Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chrysophylax

Re: Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Post by Chrysophylax »

I'm an idiot. The problem dirtywhitellama and I noticed can be easily solved by just changing the defence ratings for castle and flat to 60, to match the swamp and shallow water ratings. The deep water won't be a problem, as bridges over deep water will take the lower value (50).

yma9 and Nova, I can't tell whether you're developing this or not. If not, could I take over? I've done a fair amount of WML coding, I've been playing and coding for a long time (I think I started with 0.8) and I'm a native English speaker. I also have some ideas for additional content, and a list of things I want to change - nothing like working on other people's campaigns instead of my own!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Hello all, sorry for the massive bump, but I just wanted to pop in and see what's happened with FtF since I've been gone. I'm a professional student now, so I have little to no free time most days (I certainly can't spare any time for Wesnoth), but I was curious if FtF is still being worked on or maintained, and if there are any more plans for it.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

MadMax wrote:Hello all, sorry for the massive bump, but I just wanted to pop in and see what's happened with FtF since I've been gone. I'm a professional student now, so I have little to no free time most days (I certainly can't spare any time for Wesnoth), but I was curious if FtF is still being worked on or maintained, and if there are any more plans for it.
Based on the date on the add-on server as well as the posts on the preceding page, it looks as if Nova made some updates and one upload of a version to the 1.8 server in Feb 2010, but since has become too busy to do any more work. He has not been around for a little over two years now, and yma9, who also showed interest in taking it from him to maintain, is equally missing.

I believe it's currently just languishing on 1.8 until someone comes to give it some love.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I had a little bit of time after a test recently, so I thought I'd try to get this working again for BFW 1.11.9. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it'd be (my command line skills are certainly a lot better than they were six(?) years ago), so FtF 5.1.0 should be up soon if not already. Note that this will only work on 1.11.9+ (because of a terrain code change). I didn't change very much of the gameplay (except to take advantage of new WML like micro AIs), and there's a few things that don't work (in particular, rain in Open Ocean, neutral bird movements and the old canyon terrain), but this should at least make it easier for anyone else who wants to take it over.

BTW, I am not committing to providing any further support for this campaign, but it should run on Wesnoth 1.11.9 now.

EDIT: rain fixed with inferno8's code, canyon fixed with alarantalara's code.
Last edited by MadMax on March 10th, 2014, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

A bug I encountered in Wesnoth 1.8.6 using version 5.0.0: the message about a lightning elemental was displayed when I played a replay of 08_Landfall, but no Thunder Spirit appeared. This was followed by a string of errors (related to recalling my units, as I recall). A later attempt to view the replay worked correctly when animations were turned off for the first 6 turns.

Attempting to view the replay for a third time caused a series of errors beginning turn three, each to the effect that random_number could not be found. The messages about spirits occured correctly but no spirits appeared. None of my recalls could be found. Replaying again turn-by-turn with animations off caused the random_number errors but no messages; my recalls continued to fail. A fifth replay, continuous with animations off, also threw random_number errors from turn 3, failed to spawn spirits and failed to recall. A sixth replay from a fresh load of the replay, done continuously with animations off for the first 8 turns, functioned normally (assuming that failing to show speech when spirits appear is normal for animations-off replays). A seventh continuous replay with animations off failed as before. An eighth replay, done by turns, without animations and from a fresh load, functioned without errors for the first five turns. It gave the correct speech from all sides on turn 6 (which was also when the first spirit spawned) and thereafter, but a ninth replay failed in the same way as before. A tenth replay, done as the eighth through to turn 4, worked correctly. An eleventh replay, with animations turned off only for the player's turn 3, also functioned correctly, but a twelth done as the eleventh and without reloading failed on turn 3 despite animations being off.

As far as I can tell, something happens on the player's turn 3 that causes random_number to not be found; this does not occur on a fresh load with animations turned off at the appropriate moment; but this does occur when a replay is reset to the beginning and subsequently run without animations. Make of that what you will. (I have attached the replay so that you may also suffer by its iniquity.)

I also observe that the replay does not show the fix I suggested for unhitable boats and that it is not currently implemented in my version of the campaign. I recall trying it out and reverting, and so presume that it did not work, but am not sure that I restarted Wesnoth after making the change. The invincible death boat was much less of a problem in 08_Landfall because the bridge is much shorter, but was still a balance-affecting bug (that I abused the heck out of).
Attachments
FtF-Landfall_replay.gz
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
(35.89 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Version 5.1.1 out for Wesnoth 1.11.9+, lots of bugfixes.
Chrysophylax wrote:A bug I encountered in Wesnoth 1.8.6 using version 5.0.0: the message about a lightning elemental was displayed when I played a replay of 08_Landfall, but no Thunder Spirit appeared. This was followed by a string of errors (related to recalling my units, as I recall). A later attempt to view the replay worked correctly when animations were turned off for the first 6 turns.
Sorry, but I'm not supporting version 5.0.0 (or FtF in general, I mostly just updated it to work with Wesnoth 1.11.9+ to provide a working version for someone else to take over further development). The invincible boat bug is fixed in 5.1.0 and 5.1.1.

EDIT: 5.1.2 pushed out, more bugfixes. Probably going to be the last update unless anything major comes up. This campaign is still open to maintainers!

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

5.1.3 released. Squashed a few more bugs, including one that caused issues with the map editor.

EDIT: 5.1.3.1 released, fixed a game-breaking bug in scenario 19.
EDIT 2: 5.1.3.2 released, scenario 17 should no longer be nearly impossible.

EDIT 3: 5.1.4 released, miscellaneous bugfixes and additions.

AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The wescamp script (which extracts the translatable strings from your campaign, as you've set translatable to true in your PBL file), gives the following output:

Code: Select all

[WARNING 2014-04-11 13:05:04,013]
pot-update in addon Flight_Freedom:
non-empty node stack at end of ./Flight_Freedom/macros/story.cfg at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 203, <FILE> line 1131.
WML seems invalid for ./Flight_Freedom/macros/story.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
expected closed node 'top' got 'attack' at ./Flight_Freedom/macros/essential.cfg:72 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 72.
WML seems invalid for ./Flight_Freedom/macros/essential.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
The issues are the unbalanced macros, STORY_LIBERATION and NO_SLIDE. Like wmllint, you can fool wmlxgettext using comments. You can see how to use them at the feeding macro in core/macros/abilities.cfg
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

AI wrote:The wescamp script (which extracts the translatable strings from your campaign, as you've set translatable to true in your PBL file), gives the following output:

non-empty node stack at end of ./Flight_Freedom/macros/story.cfg at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 203, <FILE> line 1131.
WML seems invalid for ./Flight_Freedom/macros/story.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
expected closed node 'top' got 'attack' at ./Flight_Freedom/macros/essential.cfg:72 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 72.
WML seems invalid for ./Flight_Freedom/macros/essential.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
The issues are the unbalanced macros, STORY_LIBERATION and NO_SLIDE. Like wmllint, you can fool wmlxgettext using comments. You can see how to use them at the feeding macro in core/macros/abilities.cfg
Fixed.

FtF 5.1.5 released. Bugfixes + a few miscellaneous goodies.

AI
Developer

Post by AI »

MadMax wrote:
AI wrote:The wescamp script (which extracts the translatable strings from your campaign, as you've set translatable to true in your PBL file), gives the following output:

Fixed.
Confirmed.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

FtF 5.1.6 released. A few bugfixes + miscellaneous additions.

Elendil

Post by Elendil »

I really like that even if you got few time right now, you're still "maintaining " the campaign :)
osaridsaris

Post by osaridsaris »

Spoiler:
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

osaridsaris wrote:
Spoiler:
Fixed, FtF 5.1.6.1 released.

@osaridsaris: I would recommend replaying from Survival with the fixed version, since otherwise weird things are likely to happen much later in the campaign with two Theracar units.

osaridsaris

Post by osaridsaris »

MadMax wrote:
osaridsaris wrote:
Spoiler:
Fixed, FtF 5.1.6.1 released.

@osaridsaris: I would recommend replaying from Survival with the fixed version, since otherwise weird things are likely to happen much later in the campaign with two Theracar units.
I took your advice and restarted, no more double hero.
Spoiler: