Delfador's Memoirs

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Delfador's Memoirs announcements and bug reports

Post by Iris »

Fixed both in SVN, thanks.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

11_wasteland.cfg: When meeting the northwest ranger, the dialog does not take into account wether chantal has already been met.
07_night_in_the_swamp.cfg: Death of Lionel needs to be added to the objectives.

08_ur_thorodor.cfg: I must say, this scenario is very hard compared to the previous ones. It's practically impossible to keep, say, a level 1 mage alive because of the flying beasts, and also, there's only one village for the player so I can't (don't want to...) maintain enough units to form a protection wall. I restarted several times until I could lure the birds to me by placing cannonfodder units into the water and finish them off quickly enough before the woses arrive. Suggestion: On easy at least (thats what I'm playing!), use LIMIT_(CONTEMPORANEOUS_)RECRUITS to limit to max 2 gryphons.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Anonymissimus wrote:07_night_in_the_swamp.cfg: Death of Lionel needs to be added to the objectives.
This one was fixed in 1.7.3 already.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Anonymissimus wrote:11_wasteland.cfg: When meeting the northwest ranger, the dialog does not take into account wether chantal has already been met.
07_night_in_the_swamp.cfg: Death of Lionel needs to be added to the objectives.

08_ur_thorodor.cfg: I must say, this scenario is very hard compared to the previous ones. It's practically impossible to keep, say, a level 1 mage alive because of the flying beasts, and also, there's only one village for the player so I can't (don't want to...) maintain enough units to form a protection wall. I restarted several times until I could lure the birds to me by placing cannonfodder units into the water and finish them off quickly enough before the woses arrive. Suggestion: On easy at least (thats what I'm playing!), use LIMIT_(CONTEMPORANEOUS_)RECRUITS to limit to max 2 gryphons.
The bugs you mentioned are fixed in trunk and ready for test.
I also followed your suggestion to limit the amount of gryphons to recruit by Ur Thorodor.

Greetings, Fabi
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

21_clash_at_the_manor.cfg:
victory_when_enemies_defeated=false
is missing
I can still recruit level 2 dwarves (but no level 1's) - dont't know in which scenario the [disallow_recruit] is missing then...
The coordinates for the moveto event that shall open the secret door and the coordinates for the new terrain are thouroughly wrong.

15_save_the_king.cfg:
death of Garard is missing in objectives

22_face_of_the_enemy.cfg:
time of day needs to be underground
i've recruited a steelclad :)

A general comment: The recall lists get swapped too often. I doubt that it was all intentional ;), but the elvish veterans disappeared more than one times into nowhere (although I couldn't recruit veterans in the previous scenario.) Also, if I'm not badly mistaken, I did not ever see again my original recall list (the one from ur_thorodor, there were two white mages with non-zero experience, haven't ever seen them again.) Two times or so is fine, I like the ortherworld scenarios, but if building up an army is not possible a lot of fun is taken away.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Anonymissimus
21_clash_at_the_manor.cfg:
victory_when_enemies_defeated=false
is missing
I can still recruit level 2 dwarves (but no level 1's) - dont't know in which scenario the [disallow_recruit] is missing then...
Bug, not feature
The coordinates for the moveto event that shall open the secret door and the coordinates for the new terrain are thouroughly wrong.
Last time I checked, this was removed, so no secret door anymore.
i've recruited a steelclad
Bug, not feature
A general comment: The recall lists get swapped too often. I doubt that it was all intentional
Feature, not bug. It is the story that dictates the recall list and the story requires this. So, believe it or not, it is intentional. Because the loyalist troops are left at Ur-Thorodor, Chantal troops leave after the battle of Parthyn while the fate of Delfador gets entangled with the fate of Kalenz and the elves- with implications as to why these two know and trust each other in HttT.
but the elvish veterans disappeared more than one times into nowhere (although I couldn't recruit veterans in the previous scenario.)
Correct. Happens after Parthyn and after Saving the King. Because elves have their own affairs to tend to, because Delf is safe with the loyalist army.
lso, if I'm not badly mistaken, I did not ever see again my original recall list (the one from ur_thorodor, there were two white mages with non-zero experience, haven't ever seen them again.)
If not badly mistaken, this is a bug, not feature.
I like the ortherworld scenarios, but if building up an army is not possible a lot of fun is taken away
Who says buliding up an army is not possible? Gamewise it just does not let you get an insanely ueberpowerful army. But you should have a good, strong and versatile ENOUGH army in all scenaria.
At least that's what playtesting showed on hardest difficulty.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

after browsing the code:
I see that I should have had human veterans at the start of 17_a_new_ally.cfg, and I should've had elvish veterans at the start of 20_prince_of_wesnoth.cfg, but I know I had to train a white mage for 18_the_portal_of_doom.cfg and elvish veterans lacked in 20_prince_of_wesnoth.cfg...

In my campaign, I also make some recall list and leader switch manipulation. I noticed a problem there, that it (sometimes) seems not to be possible to unstore units directly into the recall list if the recall list is completely empty before that. It may be an engine bug...I circumvented it by directly creating a unit into the recall list and killing it afterwards. This could be a problem here, too. Side manipulation is surely one of the most critical wml tasks...

/edit
Checked the savegames from 17_a_new_ally.cfg and 20_prince_of_wesnoth.cfg. Recall lists are completely empty, although there should be at least some level 1 unit. Yes, and the error log shows the same messages that it did in my campaign upon opening the savegames:

Code: Select all

20090827 17:58:19 error engine: Cannot unstore unit: no recall list for player 1 and the map location is invalid.
The map location is "invalid" because the units' x,y=recall,recall. "no recall list" is an engine bug I'm guessing. Shouldn't the recall list exist no matter whether it is empty or not and shouldn't it be bound at the save_id ?
Anyway, you can try to fix this problem by creating a unit to the recall list and killing it afterwards like written above.
projects (BfW 1.12):
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Anonymissimus wrote:21_clash_at_the_manor.cfg:
victory_when_enemies_defeated=false is missing.

15_save_the_king.cfg:
death of Garard is missing in objectives

i've recruited a steelclad :)
Fixed in trunk.
No idea, I will investigate later.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Anonymissimus wrote:after browsing the code:
I see that I should have had human veterans at the start of 17_a_new_ally.cfg, and I should've had elvish veterans at the start of 20_prince_of_wesnoth.cfg, but I know I had to train a white mage for 18_the_portal_of_doom.cfg and elvish veterans lacked in 20_prince_of_wesnoth.cfg...

In my campaign, I also make some recall list and leader switch manipulation. I noticed a problem there, that it (sometimes) seems not to be possible to unstore units directly into the recall list if the recall list is completely empty before that. It may be an engine bug...I circumvented it by directly creating a unit into the recall list and killing it afterwards. This could be a problem here, too. Side manipulation is surely one of the most critical wml tasks...

/edit
Checked the savegames from 17_a_new_ally.cfg and 20_prince_of_wesnoth.cfg. Recall lists are completely empty, although there should be at least some level 1 unit. Yes, and the error log shows the same messages that it did in my campaign upon opening the savegames:

Code: Select all

20090827 17:58:19 error engine: Cannot unstore unit: no recall list for player 1 and the map location is invalid.
The map location is "invalid" because the units' x,y=recall,recall. "no recall list" is an engine bug I'm guessing. Shouldn't the recall list exist no matter whether it is empty or not and shouldn't it be bound at the save_id ?
Anyway, you can try to fix this problem by creating a unit to the recall list and killing it afterwards like written above.
Please fill a bug report at http://bugs.wesnoth.org and add a description how that bug can be reproduced.
Truper

Post by Truper »

Hi! I am playing this campaign for the 1st time, and enjoying it. One thing that I must say, though, is that the difficulty of the scenarios varies widely - too widely, imo. I'm playing on normal (standard for me the 1st time I play a campaign), and I breezed through the first seven scenarios almost without effort. It took several tries to get through Houses of the Dead, though - the ghosts go off and get themselves killed, and Delfador is quite vulnerable to lucky skeletons. Did manage to make it through after a few tries, but what came before does not prepare one for the difficulty encountered here. The campaign gets quite easy again after this, until The return of trouble (lack of caps is in the original, should probably be fixed). How much gold must one reach this scenario with to prevail? I got there with 320, and after 3 tries that haven't come close, I'll go back and replay the campaign with an eye toward saving gold. I'm apprehensive, though - it seems to me its going to take a *lot* to achieve victory here. Playing version 1.7.5, btw.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

First, glad you like it so far.
What level is Delfador in Houses of the dead? He should be at least lv2(mine is lv3 and levels to lv4) This was always this way: If Delf is lv1 by Houses of the Dead, then you WILL have problems.

The return of trouble : You should NOT have any control over the gold, because it is not Delf who is fighting here. So no matter what you do with Delf in previous scenaria is irrelevant here. But, I have playtested this extensively ON HARD with only lv1 units available and beaten it very single time. Basically run for the woods and take out the eastern orc first, then gradually beat up the advancing other orcs. You can look at old replays in the various threads (e.g. feedback on mainline campaigns). Good luck!
Truper

Post by Truper »

Level 3. The problem is that if he misses a skeleton, he takes an average of 18 damage. After a while, you're left with the choice of healing him, or running out of turns. The final ambush is also a bit iffy - if he misses one of the skeletons that appear, he gets attacked by 2 with level 3 leadership... Its a unique and interesting scenario, but shockingly more difficult than what comes before, and highly luck-dependent. I probably shouldn't be talking about it, as I have no suggestions on what might be done to "fix" it. I'm just giving impressions for feedback purposes.

On The return of trouble, first off, I *do* have control over the gold - I replayed, and arrived at this scenario with 414 gold, as compared to my previous 320. Perhaps this is not what is intended, but it is possible.

I will have a look for the replays you mentioned, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they will all come from versions where Orcish Slayers/Assassins did not have marksmanship. In campaigns where outnumbered Elves have to contend with vast numbers of Orcs with only their forests to even the score (and there are a lot of these), this change is devastating.

Lastly, rushing the eastern Orc is what I've tried to do all 5 times I've played this scenario, and it even worked once, but for some reason, the 5 units I had left by that point couldn't fight their way across the entire map through the 30 or 40 Orcs remaining from the other 2 Orcish sides in the 8 or so turns that were left.

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

As far as I remember, there are two ways to get the staff, one through the tunnel, which should pose no problems, the second(the one I almost always tried) going straight up along the dry river. The point there is you must NOT delay. So follow the ghosts and go straight up. Just don't enter the villages until you have defeated the leader and gotten the staff.
As for Return of trouble, you may be right,even the best-tested campaigns suffer at some point from the introduction of some novelty. If I can figure out why with lua installed autogen complains, maybe I'll give the new version a try if I can find the time. Or, you could post a savegame from the start of the scenario.
Truper

Post by Truper »

Save attached.
Attachments
DM-The_return_of_trouble.gz
(24.36 KiB) Downloaded 803 times

Truper

Post by Truper »

Just remembered I meant to post this as well:

In Terror at the Ford of Parthyn, there can be problems with the sequencing of some of the events. Forgive me if the details are a bit hazy, I'm working from memory here.

When one of the player's units first sights an undead, the Druid asks what these things are. Well and good. The next event triggers (I think) when the player 1st catches sight of the loyalists fighting the undead north of the river. A discussion about the mage academy ensues, and the player is instructed to move a unit to within sight of the academy to "free" the mages. At this point any remaining loyalists become player-controlled. The problem I ran into was that the garrison commander was still living when I triggered this, and so I used him to move toward the mage academy. This triggered the dialog with the mages, but it lead to the unintended situation where the chief mage is talking about the garrison commander, *to* the garrison commander. I'm not sure if its assumed that the garrison commander will be dead before this dialog triggers, or whether only one of the player's recruited units is supposed to trigger it.

The first time I played the scenario, there were no loyalists left by the time I came in sight of where they were (I concentrated strictly on the western Orc). This meant that the bit about "freeing" the mages never triggered at all, and it was a surprise to me the second time I played.