Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.8.3 - 5 new units!

Post by IPS »

Well, didn't test the new units, but reviewed their stats and terrain properties, still found some issues specially with resistances in 3 units. This will be quick and direct.

- Mirrorshield has an unnatural 10% possitive blade resistance while being -10% to both pierce and impact, I'm not sure if it's the unit intention (most likely this is not being the case because of being swift-foot) , but it's the first thing I've realized.
- Kharosian Javalineer and Impalers actually have steadfast skill, which makes them blatantly OP, special that is not needed considering the lv2 javalineer is among lv2 that gets to lv3 the fastest (could say, it's most likely a case of a copy/paste error)
- Resistances in javalineer and impaler are signicantly different than propossal (at being more similar to Avenger than unit original propossed stats), to make the easiest will mention the wanted resistances appart of steadfast removal.

Javalineer
0% to blade/impact/cold
20% to pierce
30% to arcane

Impaler
0% to blade/impact/cold
15% to fire
30% to pierce
40% to arcane

Additional case
Lv3 of Mirror Shield and Lv3 Sky Guardian units gain only 1 random trait and this trait can be only resilent, quick and fearless. This is far different from lv1 hidden faces and lv2 mystical warriors as the lower levels got changed to have a more normal trait distribution, but this wasn't yet added to lv3 variants.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:08 pm So I think it can be a good idea adding a lv2 melee variation of Matriarch of Pain. Let's now talk about Pain Mistress :P
I like the concepts of these two units a lot. The 'pain absorb' ability/special matches perfectly with the theme of Tharis faction :D

Fun fact: Speaking of female Tharis warriors, some of the veteran EoMa 1.0 players might remember there was already such a unit available at that time many years ago. She was called "Bladefury" and could level up to "Chainlady".
bladefury-chainlady.png
bladefury-chainlady.png (7.7 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Both were unique female warriors equipped with a special razor-sharp "whip-chain". :shock: If I remember correctly, the Chainlady could swing her weapon performing a devastating area-of-effect attack, similar to Omen's all-around blade attack. At some point I removed these two units, but I can't remember why. Maybe it would be a good opportunity to bring them back somehow. They could act like light-armored area-attack troops, complementary to Dark Warriors. Bladefury could have a melee blade attack with cleave, while Chainlady could have all-around instead. Unit line characteristics: low hp, 6 move points, low damage (pierce or blade) but area melee.

@IPS: do you think there is enough room for these additional two units? I personally consider Tharis a fairly balanced faction right now. With the new units coming (Pain Mistress, Matriarch of Pain and maybe Frontliners), wouldn't that make things too messy or unbalanced in your opinion?

And thanks for mentioning the issues with new units. The patch will be ready in few days ;)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
IPS

Post by IPS »

inferno8 wrote: May 26th, 2022, 11:11 am
IPS wrote: May 25th, 2022, 10:08 pm So I think it can be a good idea adding a lv2 melee variation of Matriarch of Pain. Let's now talk about Pain Mistress :P
I like the concepts of these two units a lot. The 'pain absorb' ability/special matches perfectly with the theme of Tharis faction :D

Fun fact: Speaking of female Tharis warriors, some of the veteran EoMa 1.0 players might remember there was already such a unit available at that time many years ago. She was called "Bladefury" and could level up to "Chainlady".
bladefury-chainlady.png
Both were unique female warriors equipped with a special razor-sharp "whip-chain". :shock: If I remember correctly, the Chainlady could swing her weapon performing a devastating area-of-effect attack, similar to Omen's all-around blade attack. At some point I removed these two units, but I can't remember why. Maybe it would be a good opportunity to bring them back somehow. They could act like light-armored area-attack troops, complementary to Dark Warriors. Bladefury could have a melee blade attack with cleave, while Chainlady could have all-around instead. Unit line characteristics: low hp, 6 move points, low damage (pierce or blade) but area melee.

@IPS: do you think there is enough room for these additional two units? I personally consider Tharis a fairly balanced faction right now. With the new units coming (Pain Mistress, Matriarch of Pain and maybe Frontliners), wouldn't that make things too messy or unbalanced in your opinion?

And thanks for mentioning the issues with new units. The patch will be ready in few days ;)
Thing about tharis is that as said, tharis had problems with having portable impact attack type, reason why I kindly propossed a whip variation of witches, the new unit addition BALANCES correctly an existing lack as if the map is not correct for hydra unit type then tharis will have multiple problems about tankyness and at dealing impact blows that are necessary to kill units like golem.

Was a bit boring depending of hunters's net to slow units like tank, but after the first slowing attack tharis will get short of damage to take out units like Tanks and Golems that in one of the cases it has heavy retaliation damage as well of being inmune to drain, the other case has extreme magical resistance and is only weak to impact.
I think tharis was never that dominant in large map as pre-nerfed cosmic eyes were, in comparation tharis matches were not that disbalanced unlike some sky kingdom and summoners matches; only thing I could potentially find overpowered were their lv2 orbs but these got a slight nerf in their pricing. Also in case the bonus units show to make Tharis be too clever (at certain point of overpowered) then pricing nerf and/or XP nerf will come.

About the extra cold/fire/pierce resistance for pain misstresses/matriarch is that it seemed to me that the unit had low HP and that if used by a novice player they would do notably worse than a default unit like swordsman ... still, the unit gets so much out of important traits like strong and/or resilient ; reason why I have to test before judge.

Also I have doubts if optional blade in whips is a good or not so good idea, but tharis has no strong melee fighter so they might get blade damage type defiency compared to other factions. Most of tharis units that are using blade attack appart of being melee-blade attackers have as well another more exotic use which leaves tharis to not have a strong blade-attack-type if not getting the valuable lv3 dark-warrior with marksman melee. I think, with the addition of bladefury, pain misstress and matriarch of pain do not need any optional blade melee in order to leave a spot to chainlady and bladefury.

Frontliner as optional advancement doesn't seem broken to me, I even analyzed that againist non living units it's just cheap HP for tharis army but it's grace is when it can 'bleed' their enemies to take-off some less damage; variants that I don't know and reason why I didn't modify their propossed physical resistance. In my point of view, they were slighyly underpowered as the other guy propossed because it was just giving extra HP but not much else appart of an extra debuff (and massive 20% less fire resistance which is not gained if going frontliner), so I added him an optional pierce not to make him stronger againist certain types of foes, but indeed to make him to not be countered that easily by toads or calvarymen.

Maybe it's just me that I don't like to deploy hydras in scenarios and only use them if PVP or survival maps. I also comment that hydras without nerf were over-used and shown to be too strong/dominant and even OP, reason why long ago they got defense and resistance nerfs (similar on how toad riders did get a more recent nerf).

Well, about Bladefury, this took me by surprise, I think tharis have one of worst low-level-mass-cleaning if not having hydras. Tharis army is usually somewhat expensive and it might be somewhat common that in the start they be slightly outnumbered (unless you're fighting a somewhat expensive faction like sky kingdom). I think there can be a chance for bladefury, will try a psudo-elusive-foot for them which would be somewhat between tharis assasins and dark warrior foot type.

Well, here might be my concept for Bladefury.

"While not so strong in direct combat as other tharis units are (dark warriors or even witches), Bladefury instead of using sneak tactics goes for a more aggresive fight style which exposes her to take more heavy physical strikes but giving her better angles to hit simultanously various enemy at same time. Also, their thirst of blood makes then to be less suceptible to pain when they attack something"

Bladefury (lv1)
If I'm not wrong , this might be a lv1, right?

HP: 28
9-2 blade melee +triple-strike
Movement: 6
XP: 42
Price: 15g
Advances to: Chainlady

Specials: Tenacity , pain absorb(1)
In offense, units weaknesses are halved.

Defenses:
30% on water / swamp / frozen
40% on sand / coastal rift
50% on flat / village / cave
60% on hills / forest / castle / mushroom
70% on mountains

Idea is that this unit has some extra evasion in specific terrains , but in some aspects this unit is defenetively going to be less tankier than even a disciple (but FLAT terrain not being one of these terrains!).

Resistnces:
-10% to blade/pierce
10% to cold/fire/arcane / impact

Slightly magical resistanct because otherwise the unit is suceptible of dying quickly. Beware, this unit makes more valuable archers with marksman/skilled.

Bonus impact resistance (as well tharis assasins have) will help her to counter bruteforce fight styles.

Chainlady
HP: 42
15-2 blade melee +dread +all-around
9-1 blade ranged
Price: 31g

Dread decreases damage taken in offense by 1/3 less. This special is somewhere in ageless era specials skill codes.

Specials: Tenacity & Pain Absorb(1)

Resistances: the same as of lv1 but 20% to fire / Cold / Impact.
Defenses: the same as of lv1

AMLA Bonuses:
- Upgrade to Pain Absorb(2) and +2 max HP +20% xp
- Add +First-strike to blade whip and +5 max HP +20% xp
- Add +Skirmisher +30% XP.

This unit in both levels have 2 strikes blows with chance of area of damage. While low in health, they have certain chance of having high damage output thanks to bonus Area of Damage. Lv2 also gets the same aura as of Matriarch of Pain which if harming enemy units with her area of damage it will mean in extra healing.

I personally wanted this to be 2 strikes in order it can be a real addition to lv1 and lv2. Unlike omen, this unit will take damage when dealing damage, but with certain chance of sustain to compensate their low base health. Concept not too different compared to Mistress/Matriarch of Pain.

You're free to alterate a bit their melee as I was only caring in how this unit is not being the same of Pain mistress/Matriarch, but they have correct lv1/lv2 fighter damage with some Area of Damage and opportunity in getting healed.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.8.3a is out!
This small update includes fixes of recently found bugs and that's all. The next one (3.8.4) will be far more interesting, because Tharis are going to receive 6 (yes, six) new units. So stay tuned!

Full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.8.3a
 ### Gameplay
	* fixed veteran/fanatic AMLA issues
 ### Units
	** Kharos:
	 * Kharosian Javelineer: removed the steadfast ability; set resistances to: 0% (blade, impact, cold), 20% pierce, 30% arcane
	 * Kharosian Impaler: removed the steadfast ability; set resistances to: 0% (blade, impact, cold), 30% pierce, 40% arcane, 15% fire
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Mirrorshield: set resistances to: -10% blade, 0% impact, 0% pierce; the unit has 2 traits now
	 * Sky Guardian: the unit has 2 traits now
Creator of Era of Magic

Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

I don't like this idea with new units for Taris.

Now this faction is in good condition. It has high mobility and the ability to harass the enemy (dark warriors + assassins + berserkers + sorcerers), while at the same time sacrificing the ability to fight on defense (hydras and witches can take damage, but they are not good tanks).

I'm afraid that adding a good frontline for such a faction will break the balance and unique play style. I don't like how you add "just to have" units and close old faction weaknesses. :(

If you really want to make units, maybe you should create another faction :hmm: ?
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

Checked the list of the unit count per faction, so now the next in the line with the fewer unit is the Kharosian and the sky kingdom.
Had a few new idea's for units, which are mostly concept that could have a few thing changed if necessary

Sky Kingdom is a tricky one, they have 7 base recruitable units but 3 of them have a little amount of evolutions. (mu, golem and magical eyes)

Architect
Advances from: Sculptor
HP: 52
10-2 impact melee
11-3 cold ranged +magical
6-3 impact ranged +slow, precision
4-2 cold ranged +sculpts, precision
XP: 160
Price: 58g

abilities : Statue copy (Can create a living statue from any adjacent petrified unit (or any of your normal unit, but it ends the turn of both units). The statues have similar stats than the unit they are based on, but will alway be slightly weaker, slower, more resistant and weak to Arcane. Making a statue cost 50% of the original unit price, therefore making copy of weaker units can be beneficial to save money)

Kharosian Bulwark
Advances from: Hoplite
HP: 70
11-3 pierce melee +first-strike
20-1 impact melee +shielded (when this weapon is selected in combat, the first successful enemy hit during the fight will be reduced by [amount] damages)
9-2 pierce ranged
Movement: 5
XP: 150
Price: 54g (I'm not good with prices)

abilities : same as hoplite

Advances to: nothing

Resistances:
Same as Hoplite, maybe slightly higher

Kharosians have alway been a slightly more defensive faction than most, but neither the hoplite nor the avenger ever could level up to lv3. Kharosian Bulwarks could be part of the generals of the Kharosians, but more focused on the defensive part, knowing all the tricks to defend a castle during a siege or holding chokepoints rather than crushing the enemy in battle trough brutal force or peculiar tactics. They have very big shields, being slightly worse for attacking but great in terms of blocking attacks.
Occasional Sprite animator, and maker of the following add-ons :
Warfare of far lands (1.16)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Mechanical wrote: May 28th, 2022, 3:47 pm I'm afraid that adding a good frontline for such a faction will break the balance and unique play style.
I too believe Tharis unit composition is really good right now, but I don't believe adding the new units will break the balance. First of all, most of these suggested units are lvl 2-3, so it's highly unlikely players will be able to get them in a typical MP match. Both Frontliners and Pain Mistresses are alternative advancements to already existing units, so you'll always have a choice to pick old units (if you don't like the new ones). And finally, Tezereth and IPS proposed units which not only fit the theme of the faction, but their additions seems reasonable in terms of balance. And I buy it.
The only really visible change for all players would be the addition of Bladefuries. But the truth is these units aren't new at all because, they already were part of Tharis faction a decade ago, so they can be considered a genuine EoMa 1.0 content, which is just going to be restored in the next version. :)
Mechanical wrote: May 28th, 2022, 3:47 pm I don't like how you add "just to have" units
As I said a few days ago: " Each new unit addition to EoMa should prove to be beneficial in terms of balance and overall gameplay experience." And the new units meet the criteria (at least on paper). If they turn out to be unnecessary and balance-breaking, I'll remove them. But for now, let's give them a chance. ;)
Tezereth wrote: May 28th, 2022, 4:37 pm abilities : Statue copy (Can create a living statue from any adjacent petrified unit (or any of your normal unit, but it ends the turn of both units). The statues have similar stats than the unit they are based on, but will alway be slightly weaker, slower, more resistant and weak to Arcane. Making a statue cost 50% of the original unit price, therefore making copy of weaker units can be beneficial to save money)
I never planned to make a lvl3 for Sculptor but this ability looks really intriguing. It seems quite complex though, but it somehow reminds me of the clone spell from HoMM III. Maybe these living statues could be illusory clones with all their stats unchanged but living only 1 turn? What do you think?

In case of Khariosian Bulwark, it seems ok, but I'd like to know IPS opinion first.

By the way, we need a better name for Frontliner's lvl3 because 'Dark Warlord' is already taken. Any ideas?
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

Tezereth wrote: May 28th, 2022, 4:37 pm Checked the list of the unit count per faction, so now the next in the line with the fewer unit is the Kharosian and the sky kingdom.
Had a few new idea's for units, which are mostly concept that could have a few thing changed if necessary

Sky Kingdom is a tricky one, they have 7 base recruitable units but 3 of them have a little amount of evolutions. (mu, golem and magical eyes)

Architect
10-2 impact melee
11-3 cold ranged +magical
4-2 cold ranged +sculpts, precision

abilities : Statue copy (Can create a living statue from any adjacent petrified unit (or any of your normal unit, but it ends the turn of both units). The statues have similar stats than the unit they are based on, but will alway be slightly weaker, slower, more resistant and weak to Arcane. Making a statue cost 50% of the original unit price, therefore making copy of weaker units can be beneficial to save money)

Kharosian Bulwark
HP: 70
11-3 pierce melee +first-strike
20-1 impact melee +shielded (when this weapon is selected in combat, the first successful enemy hit during the fight will be reduced by [amount] damages)
9-2 pierce ranged
Price: 54g (I'm not good with prices)

Advances to: nothing

Resistances:
Same as Hoplite, maybe slightly higher

Kharosians have alway been a slightly more defensive faction than most, but neither the hoplite nor the avenger ever could level up to lv3. Kharosian Bulwarks could be part of the generals of the Kharosians, but more focused on the defensive part, knowing all the tricks to defend a castle during a siege or holding chokepoints rather than crushing the enemy in battle trough brutal force or peculiar tactics. They have very big shields, being slightly worse for attacking but great in terms of blocking attacks.
Let's check, two of the most useful lv2 units without lv3 are getting propossed to get a new lv3 unit, I really appreciate a lot these pair of units as how they're with their lv2 cap, still, in case of architect, sculptos are quite impopular compared to black mages because of the fact of not having any lv3 and then underrated by players just because of this reason.

I never have problems at reading new unit propossals as to be completely sincere, EoMa has unit deficiency for potential campaign content, I would even mention to Inferno8 that if he discontinues an unit from mainlain EoMa era, still maintaining the code of the unit as Core/Campaign content unit to expand more Era of Magic content and lore.
Inferno8 that if he discontinues an unit from mainlain EoMa era, still maintaining the code of the unit as Core/Campaign content unit to expand more Era of Magic content and lore.
Yup, this case is most likely for actual lv2 and lv3 Mobile defense turrets, even if actually the sprite doesn't fit my specifications and looks akward how such machine has much better mobility than dwarvish tank at being too similar in sprites, it doesn't negate it's really fantastic job to consider a kind of "gatling gun discontinued model" that might be an hybrid in terms of mobilty and resistances of the actual 2 tanks models but being only piercing ranged (probably acting as hybrid fighter considering gatling guns are heavy but short ranged, which means it could of have an equilibrated melee/ranged pierce damage output)

If certain new unit ends in being too strong because of fixing a whole factional weaknesses, as said, the unit can get nerf in any XP, price or stats nerf, nerfs are welcome and done as long there is something that is defenetively not going fine in overall ecosystem balance.

In mind, these lv2 without lv3 are really niceeee even without lv3, reason why If implemeting the units units, would of lower their stats as both are meant t to be in support category. Sculptors being slowing impact ranged proven to be highly effective againist certain units like matriarch of emptyness or mobilet turret defense units.

Let's talk about how I would manage these pair of units

Kharosian Bulwark
HP: 65
8-4 pierce melee +first-strike
20-1 impact melee +shielded (any time this weapon is used , unit gains +5% to all resistances, calculation done after steadfast)
8-2 pierce ranged
Price: 51g

Resistances: same as hoplite

On this case, I lowered by 5 HP the new lv3 unit HP, it doesn't need to be that much tankier considering it's afterall support unit, you will also preffer to gamble a lower level shielder/protector/avenger instead of lossing a potentially stronger lv3 bulkwark. I made the attack much weaker in terms of retaliation (even if 8-4 is somewhat equivalent to 11-3, but in day time the difference is significantly higher about being 10-4 vs 14-3). No kharosian unit has 4 strikes Impalers are not four strike melee appart of platinium warrior's blade melee. Another reason to change their melee is that it's being somewhat too similar to Impaler.

As no advancement lv3 unit, you will not be highly interested in killing, leaving the kill for someone else is easier with more strikes but of less damage. I personally don't like the idea of 9-2 ranged but if I decrease his ranged to 13-1 which would be the value I would want to change it to, then I would been buffing him really hard in Orocia gameplay and we got enough of shielders/avenger/protectors spam in this map :P ... so only 8-2 pierce ranged. These nerfs are directly targeted in orocia gameplay at most because belive me, people are still spamming shielders in survival maps and orocia is one of the cases that this unit could be a bit too strong.

About special weapon in shield bash melee, maybe, if this attack is used unit resistances are increased by 5% at both attack and defense (which means this unit would be 45% (20 x 2) +5% to physical and 0% to magical also if covered by protection aura then its resistances would be 55% (20 x 2) +5% +10% to physical and 20% to magical.

Another change I've made to the unit is lowering slightly the price.

Architect
9-2 impact melee
10-3 cold ranged +magical
3-2 cold ranged +sculpts, precision

abilities : Statue copy
Resistances: 30% to arcane and cold (+10% more to both)

Lowered his damage at making him only wishable in case player wants to use his skill. Slight buff on unit ressistances. Leveling up this unit is not that worthy same case of Bulwark, but still, it's better than the +veteran AMLA bonus. XP values will be the same of both units, a valid reason why lowering their damage as both are inteded to be support.

Another interesting thing to consider is that sculptors are neutral. Meaning that at least in day time they can be used to deal equivalent damage than void mage (10-3 vs 8-4, but with a different damage distribution)

Architect may be somewhat overpriced unless making a good use to Statue Copy, as an extra, players don't necessairly have to buy it and we don't really know the profit the special can provide if correctly used by a really good player.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: May 28th, 2022, 7:54 pm I would even mention to Inferno8 that if he discontinues an unit from mainlain EoMa era, still maintaining the code of the unit as Core/Campaign content unit to expand more Era of Magic content and lore.
Sure, I can always reuse such "decommissioned" units for potential campaigns ;) Also, by keeping unused units' code and images, other content creators would still be able to use them for their own add-ons.

Status report: I am working on sprites for new Tharis units right now. Here's the Frontliner and his advancement Crimson Blade (the name was suggested by ForestDragon). They are still wip so they might be a subject to change.
frontliners-preview.png
frontliners-preview.png (9.29 KiB) Viewed 965 times
Edit: Finished sprites for Pain Mistress and Matriarch of Pain.
painmatriarchs-preview.png
painmatriarchs-preview.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 932 times
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

Btw, changing completely off the topic while we wait for the rest of new sprites for the new units :P

Sky Kingdom has a curious fact in elementalists, is that they can advance to 3 of 4 the elements, where Earth element is missing. Is there any Lore reasons why elementalists do not train Earth element or on there can be a pair of new Earth mage and Earth Master? :hmm: in case they would be implemented I have a particular idea of certain aspects of both units :hmm:

About Deflect special in Mirror Shield, would want to proposse a FAQ in skill special as well propossing some aspects of this skill:

Defect overall mechanism propossal
- Could it not work againist non magical attacks of these elements? as already high dodge is strong counter specially if hihgly resistant to these elements.
- In case agree with first propossal, not working on +Skilled / Marksman / Lesser Revenge / Revenge as these are improved physical accuracy boosters
- Working correctly againist +Magical and +Enchanted (as well againist +Magical(defense) and +Magical(offense)
- In case of +Precision if being on the mentioned elements, working correctly but lower damage deflect than in +Magical and +Enchanted.
- Extremely accurate special hits (90% or higher as +Always-Hit) not aplying this special because the attack comes from envoiroment, meaning there is not a particular direction to deflect and therefore there is not harmful deflect damage to the atacker.

Values of Deflect could of be readjusted in case I see in my tests they become too high, same with unit pricing or stats as these are just theorical propossal with a +Special which is passive which we don't really know its real weight (still, in Orocia gameplay or RPG / Survivals) it may be too strong reason why I would be glad to recheck the unit as I have chance to test it correctly..
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

IPS wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:04 am changing completely off the topic while we wait for the rest of new sprites for the new units
I just need to finish the remaining sprites, make animations and prepare config files and abilities for all new units. This is going to be biggest EoMa expansion in the 3.0 cycle, so it may take some time. I estimate it will be ready within 1-3 weeks. ;)
IPS wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:04 am Sky Kingdom has a curious fact in elementalists, is that they can advance to 3 of 4 the elements, where Earth element is missing. Is there any Lore reasons why elementalists do not train Earth element or on there can be a pair of new Earth mage and Earth Master?
You would be surprised how often I get questions about missing Earth Mage in the Elementalist line. The reason there are only 3 elemental paths for this unit is because of an outdated lore. Initially I wanted Sky Kingdom to become a nation which completely abandoned the surface of the planet at some point in their history. That's why the profession of an Earth Mage would no longer be a thing. Currently two units discreetly fulfill the role of this missing unit - Guru of Magic and Sculptor.
Currently I have no objections to introduce Earth Mage and Earth Master to the Sky Kingdom faction as full-fledged units. :) Someone has to be responsible for maintenance of all floating isles after all ^_^
IPS wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:04 am - Could it not work againist non magical attacks of these elements? as already high dodge is strong counter specially if hihgly resistant to these elements.
- In case agree with first propossal, not working on +Skilled / Marksman / Lesser Revenge / Revenge as these are improved physical accuracy boosters
I am not sure if I am getting this right. Do you suggest that physical elemental attacks like a regular "fire arrow" should not be affected by the deflect ability? Well, this is how it works right now. Below is the filter which is used to trigger the deflect ability:

Code: Select all

#define DEFLECT_MAGIC_FILTER
    special_id=magical,eoma_enchanted,eoma_magical_offensive,eoma_magical_defensive
    type=fire,cold,arcane
    [not]
        type=secret
    [/not]
#enddef
As you can see, it currently works against magical, magical (offensive), magical (defensive) and enchanted. Things like Skilled / Marksman / Lesser Revenge / Revenge cannot trigger the deflect ability in the current version.
IPS wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:04 am - In case of +Precision if being on the mentioned elements, working correctly but lower damage deflect than in +Magical and +Enchanted.
I proposed something like that a few weeks ago when discussing the ability with ForestDragon. If you want the precision weapon special to be affected by the deflect magic ability like other magical attacks (but with lowered damage modifier), I can do this.
IPS wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:04 am - Extremely accurate special hits (90% or higher as +Always-Hit) not aplying this special because the attack comes from envoiroment, meaning there is not a particular direction to deflect and therefore there is not harmful deflect damage to the atacker.
Exactly.
IPS wrote: June 5th, 2022, 5:04 am Values of Deflect could of be readjusted in case I see in my tests they become too high, same with unit pricing or stats as these are just theorical propossal with a +Special which is passive which we don't really know its real weight (still, in Orocia gameplay or RPG / Survivals) it may be too strong reason why I would be glad to recheck the unit as I have chance to test it correctly..
I have a feeling the deflect ability may be really OP in survivals and other similar cases (even in the current implementation). I do agree further tests are needed.
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

inferno8 wrote: June 5th, 2022, 8:11 am I have a feeling the deflect ability may be really OP in survivals and other similar cases (even in the current implementation). I do agree further tests are needed.
It's a thing I would need to see by myself in testing. Facts to consider:
- Most units are reistant to the attack type they are used to manage (Tharis resistant to cold) , Fire Casters usually fire resistant, Prophet of Light resistant to Arcane, etc.
- But also, Mirror Shield has own ranged attack too.
- Deflect will also work in melee ranged, thing that impairs very few exceptions.

And yep, will have to consider if +precision (fire/cold/arcane) would be deflected too, but my idea is about YES but lower deflect damage, but would need testing and viewing if it's more balanced if deflecting precision or not.

Well will post my concept about Earthmancer and Earth Master, while very rarely seen in the surface on earth, they're not that rare to be seen in the floating island , still they're sent sometimes to expenditions of unkonwn lands as they can "read" the ground's recent story (like if extreme climate events like ice ages or extreme droughts) even knowing where Aeromancers and Master of Air can scout safely with lowest chance of a dangerous climate or even unkown habitants of the region. Master of Earth can also "feel" the "grounds feeling" which when out of the floating island is useful to predict important historical catastrophe or even canceling an expedition before it becomes too dangerous. While somewhat distant of their peers and usually unsocial, are men of good feelings and most of them are introverts (well, this is a propossal of their lore, you can feel free to modify it to suit better for the Lore XD)

Let's talk about what is interest to most of here, the unit stats and propsose some lv2 and lv3 stats :P

Earthmancer Lv2 (Neutral)
Advances from: Elementalist (in case they come from mainline elementalists ofc)
HP: 45
Earth Strike 8-2 impact melee +first-strike +skilled
Earth Strike 10-2 impact ranged
Stoning 4-4 impact ranged (in case it's not mainline then 4-5)
Price: 32g
XP: 85
Advances to: Master of Earth

Resistances:
20% to arcane and Impact
15% to fire and cold
10% to blade and pierce

Specials: will also mention it in terrain properties

Movement Costs & Defenses:
30% defense and 2 movement cost in swamp
50% defense and 1 movement cost in caves
60% defense and 1 movement cost in hills
60% defense and 2 movement cost in mushroom grove
70% defense and 2 movement cost in mountains

50% defense in forest , 2 movementt cost and 4 self healing if on forest tile.

This unit is most likely an hybrid fighter of somewhat low health, but in gameplay it still remminds to tharis mages but with fewer damage. Has good protection againist melee specially if on higher terrain defenses which can make him somewhat durable (in specific situations, more tankier than lv2 war mage). Sky Kingdom has not good output of impact damage appart of golems, so this could even be an interesting addition to mainline. Ironically more melee than ranged, these mages can be a decent barrier againist melee while striking range mage at close ranged and counting to deal decent ranged damage as long as enemies is at bad defense, if on higher defense then this unit is more melee.

Master of Earth Lv3 (Neutral)
Advances from: Earthmancer
HP: 63
Earth Strike 11-2 impact melee +first-strike +skilled
Earth Strike 9-3 impact ranged +marksman
Stoning 4-7 impact ranged
Price: 54g
XP: 126
Advances to: Master of Earth

Resistances:
30% to impact
20% to arcane
15% to fire / cold / blade / pierce

Specials: will also mention it in terrain properties

Movement Costs & Defenses:
30% defense and 2 movement cost in swamp and frozen
40% defense and 2 movement cost in sand
60% defense and 1 movement cost in hills and cave
60% defense and 2 movement cost in mushroom grove.
70% defense and 1 movement cost in mountains

Their special will also apply in mushroom terrain too but with a variation: When this unit stands in these type (forest and mushroom) of tiles, will also self heal+6 and cure from poison alied units (but not healing them) as a kind of clay medicine that is known to treat poison.

Summon
- Earth Elemental (19g)
- Earth Avatar (40g)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Good news. I've finally finished all sprites for new units. I turns out there are 10 new units total coming in 3.8.4, so the next update will be really big! :D

The sprites you see below may slightly change during the animation phase, but I decided to share them anyway.
bladefury-chainlady.png
bladefury-chainlady.png (9.05 KiB) Viewed 821 times
architect-earthmagi.png
architect-earthmagi.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 821 times
kharosian-bulwark.png
kharosian-bulwark.png (13.9 KiB) Viewed 821 times
The colorful robes of Architect may surprise some, especially that Sculptor's clothes are gray. I decided to make him look that way to emphasize his higher social status.

@IPS: The name Earthmancer sounds a little bit odd in my opinion, so I decided to change it to just Earth Mage.

Speaking of Sky Kingdom magi, a long time ago I came up with a concept of an unusual unit, which I never implement - Chronomancer. He was a lvl3 advancement for Black Mage and was capable of "manipulating time". At that time I was unsure how to successfully translate such thing into an aspect of gameplay. But now I have some ideas:
- no counter magical attacks (stops time)
- high defense (predicts moves)
- manipulating Time of Day around himself (creates time-zones)
Unfortunately all of the above are probably seriously overpowered, so if you people think it is not worth adding such unit, let me know. I'd like to know your opinion.

Btw, here's the current faction/unit table:
planned-for-3.8.4.jpg
Creator of Era of Magic

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Chronomancer. He was a lvl3 advancement for Black Mage and was capable of "manipulating time". At that time I was unsure how to successfully translate such thing into an aspect of gameplay. But now I have some ideas:
Maybe you can get some inspiration from this Hero class of the same name?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Tezereth

Post by Tezereth »

That chronomancer idea sounds really interesting, and fits the theme of the sky kingdome.
I may have some idea for some abilities :
-Perhaps an attack that sends back enemy units where they were on the previous turn?
-An ability that does the same on allies, useful to allow a safe retreat of important unit (could also give them back the hitpoints they had on the previous turn). The ability would end the chronomancer turn.
-An attack that trap an opponent in a « time bubble » (unsure how it would work, and how to not make it too similar to the sculpt ability, so it might just get scrapped)
Occasional Sprite animator, and maker of the following add-ons :
Warfare of far lands (1.16)