The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Slann

Re: The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Post by Slann »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:
Slann wrote:I saw a bug on bob's version. You cant exit your units when you take it to the rumble. You can enter, but no go out.... :lol2:
What does this mean? What is the rumble? Can you explain?
Was my mistake, i didnt know the new system to exit units.

PD: i'd swear that i replied you.
shodan

Post by shodan »

is there any way to put this scenario back on the add-ons server or is it not 1.5.11 compatible, etc?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I have updated high seas for 1.6 and uploaded it on the server. I also spent a while trimming it into shape and changing stuff. Here's what I did:
- Ships are now neutral and have the mechanical trait.
- Ships are level 3 to prevent the silly tactic of popping your lieutenant into the sea to give your galleon a leadership bonus.
- I removed scout-bats and slave nets - did anyone ever use them?
- Temporarily disabled a few other shop items.
- Removed the captain skills.
- The gaol is easier to raid, and has better prisoners to release.
- To board a boat, the gangplank must be empty. This is to prevent passengers spawning in the void.
- To disembark from a boat, put a unit on the gangplank and rightclick on an empty hex next to the ship. Doing it like this is less messy - no more 'cheating' by spawning on top of stuff.
- Trade goods are tied to ships rather than leaders: ships are now independent of leaders.
- This means ships can be commandeered and controlled by any player's leader.
- A victory point summary is available with a right-click on your leader, rather than popping up every other turn.
- There are neater messages for raided locations.
- Previously, when a location was raided the stolen goods were sometimes wasted if the booty exceeded your max cargo. Now, the goods go to the local trading port - ready for collection. Just move your ship to the port, and you can fill up with free goods. Of course, this also means that other players can try to steal the booty from under your nose. This stops people moving their ship too far away, and will perhaps lead to fights over the port whilst the raid is going on.
- I cleaned up the code. It might be a tad quicker now, but I doubt it.
Please let me know about bugs. There's probably a few.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Araja

Post by Araja »

Noticeable glitch:

Error whilst playing the game: Unknown unit type "Seargeant"

It's spelled Sergeant not Seargant, I believe you may have an ID typo problem.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I loved bats :augh:

Expendeble little buggers when you need to see whats going on outside.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Araja wrote:Noticeable glitch:

Error whilst playing the game: Unknown unit type "Seargeant"

It's spelled Sergeant not Seargant, I believe you may have an ID typo problem.
Thanks for that. It's fixed now.
My current projects:
Araja

Post by Araja »

Yay, back to a life of piracy!

You don't have High Seas on your signature...maybe you should fix that as well :D
Wajimba

Post by Wajimba »

Hey- awesome stuff!

Found a bug. For player 6 (brown), the man-the-rigging trigger actually applies to the hexes two above the normal location, so (9,42) instead of (9,44). I had to stand on the gangplank to man the rigging, and couldn't stand in the void to get the other two.
This also happens with the captain's chair thing.

Great concept, and great execution!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Wajimba wrote: Found a bug. For player 6 (brown), the man-the-rigging trigger actually applies to the hexes two above the normal location, so (9,42) instead of (9,44). I had to stand on the gangplank to man the rigging, and couldn't stand in the void to get the other two.
This also happens with the captain's chair thing.
Thanks, Wajimba. Well spotted. I fixed that, and uploaded it again.
My current projects:
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

Ah, one of my favorite add-ons ever is back :D

I haven't played this in a long while, so forgive me if I am wrong, but the man-of-wars tend to just follow the player's ship around the entire game. This usually results in your ship getting raped by 3 or more man-of-wars while in a natural harbor with no escape. Usually while your crew is off pillaging the nearby town as well. This makes for a very upset player and an embarrassing replay :(

Thanks for bringing this one back! And all hail Bob the Mighty!
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
Araja

Post by Araja »

Yes, I played it Pandora again and we had to be on the same team and stick together so the United Alliance Of Pirates, Royal Navy, and Monsters, (that share LOS so one finds you and every single creature on the planet is out for your blood) wouldn't pick us off.

Players Vs AI, Like the rest of your creations :wink:
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I love the High Seas, but I found this new version full of bugs when I was playing it:

Black (is that player 5?) couldn't navigate or pilot.
Red (p1) couldn't buy a replacement ship even though he had no ship and had over 300 gold.
Red, depositing 100g into the bank, wound up with about -33 gold although I think he had about 160 or so. The bank gave decimal interests and I'm pretty sure it didn't withdraw into the account to remove the gold. The whole bank thing was really glitchy.
No side could liberate the units at Gaol. They couldn't do it by walking up next to them (as it used to be), or by killing the lvl 4 character, or anything else. Instead, they wound up fighting the prisoners.
There were bugs with the "free" jewels after raiding in the northwest city, that were ready for pick up. They weren't added to the ship of the player who captured the port, or the player who had originally raided the mine, when the capturer tried to collect it.
According to another player (who was blue/black), fully healing ships at the shipyard was broken.

And I'm pretty sure there were other bugs as well, but these come to mind.

Oh, and a suggestion. If yetis only give 1 victory point, I think they should be raised to give 5 or so. That would encourage some people to try some dangerous, bordering-on-suicide, yeti hunts.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks, Aethaeryn. I changed a lot of the code but it seems like I left a fair few holes in there. I'll look into it.

I don't suppose you know what version the host was using? I thought I'd fixed the helm/mast position bug in the last update (which messed up the right-click options for player 5+6).

Also, about victory points... do you think the VP for killing a unit should be equal to the level of the unit? Would you go after a yeti if there were 4 points in it?
My current projects:
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Thanks, Aethaeryn. I changed a lot of the code but it seems like I left a fair few holes in there. I'll look into it.

I don't suppose you know what version the host was using? I thought I'd fixed the helm/mast position bug in the last update (which messed up the right-click options for player 5+6).
I was hosting it yesterday, and I thought I had the latest version. Checking the add-ons server for updates doesn't say that my copy is old.
Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Also, about victory points... do you think the VP for killing a unit should be equal to the level of the unit? Would you go after a yeti if there were 4 points in it?
Definitely, as long as it doesn't screw up the ship Victory Points. Perhaps, then, make the man-of-wars a higher level like the main ships, because it is a significant event for an infantryman to kill or even survive one and it seems like it doesn't yield the XP it deserves.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

There is a new update.
- All the bugs mentioned by Aethaeryn have been fixed (except for the bank one, I couldn't see anything wrong).
- I increased the interest rate of all the banks by about double.
- I reduced the global increase of prices very slightly.
- Hopefully fixed the scroll to ship/deck bug.
- You now get victory points equal to the level of the unit killed. So: 0 for a peasant, 4 for a yeti.
- Pirate ships are now level 2; manowars are level 4.
- Added temples in which can hire mages and dark adepts.
My current projects: