The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dvormann

Re: The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Post by dvormann »

Yesterday or two days ago I observed a game where side 5 recruited 7 units on turn 1. The 7th was a quick footpad on 53,42. It moved to occupy the tavern at 53,38. Side 6 is supposed to recruit in that tavern during turn 1. Without a chance to recruit side 6 was completey screwed.

Suggestion: Replace shallow water 53,41 with deep water to avoid this.
"m" is the key used most in Wesnoth.
reegmas

Post by reegmas »

i cant figure out how to launch a lifeboat, where exactly is the relevant hex?
also i had a heavy infantry man operating the cannon and he was able to move, now i cant get him to stand down nor can i get him past the boarding hex. and when i withdraw or deposit from the bank it does strange things like subtract from my wallet when i withdraw.

after raiding a plantation the trading port always says free there are 0 spices, i think i found why but i dont know how to make it take effect when i change the .cfg file i just want to play locally for the purpose of learning the process of creating mp scenarios heres the code that causes the glitch

# Collect Spices

[option]
message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT2 "items/ornate2.png" _"Free" _"<51,153,255>Collect Spices
There are $jewels_{PLACE}.stock pots to collect"}

where it says $jewels it should be $spices

also the banking problem i had was from this

[option]
message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT2 "items/gold-coins-small.png" _"<51,153,255>Withdraw Funds" _"`Withdraw 100g from bank"}
[show_if]
{THS_CONDITION investment[$side_number].{PLACE} greater_than_equal_to 100}
[/show_if]
[command]
{VARIABLE_OP investment[$side_number].{PLACE} add -100}
{THS_GOLD $side_number -100}

when withdrawing funds it should not subtract 100 from both the bank and the player should be
{VARIABLE_OP investment[$side_number].{PLACE} add -100}
{THS_GOLD $side_number 100}

instead
dvormann

Post by dvormann »

Assigned cannon crew moves to gangplank:

actions.cfg includes

Code: Select all

{THS_MODIFY_MOVE_COSTS x=$x1 y=$y1 castle grassland 99}
and

Code: Select all

{THS_MODIFY_MOVE_COSTS x=$x1 y=$y1 castle grassland 1}
Replacing "grassland" with "flat" solves most issues.

The only units that will screw up are those that
- do not have castle/flat movement of 1 or
- can enter deep water (freed Naga, Meremen, Shyde; I don't think they can crew cannons as role=freed) and any Liches you level your Adepts to. If that's an issue, replace Bridge (Flat, Deep Water) with Bridge (Flat, Impassable) on the map.

A better solution would be to remove the item that changes movement when unassigning the unit and resetting movement costs to the original values. Currently units get tons of objects. That's not very elegant.
"m" is the key used most in Wesnoth.
Darkenneko

Post by Darkenneko »

Hey everyone,
I'm new here but not new to Battle for Wesnoth,
I recently tried this campaign but right at the start I get this.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8570/bfwerror.jpg

What does it mean? :augh:

I've been trying to play alone, but that didn't work, so I tried a few local players and it worked until they died off as I made them attack the guards to get rid of them!
I can't find any servers for it to play on though so I'd rather play by myself, any help would be appreciated.!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

What version of wesnoth? Maybe it was a corrupted download, because I know this error wasn't there last time I played it, and I don't think he's updated it since.
Darkenneko

Post by Darkenneko »

Gambit wrote:What version of wesnoth? Maybe it was a corrupted download, because I know this error wasn't there last time I played it, and I don't think he's updated it since.
The beta one,
I Have a habit for wanting to try the latest greatest...
I'll try the latest stable one with it and see if it works, thanks for the idea. :D
em3

Post by em3 »

Darkenneko wrote: The beta one,
There are seven beta versions by now (eight if you count the RC1)...
ride on shooting star
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

seems i encountered an error during gameplay. it said something like:

[gold] missing required amount=

(check your gold tags. make sure your not missing any or are invalid somehow.)

edit: Also, a lot of your pango tags are wrong. You may want to fix them as well.

edit: It was pointed out to me that the spices causes the gold tag error. i have yet to check it myself but look at that. I am still playing.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks to dvormann and everyone else who reported bugs and found the problems. There's a new version now.

THS 1.4.8 has the following changes:

- Changed all instances of 'grassland' to 'flat' to stop riggers/cannon-operators moving.
- Made the gangplanks bridges-on-void to stop cannon-operators leaving the ship.
- Fixed the bug that meant depositing 100 gold in a bank subtracted 200 gold instead of 100.
- Fixed the bug that meant withdrawing 100 gold subtracted 100 gold instead of adding 100.
- Fixed the bug that meant selling spices didn't add gold.
- Ship upgrades are reset when a flagship sinks, allowing them to be bought again.
- Added more deep water around starting position to avoid the possibility of taking an opponent's tavern on turn 1.
- Fixed the bug that stopped spices being collected after a raid.
- Corrected Pango mark-up.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Coko37

Post by Coko37 »

i was looking through the add-on files and i found a few maps without any cfg files with them is there any way you could add them in so they could be playable?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I think they are just template files and the like, not proper game maps. I know Aetheryn was working on a new high seas map/scenario. It looked quite neat, but I don't know if he finished it.
My current projects:
lukal

Post by lukal »

It would be great if there was an instruction option in game to tell you how to get your ship moving more than 1 square a turn
Pok

Post by Pok »

How can i board pirate ship?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I am no longer intending to maintain the High Seas, having moved onto a pirate-themed campaign: The Altaz Mariners. Check it out.

Some of the elements of this campaign may be familiar to people who've played The High Seas. The Altaz Mariners is basically a fully-fleshed realisation of what that scenario was intended to be. It will also be more streamlined and less confusing.

If anyone wants to take over the High Seas, get in touch. Elvish Pillager made a fine updated version of it, but I am not sure if he is continuing with the project or not.
My current projects:
Slann

Post by Slann »

I know this thread is so old but i've been out of the wesnoth-world. Any plans about updating this map for new versions? I know you have made the Altaz Mariners, but well, they are two differents games actually :D .