The Rise of Wesnoth 19 - The Vanguard

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thrash

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Vanguard

Post by Thrash »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

1.12.6, Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

5 to finish, 7 to finish with good carry over and limited losses.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

If you are aggressive, you lose units. If you aren't, it takes too long.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Good as is.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Vanguard_replay.gz
(107.75 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Vanguard

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6
Attachments
TRoW-The_Vanguard_replay.gz
(70.12 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
LordWolfDan

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 19 - The Vanguard

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Pretty much clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Now that I'm done with elves' side quests, it does get more interesting in this one. The arrival of undead was a good touch

- Making sure to stay out of Chocobones' ZoC

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- It's good as it is
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.5, Hard

6, dealing with Chocobones is dangerous.

Clear.

Good.

Counting the number of reincorcements without forgetting about one of them.

-
Attachments
TRoW-The Vanguard replay.gz
(61.69 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.
I did the elvish quests in the order CABD (Trolls > dragon > beach > undead)
410 starting gold here.

9/10. In hindsight, I'd say this is the first part of the finale gauntlet - three large-scale, difficult battles that the campaign ends with. Levelled veterans are needed, and on top of that a high amount of care is needed to survive the scenarios.

Perfectly clear.

Interesting. What plan could Haldric possibly have involving throwing the Ruby of Fire down a random hole in the ground?

Hordes of high-levelled enemies. And chocobones. Primarily the latent threat of chocobones - as in chess, "the threat is stronger than the execution", so I would very much like them to come into range and die to mages instead of hovering around and forcing me to stay turtled.

In both attached replays, the strategy is the same. Defend the line of sinkholes, which offer natural chokepoints that for once are in our favour. The nature of the terrain is such that we can either plug the gap and let one defender deal with one attacker (offering some defensive leeway and requiring fewer units), or relying on ZOC to let one attacker through, destroying them from 3 hexes the next turn and optionally sealing the hole (requiring more units, but reducing enemy numbers, which is important for finishing in time.) The rest is a very technical rotation of lawful/chaotic tanky units to hold the line and to heal, trying to be maximally efficient with positioning.

Because of the fog of war, I could see the terrain and plan accordingly from the very first turn. Lots of tanky units (knights, highwaymen, royal guards, halberdiers) backed up by lots of healers (mages of light, white mages) is essential. After the initial day's rush to get to the chokepoints, it becomes a turtling game, baiting the chocobos around by moving Haldric and Aethyr left and right within the triangle. When enemy numbers are sufficiently reduced, we burst out of the shell with the immense breaking power of mages of light and other level 3s, then mop up.

10/10. A surprising terrain that allows for careful play and minimal losses against an otherwise overwhelming number of enemies.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No. Well, I beat the scenario blind the first time around with very few losses (first replay), but lost Sir Ruddry. So I played it again and lost the final loyal iron mauler instead (second replay) - I'll take that!
Attachments
TRoW-The Vanguard replay 20210629-015613.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English (second attempt, win)
(88.05 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
TRoW-The Vanguard replay 20210628-232721.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English (first attempt, win)
(84.14 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.1, Lord (Difficult)

5, the undead reinforcements were a problem. I should have timed them better.

Clear.

Clear.

Sitting the Chocobones out.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-The Vanguard replay 20211205-165943.gz
(70.25 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1) 1.16.5 intermediate difficulty

(2) 5 - It seemed very difficult at first (I had to reload after my defense crumbled) but the second time it showed to be quite easy

(3) Kill the leaders is never very difficult to understand

(4) I don't remember a thing, actually - I guess it's not memorable then ?

(5) Trying to hold the triangle at the north end of the fault, when the enemies come from all part

(6) 5 - It's hard to make the defense line, and once you can hold it it's not useful anymore.
Haldric losing the Ruby of Fire and as such not being overpowered anymore is nice though.

(7) Give the enemy serious reinforcements after turn 10, so that the natural defense has an use, and also to make pushing past the defense line into enemy territory quite difficult.
Similarly, probably give way more gold to both the player and the enemy leaders, so that closing the defense line is both possible and a real challenge.
Also give more villages to the enemies in the back of their castles (so, hard to get for the players), so that they keep a regular income.