The Rise of Wesnoth 13 - Peoples in Decline

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shadowblack

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Peoples in Decline

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4 – surprisingly easy. I thought level 2 Drakes would be more of a problem, especially without many leveled archers.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nice.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Killing the drakes without any losses due to having just two leveled archers (and a few Trappers). The serpent wasn’t much of a problem due to good luck on my side.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7 – for being different from the previous scenarios

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I think it’s fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
The Merman lord getting killed due to bad luck.

Comments:
1) The bat at the end was a nice bit of foreshadowing
2) I wish I had known that Lord Typhon will be leaving later. Unfortunately I read the wiki only after finishing the scenario, and I’m not going to replay the scenario0 just to give the trident to someone else. Hopefully I’m not going to regret that later. In any case maybe there should be a (clear) hint that Lord Typhon will be leaving later so that people will know not to give him the trident?
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
fenny

Post by fenny »

1) 1.8.2 medium difficulty
2) 6, it's hard to beat without loosing a valuable unit
3) clear
4) ok
5) save as many levelled units as possible from dying
6) 4, it's a bit cramped, and there is no room for tactics
7) a greater map ?
8 ) i lost lord typhoon to the sea serpent or a dragon
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Lord (challenging/hardest); 1.9.3; 350 starting gold (minimum is 200)

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Okay.

Surviving. Not losing any loyals. Fire Drakes on swamp.

7. It's pretty cool, but every turn is an ordeal, a real control-v-fest.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Less gold on both sides.

(8) Restarts?
Lost several times, restarting from start each time.

(9) WML?
There are no comments.

(10) Replay?
Attached.

I spammed Poachers, Peasants, and Bowmen, then splurged with three level 3's and one level 2 on the last turn of recruitment. I wound up with 3 high XP Trappers and a Ranger (all started as raw recruits.) I went way negative on gold, so I have a carryover of just +28 gold.
Attachments
TRoW-Peoples_in_Decline_replay.gz
(76.41 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord (Challenging), 1.10.0, 507 gold

Robin Hood (4)

Very clear.

Good.

None. Seeing the small castles of the drakes I heavily overrecruited/recalled 2 rangers, 3 trappers, 2 poachers, knight, pikeman, halberdier, mermen, 2 bowmen and finished on turn 13. (No healers recalled.) Trappers, poacher, pikeman levelled. Likely very dependent on recall list, however this scenario made my recall list even more one sided with now 6 L3 poachers but without a single fugitive or levelled lawful bowman.

Robin Hood (9)

No idea.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Challenging) 1.10.3
581 starting gold, enemies: 190/190/190
Finished turn 10/33

7. As you are facing mostly lvl-2 enemies, it’s hard not to lose a veteran. Furthermore it’s not easy to adapt the own play style because of the drakes being strong at daytime (even though one reads it in the walkthrough). You would expect to be safe if walking slowly in a good hedgehog formation eastwards over the hills – but 3 lvl-2 drakes are able to bring nearly every unit down (except Burin – again he is so much needed as in the whole campaign). If you choose a good melee unit the fire drakes will mass up on the unit. Picking a unit with good ranged attack it will attract drake warriors and thrashers.
I couldn’t make good use of my chaotic units because I had no white mages but only mages of light to support.

As said before it’s very likely to underestimate the mobility of the drakes. It seems they are far off at the other edge of the map, but when it’s their turn they will attack you – checking the opponent’s possible moves is definitely the key here.

I recalled a lvl-3 veteran (what I hate to do), to spearhead and therefore enable my troops to proceed to the east. It might have also worked out to rely more on poachers and to dodge stronger to the north, while letting the drakes get closer to the own keep – followed by encircling them at night. I brought lots of gold with me, so it was not necessary to come up with a really smart strategy.

One should use this scenario to upgrade some more merfolk - you will need some in the scenario after.

Clear

Clear

Not to lose a unit. An enemy with the same favorable time of day.

7. I don’t like losing veterans and it’s hard to run away from the drakes.

No idea.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Losing a veteran made me restart (always from the beginning) several times
Attachments
(57.71 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? hard, 1.11.15, 524 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? 7.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? There's talk at the end about what the drakes will do when their island sinks. Um, there are no drakes any more. Actually, there was one alive at the end, but just one.
(5) Challenges? Having just four recruiting hexes meant I needed to abandon my usual approach of spam, spam, spam, and then a round of veterans. I needed veterans early on to hold the lines - otherwise, the drakes could break through the line and kill a loyal behind, as they did on my first attempt. Trappers and Poachers are key. I stupidly recalled a Fire Mage, thinking of his 10% fire resistance, not thinking of the drakes' 50% fire resistance. I decided not to bring in my Ranger or Master Bowman on my last round of recruiting, as things were going well enough. I had planned to keep an extremely disciplined line, with Burin holding the kink in my line, but it didn't seem necessary at night, so I let my troops envelope the drakes, and by dawn on turn 7 the drakes had lost a leader and so many units that they were no longer a serious threat. I finished 19 turns early.
(6) Fun? 8, an interesting scenario.
(7) Changes? It's a beautiful map, but I felt clausterphobic bringing my Mermen around the right side of the island. It wouldn't be fair for drakes to pin a merman against the board edge there. Some more deep water padding along the right and bottom edges is needed.
Attachments
(83.08 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
Theron

Post by Theron »

difficulty: HARD / wesnoth version: 1.11.15

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
13 200+420 17/33 4-16-7-3-42 (1.11.16/gold rest 42)

Comments:
If you recruit in this scenario expect these units being not more than sacrificial lambs.
Be prepared to lose a veteran.
Attachments
TRoW-Peoples_in_Decline_replay_HARD.gz
(80.73 KiB) Downloaded 771 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / Challenging, 482 gold. Losses and advances en masse, easy to lose track of important units. Net result in the end: new halberdier, new lancer, new huntsman, several advanced merfolk. Didn't want to bring my master bowmen but don't have L2 longbows anymore. No additional healers. Easy to waste money. Finished 13/33 - 175 carryover.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Lord, Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS app ver 1.0.4. Ended on turn 16/33. Starting gold 356. Finishing gold -180. Carry over gold 64.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 10
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clear.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Giant Fire-Breathing Lizards
8. I really enjoyed playing this scenario! I like mermen/mermaids and island hopping. The Drakes were a tough enemy, some could fly the distance of the island. It was important to have a strong defense and pay close attention to the Drakes' extensive fly zones.

I didn't give the lightening rod to Lord Typhon, but instead to Lau, a strong and resilient Triton.
***Edit: I don't know if its the "strong" trait combining with the lightening, but he kicks butt later on!

My Strategy:
I think the way to go here is to recall veterans and get the early bonus. Because this is such a fast-paced scenario, it's important from the get-go to position the units on the terrain that maximizes their strengths and defense.

First I tried recruiting some poachers, but more often than not a Drake would toast them on the first try, leaving my Mages or leaders vulnerable. I felt like I was throwing my gold out the window. So I restarted and instead went with high level veterans and attacked aggressively. The downside was that I spent all my money and went into the red right away. The benefits were a early finish bonus and not as many losses.

Who I recalled (plus Loyals):
Burin, The Awesome Dwarf - went east through the mountains
The Lady and the Mermen - went northeast through the marshes and forested area
Merman Lord Typhon - went south.
2 Huntsmen - these guys did a lot of damage to the cold-blooded lizards at night with their arrows
Assassin paired with Master Bowman - poisoned the reptiles and then shot them down
3 Fugitives/Outlaws - fast moving in the mountains, very effective at night
2 Grand Knights, 2 Royal Guards - went south across the bridge, did well against the Drake Arbiters who can't fly
Paladin (strong, quick) - surprisingly resilient, impressive pierce charges flattened a few of the scaly beasts
2 MoL healers - (one MoL may have been enough)
Silver Mage- (really wasn't very useful here)

I lost a Huntsman and a Royal Guard (not loyal), but gained advancements: a couple Fugatives and four L3 Mermen.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? I would have liked a little more wiggle room between Haldric's keep and the Drakes' castle to the east.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.12.6, Normal, with 450 carry over gold (650 total!)

3, to keep from losing a key unit. Beating it with as much gold as I had would be a piece of cake - I could spam a huge army of poachers and just brute force overrun.

Clear.

Good. Echo other comments about the discussion at the end regarding what "they" are going to do not making sense since I just killed "they."

Keeping drakes from teaming up on and killing a key unit. Trying not to lose my half-leveled poachers.

4. It's a nice change of pace but a bit of a slog.

Nothing comes to mind.
Attachments
(81.96 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here are replays of an unthinkable thing - passing The Rise of Wesnoth campaign on hardest difficulty recruiting only Mages.
The game version is 1.12.6
Attachments
(55.38 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
LordWolfDan

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 13 - Peoples in Decline

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear

- It's good, though it's odd to have drakes in this. When Jessene says "Do I have to tell you "I told you so!"?! makes me love her more

- Trying to avoid having any important units being slaughtered by drakes, because they focus on one and don't let go

- Explain why the drakes are so hostile to humans, because this moves away from their loyal personalities
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.5, Hard

The usual beat everyone up.

There was not much of a dialog. But it was okay.

Paying attention to the movement range of the drakes. I was used to hills slowing down everyone.

-
Attachments
TRoW-Peoples in Decline replay.gz
(42.74 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.

7/10. I had a massive carryover from the last scenario and started with 524 gold, and I employed my usual strategy of spamming fresh recruits as fodder and to get level 2s.

Perfectly clear.

Great. A little more banter between Haldric and Jessene. Haldric, ever the optimist, and Jessene bringing the snark.

Poor terrain and drake enemies bringing major breaking power per hex. Fodder spam worked, although in hindsight I would have wanted more bowmen and poachers levelled up by this point (I had one trapper, I think. I tend to favour the mages over the archers.) Otherwise, poacher + spearman spam ensured that loyals could stay safe, and the scenario was quite doable with acceptable losses.

8/10. Drakes in a mainline campaign, on terrain that favours them - nice. And where mermen are actually usable. I like that this campaign hands you mermen, but actually makes them a valid or even good choice in multiple scenarios after that. Lord Typhon became a Hoplite and got the storm trident.

None.

No.
Attachments
TRoW-Peoples in Decline replay 20210628-012649.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(52.21 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.1, Lord (Difficult)

7, the drakes have far superior mobilty.

Clear.

Clear.

Dealing with the Drakes as they piled onto me while my units can barely move on the terrain. I should have recruited mor e to mitigate that, I took unnecessary losses.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-Peoples in Decline replay 20211116-195031.gz
(48.01 KiB) Downloaded 73 times