Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadMax

Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Post by MadMax »

Flight to Freedom is the story of the great Drake leader Malakar, who saw the near-destruction of his tribe at the hands of a dark wizard, and of how he gathered his shattered people and set out on a dangerous journey across unknown lands in the hopes of bringing them back home.

Feedback thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=40195

Current version: 5.1.7
Compatible with: Wesnoth 1.11.10+
Last updated: 7/29/14

available on the campaign server, 21.9 MiB download

original first post (storyline has been significantly changed):

I looked in User Scenarios, and couldn't find anything. I think I may produce a Drake campaign. I have some of the storyline, but until Sithrandel compiles a Mac binary, I can't start on it.

The characters:
Malakar, the hero
the tied up Master
?

The storyline:

1. Several drakonians are in a Wesnothian plantation as slaves. The hero, Malakar, leads an uprising. You have to liberate the slaves and kill the taskmaster.
2. The drakonians enter the master's house and have to fight his bodyguards to capture him. NOTE: Once the master is captured, he is tied up, and Malakar drags him along until Scenario 8
3. The party grabs the master, and finds out about a caravan full of gold headed to his house. The drakonians ambush it and get the gold.
4. The party leaves the plantation, and Malakar decides on a plan. Set sail to a southern island, build up an army, and attack Wesnoth from the southern coast. In the meantime, they have come to the River of Skulls, and must capture it. They forge an alliance with pirates during the scenario.
5. Sailing down the river, the party arrives at a Wesnothian naval base. They must destroy it.
6. The party finds open ocean, but along the way is ambushed by Sea Serpents and Cuttle Fish.
7. The party lands on an island (not sure about the name), and sets up camp. However, orcs have overtaken the island, and Malakar must destroy them.
8. The master escapes, and forges an alliance with the orcs and some thugs which inhabit the area. Malakar must fight the orcs and the renegades.
9. The Wesnothians land on the island. Malakar cannot defeat them, so he flees underground. Malakar must hold them off long enough so that he can escape.

I am not sure about the rest, or even how many scenarios I want.
Last edited by MadMax on July 30th, 2014, 2:38 am, edited 22 times in total.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

10. While underground, Malakar encounters dwarves, who try to kill him. He must kill them.
11. Malakar finds an underground river. However, past that is a dead end. Malakar must follow the river, because the dwarves and humans are behind him
12. (evil, evil) Since drakonians are not good in water, the humans catch up with him. To save himself, (evil, evil), Malakar triggers a rockfall, which traps his experienced units on the other side.
13. Malakar makes it to the surface. However, the survivors of the rockfall have been getting mad. If Malakar has 500 gold, he can give it to them to avoid a fight with the rebels. After Malakar has chosen, the scenario ends.
14. If Malakar didn't pay, he must fight the rebels. If he did pay, the rebels laugh and take the money. He must now fight a stronger rebel force.
15. Since the experienced drakonians were able to kill the humans, they link up with Malakar. However, the humans and dwarves are now undead and attacking. Malakar must get on the boats and set sail.
16. (final battle) The voyage is successful. Malakar lands on Wesnoth, and must fight several human armies. If successful, the Wesnothians agree to give the drakonians their own land. Malakar forms the Drakonian Empire.
17. (20 years later, in the time of Eastern Invasion) Malakar is dead. His daughter Hassa is now queen of the Drakonian Empire. However, the undead from Eastern Invasion have also attacked the drakonians. Hassa must lead the Drakonian armies against the undead. (turin, if this campaign is ever finished, can you put a reference to these drakonians in your scenario?)
18. (final battle 2) The Wesnothians decide to attack the undead head-on. The drakonians now are fighting side-by-side with the humans against the undead. If victorious, the Drakonian Empire and Wesnoth unite, and Hassa is queen of the new Wesnoth.

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sounds great. But I worry about epic 18+ scenario campaigns. Why not do a shorter one first, and then expand it if it works. I just always worry people have the huge plans and then never finish them. We already have a few examples of this (like the knalgan campaign).
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Indeed. Short and sweet is the best way to start.

But apart from that - I'm not sure I entirely like the premise of the campaign. Drakes are stronger and more powerful than humans, and they can fly. I really can't see humans ever managing to enslave them - not in any numbers, at least.

In fact, the idea was floated around earlier that the Drakes kept Lizardmen as slaves, and that they only recently escaped and now loathe the Drakes.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Drakes (former drakonians) where created by Neorice for his own campaign.. it will be polite to wait for him to finish it. Or better, ask him to help with it.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

the 18 scenarios were just 18 ideas. I probably will only have 10 scenarios. But anyway, I did not know neoriceisgood was making his own campaign. The humans enslave the drakonians because there is a unit called the drakonian slave, and also because of mind control spells. I have the map for scenario 1 done, pm me if you want it.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i would prefer it if the campaigns weren't integrated... nothing against you or neorice, but i dislike the drakes (as they are called in-game), and would prefer to not have them take over wesnoth. Wesnoth belongs to the humans. Drakes should not take over wesnoth. It makes, to me, no sense.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Maybe in the north of Wesnoth = Drakonian territory...Wesnoth is very big for lots of new enemys and races...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

I don't much care, but surely reptilian units would come from the south.
The Eponymous Archon
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes, to the North of Wesnoth it is cold, and the climate is harsh.

Reptilian units would prefer the southern climate where it is warmer.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Anyway, here's the first two scenarios. I'm probably going to ditch level 3, and have the pirates ally in level 4.

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

here's a new version. I added scenario 3 to it. Can anyone playtest this and tell me if it's balanced? I'm especially worried about levels 1 and 2.

turn123

Post by turn123 »

I think level one is way too hard.

I find that the horsemen usely kill the dragon slaves when they attack without the dragons slaves being able to land a hit.

Possibly make it start at nightime with less horsemen and the slaves closer together?
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

1. It's a miracle level one works in the first place, I've been having a lot of trouble with it.
2. I think what I'll do is either use an effect tag to reduce their attack and hitpoints, or reduce their numbers by half. I will probably make it start at night, it makes sense that the revolt would appear under the cover of darkness. But yeah, level one is hard, and it's supposed to be.
3. Can someone PLEASE draw me a decent picture of a caravan?
4. The way I beat level one is that I use my slaves on the lower part of the map to gang up on the enemy horsemen, and move the slaves on the upper part of the map onto villages. They get no defense benefit, but they get healing, and can do massive amounts of damage when retaliating due to the charge ability of the horseman, if they survive (which they usually do). I try to use Malakar's fire breath to finish off severely damaged enemy units. Also, you just have to kill the taskmaster, not all the horsemen. If the taskmaster is alone (which he usually is), gang up on him. You don't have to worry about losses either, as you will gain the ability to recruit slaves in level two, and slaves don't level. With level two, I use sheer numbers to overwhelm the enemy, as slaves are cheap and I have around 350 gold at this point. With level 3, I use burners, mages, and fighters to hold off the elves and send 2 petits to chase down the caravan and destroy it. Burners kill shamans, mages kill fighters, and fighters and clashers kill archers, but, IIRC, clashers are more expensive, and I use fighters instead.
5. This campaign would GREATLY benefit from the slave being able to level up. Neoriceisgood, what is the slave supposed to level up to?

Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I think an update has been added to cvs, check on the experiance tree...

and please, try avoiding any change in units stats for balancing purposes...

actually you should avoid that at all cost (maybe for scenaristic reasons, but that's all)

players know the game balance instinctively, and changing that in a scenario would disturb that greatly, on a usability oint of view, it would be catastrophic...

put less guards if you want, but don't change the stats...