The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Post by Aethaeryn »

There are now 6 scrolls to ship every time a player right clicks, is this intended? If so, perhaps mention which ship.

How do you free the prisoners in Gaol? I seem to be having some issues with that still, but perhaps the method to freeing them just isn't made clear in the newest versions.

EDIT: In fact, the prisoners actually walked over and attacked my men, complete with cages around them, though maybe that's because I used debug mode to raid Gaol early and test if it worked.

EDIT 2: I can't seem to right click to see victory points when on the hex where you pilot/navigate, with either red or blue.

EDIT 3: I tested it without debug on and the prisoners still move from their spots and attack me.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Whoops, try 0.4.4.

I've disabled the scrolling command for now.
To free a prisoner you must move your leader next to them, that's all.
I've set the prisoner side to idle, so they shouldn't move.
I've also made it so that the monsters and the manowars no longer share vision.

Thanks again for reporting these bugs.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:To free a prisoner you must move your leader next to them, that's all.
You might want to explain that somewhere in-game. If people tried with just a regular unit moving next to the prisoner, it removed all of their MP (because they are hostile, and have a ZoC) and the prisoner would then have attacked them on their turn (even if the soldier doesn't attack the prisoner). Maybe you fixed the attack part (if not completely, you might want to), but perhaps some dialog in a future version saying, "Hey, we need our captain to pick the lock on this cage!" or something. Probably not big enough to warrant a new version immediately, but would definitely help players.

Thanks for being so quick on fixing the bugs, though. :D
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:I've also made it so that the monsters and the manowars no longer share vision.
Last I checked, the AI doesn't take vision into account. Anyways, can't you just make the cages items?
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
spartadude

Post by spartadude »

Very nice scenario, but i didn't get to play it.Whenever i play it in single player my leader instantly dies at the beginning of the game. And i can't find a guy to play the game with.
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

@Spartadude: Try debugging a leader on one of the ships.

A few problems:
  • Nothing happens when I step on the plantation to the southwest.
  • The Man-of-Wars still follow me around whenever a monster sees me.
  • I tried purchasing a new ship and I got six of them, one for each side.
Thanks.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Another update: 0.4.5
- Fixed bug that stopped plantations being raided.
- Fixed bug that gave you six flagships when you bought a new one.
- Removed the 'custom' sea terrain as it was hacky and confusing.
- Fixed bug that made the pirate's ram a ranged weapon.
- Pirates and flying monster can now board ships 5+6.
- Made the Grand Marshal in the Gaol a side leader so that it can be single player (for spartadude)
- Streamlined the code a bit.
- Hopefully seperated the vision of monsters and Estibanian ships/troops.
- Stopped Estibanians being able to win the game via victory points.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Hm im going to try it out it looks interesting
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

AGHH! I was navigating my ship, and another player tried to board their ship, and my Captain appears on their gangplank. :augh:
6p_-_High_Seas_Estiban_Gaol_replay.gz
(43.64 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Some others. When unmanning a cannon, attacks are reduced by 1, but it cannot go below 1. Unmanning and remanning all cannons will allow a maximum of 9 possible shots.

While manning a cannon the unit's movement costs for Castle and Grassland are increased to impassable, but not for Water. This allows the two units near the gangplank to leave the ship while still manning a cannon. They then cannot get back onto the ship, and you can't unman them.

Thanks.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
ferrikpm

The high seas: Little boat

Post by ferrikpm »

I remember a long time ago the little boats were buyable at... Was it the market or the ship yard?
But now I come back, and it seems that bat cages littles boats and extra gangplanks no longer exist.
But....
why are the little boats still on the map?
Sorry about that. This is an edit. Anyways, i have a glitch to report. Taking 100 gold out of the bank actually takes 100 gold out of both your back balance and your gold.
Last edited by ferrikpm on July 23rd, 2009, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferrikpm,also lire. lire say elves are just better than everyone else. i shoot blind to avoid sights distractions.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Moved the above to this thread, where it belongs.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
dvormann

Post by dvormann »

Got a problem with 0.4.5; Suse 11.1 x64; Wesnoth 1.6.4. precompiled from here.

Selling Spices does not add gold. Spices are taken from the ship but no gold is added.

The code in trading.cfg looks good to me. :?:

Load the save. Move flagship5 into Alsom trading port. Selling rum is fine. Selling spices is not.

EDIT:
Got another problem later in the same game:
- Depositing 100 gold in a bank substracts 200 gold instead of 100.
- Withdrawing 100 gold substracts 100 gold instead of adding 100.

Suggestion: In locations.cfg delete lines 533-536 for depositing. Line 532 is sufficient.

Code: Select all

532 {THS_GOLD $side_number -100}
533 [gold]
534 	side=$side_number
535 	amount=-100
536 	[/gold]
For withdrawing change "-" in line 572 to "+".

572 {THS_GOLD $side_number -100}
Attachments
6p_-_High_Seas_Estiban_Gaol_Turn_13.gz
(137.97 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
"m" is the key used most in Wesnoth.
dvormann

Post by dvormann »

0.4.5; Suse 11.1 x64; Wesnoth 1.6.4 as above.

- When you need to buy a new flagship upgrades like enhanced cargo holds and two extra cannons are kept. The improved melee attack is lost. What's more you cannot buy it again!

- Recruits are always male. Never female. Is that intentional for a pirate scenario?

- Destroyed flagships result in "sunken ship" grafic. How about destroyed Man of Wars? They are even larger than flagships and leave no traces?

- When there are eight or so Man of War ships they act together in one location. They form a fleet. That leaves one are of the map too dangerous for any flagship while the other areas are completely save (exept for monsters). Even if there are only land units in a city and none of them at the shore the Man of War ships won't go anywhere else. They just move around the harbour for turn after turn. That's very annoying when you'd like to buy a new flagship but don't dare because it won't survive one turn. Solved the problem by recruiting 50 heavy infantrymen to take out those ships...
dvormann

Post by dvormann »

dvormann wrote:Selling Spices does not add gold. Spices are taken from the ship but no gold is added.
Solved that one.

Trading.cfg line 284:

284 {THS_GOLD $side_number $spice_{PLACE}.price}
should read

284 {THS_GOLD $side_number $spices_{PLACE}.price}
That works for me.

Edit:
Commandeering enemy flagships is a nice idea. If the ship's original captain is dead. Otherwise he is left in a poor position: He has no ship. And he cannot buy a new one. All he can do is wait for his old ship to get destroyed. Which may never happen.

Suggestion: Allow commandeering only if the ship's original captain is dead.
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

I'm going to start a new thread related to what I'm asking here but this is specifically regarding The High Seas, so I wanted to bring it up here and have people answer me in the new thread. Please follow me over there if you have some input.

Here's the teaser, but don't reply here:
How hard would it be to leverage the code, etc, for The High Seas to integrate it into my own campaign? I really love the way it works with the dual maps of both shipboard action and the banks, etc that get raided.

Follow me to answer.