Descent into Darkness

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Orcish Shyde

Re: Undead campaign: Descent into Darkness

Post by Orcish Shyde »

The coloring for the point you must be referring to was intentional; it's a minor spoiler about the plot of IftU, so I didn't want it revealed instantly.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
Tcommander

Post by Tcommander »

I have the new version 1.5.5. When I get to part two of the "small favor" level, there is no grand mage. In the room behind the level three royal guard or whatnot, there is only a level one mage. I have searched the entire level, destroyed every enemy. There is no book or anything. However, on occasion, the game shuts down on an error that mentions the incorrect and illegitimate placement of a unit on side 2 which I can only assume is the grand mage.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Tcommander wrote:I have the new version 1.5.5. When I get to part two of the "small favor" level, there is no grand mage. In the room behind the level three royal guard or whatnot, there is only a level one mage. I have searched the entire level, destroyed every enemy. There is no book or anything. However, on occasion, the game shuts down on an error that mentions the incorrect and illegitimate placement of a unit on side 2 which I can only assume is the grand mage.
Could you post a savefile (any mid-scenario save will do)?
Tcommander

Post by Tcommander »

Okay, I have attached two game saves. One of the ones where it gives me the error, and one at the beginning of the scenario (and trust me, I've retried the scenario and the one previous to it multiple times in an attempt to thwart this bug) They are all zipped together in a .zip archive. If that doesn't work, then I'll upload each separately.
Attachments
saves.zip
These are the save files
(81.21 KiB) Downloaded 870 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, I concluded that it's caused by one of the AI bugs in 1.5.5 (they should all be fixed already though and 1.5.6 should be coming out within a week). If it's really blocking you from getting further in the campaign, I'd suggest just cheating your way through the scenario in one turn by using the debug mode for now. Or editing the scenario to make Karres immobile or something, if you know how.
Siphirath

Post by Siphirath »

Yeah, have verison 1.5.6 and I'm stuck at Alone at Last. I've tried every possible way of winning. I've had Milan get the book and return it, but no effect. Also had my skelly warrior take it back, and then put him and Milan into the Castle. I've also wondered do I have to beat all enemies in the area...66 turns later and much cheating to make sure all my hits struck home, I killed everything. Still no help on beating the mission. Last missions sound fun but not being able to get there is annoying. New patch is my problem or am I not standing in the right area?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Siphirath wrote:Yeah, have verison 1.5.6 and I'm stuck at Alone at Last. I've tried every possible way of winning. I've had Milan get the book and return it, but no effect. Also had my skelly warrior take it back, and then put him and Milan into the Castle. I've also wondered do I have to beat all enemies in the area...66 turns later and much cheating to make sure all my hits struck home, I killed everything. Still no help on beating the mission. Last missions sound fun but not being able to get there is annoying. New patch is my problem or am I not standing in the right area?
It's a bug in 1.5.6. When you've gotten the book carrier to your castle and still nothing happens, just use the debug mode (:debug<enter> and then :n<enter>) to force the current scenario to end. You won't be missing out on anything by doing it at that point.
geysir111

Post by geysir111 »

Hi!

Wesnoth is a great game, but sometimes I encounter problems with the campaigns, some of them not finished too. In The Descent into Darkness campaign, in the scenario "A Small Favor - Part 2", at the end, I've been everywhere, and in the northeast as he asked and couldn't finish the scenario, what's the problem with that? Where should we go when we killed the level 4 mage?

Thanks in advance
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Which version are you playing? Sounds a lot like a bug if you ask me.

If it's working correctly, then moving both Malin AND Darken Volk to the top left corner of the screen _at the same time_ should get you through. If that doesn't, then there's a bug.
Necromancer (campaign)

geysir111

Post by geysir111 »

Versio,n 4.0, it's a bug indeed, how to fix it? I'm not a pro in computer though. I have the Linux (Ubuntu) version of BfW
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

You're using 1.4.0?

It works on 1.4.7 - I recently replayed the whole campaign. Compiling source from the site will take a while but isn't actually that hard; the version on the ubuntu repositories is, IIRC, not up to date.

If nothing else works, type a colon (Shift+Semicolon) to access the command line in gameplay, then type "debug" (without quotes) to enter debug mode. In this mode, enter the command line and type "n" (without quotes) to skip the level.
Necromancer (campaign)

geysir111

Post by geysir111 »

Oh, thanks for the help, but now, it's getting quite difficult, how do we do to, type a colon and what ios the command line I should write in the debug mode? :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

As Orcish Shyde said, do the following steps.

1. Shift + Semi-Colon (You will see Command and a line to enter text in pop up)
2. Type in Debug.
3. Shift + Semi-Colon again (Same line pops up)
4. Type in n.

Or instead of Shift + Semi-Colon, use whatever it is you would on your keyboard to get a colon.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
volac

Post by volac »

Ok I've got a problem with the scenario Alone at Last. So everyone turns out at the expected moment but when it gets to the character sister I corner her in her camp and she is just freaking untouchable be it with archer revenant or even magic. I've even tried to load the same turn several times to see if there's any difference and none she just dodged everything I could throw at her. So my question is: am I supposed to kill her in the scenario? And I think I use the last version of battle for wesnoth. Cheers
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Yes, Dela is meant to be untouchable, because no one's bothered to make dialogue that accounts for her not being on the battlefield when Malin gets away. Nothing you do will work, so don't waste too much time.
Necromancer (campaign)