The Rise of Wesnoth 6 - Temple in the Deep

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 6 - Temple in the Deep

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. hard 112a
2. 4. it's not bad if you control the choke points with the right kind of units and bring enough to cycle the wounded back to heal
3. clear enough
4. clear and interesting enough
5. time is a big factor. the choke point works both ways. They can't swarm me, but I can't get by them. In the end, however, their ranks finally thinned out with enough time to finish the scenario.
6. 5. i like holding choke points. its alright
7. nothing jumps out at me

Non-level 1 casualty report:
None, yay!
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy, 1.1.2a

2/10, no units lost, Dwarfy was killed 80% of their units and lost 1/4 of his hp overall.

Clear, kill and find.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Since when did Princes wear packs? Clear and interesting though.

None.

9/10, I love Dwarfy killing people

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty. Version 1.1.2a

0/10 - dead easy, got it first try with no losses.

Perfectly.

The Lich's opening speech was rather corny. Apart from that, not bad at all.

None really, although the Lich himself gave me a couple of anxious moments with that magical attack of his.

4/10 - A bit too easy. Also, cave terrain was kinda monotonous.

Vary terrain a bit, maybe with the new cave tiles. Some dirt or paving would make things go faster.
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium difficulty
(2) 8. Not enough time
(3) Very clear.
(4) Nothing special.
(5) The Lich was strong... and there wasn't much time.
(6) 6. Not bad
(7) Allowing every troop to open the box with the Ruby... after killing the Lich i had 5 more turns and i send a lancer to open it... ' You must use Haldric to open this '... he was in my fortress.
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
AspirantNemo

Post by AspirantNemo »

Medium, and version 1.2

3. The only real difficulty came from my desire to keep alive 100% of my level 2 (outlaws, and the dwarf, essentially).

Relatively clear. The first time I stupidly let my commander in the cowardly safety of his dungeon... loosing many turns (and thus, money) afterward to bring him up since only him could take the ruby, which I hadn't expected. But I'm a newbie, just discovering the game, this might explain things. :P

Nothing special here.

The two gullets in the middle of the map were really fun and interesting. Choking the undead as well as risking being choked by them, or having to slightly divide my forces fearing some rear attack, etc. Yet, overall it wasn't really a challenge with the Dwarf, the Reverend Edmond and another White Mage to sustain 2 or 3 "dodging" outlaws.

7. Pretty fun, a little short perhaps (although I'm not sure any underground scenario would be more entertaining with greater caves).

I add my voice to the "not fun surprise" effect of having let Haldric in the fortress while he was the only unit able to retreive the Ruby. I suggest two possible variations :
--a) Also allowing any "scenario unit" (Reverend Edmond, the Dwarf, the Wesfolk outlaw leader) to open the chest.
--b) or, and probably better, letting Haldric being the only one who could open the chest, à la King Arthur destiny, but stating it in the beginning of the scenario via some dialogs (which could allow it, being pretty succint, currently). The player would then have to knowingly choose how many turn he stays in the fortress to recruit troops, or goes north.

I'd also consider a little twist, or surprise on the lower side of the map. like some unexpected lake monster appearing only after turn 4 or so (or just as the player army engage/block the choke points). Nothing really obnoxious but threatening to unprotected healers in the second line, for exemple.

- Regards,
- Aspirant Némo.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I liked it... it could be a little bit more difficult in terms of unexpected events

such as ambushes of sea serpents or similaar >:)
Skyhunter

Post by Skyhunter »

1,3 medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) (7)
This scenario is kind of hard, but after i realized i shouldn't go to choke points but to hold the water line and make them enter the water it was really easy. And later when killing Lich the game becames very buggy.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) (2)

It was not really challenging, it only depends on small luck, and nothing special aboout terrain or multiple tactics.

nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

Skyhunter wrote:And later when killing Lich the game becames very buggy.
Please explain.

I personally have lots of fun on this level, but only if I have iron maulers, maybe some royal guards, a L3 Haldric, Burin, and some L2 mages. It's fun to play to your enemies' weaknesses.
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

(1) Easy, game version 1.3.1
(2) I haven't finished it yet... Wesnoth is being somewhat buggy.
(3) Seems pretty clear to me!
(4) I've only seen one line for this scenario, so...
(5) n/a - I haven't finished yet. (I will edit this post when I do finish.)
(6) Well, my new footpads keep dying, is kinda annoying, but seems kinda fun. (GAH! The tentacles regenerate?)
(7) I'll have to see the end first.

One more question... Is it *supposed* to turn your killed units into walking corpses, or is that a glitch caused by development WN?(or possibly something else i suppose)
Hiatus, epitome, colonel, sadist, Tucson, behemoth, quixote...
Okay, how many of those did you pronounce wrong?

My (very incomplete) campaign.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 6
3) Clear
4) Excellent
5) I tried holding back at the lake & fighting them there. This meant dividing my force between the two bridges, though, and the undead chose to attack only on the side where Haldric was stationed - and the unit I gave the holy water to was on the other side. I also broke with my own plan and made sorties across the bridge, which got me into terrible logistical problems moving troops back and forth over the bridge.
6) 9 - great dialog, tactical choices, undead are always fun, and the tentacles are cool
7) -
8 ) start gold 549
RokStar

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Temple of the Deep

Post by RokStar »

Hard, 1.3.2
very
very
Not enough villages! The two columns are too far from the place of the battle, as if skeleton reach the lake all units will become zombies. With the help of a white mage (and a lot of reloads) i was able to end the scenario, but with negative gold amount! I beat the scenario exactly at the last turn!
1, it is frustrating
More "villages", or less tentacles, or less undead, or more slow undead, or more road on the ground, or more turns, or all the previous suggestions.
Isen

Post by Isen »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on
1.2.3, Hard

Clear, although having to open the chest with Haldric as well as defeat the lich cost me a few turns. Thankfully I brought him with my army, unlike some posters here.

Decent enough. Naturally it suffers due to lack of Jessica, but that's necessary story wise.

The cave floor made manouvering difficult. Foolishly lost a trapper here because of that, compromising the effectiveness of my outlaw army.

7. Yay, chokepoints.

A few surprises along the way. Nothing too much, though, keeping in mind that units will only be able to react to it at a snail's pace.
andyw

Post by andyw »

1) 1.2.3 medium and hard. Unless otherwise stated comments refer to hard.
2) ranging from 8 down to 4 (medium) then back up to 8 and eventually down to 1 (hard)
3)very clear
4) ok, I'm not a big one for the storyline but per above it does justify the absence of a character.
5) when playing hard the time and the money, not so much the killing and keeping units alive. Of course fundamentally the difficult part is identifying the optimum strategy and once found not only is it cash positive every term but the units involved get xp uplifts critical to clearwater port.
6) Gets more fun with experience, 7
7, 8) no losses, went from 229 gold at the start to 238 at the end finishing with a turn to spare.
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

I play it on medium and it's unbeatable :(

How am I supposed to play it, if I don't have any leveled outlaw units? I have only lawful human units (well, except that dwarf) and they are slaughthered in one turn by pair of 2-level undead. And I can't get to chokepoints on lich's side with units moving 2 hexes a turn.