Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nova

Re: Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Post by Nova »

Hi, Ankylosaur.

I'm afraid I haven't had time to look at this yet, and work is sending me out-of-town until at least this next Thursday. I haven't forgotten, I'm just swamped in other things. I'll get there someday!

Sorry!
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Flight to Freedom: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=690
Co-Author, Maintainer
JezterMan

Post by JezterMan »

I had the same problem. I did modify some units on the previous map (Falling Rocks, i think). The one with the lava cave, i couldn't beat it so i added serpants and gryphons to my recall list.
Anyway... solutions?

:::::: posting save file :::::::

game ver 1.8.5
win vista
fullscreen res
Attachments
FtF-Betrayal.zip
(20.76 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
Something_Dreadful

Post by Something_Dreadful »

Oh my god, this is probably the funniest error I've ever seen in a game:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seems like Malakar has got his schizo hat on today... :lol2:

Dude, this campaign seems pretty awesome so far. Thanks for the awesome campaign, and double thanks for this hilarious error. :wink:
dirtywhitellama

Post by dirtywhitellama »

Hi,
Been enjoying this campaign (downloaded thru addons in v1.8 something) though I had to use debug mode to skip Open Ocean and give myself a little extra cash at the beginning of the next scenario (since I didn't get a bonus from Open Ocean) - within 5 turns no matter which way I went I had the Unforgiver surrounded by sea monsters and sinking :(

Anyway I wanted to mention a bug I have consistently noticed with boat units in which on a bridge, they have 100% defense. I think this is because, even though they cannot move through other terrains, their defense for terrains other than water and swamp is 100%.. and I remember reading somewhere that on a bridge the defense is calculated by the greater of either grassland or the water tile's defense (if I remember correctly). Might be an easy fix. As it is, a boat on a bridge is unkillable - no good.

Just started A Drake Escape or whatever the name of the one where I have to make it to the cave entrance is. Haven't actually "started" it yet though. Once again thanks everyone for their hard work on this campaign, enjoyable and at least a change of pace from all the human and elf campaigns that come with the game! I find drakes' low defense annoying but, what can you do? :)
carbonpenguin

Post by carbonpenguin »

I just encountered a bug in the Betrayal scenario. Theracar was "killed" in the previous scenario, which was accompanied by a dialogue about how "I might never fight again". Then, in Betrayal, the dialogue about him giving a death sentence goes off, but he doesn't appear to fight. I waited 30 turns, but he never shows up, and the player ends up losing the scenario by default.
Nova

Post by Nova »

I'm afraid this is a known bug. Unfortunately, my world has become exponentially more complicated in the last year, and I don't think I'll have time to get the next version of FtF out before... maybe Christmas 2011? Certainly not this summer, anyways.

I'm afraid my best suggestion is to cheat your way past that level. I'll be able to fix it someday, but not today. And not tomorrow. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
yma9

Post by yma9 »

Hi,I'm yma9.I think Flight to Freedom is very good campaign.

So I'd like to this campaign go to 1.9(maybe 1.10) of wesnoth.
If you hope it,this work will be mine.
Do you think about it?
yma9

Post by yma9 »

I found 'work' has several meanings later.Because of english isn't my first natural language,I didn't write well.
Nova and Mdmax (and former developers) willl be co-auther forever,and whenever they will return,they will be co-auther always.I'd like to be temporary co-maintainer to go to 1.9(maybe 1.10) to come across.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Hi, yma9.

I've had plans for Flight to Freedom for months, now; and I think I have to admit I'm just not going to find the time to make them happen. "In a few weeks I'll have time" has become "maybe in a few years I'll have time." The result is that FtF has become outdated and slowly vanished, while I have slowly forgotten what little WML I once knew.

So, yes. If you're willing to get it up and running in 1.10, that would be wonderful. I can help with new dialogue or photos, but I can't do the programming part, myself.

Let me know what you need.

Chris
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
yma9

Post by yma9 »

Thanks.So I will make programming part slowly,because of only I saw WML in other campaign playing,but I didn't write before.

a roadmap is:
5.1 for wesnoth 1.8.x(final):
Theracar's revival event in 12_Rockfall before 13_Betrayal moves from starting conversation to end of victory event.
few other bugfix.

6 for wesnoth 1.10:migration to 1.10.
Nova

Post by Nova »

I'll warn you that this may not be a good place to learn WML. Flight to Freedom started early in Wesnoth's history, and it's full of obsolete code, depreciated structure, and useless cobwebs. It's a great campaign (my favorite, anyways), but it's pretty antiquated under the hood.

I won't stand in your way; but I'll warn you that this will be hard.

On a side note, I wouldn't bother spending the time getting 1.8 to work. 1.10 is probably at most a few months off, and will replace both 1.8 and 1.9.
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
yma9

Post by yma9 »

I will not hope to learn WML,just I want to see FtF port on wesnoth 1.9(maybe 1.10)
But it already exists.You might have forgotten,wesnoth UMC-dev project continues to port FtF.
I,WML beginner and can't read english well,have no turn.
goodbye.
vicente

Post by vicente »

I was unable to pass "Open Ocean" as well. What I figureed out is the the player would need to recruit a few more units. So I modified the map to add a keep at the northeast corner. Now I am able to finish this level after sacrifising most of the ships. (I think the intention of the scenario is to play a sacrificial game.) The modified map is attached below. I would wish Nova to replace the old map in the future as well. Otherwise that scenario is almost impossible.
dirtywhitellama wrote:Hi,
Been enjoying this campaign (downloaded thru addons in v1.8 something) though I had to use debug mode to skip Open Ocean and give myself a little extra cash at the beginning of the next scenario (since I didn't get a bonus from Open Ocean) - within 5 turns no matter which way I went I had the Unforgiver surrounded by sea monsters and sinking :(

Anyway I wanted to mention a bug I have consistently noticed with boat units in which on a bridge, they have 100% defense. I think this is because, even though they cannot move through other terrains, their defense for terrains other than water and swamp is 100%.. and I remember reading somewhere that on a bridge the defense is calculated by the greater of either grassland or the water tile's defense (if I remember correctly). Might be an easy fix. As it is, a boat on a bridge is unkillable - no good.

Just started A Drake Escape or whatever the name of the one where I have to make it to the cave entrance is. Haven't actually "started" it yet though. Once again thanks everyone for their hard work on this campaign, enjoyable and at least a change of pace from all the human and elf campaigns that come with the game! I find drakes' low defense annoying but, what can you do? :)
Attachments
drake07a.map
(24.1 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
vicente

Post by vicente »

I just finished the campaign on hard. It is a really hard one, but I enjoy most of the scenarios.
There are a few potential bugs occured in my play.

1. The hero units Malakar and Kogw cannot heal after MALA.
2. The skeleton dragon should die at the end of the scenario 11 "River Skulls". But it is still on the recall list in later scenarios.
3. In scenario 19 "Liberation", there are two teams of purple drake slaves, and they fight with each other.
4. The 180 gold found in scenario 19 "Liberation" is useless, as it is unlikely to have more than 250 gold at the end of the scenario. Maybe to change it to some artifact such as a ring of strength.
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

There is a serious bug in the use of boat movement type. Quoting from the units.cfg file, with the square brackets made round:
Spoiler:

The problem is terrains listed as (x, shallow water), such as bridges, because they cost one movement point and give 100% defence. I've not played all the scenarios or read all the .cfg files, but I do know that I was forced to restart 05a_Blue_River due to the invincible death clipper that could outpace all the units on the bridge (including Kogw!) and dealt piercing damage.

Suggested solution: add code to make boats avoid Chw, Chs and x^Bw hexes. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to do this. I think ai tags in the unit files might work, but it's past midnight, FormulaAI is rather hard to follow and I don't really want to go through all the unit .cfgs until I find an example.