The Rise of Wesnoth 5 - The Oldwood

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordWolfDan

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth 5 - The Oldwood

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Easy

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

- Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- It's good. Talking to that ancient wose does seem pretty interesting, seeing it's one of the oldest creatures in existance. The moment with Burin at the start was pretty funny (I speak of axe). The revelation of lich lord and Ruby of Fire is starting to sparkle things up

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

- There weren't actually any difficulties here

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- I'd leave it as it is, seems good to me
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14, Hard

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I like it.

Taking care of the relative huge number of Pillagers. And taking into account that some Pillagers might directly go for my allied leader.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-
Attachments
TRoW-The Oldwood replay.gz
(36.68 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.15.14, Commander (Challenging) (i.e. medium); blind playthrough.

4/10.

Perfectly clear. I see two unknown encampments, there are wanton tree-burners, they are probably orcs.

The characters move along, the story moves along. Also, what is it with these humans and entering inhospitable terrain?
The conversations at the end of the scenario go a long way in painting a picture of the Green Isle and its inhabitants. Good writing there.

- Forest. Humans do not move well in forest. Oddly enough, it's a good terrain for Burin.
- Somewhere in the middle the Wose leader came under threat. It's probably a good idea to reinforce them with some of the units headed east.

6/10 for the gameplay, but the storyline is better than the gameplay in this one.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
TRoW-The Oldwood replay 20210624-170709.gz
1.15.14, Challenging, English
(43.4 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.16.0, Lord (Difficult)

5, you hit the biggest part of Orcs at Dawn, and they prefer to focus the Woses.

Clear.

Clear.

Deciding how many units to send where. (And being aware that your ally needs protection.)

6, lot's of forest, no really forest able units.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TRoW-The Oldwood replay 20211102-163400.gz
(38.35 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

1) 1.16.5 intermediate

(2) 8. Suicidal ally + fog is not a good combination.

(3) clear

(4) Quite good. The orcs are clearly cliché though. No hint of the Lich from them either.

(5) Understanding that I need a unit to see the whereabouts of the Wose leader and distract its enemies from it.

(6) 5. Suicidal allies are never good. Kill-stealing is frustrating also.

(7) It's a bit frustrating to take time to explore the Temple and get no benefit from it... It would be nice if the Lich temple was a side quest that the Temple unlocked, but since it's the principal quest, there's no point.
Also, shared vison with the Ally maybe ? Or dialog to warn about the leader's actions ? Options to guide his strategy ?
Or maybe just being warned that the player has to protect the ally against its own foolishness ?
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Difficulty: Lord Version: 1.17.22

Pretty clear. Maybe a hint that it's advisable to rush a few units to protect the allied leader for players who haven't played this scenario before.

Quite interesting 8/10

I underestimated the eastern enemy and sent a few more units than needed to the south. I lost my quick Mage of Light to the east and had a few problems with poisoned units. I could have lost a couple of levelled units if I was less lucky and had to replenish their health at villages before finishing off the enemy leader to the east (Shock Trooper really helped on that front)

8/10 Really good.

See (3)