The Rise of Wesnoth 13 - Peoples in Decline

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 13 - Peoples in Decline

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 112a hard
2. 7, island was incredibly cramped and those drakes hurt
3. kill leaders, clear a day
4. this scenario seems... weird. like it was just put in as a way to somehow squeeze drakes into this campaign.
5. painful drakes who are suicidially aggressive
6. 3, way to cramped for my tastes
7. a larger island would be really nice... seems weird to have 33 turns when it's so tiny and they drakes throw themselves at you so quickly.

Non-Level 1 Casualities:
2 knights, 1 longbowman, 1 rogue
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy, 1.1.2a

5/10, at the start it was hard and Jessica nearly died... But I killed 80% of the Drakes including 2 leaders on the first/second night.

Kill leaders, easy.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Dragons on a sinking volcano? Hmm...

Getting the trident at the end without fighting the sea serpent.

8/10, Nice action-packed quickie.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
A tad bigger, Sea Serpent there from the start, attacks Drakes aswell?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Peoples in Decline

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty, version 1.1.3

8/10 - craploads of Drakes in a small crowded space.

How could "kill all enemy leaders" not be clear?

Dialog was usual TRoW standard, good. Storyline was borderline, seems like a samewhat contrived excuse to include Drakes. ("Bitey the Serpent", amusing).

There were all these Level 2 overgrown lizards running around. I found the 'second wave' of enemies to be the hardest.

1/10 - Can I give it score lower then 1? Multiple Drakes in small crowded spaces does not make for fun gameplay. That said, it was useful for training up some Mermen.

Change something about the Serpent. I managed to simply grab the trident on the same turn I knocked off the last Drake. Would there be some way to prevent people doing this? It seemed a bit of a cheap way to avoid a tough fight.
Much bigger Island. It would add some interest if the scenario was more of a running battle and less of a pitched fracas.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, circa 1.0
scott wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
I find it hard to compare scenarios for difficulty, as they are difficult in different ways, but on the whole I guess that this scenario fit well, difficulty-wise, with the rest of the campaign. And yes, it's needful to have a chance here to train some of your troops, including the mermen.
scott wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
I don't recall any problem about that.
scott wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialog, as far as it goes, is good, but the storyline here feels like it's missing something. I guess maybe it's missing some detail or development. I'd like to know a little more -- at least some hints -- about who these declining reptilian folk are, why they're here, and why they're declining. Actually, an entire (small) campaign from the perspective of the Drakes, detailing the time leading up to this encounter, would not go amiss, IMO, but failing that, I think this scenario either needs to reveal more, or needs to be suplemented with perhaps a second or third scenario that does so, before Rough Landing. Getting this right could be tricky -- you don't want to go too far and basically end up with a scenario that feels like it exists to tell you history, but on the other hand it would be nice to catch some better glimpses of the backstory. I get the distinct feeling, from the current scenario, that it doesn't _have_ a backstory. If that's true, then someone (Neo?) should write one up, and then bits and pieces of that could be used when beefing up the storyline here.
scott wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Protecting certain units, especially those particularly vulnerable to fire. (This wasn't just all about meeting the stated objectives, but also the obvious unstated objective of finishing in good condition to complete the rest of the campaign.) The drakes were a substantially different foe from what had been seen up to that point in the campaign, so fighting them required different things out of my army. (FWIW, I think this makes the scenario somewhat interesting.)
scott wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
I admit that it was perhaps not as fun as some of the other scenarios in the campaign, but I find it hard to define why. I don't think the inclusion of drakes was the problem; as noted, I think they shake things up and make things interesting. I don't think it's the weak storyline either; gameplay fun is seldom largely a function of storyline. Perhaps it was something to do with the layout of the map. If pressed for more detail, I think I'd have to go back and play it again to refresh my memory.
scott wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
To answer that, I'd definitely have to play it again.
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 7. Drakes can be very dangerous
(3) Very clear
(4) Nothing special... you can't talk seriously with Drakes... they are like Orcs... ( KILL KILL KILL )
(5) Keeping Typhon alive... it seems that the Sea monster wanna kill him at all costs.
(6) 6. Nothing special, the storyline doesn't proceed
(7) Not so much Drakes.
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
TequeñoCrudo

Peoples in Decline

Post by TequeñoCrudo »

1. 1.1.12 Medium
2. 8, I had to restart twice and use a very different strategy from my usual.
3. Very clear.
4. It was just fine; an interesting short break from the main plot.
5. Realizing that if I just recalled all my high level units, several would certainly be killed by those drakes. Finally resorted to lots of disposable spearmen, poachers, and mermen (though several leveled and survived).
6. 9. It's totally different from most of the others and requires a different strategy. Nice to play against something besides orcs & undead.
I like the small size of the island; forces the player to play differently.
7. Maybe have the sea monster appear when you enter the little bay. I grapped the trident on the last turn and didn't have to fight him.
Skyhunter

Post by Skyhunter »

1.3 medium

5, After the second retry it was fairly easy, althought i had to keep away lord and that girl from the battle. I earned a lot of money on that map, i think about 700 or so

Keeping that lord of the sea alive, he is prone to dying. southern part with bridge is hard to hold at the begginng
Pure 10

Well the giant sea thing in the middle is useless, If u take the weapon on the same turn u kill the last drake commander, u don't even have to fight him.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 8
3) Clear
4) Okay
5) Keeping my flanks safe, and keeping a solid front line. First attempt, the drakes would have wiped me out, having got behind my attack force and picking off every mage or injured unit.

In the end, I had to play ultra-defensive, just packing the landing area with troops, with a few L3 swordsmen & halderdiers to stiffen the front line. The drakes are ultra-aggressive, going all-out for a few turns, until they are spent and suddenly the level is empty.

Very expensive due to the need to recall a lot of my best troops to hold the front line together.

6) 4 - a tactical challenge, but too brief and brutal for my taste.
7) No idea; I suspect the things I disliked here are inherent to fighting drakes.
8 ) start gold 715.
Isen

Post by Isen »

1.2.3, hard

Straightforward

Would've thought that after fighting these monsters for the first time, the prince of Southbay would have the good sense to exterminate their offspring.

Lawful opponent made my Mage of Light approach a lot less useful, and the terrain rendered cavalry useless. This was basically a slogging match, except I didn't have the good sense to recruit cannon fodder rather than recall old units.

1. Jungle terrain makes maneuvering impossible, so the only option is to dig in and get mauled. I know this is an accurate representation of jungle warfare, but that doesn't make it anymore fun. To add insult to the injury, the damn reptilians can fly and thus don't face the same problems as you do. Mermen can be used to flank through the swamps here, as I did, but still ended up losing 4 level 3 units along with others. Eugh.

Make the island bigger so there's at least a bit of breathing space in between the drake attacks.
zigomar

Post by zigomar »

Link :
http://raymond.ostertag.free.fr/wesnoth ... of_Wesnoth
Start gold: 364 Level 3: 7 Level 2: 12
End gold: 364 Level 3: 7 Level 2: 10

1.2.6 NORMAL

9 because (3)

Very clear

I did'nt understand that I could recruit merman units. May be it should be clearly written, something like "now you can recruit merman unit".

Time.
Trying to make the AI units stay in the castle.
Find the good units to kill the orc in its island.

It's not fun that the Tryphon come when you have no more gold.
Unbalanced : leader in south easy to kill. Other leader difficult to kill

Make the Tryphon come at the beginning.
Leader in south recruit more while other leaders recruit less.
thesoothsayer

Post by thesoothsayer »

1.2.5 Medium

10, I lost 4 times before I found the ideal approach for me.

Very

Average. Dumb drakes. :P

First wave of suicidal drakes. Once you survive, you can thin out their numbers pretty quickly.

Thinking that I should use chaotic units against them and found that I shouldn't. Finally, I used a strategy of spearman and bowman spamming backed by my mages of light. In the daytime, we're nearly equal and at all other times, my units are superior. Chaotic units just do not work well with mages of light as they tend to suffer from the effects of the light. If I had some white mages left, rotating chaotic and lawful units may have been more successful.

8, I like using level 1 units again. Good thing I had lots of gold coming in to this level.

Nothing, I quite like the challenge.
sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

Normal, 1.6

9. Had to try 3 times to get through.

Clear.

I liked it, although it would have been nice to have had a more compelling reason to stop at the isle.

Drakes! Oh, and the sea monster. The first I finally managed to solve by packing the swamp around my keep with mermen until most of the drakes had gone. The second I got round as others have, by waiting until the last moment to grab the trident.

A task to achieve on the island besides just killing things. Collecting drake eggs?
silent

Post by silent »

Medium 1.6
7. Less had I not stupidly placed certain characters
:roll:
Despite what everyone else has said about this scenario of the campaign, it makes perfect sense to have it here, as it has been previously mentioned by Lady jessica, required to reprovision, and provides a brief insight into the history/beginnings of the drakes since there are no mainline scenarios to say otherwise.
Bad placement of Burin, Haldric, Edmond and forgetting drake leaders were aggressive
6. Learn to control how much you spend, would be my advice, also good place to level bowmen, spearman and poachers
None.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hard 1.6.0

I came into the scenario with 644 gold.

8- Hard. I ended up with 5 or 6 castle loads of recruits to beat the scenario (I don’t remember exactly, and my replay is corrupt). Fighting drakes is really hard. You can deal a lot of damage to them, but they deal a lot back; so it dissolves into a slaughter fest.

Clear

All right. I didn’t see the situation at the beginning an “I told you so” situation. I mean, they had to try diplomacy, and it wasn’t like Haldric expressed disbelief at Jessica’s statement. So that line didn’t seem to me to be all that fitting.

Keeping my units alive. I hate losing them. Also, I was wanting to do this level with only four castle loads. It wasn’t working.

I ended up recalling a Mage of Light and a few experienced mermen, and then recruited hordes of spearmen and poachers (who I didn't mind losing). Even so, it took me a few tries. The drakes are 1) fast, so it is difficult to screen wounded units, 2) heavy hitting, so a bit of bad luck can result in instant death of a full-health unit.

Also, because the drakes are so fast and heavy hitting, you cannot relax your guard at any time. When fighting orcs and undead, I’m used to getting careless when it’s clear I’ve won; but it doesn’t hurt me at all. However, I lost this scenario a couple of times just because I wasn’t paying enough attention to my moves when there were only a couple of drakes left.

4- Meh, not to fun. You are basically trading massive amounts of damage, even when you are sitting on hills and mountains. That makes for a lot of death.

Also, the small size of the map makes strategic maneuvering minimal at best. It ended up dissolving into a massive slaughter-fest; with both sides just sitting beating on each other, seeing who could deal the most damage.

I’d make the map a little bigger. Either that, or reduce the number of drakes (though that would make the level substantially easier).

I’d personally do the former. It would mean that the drake lines wouldn’t clog up so much. It also might allow for a bit of interesting maneuvering to get good terrain. Perhaps put the castle out on a beach; that way, if you stay there recruiting, the drakes are going to hit you on mostly sand and grassland, so you have the option of going with fewer units into the cover of good terrain, or having to block the drakes off from your troops moving up the beach.

Just a thought.

Also, I have another random idea. Have a few drakes (or even one) who are/is a little less xenophobic go with Haldric to the east. Maybe have a small segment of drakes who realize the island is sinking. Maybe they were prevented from leaving by their clan leaders (you don’t cross your best warriors), and who take this opportunity to leave.

Of course, that isn’t precisely in keeping with drake characteristics, so would need some more work put in to it; either a more compelling reason they would go with him, or some tweaks to drake personalities.

And of course, you already have a pile of loyal units; so adding one more may not be a good idea.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book