The Barliss (speculative)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hagow

The Barliss (speculative)

Post by Hagow »

I'm working on a campaign that requires a substansial human presence somewhere far south of Wesnoth. I know it's feasible that some of the ships blown south from the green isle ended up there, but I think that makes for too many Estfolk bumming around. Suggestions?
Also, what do people think of Wesnoth having colonies? They wouldn't have to be remote ones.

When I can pysche myself up and organize my campaign folders properly I'll put up what I have.
Fool, you almost owwwed in a confined space! Do you realize one more "ow" and the whole place'll go up in flames?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

How far south?

I believe that the immediate south is occupied by the shifters, and the rest of the era of myths (werewolves, vampires, etc).
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I still haven't gotten a good feel for the areas around Wesnoth, but I would ask you what you had in mind (as far as human groups and/or enemy groups). I mean, you could just make the campaign on some unknown place on the map, or you could make it somewhere near places like where EP just mentioned. then you could add some Era of Myths influence but not have it all totally overrun by those creatures. Either way, go ahead and make it and then people can shoot it down later. ;p
Hagow

Post by Hagow »

The campaign takes place on a lost island somewhere far, far south. Going by the "Wesnoth is Europe" comparison I've seen elsewhere, Nysiel (human country) is situated about as far south as the congo, and the island some days west of that. Player is a minor Nysian noble, sent north to be diplomat to some newishly discovered Wesnothian colony. First mission takes place here and is an evacuation. Second mission starts with them hopelessly lost and forced to beach on the island, which is initially held by... loyalists?
Other groups that pop up include colonial rebels, hostile Nysians, Saurians, and maybe undead. Most of the fighting is between the various human factions.
Ranger M wrote: I believe that the immediate south is occupied by the shifters, and the rest of the era of myths (werewolves, vampires, etc).
Oooo, me like. If the Nysians are just south of that lot, it gives a reason for the Nysians not to be too interested in what's up north and also fits nicely with their theme of being surrounded by dangerous things. Thanks.
Fool, you almost owwwed in a confined space! Do you realize one more "ow" and the whole place'll go up in flames?
Hagow

Post by Hagow »

Oi. I've done the basic art for a special unit line for use in the campaign, mocked up the first 4-5 scenarios, done a lot of unnecessary WML, forgotten most of it and finally come back. I'm at the 0.1 stage. Sometime in the next week I'll post onto the server, but don't expect it to work "out of the box".
Hagow

Post by Hagow »

As of now the beginnings are up on the campaign server. Please post comments here.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

1- please keep the files lowercase hermit.PNG is different than hermit.png
2- the binary paths are wrong.
3- Missing outlaw queen
Hagow

Post by Hagow »

It appears I cannot change the file extension to .png, it merely reads (for example) hermit.png: "PNG file".

Would the following be proper if hermit.PNG, wiseman.PNG and prophet.PNG (the needed difficulty thumbs) were all in "data/campaigns/The_Barliss/external_binary_data/" and called with "external_binary_data/..."? (v0.2.1)

Code: Select all

[binary_path]
path=data/campaigns/The_Barliss/external_binary_data/
[/binary_path] 

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_THE_BARLISS
[binary_path]
path=data/campaigns/The_Barliss/
[/binary_path] 
[+units]
{@campaigns/The_Barliss/units}
[/units]
{@campaigns/The_Barliss/scenarios}
{@campaigns/The_Barliss/maps}
{@campaigns/The_Barliss/images}
{@campaigns/The_Barliss/utils}
#endif
The Outlaw Queen is a bit of a pain, so for now I'm changing her to an Arch Mage. (v0.2.1)

My laptop has been confiscated because of early morning gaming, so until I set up another computer with the GIMP or something similar, I won't be able to edit the unit art, which sucks because I made a decent "peasant with bow" edit that I really want to add. The Nysian Levy will get new, better stats and an advancement path soon.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Hagow wrote:Would the following be proper if hermit.PNG, wiseman.PNG and prophet.PNG (the needed difficulty thumbs) were all in "data/campaigns/The_Barliss/external_binary_data/" and called with "external_binary_data/..."? (v0.2.1)

[binary_path]
path=data/campaigns/The_Barliss/external_binary_data/
[/binary_path]
Yeah, except that: put the images in external_binary_data/images/ instead (don't touch the [binary_path] though). Then you can refer to them normally like this: image=wiseman.PNG. However, please prefix all images in external_binary_data somehow, so they don't "leak" into other campaigns (as requested here).
Hagow wrote:

{@campaigns/The_Barliss/maps}
{@campaigns/The_Barliss/images}
These two lines do nothing. These kind of includes only include WML (as in .cfg files), and there shouldn't be any in maps/ and images/. You don't need to "include" the images directory in any way other than [binary_path]ing the campaign's main directory (which you already did), since images are automatically looked for in the images/ subdirectories of all [binary_path]ed directories.
Hagow

Post by Hagow »

To those of you who care, I apologize for the lack of updates. I think I've been too distracted by fudging WML.

I don't have that many opportunities to work on this campaign, and I should be working on getting more scenarios in (this is why the dialogue for mission 5 is non-existant). Really right now the only scenario that is holding my interest is the last one, a split territory/arena battle where Vilmond strikes down waves of enemies in an exitless cavern while his army struggles to capture and hold locations outside that will improve his stats and give him a fighting chance. Ooooo. Yes, I want to do that.
GarethBeaumains

Post by GarethBeaumains »

I'm not able to see the Hermit character, regardless of whether the hermit graphic is hermit.PNG or hermit.png (upper or lowercase extension).
elder

Post by elder »

About the Hermit character : I had the same problem. I just changed the name of the png file (adding a digit to it) and changed accordingly the references to it in file Hermit.cfg, and it worked - I cant understand why (some case of conflict ? what with ?). Same thing for other characters (Fey Mage). BTW, I had also to edit Nysian Heir and Nysian Prince cfg files to add the path (/units/human-nysian/) of the png file. It works until an error on scenario 4 signals "unknown unit type Outlaw Queen".

NB. I use version 1.2 (stable), on Linux.
simira

Post by simira »

You just have to copy the Outlaw Queen.cfg from the Rise of Wesnoth/units to The Barliss/units.

Nice campaign. I wish there were more scenarios! :)
hermestrismi

Re: The Barliss (speculative)

Post by hermestrismi »

Is this campaign considered abandoned?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: The Barliss (speculative)

Post by Pentarctagon »

That's probably a safe assumption.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code