (which will be the most useful if you the unit to deal massive damage and not planning to 1 hit kill with backstab). You will check all that in soon :mrgreen:
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IPS wrote: February 12th, 2023, 6:00 pm Yup, AI usually is not good when picking units to recruit
Yeah, especially for custom event-based abilities, which the AI is unable to evaluate the worth of, which EoMa has a fairly decent amount of, especially on higher levels.
IPS

Post by IPS »

ForestDragon wrote: February 12th, 2023, 6:28 pm
IPS wrote: February 12th, 2023, 6:00 pm Yup, AI usually is not good when picking units to recruit
Yeah, especially for custom event-based abilities, which the AI is unable to evaluate the worth of, which EoMa has a fairly decent amount of, especially on higher levels.
And also lot of EoMa units got nerfed/readjusted to at least make easier to AI to deal againist human players abusing out of situation that AI cannot calculate (post fight healings such as +BloodLust / +Swallow / +Bone-Collector , etc) that unlike drains AI cannot evaluate all that while moving, forcing it to suicide waves of units to deal much fewer damages than AI's calculations (same happens with AE - Ele's Fallen and their drains to everything on hit).

Sadly... I cannot help that much at making AI understand how many of these specials are worth to spend some extra gold's to get the unit, but STILL... decreased significantly the un-intentional "ignorance" from AI when attacking enemy units with odds methods of healing.

Also in many times, I've also decreased the weight of other specials that AI will not count for sure like "hard-landing" or "furious-death" not just for the AI but also for all players because high value of that makes worth sending these units to fight alone and bulk/tank the most damage to then using that Area-of-Damage to only enemies leaving in situations I've tested they were not very fair at all.

Same like how Lv1 Nightmares have no +magical in defense, as it showed it's too abusive againist mayority of factions out of EoMa, as not all factions have cold/arcane mages to deal these units and factions like northerners are toast at dealing pre-reworked Lv1 Nightmares as well a tons of AE factions.

I've played decens of hours to almost any kind of gamemod, I know very well about AI's limitations when playing, and this is also an important aspect because actually huge mayority of players are using PvE gamemodes while PVP is very uncommon to see in lobbies right now.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.0 - new units and 24fps standing animations!

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 4.0 is now available!

This is one of the biggest EoMa releases in years. Era of Magic Resources 2.0 has also been released. So what's new?
eoma4.0-promo3.gif
eoma4.0-promo3.gif (984.84 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
24fps standing animations
The main visible feature in this update is the addition of 24fps experimental standing animations to ~88 units (most, if not all, lvl0 and lvl1 units + some lvl2s and almost all units from the Barbarians faction!). I plan to make more, but first I'd like to know your opinion on these.

At first it can be pretty overwhelming to see so many different units moving subtly while standing on their tiles, compared to default. But I find it really interesting - BfW battlefields have never felt so lively! Also, the animations can be used to easily identify unit roles: berserkers, even while standing, are very energetic and actively move their bodies, while big muscular units breath slowly and move in a sluggish way.

The decision to make animations mostly for lvl1s and lvl0s was dictated by the fact, that these unit levels are the most common in typical PvP. So practically you will see the new standing animations in 80-90% of your games.
The animations are wip and I consider them 'experimental'. I am still developing the new technique which I've been using to make them. From my observations I can say, that the 'rigged' animations works best for big, beast-like units. You will find some issues here and there especially with humanoid units. Feel free to report such cases, so I can improve the animations in the future.

eoma4.0_salamanaders.png
eoma4.0_salamanaders.png (42.42 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
New and reworked Salamanders
Another big feature of the 4.0 release is the Salamanders' expansion pack! There are now 5 new lvl3 salamanders: Lava, Swamp, Desert, Shadow and Marine. Lvl2s have 24fps animations (+ lvl3 Lava Salamander). Not only that, all have excellent descriptions written by Edwylm! But the most interesting thing about them is that lvl3 Salamanders have many custom AMLAs granting them new powers, so it is really worth leveling them up. The units and their upgrades were designed by IPS! Thanks!

New unit descriptions and balance improvements
Apart from the features below, there are many balance tweaks, 2 new weapon specials, 1 new ability and 9 new unit descriptions written by Edwylm and Tarcil. I wanted to include more, but the rest required more work, so ultimately didn't make its way to 4.0. Maybe next time!

I would like to thank ForestDragon, who helped me a lot with testing and balancing the 4.0 release. Without him, I wouldn't make it on time. Thanks! :)

Soon I'll post detailed statistics about standing animations and my plans for EoMa in 2023. Oh, and don't forget we'll be celebrating the 15th EoMa anniversary on 23th February!

Enjoy Era of Magic 4.0 - the only add-on with dancing goblins! ^_^

The full 4.0 changelog is below:

Code: Select all

## Version 4.0
 ### Gameplay
   * added experimental 24fps standing animations to most lvl0 and lvl1 units (+ some lvl2s) and to almost all units from the Barbarians faction
   * added 5 new units: Lava Salamander, Desert Salamander, Swamp Salamander, Salamander Marine, Shadow Salamander
 ### Units
   * Barbarians:
     * Cyclops Goliath: decreased the 'furious death' damage from 21 to 14; decreased the 'cleave' damage multiplier from 0.66 to 0.5
     * Cyclops Warmonger: decreased the 'furious death' damage from 15 to 10; decreased the 'cleave' damage multiplier from 0.5 to 0.4
     * Goblin Invader: XP from 110 to 126
     * Roc Master: set impact resistance to -10%
     * Barbarian King: added the growing fury +1 weapon special to the 'sword' attack
     * Barbarian Lord: XP from 190 to 175
   * Dark Blood Alliance:
     * Temple Guard: set village defense to 60%; added the skilled weapon special to the 'sacred spear' attack
     * all lvl2 Salamanders: XP from 100 to 110
   * Destroyers:
     * Bone Beast line: added the Scavenger ability
     * Infernal Vortex: hitpoints from 48 to 50; changed the regeneration value from +8 to +9; changed the 'aura' attack damage from 18 to 17
     * Atokpi Charger: added the skilled weapon special to the 'charge' attack
     * Crimson Atokpi (RPG): ranged attack damage changed to 10
     * Harbinger: arcane resistance from -10% to -20%
     * Doom Bringer: arcane resistance from -10% to -20%
   * Kharos:
     * Inspired: set frozen defense to 40%; set frozen movement cost to 2
     * Kharosian Impaler: set frozen defense to 30%, set sand defense to 40%; set mountains movement cost to 2
     * Kirios: hitpoints from 88 to 90; arcane resistance from 90% to 85%, fire resistance from 70% to 65%, cold resistance from 70% to 65%
     * Solar Master: added the skilled weapon special to all melee attacks
   * Runemasters:
     * Perfect Drone: level from 2 to 3; XP from 50 to 150
   * Sky Kingdom:
     * Shadow Mage: set deep water movement cost to 3; set deep water defense to 30%; changed 'cursed knives' attack damage from 7-3 to 8-3
     * Master of Earth: changed the nature regeneration value from +8 to +10
     * Master of Earth: changed the nature regeneration value from +5 to +6
 ### Graphics
   * added 24fps standing animations to 88 units
   * changed the look of Cyclops Warmonger
   * minor sprite improvements and cleanup
 ### Abilities
   * new ability: kill and run
   * new weapon specials: Collector, Greater Marksman
   * replaced the Bone Collector ability with the Collector special
   * made the divine weapon special work against monsters as well
   * made the Bloodlust and Collector abilities work only on offense
 ### Descriptions
   * added descriptions for Lava Salamander, Desert Salamander, Salamander Marine, Shadow Salamander Swamp Salamander, Fire Swordman, Heavy Cavalry, Inspired and Kharosian Impaler
 ### Code
   * added EOMA prefix to RECRUIT_MENU_ITEM
   * fixed a lua error in the stun weapon special
   * changed all occurrences of coastal_reef to reef in [defense]
   * various code improvements to satisfy wmllint
   * fixed missing textdomains
 ### Translations
   * updated the translation template file
Creator of Era of Magic

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Just found out how antishield works. LOL. I'd assumed it was some fancy WML... Cute.

I am trying to find out why custom damage types don't seem to get translated in the unit info box when hovering over the HP and was hoping that EoMa's secret type would have been translated. <grin> Imagine my surprise to discover that it is intentionally not defined having different resistances and its translation does not appear as a result.

Anyways, been busy but hope to soon start up a long game with the latest 4.0 EoMa.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Atreides wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 4:51 am Just found out how antishield works. LOL. I'd assumed it was some fancy WML... Cute.

I am trying to find out why custom damage types don't seem to get translated in the unit info box when hovering over the HP and was hoping that EoMa's secret type would have been translated. <grin> Imagine my surprise to discover that it is intentionally not defined having different resistances and its translation does not appear as a result.

Anyways, been busy but hope to soon start up a long game with the latest 4.0 EoMa.
Yeap, the idea of that attacky type is intentionally to be full 100% damage on almost all cases. Still there are very few exceptions that are resistant to Secret as Ravana said as in Guru. Curious fact is that by Guru's secret ressistance alteration he can increase this value in very specific maps as in the case of Orocia or Deep Shrine if getting ressistances upgrades while this does not occur in the rest of units that have no secret ressistance alterations.

But would be nice to mention that units that have secret ressistance alterations is becuase they have huge knowledge about magic and all its form.

About secret being exploited againist enemies on survival maps and other kind of maps, well... most scenarios creators have to work a little more to put this attack type into a rasonable limitation if they're looking for it.

Btw Inferno8, there are any idea/goals for next month March?

Ravana, I think it's finally a good momment to port actual EoMa to ageless, as there have not been any changes in years in ageless, and most balance changes will benefit AE community. I only fear how people could potentially start abusing out of Lv2 Harbinger nad Lv3 Doom Calls but it's the real only thing I really care lol . Still while not as bulky/tanky as Air Avatar used to be, the plague on ranged... combined of magical will hit hard, but it's just 50% defense everywhere and ressistance in overall lower than Air Avatar, could mean that AI can at least have a chance to kill these units. Let's hope that the stronger impact ranged attack avoids this unit from using plague attack while in defense, as it as more RPG potential as an attack, but what about the tons of kills that the unit will do in player's turn?.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

eoma-15th-anniversary.png
eoma-15th-anniversary.png (113.58 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Exactly 15 years ago Era of Magic was released for the first time on the official BfW 1.2 add-ons server. This may come as surprise to many of you, but there were only 4 factions available in the era at that time (63 units total). Now EoMa has more than 280 units, 8 factions, tons of special effects and animations and is considered one of the best add-ons ever created for Battle for Wesnoth!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the great people without whom this success would have been unattainable: ForestDragon, IPS, Ravana, Espreon, Alarantalara, Konrad2, chewan, Atreides, sur.nhm, fog_of_gold, Edwylm, Slug, AzuSkyLigh, Sagez, barowei, James Revan, vul6, Werian, kalfat, all Translators, BfW Developers and many others! If it hadn't been for them, Era of Magic wouldn't be where it is today. Thank you!
IPS wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 7:51 am Btw Inferno8, there are any idea/goals for next month March?
Well, I was recently asked to playtest two UMC campaigns, so I'll probably be focused on that in March.
In case of EoMa it would be nice to add 24fps standing animations to another faction. Currently only Barbarians are (almost) fully animated with that new technique of mine. But I consider this a rather long term goal.
There is still the option of adding more units, like Cyclops Magi (with teleport) but this is also a long term goal for 2023.
Also, I need to focus on some final improvements to TLU, because I'd really like to finish development of the campaign and make something new.
IPS wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 7:51 am Ravana, I think it's finally a good momment to port actual EoMa to ageless
There were some new commits related to translations since 4.0 came out, so I think it would be better to maybe wait for 4.0.1. But if Ravana believes these new changes are of small significance, he can update Ageless anytime he wants. I have no major objections.
Creator of Era of Magic

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I update based on git version not addon server version. However, I suspect current style of updating will ignore all translations by changing textdomain with https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... oMa.py#L27. If there is translation language I should test against I could try if it stays translated if I remove that rule. I suspect even then it would not work by default, but possibly would if I add copying of something from translations folder.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 4.0.1 is out!

This small update is focused mainly on translations. Thanks to a trick suggested by egallager I was able to extract translations for different languages from already existing .mo files. Now those who wish to translate the era, no longer have to start from scratch. All they need to do is go to: https://github.com/inferno8/wesnoth-Era ... a_of_Magic , download a .po file corresponding to their language and start translating.
More detailed instructions here: https://github.com/inferno8/wesnoth-Era ... readme.txt

This release also includes some dimensional gate fixes (by Toranks) and other minor tweaks.
Enjoy! :)

Full changelog:

## Version 4.0.1
 ### Code
   * restructured the translations subdirectory
   * removed all macro references from translatable strings
   * dimensional gate fixes
   * added _server.ign
   * fixed typos
 ### Translations
   * updated EoMa_translation_template.pot
   * recreated .po files for available languages from .mo files
   * updated the Polish translation
   * updated translators_readme.txt
Creator of Era of Magic

inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 4.0.2 has been released!

This small patch fixes a serious bug with translations not working at all when downloading the era from the server. Now everything should be ok. I'd like to thank Toranks for finding the bug. :)

Full changelog:

## Version 4.0.2
 ### Code
   * fixed translations not working (restructured the translations subdirectory)
 ### Translations
   * updated translators_readme.txt
Creator of Era of Magic

Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

inferno8 wrote: February 10th, 2023, 9:07 pm […] For example I've heard many people still prefer the old Air God sprite over the new one. So... which of my older sprites do you like the most? ;)
I’m pretty late, but in my case I’m nostalgic of the old Earth elementals (the entire line, including earth avatar and god).
Previous ones looked a bit more rock solid, with a slightly more plain design but one that fits. New earth elementals looks a bit "blurry" in a way, and I’m not a fan of the green circle, although I don’t hate it either.
I admit tho that the old earth elemental looked like it had a beak :lol:
Occasional Sprite animator, and maker of the following add-ons :
Warfare of far lands (1.16)